All hotels in Toronto, Ontario, Canada
96 Gerrard Street EastTorontoONM5B1G7Canada, ‏‎800-491-6126

• Value for money
    Fairly good value for money
    Bad internet service
    Room is not nice
    Uncomfortable
    Dirty
"I would recommend it"
It was pretty muggy without AC, but you can't beat the price. The staff was great as well, pointing us out-of-towners in the right direction for a good time.
2 night trip with friends Aug 14, 2015
"Dreadful"
This place was horrible. Dirty, hot, no wifi, terrible food and I was overcharged by expedia. Never using them again.
Other trip Aug 13, 2015
"Nice."
3 nights stayed. Convenience location. Nice accommodation for that amount of money.
3 night trip Aug 3, 2015
Zaw
"could be cleaner"
very dirty especially floors. small old towel provided. they kick you out at 10 am. breakfast is a +
Other trip Aug 10, 2015
"NICE HOTEL"
I REALLY ENJOY! GOOD SERVICE AND FRIENDLY STAFF, I WILL RETURN
HECTOR ALBERTO
"Nice hotel for the Pan-Am Games"
I was in town for the Pan-Am Games, my third visit to Canada and first to Toronto. Can't beat the price, this was why I chose the place. Pleased how the cost of the room included a meal plan in their dining hall, breakfast. Great location in the downtown area, I walked a lot to where I needed to be. I had lived in college dormitories for 2 of my 4 years at the U. of Iowa, so the small room was no big deal. And since I was busy for most of my time there, a room to sleep in was all I really needed.
5 night trip Jul 15, 2015
lyle
In town for Pan Am Games in July, so I was only there from about midnight til about 8:30 AM each day. Would have been unbearably hot during the day even on the north side where I was or especially on the south and west. Bring a fan. Furnishings were Spartan: bed, desk, chair, shelves and dim overhead light. Shared bath/showers were small and minimally clean. Security was pretty good and the breakfast was sufficient (cereal, yogurt, coffee and a breakfast bar for later). Seemed very busy, so it fills a need, but it probably won't fill mine on my next trip.
Other trip Jul 21, 2015
We spent minimal time in the hotel as we were in town for a wedding. With Toronto prices as they are, this was an adequate place to crash after the wedding party. No frills were expected, and none were provided.
Other trip Jul 12, 2015
"Great location, low cost."
Stayed there last August and came back. College dormitory used as hotel/hostel. Four item breakfast, shared breakfast, wifi in common areas only. Great location, two blocks from Yonge/Dundas Square. Will go back.
3 night trip Jun 19, 2015
"Just like the pictures show"
I stayed here for two night on a trip to toronto, and as very pleased with my experience and stay, the rooms are identical to what the photos show,and are perfect for someone ho doesnt plan on spending alot of time in the room, if you plan on spending alot of time sight seeing or visiting the city then this is a great place, breakfast was pleasing and the staff was very helpful in answering any questions i may of had, they also helped arrange a great day trip to the Niagara Falls, location is close to everything and i did not feel out of place walking anywhere.I will definitely stay here againa nd would highly recomend it to any solo travelers or college kids..
Other trip Jun 20, 2015
"Sleep Cheap in Toronto"
This was my second stay at this university dormitory, run as a co-operative hostel by the student residents. Rooms are simple and are in suites which include a kitchen/common room. The beds are a little tired, and the heat is turned off for the summer. Each room is supplied with sheets, a comforter and soap. Breakfast is included and consists of four items. One can choose from cold cereal, in-house baked pastries, toast, bagels, yogurt, granola or cereal bars, hot beverages, juices and juice drinks and fresh fruit. They are happy to pack any items up in a bag for a later meal and will make a sandwich lunch for a modest fee. The top floor lounge is air-conditioned and is the site of the free wi-fi. There is also a roof deck. The hostel is handy to Ryerson University and is a one-block walk to a tram line, all really easy to access. This place is great for inexpensive travel, but remember it's open only from late May through August.
3 night trip with friends Jun 3, 2015
Francis E.
Not many furniture, no private bathroom but clean and quiet with good price.
Other trip Jun 1, 2015
"Love hotel"
stuff were so niceヾ(@⌒ー⌒@)ノThank you so muchヾ(@⌒ー⌒@)ノ And breakfast is Good.
Response by Neill-Wycik Backpackers Hotel
Thank you for staying with us. We are happy you enjoyed your stay!
1 night romance trip May 24, 2015
Naomi
"- 1 Star"
If I had to rate this hotel, from 1 star to 5 stars I would give it -1. The living conditions are horrible, it is dirty, and the worst are bathrooms... I did not want to brush my teeth because of the disgusting small and overall filth.
Other trip Aug 27, 2014
Jose
"Cheap Hotel close to the downtown"
The hotel is cheap, If you are looking for a cheap place close to the down town , then this place is a good choice.
Other trip Aug 25, 2014
Don't expect anything. You get what you pay. It's a cheap hotel with basic necessities. Not clean. There was no fan or room temperature control in the room. Breakfast is free and they allow only 4 items in breakfast.
Other trip Aug 22, 2014
Staff people was amazing, better I found in Canada! The view at 21th floor is stupendous! But, the smell was unbearable!
Other trip Aug 22, 2014
"Barebones dorm room"
Room was not ready when I entered it. Had to tell staff and they sent someone to bring a towel and make up the bed. Floor of room was linoleum and was dirty. No a/c in room, upgrade to a/c-room was not available. Pillow was tiny and felt like a bag of cotton-balls. Shared bathroom was clean as was the separate shower/bathtub room. Security in the hotel was good. I felt safe even though the immediate neighborhood seemed a little shaky. Location was excellent for the Eaton Center and subway/trolley.
Other trip Aug 16, 2014
"Perfect location"
This is not a hotel, but a hostel. So the listing in Expedia is misleading. But the location is perfect. Not only because it is close to the typical city center, but also because it is so close to Upper Church Street, one of my favorites. The young staff was perfect. I fell into a noisy apartment (a group of friends into parties and loud music. I was the only "stranger" in the apartment) They changed my room to a much better one in an another apartment on the 21st floor with great view. They were also prepared for first aid when I cut my hand at the lockers.
Other trip Aug 15, 2014
"Happy as it was as expected"
If you are looking for a cheap convenient place to stay and are OK with shared bath and dorm room conditions, then consider this place. Great value. Just don't expect a hotel! No TV in room if that is important to you for example. Room doors are tight so it is almost impossible to close them quietly so you may be woken up (and you might wake up your neighbors). $17 charge or so if you check out after 10am. Baggage storage in basement on check out day, but have the $2 canadian coin handy to feed the storage locker! Bring your own shampoo, tho soap and towel are provided.
5 night trip Aug 6, 2014
"Location"
Great location. Old college dorm, floor of room needs to be scrubbed. Price was low, but parking was a bit troublesome. Their garage was full, had to scramble to find overnight street spots, then pay for day parking at a private lot. Staff was very personable. Got a city tour pass at hotel for 30$ that sold at the bus for 39$. Continental breakfast included was good. Wifi only in cafe and 22nd floor lounge.
2 night trip Aug 8, 2014
"It is what it is"
I've stayed here for years but the past few I've noticed the building has really gone downhill The main issue was cleanliness-it was filthy Bathrooms never cleaned...moldy Hallway rugs disgusting Sheets and towels were filled with stains and hair Other than that-for the price don't expect luxury
2 night business trip Jul 30, 2014
Ryan
"Great College hostel in the city"
This was my first experience at a hostel and I was very impressed. The staff is young, friendly, and very helpful. Also very honest. The room was small, but It was clean and worth what I paid. The free breakfast is a bit skimpy and cold, but whatever. Travel light, eat light. The hostel is in perfect walking distance for absolutely anything you want to do. Clubs? The lake? Chinatown? It's all only a few scenic blocks away if you don't mind the trek. I loved the sense of community within the hostel. Yes, it's not a 5 star hotel, and it could use a bit of remodeling, but they do pub crawls and gardening and astronomy classes and movie nights. You'd think people were living there for years, and I suppose you can if you wanted. All in all, I enjoyed it and I wouldn't mind if all hostels were in the same spirit as this one.
Other trip Jul 18, 2014
"Great location, great price"
Can't beat this deal. Nice rooms. Perfect if you don't mind sharing restrooms with other guests. It appeared that there were university students living there.
2 night trip Jul 4, 2014
Mina
"Convenient location"
You get what you pay for. Still, overall it was not bad at all. Looks kind of beat up, but my bed was clean, room was clean, showers were ok. Free breakfast was decent. Location was really convenient, which was great for somebody who just wants to walk around downtown Toronto alot.
1 night trip with friends Jul 4, 2014
"Good location to downtown"
Small rooms very basic no aircondition makes sleeping very uncomfortable
Other trip Jul 1, 2014
"Never stay in this prison"
it is really unbelievable bad hotel , you could not called it a hotel even hostel, room is very dirty and poor , first night elevator was broken and my room in the 16th floor. breakfast very poor (there continental breakfast is only 4 items any thing you ea or drink counted as one even cup of tea. and you have to pay for any thing else. staff not good at all.
Other trip Jun 27, 2014
ibrahim
"Great option close to centre of downtown"
Best option for backpackers near the downtown.
1 night trip with friends Jun 16, 2014
Samir
"Spartan but good"
Bathroom could use a little attention. Faucet drips and shower handle comes off in your hand. Bathroom wasn't cleaned once while I was there. Other than that, the staff were very friendly. Location was nice. Hotel was quiet. As long as you don't mind spartan accommodations, it's a nice place to stay on the cheap.
Other trip Jun 17, 2014
C
"Sleep Cheap in Toronto"
The Neill-Wycik is a college residence, with a difference. It is run as a cooperative by the students, and from May to August they open it as a hostel. The variously-sized rooms and suites are arranged in pods or corridors of six rooms each with two small but private bathrooms. Ours was just across the hall and we had to wait for it only once in four days. If that had been a problem, there was another five or six steps away. The rooms are not air-conditioned, but each has a table fan which, with the fully opened windows, kept the room comfortable. On the top floor is an air-conditioned TV and computer lounge, with strong wi-fi connections and a snack bar which served various foods. They will pack a full or half bag lunch for guests at very reasonable prices. Breakfast (included) in the first-floor cafe consisted of cereals, beverages (apple, orange and cranberry juices-not just juice drinks), teas or coffee, pastries (muffins, croissants etc,) which are baked in-house , yogurt, fresh fruit and granola bars. (Choice of four items with each breakfast), They serve till 11 am and will pack up your choices for lunch later. The front desk is staffed 24-/7 and was quick to bring extra towels or soap, as well as to take care of any complaints. located a five-minute walk between two streetcar lines, the Neill-Wycik was a real find. Would stay again.
3 night trip Jun 10, 2014
Good location - walking distance to shops, train and city bikes, nice view. Good service - checked in early, staff were friendly but all seemed to be students so occasionally got distracted from customers with socialising. Poor room cleanliness - floor was dirty/dusty, bed had someone else's hairs on it. Poor beds - in a two single bed room one was a cheap mattress, the other a springy, lumpy foldout/camp bed. Adequate amenities - shared bathrooms as expected, but faucet handles coming off in one's hand, a door that stuck shut, taps that couldn't be turned off completely, ratty old towels provided. There is a shared kitchen too, but no utensils or supplies are provided. Good breakfast - free breakfast was limited in the amount you could have, but the options were reasonable.
3 night trip with friends May 30, 2014

The following English reviews were posted by hotel guests from other countries:

"You will cook in a room here!"
Unfortunately, last year they have made it impossible to open the room windows more than 4 inches! So when it is 35C outside and the sun is shining you room will be an oven because there is no AC nor ventilation ! The price was great but sleeping is impossible in a sauna. The building is from the 70s and needs a thorough scrub down and polishing.
1 night trip Aug 22, 2015
"Not worth the money"
Chose the hotel because of parking available. Was not told on a first come basis and no parking was available. Windows open only 3 inches and no airconditioning. Breakfast is terrible. Choose 4 items (muffins, bagels, fruit, cereal, juice or coffee). Shared bathrooms/showers. 2 small beds, wood shelves and a garbage can is the full description of the rooms. If I was homeless this is a 5 star resort. Me being middle class would give this 1 star over zero stars because the room was clean and staff fairly friendly.
Other trip Aug 25, 2015
Todd
"Horrible"
Worst hostel I,ve ever been in USA. Tiny Room and absolutly dirty, dump full of Last guest garbage; window is locked and no A/C. Restroom dirty and shower full of fungus (tiles and courtain). "Continental Breakfast " continental" = a jock!! Check.out at 10:00 and no lockers working
Other trip Aug 23, 2015
Juan
Great location in the heart of downtown toronto. Staff very friendly and helpfull. Discount coupons on some local attractions. Rooms are what you would expect for this type of place. Bathroom could have been cleaner.
Other trip Aug 22, 2015
"terrible hostels"
no electric fan during summer, the window screen damaged/has a big hole on it!..the lightings is soft white not a flourescence!unfriendly staff....
Other trip Aug 12, 2015
Denz
Checkout is at 10 am really??! Not logical
1 night trip with friends Aug 1, 2015
Jude
"This place is good for students"
The hotel security is good. Everyone need to show your key when you come back. This place suitable for students or low incomes. The location is a bit scary. We booked two night but only stayed one night. This place is not for us. Complimentary breakfast is decent. I would see it is better than many motels I have stayed. I took a picture of night Toronto from the rooftop deck. The view is amazing.
2 night family trip Jul 31, 2015
Zheng
"Downtown loc is excellent"
No AC it's too hot I can't sleep well plus noises and door bangs no one clean
Other trip Aug 4, 2015
Good hotel for what you pay for. The bathroom and kitchen is shared with other people in your unit (i think 5 other rooms). The room was small but it was perfect for us since we only really needed the room to sleep in during the night. Breakfast was ok, but they only let you pick out 4 items
"Hot and loud"
No air conditioning made the room into a sauna. Very loud noise from the street. Literally couldn't sleep.
Shane
"Excellent downtown location."
Good accommodation for single traveller. Continental breakfast for unfussy guests to start the day. Very hot weather during my stay. The small square fan helps a little to keep cool. People working at hotel are helpful.
Other trip Aug 3, 2015
KS
"Ok, for the price."
I'm only rating this a 3, because the heat was unbearable inside the room. Somehow, I missed the part were it said that rooms didn't have A/C. Otherwise, it was ok. Room was quite small, but that was totally fine as I was alone. Aw yeah, I forgot something. When you check in, they give you a piece of paper that says that if you want a new towel, to leave yours outside your door... Well, I did that before going out, and when I came back later, I found the same exact towel inside my room. That really made me mad and I now that I think of this, I'm bumping down the rating to 2. So anyway, I'd say it's an okay place to stay, if you want to save a few bucks... But I don't think I'm ever gonna come back.
3 night trip Jul 29, 2015
Hernan
"Hot"
No fan or AC it was pretty warm in the room
2 night trip with friends Jul 22, 2015
"What you get is worth what you paid."
The service was nice and warm. Room condition was a little disappointing. It annoyed me too much that there is no air conditioner and wifi in the room. Shared washroom was no big deal, I can put up with it.
1 night business trip Jul 18, 2015
Qi
"Friendly staff, cheap price, safe, comfortable."
I was worried about staying here after reading all these reviews. I only booked it for one night, in case I wanted to move on. I found this place was perfectly fine and ended up staying here for three more days. Let me break down the hotel for you: Price: cheap, $80 for a 2 person room Security: I felt safe. They lock the doors at 11 pm and you knock to get in. Also, you have to flash them your key when you walk in,so no weirdos can come in. They also make visitors sign in. Kitchen: Clean. Used it. Staff: Friendly. There were 2 to 5 people at the front desk at all times. House keeping knocked every day to see if we wanted new towels. Bathroom: Clean. I saw them wash it myself. Shower: Clean, good pressure. Laundry: $1.75 for washer, $1 for dryer. Breakfast: was included. You get to select four items (bagels toast cereal water coffee fruit etc). I liked it. Wifi: free in the cafeteria. $6/day if you want it in your room. $12/week. The paid wifi was good for multiple devices. Me and the boyfriend connected four devices. Downsides: HOT in summer. No AC in rooms. It was bearable though. Room is tiny, but we didn't care. You share 1 bath and 1 toilet amoung five rooms. My key kept getting stuck in the lock, but that's likely isolates incident.
1 night business trip Jul 16, 2015
"Decent Budget Hotel"
The front desk, location and cost is great. The building is old and rooms are small, but the price and great staff make up for it.
Other trip Jul 16, 2015
when i stayed there. Hotel staff is so nice almost Excellent oneday my friend took the my key so i could not entered room but they trust me and gave extra key to me
Other trip Jul 9, 2015
"Close to downtown :)"
The bed is comfortable..i was able to sleep all night..very convenient location. .worth the pay
Other trip Jul 8, 2015
marie
"Desperately in need of a renovation"
Place could be cleaner, desperately in need of a renovation. Neighborhood is sketchy, but close enough to Yonge. No wifi in rooms, disappointing considering the price.
4 night trip Jun 30, 2015