All hotels in Toronto, Ontario, Canada
96 Gerrard Street East, Toronto, ON, M5B1G7, Canada, ‏‎800-491-6126

2.8
    2.6
    2.6
"Nice hotel for the Pan-Am Games"
I was in town for the Pan-Am Games, my third visit to Canada and first to Toronto. Can't beat the price, this was why I chose the place. Pleased how the cost of the room included a meal plan in their dining hall, breakfast. Great location in the downtown area, I walked a lot to where I needed to be. I had lived in college dormitories for 2 of my 4 years at the U. of Iowa, so the small room was no big deal. And since I was busy for most of my time there, a room to sleep in was all I really needed.
5 night trip Jul 15, 2015
lyle
"Great location, low cost."
Stayed there last August and came back. College dormitory used as hotel/hostel. Four item breakfast, shared breakfast, wifi in common areas only. Great location, two blocks from Yonge/Dundas Square. Will go back.
3 night trip Jun 19, 2015
"Sleep Cheap in Toronto"
This was my second stay at this university dormitory, run as a co-operative hostel by the student residents. Rooms are simple and are in suites which include a kitchen/common room. The beds are a little tired, and the heat is turned off for the summer. Each room is supplied with sheets, a comforter and soap. Breakfast is included and consists of four items. One can choose from cold cereal, in-house baked pastries, toast, bagels, yogurt, granola or cereal bars, hot beverages, juices and juice drinks and fresh fruit. They are happy to pack any items up in a bag for a later meal and will make a sandwich lunch for a modest fee. The top floor lounge is air-conditioned and is the site of the free wi-fi. There is also a roof deck. The hostel is handy to Ryerson University and is a one-block walk to a tram line, all really easy to access. This place is great for inexpensive travel, but remember it's open only from late May through August.
3 night trip with friends Jun 3, 2015
Francis E.
"Love hotel"
stuff were so niceヾ(@⌒ー⌒@)ノThank you so muchヾ(@⌒ー⌒@)ノ And breakfast is Good.
Response by Neill-Wycik Backpackers Hotel
Thank you for staying with us. We are happy you enjoyed your stay!
1 night romance trip May 24, 2015
Naomi
"- 1 Star"
If I had to rate this hotel, from 1 star to 5 stars I would give it -1. The living conditions are horrible, it is dirty, and the worst are bathrooms... I did not want to brush my teeth because of the disgusting small and overall filth.
Other trip Aug 27, 2014
Jose
"Cheap Hotel close to the downtown"
The hotel is cheap, If you are looking for a cheap place close to the down town , then this place is a good choice.
Other trip Aug 25, 2014
Don't expect anything. You get what you pay. It's a cheap hotel with basic necessities. Not clean. There was no fan or room temperature control in the room. Breakfast is free and they allow only 4 items in breakfast.
Other trip Aug 22, 2014
Staff people was amazing, better I found in Canada! The view at 21th floor is stupendous! But, the smell was unbearable!
Other trip Aug 22, 2014
"Barebones dorm room"
Room was not ready when I entered it. Had to tell staff and they sent someone to bring a towel and make up the bed. Floor of room was linoleum and was dirty. No a/c in room, upgrade to a/c-room was not available. Pillow was tiny and felt like a bag of cotton-balls. Shared bathroom was clean as was the separate shower/bathtub room. Security in the hotel was good. I felt safe even though the immediate neighborhood seemed a little shaky. Location was excellent for the Eaton Center and subway/trolley.
Other trip Aug 16, 2014
"Perfect location"
This is not a hotel, but a hostel. So the listing in Expedia is misleading. But the location is perfect. Not only because it is close to the typical city center, but also because it is so close to Upper Church Street, one of my favorites. The young staff was perfect. I fell into a noisy apartment (a group of friends into parties and loud music. I was the only "stranger" in the apartment) They changed my room to a much better one in an another apartment on the 21st floor with great view. They were also prepared for first aid when I cut my hand at the lockers.
Other trip Aug 15, 2014
"Happy as it was as expected"
If you are looking for a cheap convenient place to stay and are OK with shared bath and dorm room conditions, then consider this place. Great value. Just don't expect a hotel! No TV in room if that is important to you for example. Room doors are tight so it is almost impossible to close them quietly so you may be woken up (and you might wake up your neighbors). $17 charge or so if you check out after 10am. Baggage storage in basement on check out day, but have the $2 canadian coin handy to feed the storage locker! Bring your own shampoo, tho soap and towel are provided.
5 night trip Aug 6, 2014
"Location"
Great location. Old college dorm, floor of room needs to be scrubbed. Price was low, but parking was a bit troublesome. Their garage was full, had to scramble to find overnight street spots, then pay for day parking at a private lot. Staff was very personable. Got a city tour pass at hotel for 30$ that sold at the bus for 39$. Continental breakfast included was good. Wifi only in cafe and 22nd floor lounge.
2 night trip Aug 8, 2014
"It is what it is"
I've stayed here for years but the past few I've noticed the building has really gone downhill The main issue was cleanliness-it was filthy Bathrooms never cleaned...moldy Hallway rugs disgusting Sheets and towels were filled with stains and hair Other than that-for the price don't expect luxury
2 night business trip Jul 30, 2014
Ryan
"Great College hostel in the city"
This was my first experience at a hostel and I was very impressed. The staff is young, friendly, and very helpful. Also very honest. The room was small, but It was clean and worth what I paid. The free breakfast is a bit skimpy and cold, but whatever. Travel light, eat light. The hostel is in perfect walking distance for absolutely anything you want to do. Clubs? The lake? Chinatown? It's all only a few scenic blocks away if you don't mind the trek. I loved the sense of community within the hostel. Yes, it's not a 5 star hotel, and it could use a bit of remodeling, but they do pub crawls and gardening and astronomy classes and movie nights. You'd think people were living there for years, and I suppose you can if you wanted. All in all, I enjoyed it and I wouldn't mind if all hostels were in the same spirit as this one.
Other trip Jul 18, 2014
"Great location, great price"
Can't beat this deal. Nice rooms. Perfect if you don't mind sharing restrooms with other guests. It appeared that there were university students living there.
2 night trip Jul 4, 2014
Mina
"Convenient location"
You get what you pay for. Still, overall it was not bad at all. Looks kind of beat up, but my bed was clean, room was clean, showers were ok. Free breakfast was decent. Location was really convenient, which was great for somebody who just wants to walk around downtown Toronto alot.
1 night trip with friends Jul 4, 2014
"Good location to downtown"
Small rooms very basic no aircondition makes sleeping very uncomfortable
Other trip Jul 1, 2014
"Great option close to centre of downtown"
Best option for backpackers near the downtown.
1 night trip with friends Jun 16, 2014
Samir
"Spartan but good"
Bathroom could use a little attention. Faucet drips and shower handle comes off in your hand. Bathroom wasn't cleaned once while I was there. Other than that, the staff were very friendly. Location was nice. Hotel was quiet. As long as you don't mind spartan accommodations, it's a nice place to stay on the cheap.
Other trip Jun 17, 2014
C
"Sleep Cheap in Toronto"
The Neill-Wycik is a college residence, with a difference. It is run as a cooperative by the students, and from May to August they open it as a hostel. The variously-sized rooms and suites are arranged in pods or corridors of six rooms each with two small but private bathrooms. Ours was just across the hall and we had to wait for it only once in four days. If that had been a problem, there was another five or six steps away. The rooms are not air-conditioned, but each has a table fan which, with the fully opened windows, kept the room comfortable. On the top floor is an air-conditioned TV and computer lounge, with strong wi-fi connections and a snack bar which served various foods. They will pack a full or half bag lunch for guests at very reasonable prices. Breakfast (included) in the first-floor cafe consisted of cereals, beverages (apple, orange and cranberry juices-not just juice drinks), teas or coffee, pastries (muffins, croissants etc,) which are baked in-house , yogurt, fresh fruit and granola bars. (Choice of four items with each breakfast), They serve till 11 am and will pack up your choices for lunch later. The front desk is staffed 24-/7 and was quick to bring extra towels or soap, as well as to take care of any complaints. located a five-minute walk between two streetcar lines, the Neill-Wycik was a real find. Would stay again.
3 night trip Jun 10, 2014
Good location - walking distance to shops, train and city bikes, nice view. Good service - checked in early, staff were friendly but all seemed to be students so occasionally got distracted from customers with socialising. Poor room cleanliness - floor was dirty/dusty, bed had someone else's hairs on it. Poor beds - in a two single bed room one was a cheap mattress, the other a springy, lumpy foldout/camp bed. Adequate amenities - shared bathrooms as expected, but faucet handles coming off in one's hand, a door that stuck shut, taps that couldn't be turned off completely, ratty old towels provided. There is a shared kitchen too, but no utensils or supplies are provided. Good breakfast - free breakfast was limited in the amount you could have, but the options were reasonable.
3 night trip with friends May 30, 2014

"Hot"
No fan or AC it was pretty warm in the room
2 night trip with friends Jul 22, 2015
"What you get is worth what you paid."
The service was nice and warm. Room condition was a little disappointing. It annoyed me too much that there is no air conditioner and wifi in the room. Shared washroom was no big deal, I can put up with it.
1 night business trip Jul 18, 2015
Qi
"Friendly staff, cheap price, safe, comfortable."
I was worried about staying here after reading all these reviews. I only booked it for one night, in case I wanted to move on. I found this place was perfectly fine and ended up staying here for three more days. Let me break down the hotel for you: Price: cheap, $80 for a 2 person room Security: I felt safe. They lock the doors at 11 pm and you knock to get in. Also, you have to flash them your key when you walk in,so no weirdos can come in. They also make visitors sign in. Kitchen: Clean. Used it. Staff: Friendly. There were 2 to 5 people at the front desk at all times. House keeping knocked every day to see if we wanted new towels. Bathroom: Clean. I saw them wash it myself. Shower: Clean, good pressure. Laundry: $1.75 for washer, $1 for dryer. Breakfast: was included. You get to select four items (bagels toast cereal water coffee fruit etc). I liked it. Wifi: free in the cafeteria. $6/day if you want it in your room. $12/week. The paid wifi was good for multiple devices. Me and the boyfriend connected four devices. Downsides: HOT in summer. No AC in rooms. It was bearable though. Room is tiny, but we didn't care. You share 1 bath and 1 toilet amoung five rooms. My key kept getting stuck in the lock, but that's likely isolates incident.
1 night business trip Jul 16, 2015
"Desperately in need of a renovation"
Place could be cleaner, desperately in need of a renovation. Neighborhood is sketchy, but close enough to Yonge. No wifi in rooms, disappointing considering the price.
4 night trip Jun 30, 2015
"Cheap and comfortable"
You get what you pay for, basic comforts at a cheap price. Staff is friendly and helpful.
6 night family trip Jun 25, 2015
Brenton
It was fine, but a little run down. I was expecting more entertainment options and once I got used to that and that wifi was only in public areas, it was ok.
2 night trip Jun 30, 2015
Geoff
NZ
"What You Pay Is What You Get (WYPIWYG), I guess"
Room only had 2 single beds with broken matress (both beds) a garbage bin and shelves. Shared bathroom and kitchen (with 3 other rooms) outside the room. They didn't give us any new towels as we put them on the ground outside the room, as instructed on the little paper we were given at the front desk. cheap hotel, cheap breakfast, cheap service, yeah cheap stay.
3 night trip with friends Jun 26, 2015
JP
"Genial"
Will probable go Back next time I'm In toronto
1 night trip Jun 27, 2015
Came to town for a party, and got in late. No problems with readmission or security. Shared bathroom accommodations worked fine, clean and working facilities. Very enjoyable and reasonably priced.
1 night trip with friends Jun 27, 2015
"Trip"
It was convenient and fine
1 night trip Jun 27, 2015
JOE
"Urban camping"
The place is very basic. If you are a backpacking student you will be right at home. As per other reviews the north side high up is a lot quieter and cooler in summer. The breakfast was fine. The neighbourhood is adjacent to the university and the gay hood, so lots of street life but safe enough. Walking distance to most downtown attractions. All in all we had a good nights sleep.
1 night romance trip Jun 18, 2015
Kim Edward
the street is very loud, which you cant blame the hotel for. the rooms are a little dated. I had an OK stay.
2 night trip Jun 19, 2015
"Cheap digs"
Brutal wait for elevators....& there was no fridge in room, as advertised on Hotels.com. ...but the price was right and the area is ok.
1 night trip Jun 19, 2015
"Toronto trip"
Hotel´s location is very good, very close to Yonge Street/Downtown. Hotel stuff was very helpful, friendly and nice which I appreciated a lot. There was also Breakfast buffet which was Ok, but not a real Buffet because you can order only 4 items. You can chose for example a coffee, a chocolate croissant, yoghurt, drinks, bagels et cetera - but only 4 like mentioned. I had my own room but I had to share the bathrooms/restrooms. I didn´t have to wait so long to use the bathroom or restroom because luckily in my floor there were not many people during my stay. Thus I never saw my neighbors. It was sadly not very clean though and I wished there would have been a TV, maybe some pictures or mirrors in the room to feel more comfortable. There was only one towel in the room but you can get more when you ask the room service. Overall the Hotel is nice, reminded me a bit of a student dorm though because of the kitchen and the shared bathrooms/restrooms. The price was good for the location, price and the breakfast! I can imagine to book there again.
Response by Neill-Wycik Backpackers Hotel
Thank you for staying with us and hope you enjoyed your stay in Toronto. We appreciate the feedback. !
4 night trip May 21, 2015
"Its not a hotel but hostel."
Hotels . com mentions its name as Hotel but its a hostel and is appropriate for students. Hotels.com has not written the name of the hotel appropriately. Hotels.com did not mention the hotel appropriately as hostel. Just that staff are friendly . But the rooms are like hostel room. But the hostel rate is quite reasonable in terms to of its location.
2 night trip Aug 8, 2014
Sruti
IN
"Downtown , take time to walk"
Good experience and first time to Visit Toronto , nice city , i travel alone great experience to stay in Hostel , the price is very affordable and walking distance to all shops , my wish comes true I attended the Conference of Joyce Meyer at Air Canada Center , and have a chance to visit Niagara Falls , amazing!
Other trip Aug 31, 2014
"Avoid it at all costs if you can"
The place was very dirty inside and outside the room. Inside the room there were stains all over the place that we didnt think about taking our shoes off. The beds were very poor and seemed not clean. The room was somehow stinking and not enough air circulation. No free wifi in the rooms. The description was misleading by "free wifi" in their page. Free wifi is only available on the ground floor and 22nd floor and we were on 13th floor, so no wifi or we had to pay for it. Nothing inside the room, not even tissue papers. Just two cranky small single beds and that was it. By separate shower they mean that toilette and shower are separate from each other, and doesnt mean that your bathroom is shared while you have your separate shower inside the room. Everything is shared. The hotel staffs were not that friendly or polite and at best were just sarcastic. I told them the second day if they could take care of the dirt and dirty stains inside our room so that we could take off our shoes. He gave me a nasty grin and said that he will put a note for that. From his grin I knew it was not going to happen, which was the case at the end. Not only they didnt mop the ground but they didnt do anything about the room at all. Stinking mess. The "free" break fast was just a shame. You have 4 items to choose and coffee is counted as one of them. So, a coffee, one bagel, a small pack of cereals and a cookie. That was the maximum. The whole experience was reminding me of " les miserables"
Other trip Aug 29, 2014
amir
"Good enough for the low price"
It's actually good enough if you are looking for some places to just sleep over.
Other trip Aug 28, 2014
my daughter and I stayed two nights to attend Joyce Myer event at ACC so the location to the subway was ideal. we like to save money so price was good. but floor was not clean and garbage was not emptied. Desk service and breakfast staff were Friendly and helpful. I would use the hotel again.
2 night trip Aug 21, 2014
"short term stay is ok-close to all must-see sights"
Was cheap, very close (walking distance (15 mins average) or main spots in Toronto. There was no bed bugs, no mice, was okay! The weird thing was one of the receptionists who wanted to check me in asked for my credit card information however I had paid online already.. he said in case something goes wrong, or I lose the key!! that was a bit uncomfortable..they say the WIFI is free but you dont get it in your room. You have to stay in the ground floor (breakfast area) to be able to use it.. otherwise you need to pay to have it in your room.
2 night trip Aug 23, 2014
Tan
"Nothing special, but it served its purpose"
Front desk staff were helpful, and the room itself was depressing to imagine living in for an entire year as a uni student- but it was ok for a night. Atmosphere definitely lacking- don't stay here if you're looking for a hostel-like environment where you can easily meet other people to explore with, because you likely won't find that. Location was convenient, but the streets around it felt a little iffy- had a methhead ask for change and thankfully wander off afterwards. Free breakfast was included, and guests could choose 3 items from a variety of fruits, bagels, granola bars, cereal etc. so that was nice.
1 night trip Aug 14, 2014
Holly
"great deal for a quick stop and go"
spent 3 days in Toronto and a couple of nights in the hotel, definitely ok for the price you pay.... will likely be back if I had a chance
2 night trip Aug 15, 2014
italian occasional tourist
"Good for price"
Great location, price, and room for anyone who simply wants a place to crash.
Other trip Aug 16, 2014
"A very nive Hotel."
Really i enjoyed my stay at this hotel, Clean, quite, nice people and very helpful staff, any question they have a quick answer : i really appreciate, i deeply recommend it for any persons especially for persons with low budget. last thing, the location the hotel is very perfect : middle of downtown of Toronto. thank you.
3 night trip with friends Aug 11, 2014
Youssef
"Bad reception and worst security guy"
Very bad experience. Security staff a mess there. Non co-operative and unknowledgeable reception staff. I booked a room there but security did not allow me to Check in. I took Police help for my room. Hotel is not bad as compared to price but security guard and reception staff specially in night shift are symbols of terror for guests. Please avoid if you at new comer or tourist.
Other trip Aug 14, 2014
Nadeem
"Very poor cleaning service"
They don't clean the rooms and showers. I found lots of hair in my bed. Showers are terrible. With the money I paid, I couldn't expect more.
Other trip Aug 13, 2014
"Great for price"
Can't complain much for such a great deal in Toronto. Floors could use a good mopping and it would've been nice to have Wifi in the room instead of just in the lounge and cafeteria. But bed was clean, continental breakfast was better than expected, and staff was great. They also have lockers for your luggage where I could lock up my suitcase after checkout for the whole day until my flight that night. Highly recommend if you just need a place to crash for a night.
1 night business trip Aug 10, 2014
"Nice staff and location but not very social"
The staff was always amazing and I felt secured, but there wasn't a comfortable area to chill and meet ppl as well as no wifi in the rooms was annoying...
Other trip Aug 11, 2014
Julieta
"Student residences"
It looked newer in the pictures. Old building, cleanliness of the bed was questionable, had to ask housekeeping to change the sheets. Staff is nice, and breakfast is ok. It's pretty close to downtown, so that's a big advantage, but the neighbourhood is slightly weird.
2 night trip Aug 7, 2014