All hotels in Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
You can collect Hotels.com® Rewards nights here25 Edinburgh Avenue, Canberra, ACT, 2601, Australia, ‏‎800-491-6126

4.8
    4.8
Kitchen could be a little better stocked in terms of nibble bowls etc, Bathroom needs a loo brush. Mini bar offering may be good too. Overall a excellent stay made all the better by dinner at Monster and wonderful attention by Michael Grey and his team.
Other trip Mar 10, 2015
Not sure the $50 holding-fee on my credit card was kosher. Reception told me it was for "mini-bar" but there was no mini-bar in the South Loft apartment. Companions stayed in Mishi Apartment and they too had the same situation. Hlding $50 but no mini-bar anyway. The loft was All was very good and totally acceptable, with the only minor issue was the Smeg fridge needed a defrosting.
Other trip Mar 10, 2015

"Comfortable home away from home"
Enjoyed my 4 night stay in the Nishi pad - great to have a fully equipped kitchen, washing machine and drier. Wednesday yoga class great. It would have been nice to at least get rubbish cleaned out during the week. Nice location overlooking the lake.
3 night business trip Apr 20, 2015
"Too cool for school"
We stayed in a Nishi One-Bedder at Hotel Hotel. Very clean, modern and trendy. Great view (ask for up high!) The kitchen was excellent but beware, they do not replenish coffee, teas and milk as the apartment is unserviced throughout your stay. I went to ask for another milk (they provided a tiny 100ml) and they said no, sorry, policy etc. etc. Not nice at the price. At least there is a fab grocery store/supermarket/takeaway called 'TwentyOne Cafe & Groceries' nearby on Marcus Clarke Street. Really nice people! They helped us with directions and recommendations for dinner nearby, so they deserve a plug. Anyway, it's a funky zone, cinema underneath and the lobby restaurant/bar is very hip. But the one bedder is not worth the money in my opinion. And no heating. Too cool for school, methinks.
2 night romance trip Apr 24, 2015
Indigo
"Pleasant Tay"
Lovely contemporary design, eco friendly apartments with colour and character. Great location, clean and comfortable. Still hear quite a bit of traffic from the road though at night and they don't have air conditioning. Heaters for the winter arrival. Also only weekly housekeeping so don't throw your towels on the floor in the morning or they'll still be there when you get home.
1 night business trip Apr 1, 2015
Lee
Had a great stay! Great location, excellent apartment and a "smart", eco friendly place. The bars & restaurants were humming, has a cinema complex and a Max Brenner downstairs. We could not fault the young staff at reception, well done guys! Not sure how the eco side of design goes in a hot Canberra summer as no a/c. Only draw-back was the on-site parking charges as not controlled by the hotel. I highly recommend this hotel/apartment complex.
5 night romance trip Apr 9, 2015
Sue
"Fantastic"
Fantastic! Will be back
1 night trip Mar 11, 2015
Christine
Beautiful apartment, and very nicely appointed. Was a touch noisy on Saturday night (as if the walls were not thick enough), but absolutely comfortable, modern, just lovely. The whole place had a great tone - I loved the comment about Foxtel: "You have it, but don't spend all your time inside - there are bikes downstairs!"
2 night family trip Jan 16, 2015
Ben

Best hotel I've ever stay! Beautiful interior and exterior design, friendly staff, exceptional restaurant and fully equipped apartment. The first hotel I've seen provides Aesop body cares!
Other trip Feb 15, 2015
HK

TripAdvisor reviews for Design Icon Apartments

"Design over substance?"
05/07/15 fibiScotland scotland
Absolutely loved the lobby and the check in staff. Staff were very friendly and immediately made a connection with us- they were also knowledgeable and helpful and a real asset to the hotel. The entry system to the apartments was great and convenient with a separate entrance. We booked a 2 bedroom apartment for 2 adults and 2 children. The apartments feel better suited to long term living- there are cupboards after cupboards and wardrobes after wardrobes- so it would suit someone staying for months with lots of belongings very well. The living area is lovely and we enjoyed splendid views over Canberra from huge windows, I loved the 50s furnishings too. The kitchen is really well equipped and has everything you could possibly need. We were there when it was 24c and the apartment was cool enough when the cross ventilation system was in place and I do think even in higher temperatures that it would also be cool enough but the issue is would one want to stay in the apartment with the cross ventilation system? It necessitates leaving the rear windows into a corridor open- and open widely- meaning that people walking past can not only hear inside the apartment but also see inside- it also means leaving the bedroom doors open. The bedrooms are the worst part of the apartment design. They feel very claustrophobic with no windows and are very small, no bedside tables and very little space and obviously with leaving the doors open no privacy. The bathrooms are very nice with good toiletries. I would recommend this apartment for a long term stay especially in cooler seasons. For 2 couples or a family it would also be great in cool weather however the lack of privacy in warm weather would definitely mean that I would not be able to stay in Summer. There was a large balcony with wonderful views but with no furniture to enjoy it so whats the point of it at all?
"Quirky Quirky"
04/20/15 ChrisWSapphire Cofffs Harbour
My wife and I stayed here for 3 nights last weekend. It was part of a group of old friends. Its in a great part of the city near the banks of the lake and a short walk to town. its part of the trendy New Acton area. Its a beautiful building full of timber and is very modern. I loved the lobby/bar/restaurant space with fireplaces - where the smell of the timber is fresh and nice. Its an environmentally friendly property which is nice for its reputation but has some issues for guests. The rooms are not air-conditioned. They allegedly feature flow through air if you open some windows. Lucky for us it wasn't too hot because the traffic noise was alarming when the windows were open and the room was stuffy when they were closed. Their design seemed strange to us. There are hallways or corridors which take up lots of space for no functional purpose (unless they form the wind tunnels used to cool the rooms). There are heaters in the rooms and heated towel rails...not so carbon friendly there. Another quirk which is more show than practical is the keys to get to your floor are plastic cards and the door key is an old fashioned key. Talk about fumbling around pockets to get in. to get from floor to floor we had to go down to the lobby and meet the other guests to be escorted to their room. AND getting in...check in was an endless flurry of words while all the modern features were explained ad nauseam to 4 very tired travellers at 10 pm. The other guests in our party were all in very different styled rooms with no Lakeview although they all paid the same rate and were confirmed as having the same room. The rooms were the Nishi one bed apartments and they featured a double bed....or small queen, no bed side tables and a functional kitchen. TV was very modern and proper digital. I Pad in the room was the compendium. Free wi fi was quick. Rooms are not serviced. There are lots of hotels in Canberra. and for us many better than this property. It is a beautiful and modern space with a great restaurant but there were too many errors and too much emphasis on appearing to be clean and green and not enough delivery on simple practical efficiencies. Perhaps I am too old nowadays (certainly the majority of guests were young) so don't let me put those in search of modern and quirky put you off. But for us Hotel Hotel was disappointing disappointing. I loved the restaurant and that I will review separately.
"Amazingly clean, amazingly designed!"
03/21/15 fermax Sydney, Australia
This place is fascinating. The design inside and outside is a radical break from what you'd get from a standard chain hotel, and even a standard apartment. I stayed in one of the Nishi Pad apartments, which is a Design Icon Apartment managed by Hotel Hotel. It's in a large block shaped like two sides of a triangle. At first appearance, my thought was "How do they squeeze so many rooms into that space?", since each apartment seems crammed against the next. Then I entered and found the amazing design concepts put into these apartments. The Nishi Pad "studio apartment" is long and thin -- only 3m wide. There's a small entrance area, then you walk through the "bedroom" to access the living areas. I write "bedroom" in quotes because the bed lifts up and disappears into the wall, making it an extra room. These Japanese-like touches continue into the hallway, where what appears to be the wall opens up into cupboards that reveal storage space and a laundry. The bathroom, located mid-way down the apartment, has light cleverly coming in from both ends. It has a "real" shower and all amenities are spotlessly clean, as if I'm the first to stay here. Then there's a kitchen, with oven, microwave, stove, full-size fridge and all the dishes, cutlery, equipment and implements you'd need to make meals. This continues to a lounge area with table, couch, flat-screen TV and a balcony overlooking the (admittedly noisy) Parkes Way. The south-facing apartments have the advantage of a view across Lake Burley Griffin, but have to suffer the noise of the roadway. Everything is brightly painted, but with homely touches such as old-style chairs, books on the shelves and an iPad to explain how the apartment works. The iPad also doubles as a second TV, via an eyeTV installed in the apartment. Then there's also the bluetooth Bose speakers for playing music. There are hot-water powered heating units, but for cooling you have to open your balcony door and a tilt-window at the front of the apartment, which provides cross-ventilation. The location is an acceptable walk into the city. Hotel Hotel also provides free bicycles; Canberra is a very cycling-friendly city with hardly any hills within the city area. Within the hotel complex and adjoining buildings are an art-house cinema, fancy restaurant, Max Brenner chocolate cafe, and my favourite... A.Baker -- a bakery/restaurant that has lovely meals. I had breakfast and dinner there, including their fresh-baked Fruit Loaf. Yummy!
"Traffic Noise"
03/01/15 ChrisLuxTravel Sydney, Australia
We booked a one bedder apartment through the hotel-hotel website. It was described as "perched up high within the building" and with "far-reaching views". When we booked in and found our apartment it was on the 4th floor out of 14 and it had views directly onto a 6 lane highway. Every window looked directly at traffic. I went down to reception and pointed out the difference between the wording on their website and reality and they were very pleasant and instantly offered us another room. This was on the ninth floor and while there was no view of the lake ( suggested in all the photos) we were high enough to get a view over the ANU and lots of bushland. The hotel building is great to look at with lots of great art works. The coffees and other drinks in the lobby area are great. We didn't eat at the restaurant. We cooked in the apartment and the kitchen was really good with all the equipment you need. The room was certainly very hot during the day. And the cross - ventilation doesn't really work when there is a hot wind outside. However, I am all in favour of no AC and when it cooled down at night we were able to open all the sliding doors and let the breeze through which cooled the room down. The only problem was that, because of the really loud traffic noise we had to close the doors again to try to sleep and it got a bit stuffy even with the ceiling fan. Even with the sliding doors closed I could hear traffic noise all through the night. The staff we were friendly and the location in terms of proximity to everything is good. You do have to pay the Wilson Carpark rate very time you leave the Carpark which is a pain but it $6 a day/ visit on the weekend which is not too bad as long as you leave the car in the Carpark Overall we will will not return to this hotel due to the noise.
"Great location but a bit different"
02/02/15 johncarroll105 Perth, Western Australia
The location of these units in New Acton is excellence. The views over the Lake are marvellous, it is close to the city centre, there are many good coffee/eating places nearby, and you can easily walk across the the nearby foot bridge to the intellectual/cultural part of the Capital, and mix it with the walkers, runners, riders, and personally-trained Canberrans who inhabit this area with such pleasant physicality. Back at the apartments, the staff are universally pleasant and helpful. HR obviously appoints people who are young, enthusiastic, friendly, probably gifted, and just nice people. Maybe it's the training, but it is probably the selection as well. Canberra just seems to be very friendly. The Apartments are extremely well appointed. All the gear is very modern and of very good quality. Now here is the quirk!! The Hotel is very environmentally organised. There us no air conditioning but coolness is organised through blinds and cross draughts. This worked well except that once you open the front balcony door fops the cross draught, you get the freeway noise from below. It didn't worry us but we were not there during the day. Just think about it. If you go in winter there are heaters. The arrangement of the unit is on a narrow slant so, while there are plenty of cupboards and shelves, some are quite narrow. We stayed there for 3 days and it suited us very well and was good value for money. We would certainly stay again when returning to Canberra because it was pleasant and convenient..
"Great location and views"
01/01/15 kjp921 Sydney, Australia
New Acton is a great area to stay with many restaurant choices and a modern, inexpensive movie complex. We enjoyed being able to go for walks around the lake just across the road too. We stayed in a one bedroom apartment with a well equipped kitchen and an excellent bathroom. The living area was full of natural light and had a lovely view which was one of the main reasons we chose to stay here. We found the sofa to be way too soft and too low for our backs so ended up sitting on the single chair or dining chairs instead. The bed however, was very comfortable. We found it noisy when opening the balcony door for cross ventilation during our stay between Christmas and New Year. It was very warm in the apartment and air conditioning is not provided. There are ceiling fans but they aren't overly effective at cooling the place down. We would stay here again but probably not in summer.
"Best staff in Oz!"
12/13/14 Stephanie B Brisbane, Australia
I loved staying here! Gorgeous apartment, beautifully appointed (there are books!) Few little quirks, but once you figure it all out, this place is a funky adventure! The restaurant in the lobby is fantastic!!! Highly recommended. I'll be staying here every time I visit CBR in future, perfect location by the lake, fun and comfy. The staff are super friendly and helpful, nothing too much trouble. They seem to have hit the right balance between uber-cool and homey. The fitout in the kitchen in the apartment is all luxe!
"Managed by Hotel-Hotel – Design Icon Apartments"
12/02/14 theyellowhouseintheU Canberra, Australia
I stayed at Design Icon Apartments, which is managed by Hotel Hotel. I actually live in Canberra so this was a staycation and what better place to stay than New Acton. Absolutely everything was perfect, from an early check in(I arrived 3 hours early after a nearby breakfast date) to a seamless check out. Great apartment, awesome fit out, and they don't take themselves too seriously. To be honest I couldn't fault a thing, except I would have loved there to be a bath...but really, that is being totally picky. New Acton has great food - Monster in the lobby of Hotel Hotel is one of the best restaurants in Canberra. Make sure you stop by for cocktails and dinner, but also head further afield - as in 300 meters, to A Baker for great regional food and wine. I would absolutely stay there again.
"Design Icon Apartment (Not Hotel-Hotel)"
10/28/14 JnM4045 Sydney, Australia
Managed by Hotel-Hotel – Design Icon Apartments - we stayed in Apt 711 (1 bed apt) mid August 2014. The complex is in New Acton – there are two buildings. An Office Block, and the Nishi Building, almost attached to each other. Hotel-Hotel is in the Nishi Building. The Hotel-Hotel rooms are on the first two levels of this building then Design Icon apartments on all levels above. Two very different offerings. We stayed in the Design Icon Apartments. If you arrive at the front of the building, by taxi, or getting concierge to park your car, you walk straight into reception. We arrived by vehicle and used the carpark. When you arrive on “Hotel” level from the lift, there is no signage directions from this lift to reception. You can figure out where you need to go if you are the investigative type, but if you rely on signage it might be confusing for some. Just ask someone. We arrived at Reception after being shown where that was by a kind friendly staff member. You have to walk through the crowd with your luggage and whatever you have bought with you, to get to reception. This is a maze of negotiating tables/chairs/people. Then you have to walk back through it to get to the lifts to go to your room. If it’s really busy, which it often is, this is just a little/very minor annoyance. You only check in once. But, for some it’s just part of the experience, which I can also understand. Staff are friendly and approachable. Some are very helpful and also knowledgeable of the architecture of the building, which can be an interesting conversation in itself. A lot of people would stay here just to see this building. Ground Level - The whole look and feel of the this place (on the inside) is appealing. But I wonder what it will look like in a few years. It would get very dusty, and those with allergies could suffer if a certain level of dust collecting isn’t maintained. All of the wood, the incredible staircase. It has a theatre in the building, a Max Brenner, there is also a little library near Reception/Concierge which has some interesting books. The Apt - Nishi Building Apt 711 – 1 Bed apt. First impressions – the shaped ceilings and lighting throughout is very nice. There is a void (for heating/cooling control) between the front door and bedroom joined by a big sliding glass door. There is also an upside down pull in window that is used to circulate air. Nice bathroom. Lovely big heavy sliding doors that block out the noise very well. Some light does leak in through the blinds from the balcony however. The bedroom – no leaks of light in that room. The bed is very comfortable. Next time we go to Canberra, will be trying out the Hotel rooms rather than the Icon Apartments. Highly recommended. Great concept with impressive food selections on site and in the local New Acton area.
"Horror"
10/25/14 Boyd L
I'm writng this from the loft bedroom of our apartment at hotel hotel. I rarely write reviews but I can't help this one. We arrived on Thursday night and are leaving on Sunday and I must say I stay in hotels all over the world. I have stayed in many hotels in Canberra but this one has definitely got to be one of the worst. The service and accommodation is very second rate to say the least. We have had no modem wireless access because yhe passwords given dont work and ive given up trying to get someone to come and fix them after 3 calls to reception. The room has not had a cleaner through it since we booked in 2.5 days ago now. We had only 2 towels in the room so they desperately need changing. When we booked in we had to drive a block away to apartment g07 where we are staying but the carpark is in a multi story half a block from there. The room numbers on the allocated car park are all over the place and dont follow any order so we couldnt find the carpark space. We then had to hike with baggage to the room. No help provided. We opened the door of the apartment and there was lots of flower petals that had blown in under the door. The room was hardly prepared for our stay. The carpets were really grotty and in one place it looked like someone had been sick on them. We now have someone who has arrived looking for an upstairs phone to fix our internet connection but guess what there isnt an upstairs phone. She has no idea what shes doing. The service has been abysmal. When we finally got someone to show us where we were parking and show us where our room was located because we were totally lost and we showed or dismay at the state of the room all he could say was have a nice stay over and over like a trained monkey. Not once was there I will attend to it or I will have it fixed in the morning or I will report it immediately to my manager. Nothing? ?? Just have a nice stay in your crappy unclean room. Never ever again will I stay here. Last time in Canberra I stayed at the Aria and it was fabulous. Michael