This is a fully renovated apartment on the attic level of a 110-year-old home. It is a full height living space (no need to bend down to walk around!) with a spacious bedroom, an en suite full bathroom, a bright open living/dining room with a nifty breakfast corner stocked with a coffee machine, toaster, microwave, kettle, and fridge, and lots of closet space for storage. There’s no full kitchen.
The lower 2 levels of the house are listed separately and can be booked if you have a larger group.
You have full private access to the top-floor unit in a 3-story house. The lower two floors are occupied by other guests. Each floor is independent and has its own door with a lock. There's no private entrance to the unit as all 3 floors use the same front door.
We highly recommend NOT bringing a car. It's very easy to get around, both to NYC and within NJ. A one-way bus ticket to midtown Manhattan costs $3.50 and will take no more than half an hour from our door. Buses run 24 hours a day. We do not provide onsite parking, and it can be tough to find parking in this area. Driving to NYC involves paying a hefty toll at Lincoln Tunnel, battling terrible traffic in the tunnel and midtown Manhattan, and ultimately performing mission impossible of finding parking in the city. Leave your car at home if possible! :)
If you do bring a vehicle, you'll need to find street parking. Our property is in the town of North Bergen right on the border with Guttenberg, so you might end up parking in either of these two towns. The northern half of our street is in North Bergen and the southern half is in Guttenberg.
1. To park in GUTTENBERG:
- Overnight (11pm-7am) parking permits cost $5 and can be purchased outside the police station at 6808 Park Ave
- During the day, depending on your spot you may need to purchase permits that cost $0.25 per half hour. Carefully READ THE SIGN at each spot and pay attention to *street cleaning* hours (typically Mondays and Thursdays)
- Downloading the ParkMobile app on your phone can also help, as some spots have ParkMobile connection
2. To park in NORTH BERGEN:
* You have the option of paying online or at a physical machine
1. To pay online, please search for "North Bergen Parking Authority" and follow the instructions there to apply for a daily parking permit, which costs $10 per 24 hours. We highly recommend you do this before you arrive
** Please note you have the option of purchasing either a daily ($10) or weekly ($25) permit. A daily permit is approved automatically once you pay online but a weekly permit will require review that only takes place during business hours. You risk getting a ticket if you start parking your car before you get the approval. We recommend you purchase daily permits if you're arriving on a weekend to minimize your risk of getting ticketed. **
2. Alternatively, you can go to a physical pay station at 75th St & Blvd E to purchase a paper permit and display it on your car's dashboard:
Parking enforcement can be quite ferocious in this area. However, a little research & preparation before you leave for your trip will go a long way and save you a lot of headache and money :) Make sure your vehicle is parked within a designated spot marked by white (not yellow) lines
### IMPORTANT!! ###
- For your safety and ours, and as disclosed in the listing, we have a security camera in the front of the house. We do not monitor it 24/7 but it does record footage of activity at the front door. If you feel uncomfortable with this, you may look for another property that better suits your needs
- No extra people beyond the number stated in your reservation will be admitted. This number applies to children. If you show up with more people or unauthorized pets they'll be asked to vacate/be removed
- Quiet hours are 10pm-7am and are strictly enforced
- Positively no oily or greasy liquids or solids down the sink drain. Flush NOTHING BUT TOILET PAPER down the toilet. Given the modern look, you may not realize this house is over 110 years old. Please help us protect its plumbing. ***Feminine products, wipes (INCLUDING wipes that say "flushable"), paper towels, tissues, etc must go inside the BIN.*** If you flush anything that's not toilet paper, it can cause a clog and you'll need to pay for the repair.
###### FAQs #######
* Is there a train to Manhattan nearby?
- We're not close to a train station. The nearest PATH stop is in Hoboken, 5 miles away. Buses are the easiest way to get around
* Where's the bus stop and when do the buses run?
- The bus stop is at Blvd E & 72nd St. That is the exact location and the bus stop does not have a "name." Buses run 24/7 and more frequently during the day. Please review our guidebook on how to get to Manhattan as it contains detailed information and step-by-step instructions on how to get your bus tickets ahead of time.
* Can I check in early or check out late?
- It's our job to make sure you have a good time here while on your vacation. We strive to accommodate your schedule but unfortunately it's not always possible to allow an early check-in or late checkout as we frequently have same-day turnovers and it's absolutely critical that we stick to the timelines so we can get the unit prepared for you or the next guest.
* Are there cafes, restaurants, grocery stores within walking distance?
- You bet! There are lots of restaurants, cafes, and shops within walking distance and we firmly believe it's wise to not have a car! :D Some local cafes you can walk to include Las Chicas Bakery on Blvd E (outdoor seating and great views of Manhattan skyline across the street), and Parker (6504 Park Ave). We don't have a grocery store the caliber of Whole Foods or Trader Joe's within walking distance (though both are a short drive away). Within walking distance we have many local bodegas where you can buy snacks, essentials, meat and produce. You won't get selections as large as you'd find at a Trader Joe's, but you should be able to find most basics you need. For a larger grocery store with more fresh produce, we have a Green Way Markets store 12-minute walk away (6411 Park Ave).
* All communication and payments must take place via VRBO. Any attempt to communicate off the platform will result in your account being reported.