All hotels in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

• Bar and Beverages
    Standard bar
    Poor vibe
    Bad amenities
"Noisy and scattered but serviceable"
Totally serviceable hostel with a bar on-site. While that has positives, don't plan on getting much sleep without earplugs, especially if it is on a weekend night and you are staying on the first floor, above the bar. Huge plus is the free coffee and muffin from the place next door. Just enough sustenance to get you through the morning. Although the hostel might try to keep you longer due to overbooking problems! My friend and I had to switch rooms on night two and encountered another guest in the same predicament. Unfortunately, the staff struggles to deal with these. I was told and overheard "stick around till 11:00" (um...maybe your guests want to see the city instead of hanging out here for two-three hours?) and "well, check-in normally isn't until 2:00" (right, but we checked in last night) before it was finally worked out to leave our luggage in storage. Even if you book a private room, you may find you need to shuffle a bit. The location is just wonderful, super close to tons of great restaurants and bars.
2 night trip with friends Feb 13, 2016
"The place for earthlings"
Made bunch of new friends from all over world in two day stay
2 night trip Feb 3, 2016
"Only for party people"
I got to the hostel and was assigned a room with no available clean beds because the hostel has a free-for-all policy and does not assign beds. The hostel was noisy all the way to 3.30p.m (on a week night), with drunk guests having a party in the common room, so definitely not a good place for light sleepers. The icing on the cake was that one of the guys in my dorm came back drunk at 1a.m and puked all over the floor in the middle of the room, and the smell drove me out and I escaped to the laundry room to spend the night (since the common room was taken over by a loud, drunk partiers). All in all, a horrible experience and I wouldn't recommend paying money to stay here. Couchsurfing would be a much more restful arrangement.
2 night trip Nov 30, 2015
"Good location and great staff"
The staff did everything they could to amend all the problems that the room had. Thanks!
Other trip Aug 28, 2015
Hitesh
"Solid place, pleasant neighborhood w/ character"
This place was good, not great, for a hostel. Totally fine. Clean and the people were great.Bar downstairs can be loud!
2 night business trip Aug 6, 2015
"F... it! I'm going to BC!"
My getaway weekend was amazing! The Cambie Gastown was great in every way! I got delayed on my way to see RUSH R40 at Rogers Arena and they helped me get checked in and on my way fast so I wouldn't be late for the show(locked up my bag at the desk). They helped me with everything - directions, $$ exchange, questions, etc. And then of course, a bunch of people from the concert came back to the Cambie to party afterwards. It couldn't have been more perfect! The accommodations totally met my expectations - a safe, clean place to sleep with a pillow was all I wanted. It was awesome! Thanks Cambie!!
1 night trip Jul 17, 2015
Located close to waterfront and Canada Place. Nice place, most things downtown are within walking distance. Hostel was good. Old but renovated. shower cubicles were really small though. Free Breakfast was from the cafe nextdoor which was nice though it was just the coffee and the muffin :D
3 night trip Jun 10, 2015
Lakshitha
"Standard Hostel"
Great place for a cheap stay in downtown Vancouver's gastown. Its pretty standard for a hostel. Bedding is included and towels can be borrowed for free (with a deposit) from the front desk. No guests allowed upstairs. Located over a popular bar. Comes with a coupon for a muffin and coffee next door.
3 night business trip Jun 2, 2015
The Staff is extremely helpful. The interior realu needs refurbishment.
Other trip Jun 17, 2015
"It wasn't what I was expecting."
The pictures were completely different from what it looks like in person.
Other trip Jun 11, 2015
"Fair price"
The location was perfect coz between the worst and best street, especially the edge of gastown. The wif was unstable, even cant connect to browser and the hostel was dirty, not user-friendly at all. If you dont mind a relatively worse conditions, it is cheap for you to choose it.
3 night trip May 31, 2015
HO CHING
"Not as promised"
We reserved and received a confirmation for two nights in a two person room. When we arrived, we were told that there was a clerical error and so they could only give us one night in a 2 person room. The second night we had to stay in a stuffy, room with two other guys, who had already Ben in the room and had both the lower bunk beds My upper bunk was right below the fluorescent light ballast, which was radiating heat. Worse sleeping situation I had ever experienced, in spite of the "discount" given. When I reserve and receive confirmation, I expect to have that honored.
2 night romance trip May 22, 2015
Arthur
"noisy, old, but nice location and friendly staff"
Tell us about your stay: we stayed up all night. Joking aside, but the hotel is very noisy and the bar music below does not stop before 3am. While the location is great and the staff is friendly, the hostel is very old and in bad condition.
2 night trip with friends May 22, 2015
"Cambie Hostel in Vancouver!"
The hostel staff was very friendly and very accommodating. It's in a decent location, close to the stadium and arenas while also being close to a rail station. I enjoyed my stay there. Overall it was nice for a hostel.
3 night trip with friends May 13, 2015
Nathan
Great atmosphere, with people from all around the world. Great food. Very helpful staff.
Other trip May 4, 2015
"Good downtown hostel, friendly staff!"
March 2015. Traveling around the Pacific Northwest, needing an affordable room for the night in a good downtown location. Front desk staff was awesome and very helpful, very friendly, one of the reasons I love visiting Canada, and Canadians! It is a hostel, the rooms were small, and nothing special. bathrooms were ok, weather was mild so slept in our bunk beds (with bigger than average mattresses) window open. Not crowded during our off season visit. Plenty of interesting places to walk to, definitely lively downstairs in the popular bar/restaurant as well as nearby locations.
1 night romance trip Mar 7, 2015
Jared
"The Cambie!"
Spent a week at the Hostel and it was a great experience. The Hostel is abit on the scruffy side, but with a great Staff and an awsome pub on the ground floor. If you mind abit noise this is not the hostel for you, but if you want a great atmosphere and meet people from all over the world, this hostel is perfect.
Other trip Dec 25, 2014
Glenn
First time in a hostel. No elevator or towels Rundown Location was good Attached cafe was good
Other trip Oct 3, 2014
"Overpriced and pretty foul"
Decided to spring for my own room instead of the four-bed shared option. Should have checked out the moment I saw what I paid for (for the price I paid I could have had a real hotel room nearby)! While the staff at Cambie Gastown is aces, the location rocks and the restaurant/bar downstairs is fun, the hostel itself is a disaster that needs to either be remodeled, or just torn down: • The rooms have almost no ventilation. • The shared restrooms look ready to fall apart (love the graffiti). • The electrical outlets are as dangerous as they look. • The rooms are the definition of spartan (mine had a beaten-up chair, a tiny little footstool and a bunk-bed). Oh and three corroded, metal lockers that were broken and rusted. • The laundry facilities are a crapshoot (found a working drier on the third try). • The wireless Internet doesn't work on the third floor. • The room doors look and feel as secure as rice paper. • The floor — every floor — squeaks like an elephant is walking down the hall. • The walls are rotting. Cambie Hostel Gastown charges hotel prices for arguably the ugliest, nastiest hostel experience you'll encounter. I think the reason guests aren't allowed isn't because of security, but because your friend would immediately move you to their couch.
Other trip Oct 2, 2014
"Stay away from Cambie Hostel Gastown"
This place was so bad, we asked to cancel after we arrived. The clerk said she couldn't authorize it, but the owner would more than likely approve it, because access was very difficult and unsafe for my mother-in-law. It was a safety issue. The bathrooms were filthy. The room was very small and barely had room for our luggage. The lockers were ridiculously small. They told us the building was historic and over a 100 years old...the problem was it looked like it hadn't been maintained in 100 years. When I respectfully requested a refund, the owner refused. We stayed at another hotel.
Other trip Sep 28, 2014
Felix
"Awful experience."
I can't even slept whole night. This is the worst choice ever. The staffs kept laughing and talking with each other when we were checking in...they didn't care that they were having the guests.
Other trip Sep 19, 2014
"Absolutely HORRIFYING! BUGS!!!!"
The check-in counter came to my chin. The guy behind the counter spent a lot of time looking at the screen. We couldn't really communicate, either way, because of the noise of the pub. I got my key & made my was up the stairs. I had a room to myself which was good because it was stifling & I ended up having to sleep naked. That didn't last long... I thought it was sweat dripping down my body -- NOPE! Flipped on the light & found small BUGS crawling on me! I don't know what kind (likely bed bugs). I was exhausted so I put clothes back on and rolled back to bed, eye mask and ear plugs in place. I woke to the sound of my alarm accompanied by sea gulls. Best part of my stay! The shared women's shower is for the whole first floor. Two stalls for the toilets, 2 for the showers. They're super cramped. And a bit dirty from, I'm assuming, drunk girls from the night before. Pants and shirts all over the floor. I was up at 7 AM which have me zero lines to shower. The hot water was hot for the whole thing. Back in my room to get dressed and ready for my day. When I checked out I got my $10 deposit back and a, "so sorry about your room" when I told them there were bugs. Nothing else. The food voucher was useful. The place next door, owned by the hostel, had great breakfast. For an extra $5 I upgraded to potatoes, toast, eggs, and bacon with tea, cause it's Canada and they offer that here. My breakfast and the gulls were the best part of this trip, hands down.
1 night business trip Aug 15, 2014
Lisa C.
"No room despite reservation"
A friend and I arrived around 7pm having driven from Portland that day. When I went to check in they told me they didn't have my reservation, that their computer system doesn't work well, and so that they don't communicate well with online booking sites like hotels.com. The staff was apologetic, and referred us to the American Backpackers Hostel a few blocks away. NOBODY SHOULD STAY AT THE AMERICAN BACKPACKERS HOSTEL, it is terrible. Referring us to stay there was the worst travel advice I've ever received.
1 night trip with friends Aug 29, 2014
Dylan
"They booked my room"
I reserved a room for the Cambie, and as I was heading to Vancouver I got an email. The person at the front desk emailed me saying they had to cancel my reservation because they booked my room. So I was on my way to a foreign country without a place to stay. That's the last thing I wanted to worry about upon my arrival.
1 night trip with friends Aug 26, 2014
Destiny
"Unfamiliar with Hostels"
I've never stayed in a hostel before, so I had no idea what to expect, and so take this review with a grain of salt. It felt a lot like sleeping in a dorm room-- the showers were small, the rooms were shared, and there was no air conditioning or even air flow, so even though it was fairly cool outside once the sun went down, it was extremely hot in our room even with the window open. On the other hand though, the place was clean, the staff were extraordinarily helpful and kind, the ambiance was super cool (there was a hopping bar/grill downstairs), the other lodgers were friendly, and the location was amazing for the money-- about three blocks from the waterfront by the convention center, if I remember correctly (although three blocks in the other direction was apparently where all the drug addicts hang out). Anyway, I would highly recommend this hostel to anyone (probably 20-30 years old) looking for a clean, cheap place to stay, but I would say that if you're more concerned with comfort than price, it might be worth it to shell out the extra money to stay in a hotel instead.
Other trip Aug 19, 2014
Chelsea
"Economic stay in an expensive city"
This is a hostel, not a 4 star!! It's a place for the young and the young at heart. Bring a towel and slippers. A good bar is attached and partying is welcome!!
Other trip Aug 14, 2014
Johnnie
"Yep, stay here."
Just what I needed. Had some good conversations with other travelers. Could have used two fans in the room, or perhaps one larger, but other than that it was just fine. Liked the secure nature of the facility. Pleasant greeters at desk when i arrived and when I left.
1 night trip Aug 4, 2014
Richard Dorsett
"Rough as guts but fun"
Well for me it was like going back to my wild youth. It's a fire trap, noisy, very basic. The showers were gross and a long way away from the room. But the staff are great, the location is fun and as close to downtown as you want to be. I wouldn't take my girlfriend there but I needed cheap digs close to the train and seabus, and this fit the bill.
1 night trip Jul 9, 2014
"The worst hostel I have ever been"
The rooms are very old, there are only two bathroom for a lot of people.... there is a pub under the hostel, so when you are trying to sleep is like yo are inside the pub, because the music is too loud. I never recommend this hostel to anyone.
Other trip Jun 24, 2014

The following English reviews were posted by hotel guests from other countries:

"A party hostel"
Iv stayed in many hostels in my days. This hostel is grate if you like to party all night every night because the hostel has a big bar that that is open like 9pm-3am everyday. And because the building is so old the sound proofing of the rooms are not very good so you hear every note the from the bar downstairs in your bed. Witch means they have a good sound system but bad if you want to get some sleep after sightseeing all day. So if you would like to party allot or dont mind loud music all night then this is a good place to stay because you probably not going to sleep much in your bed while it's on. But if you want to have a good night sleep there's other hostels out ther. All I'm saying is that it's a noisy hostel.
2 night trip Mar 29, 2016
Leif
NZ
"not recommended to stay"
A room was stink and dirty I could not sleep Coz so noisy I left my cloth but nobody answer the email and no reply.
2 night trip Mar 21, 2016
"Pay for what it's worth"
The location of the hotel is pretty good. It is minutes away from the tourist attraction. However, one the room is pretty rundown and there is only 2 charger point (not behind the beds) for every 4 people. So, it gets difficult to charge your stuffs. Also, the locker looks really old. There is only 3 locker available for the 8 people room. Not a safe place but worth it for the price.
1 night trip Mar 23, 2016
JianHao
"Got lucky and it worked out"
We had a twoday hotel budget but wanted to stay for four, so put our budget to a 2-person room. As a place to essentially sleep, change, and leave our belongings securely, it totally worked. We had an easy time getting in and out, downtown location was easy to park, drive to and from, or walk to local spots. The building is old and the double bunk-beds were adequate. We got lucky by the room assigned to us: incredibly quiet both from outside noise and floor guests. Overall, it fully met our needs and definitely met expectations.
5 night family trip Mar 4, 2016
Wayne
It's the cheapest place that I can find in this app. At the beginning, I am a little worried about my roommate. He gets up really early. So not sleep very well. Anyway, it's cheap. Isn't it
1 night trip Dec 10, 2015
Qing Zhong
was fun good for young party people
3 night trip with friends Nov 12, 2015
"Short trip to VanCity, Entertaining Hostel Exp."
I didn't realize the Hostel was attached to a pub. Great atmosphere on a friday and saturday night. I wouldn't recommend this place if you planned for a quiet nights sleep. You can hear the music from the club playing as if it was directly outside the room door. If your looking for a party place to spend a few nights, this is the place to go..
Other trip Nov 23, 2015
Pdot
"Popular friendly but needs refurbishment"
Very friendly staff. Very popular . But will need a bit of refurbishing as is old and a bit run down.
7 night business trip Oct 2, 2015
"Affordable and great for night life"
Remember this is a hostel and it will be like one. Rooms were clean with wooden bunks and comfortable mattresses, but the hallways had a stink to it. Front desk staff especially Bryan was extremely helpful. The location is great if you're looking for nightlife, you are in the heart of Gastown and everything is within walking distance even the pub downstairs gets filled up. Hostels are great place to meet people, I met a German tourist while i was unlocking the room and went for some drinks with her that same night.
1 night trip Sep 25, 2015
Umair
Hostel for one night only.
1 night romance trip Sep 19, 2015
Marcos
"Worst service ever"
Staff was very unaccomodating. I booked for a share room and planned to only pay $34 a night only to arrive ajd have the staff tell me i booked a full room. I dont know how the switch happened. Expedia must have switched it because i know i booked just for 1 person (me). Bathrooms needed serious revision. Showers were exposed to the hallway and rooms were loud because of the attached pub
Other trip Sep 24, 2015
Monica
First time staying at a hostel. Good experience overall, very nice staff.
1 night trip Sep 6, 2015
Dekotah
"perfect location"
Walking distance to all downtown attractions. Be aware of bedbugs.
Other trip Sep 7, 2015
guinin
"I do not recommend"
The room was little bit dirty. There are small beds which are uncomfortable in the room Anyway cheap. Bath room was also small and uncomfortable.....
2 night trip with friends Aug 28, 2015
Yusuke
"Cambie"
Very secure, never once felt vulnerable. Great staff, and close to everything in gas town. Will definitely stay here again;)
Other trip Aug 24, 2015
Kendra
"cheap but not good"
The price was very cheap, about $30. But there were reasons why this hostel was cheap. First of all, this hostel is very very old. Second, I don't have a locker while I stay in this hostel. it was uncomfortable when I take a shower because i had to bring my important item to showeroom. Third, there is a big pub in samebuilding. Super noisy while night.
Other trip Aug 24, 2015
"avoid"
Rooms had no air conditioning, floorboards had nails sticking out of them. Saw several cockroaches in the bathrooms, I wouldn't trust the food there.
4 night business trip Aug 13, 2015
"Great location , weird staff."
First we went to the wrong hostel and went to its sister one and the front staff were terrible! And once at the gas town one there just wasn't any smiles or chat from the ataff or any suggestions what to do. The location is absolutely great and there's a bar connected to it. The rooms standard , the showers are really not private.
Other trip Jul 15, 2015
shannyn
"Good location but the building is a bit old"
The location is just great! It's in the middle of Downtown (Gastown). The Staff is really friendly and help where they can. But the Washroom facilities of the women are pretty old and there is no space for your tovel and other stuff during the shower (except of the floor). And there was a mouse in our room. The hostel is okay for a short time but there are better hostels in Vancouver.
2 night trip with friends Jun 20, 2015
Nice Hostel/Backpacker Hotel, Rooms a small, well, they have a bed, which is what you expect from a Hostel.
Other trip Jun 23, 2015
Price
"More then accommodating"
Im a local, and so usually I wouldn't be able to stay at the Cambie but I had to be a tour guide for my foreign friend. The people at the front desk were more then happy to let this slide this one time and I'm overly great fun for their hospitality
1 night trip with friends Jun 12, 2015