All hotels in Newport, Rhode Island, United States of America
You can collect Welcome Rewards® nights here36 Elm Street, Newport, RI, 02840, United States of America, ‏‎800-491-6126

Score breakdown (from 1 review)

• 5.0
  • 4.0
  • 3.0
  • 2.0
  • 1.0

"Very underwhelming"
Seemed charming for starters but... Breakfast is served throughout 3 affiliated inns on Clark street, not at elm street. We were walked through all 3 just to find a seat, the French toast was just toast but blueberry pancakes were great. Housekeeping did not visit the room until after 5pm daily, the last day they didn't come at all but dropped of linens at 630pm while we were getting ready for dinner. Neighborhood was nice but accommodations were barely acceptable. The bed was far from comfortable, mattress was a valley of fatigue and bedding was notch above goodwill. Overall, it was sketchy at best. Just checking in was problematic despite prior arrangements
5 night business trip Sep 19, 2014

TripAdvisor reviews for Elm Street Inn

"Awful experience!"
08/12/13 TraceyB164 Watertown, Massachusetts
I stayed here with friends Memorial Day weekend 2013 (Friday - Monday) and it was an awful experience. The owner moved us to another location (he owns 6 different locations) to accommodate a 3rd person in our group but failed to tell us that it wasn't in the same location as the other 5 properties and was farther away from America's Cup Avenue and Thames Street. We stayed at the Elm Street Inn on 36 Elm Street. The kitchen was filthy. Crumbs on the kitchen table and dirty dishes in the sink were present everyday b/c it was never cleaned up by staff the entire weekend. We were never told when we first checked in that breakfast wasn't served at that location. We were informed the following day that we had to walk a half mile to the other locations to receive our complimentary breakfast. Doesn't a bed and breakfast serve breakfast on the premises and it is not what guests pay for? Why would a legit business advertise this location as a bed and breakfast if this was not the case? This is just one of the many examples of false advertising. The owner tried to make it up to us by getting coffee delivered in the morning which he told us was available after the fact. I ordered it for 9am on Monday and it wasn't there until 9:30am so I had to call and ask. The staff had no idea that we ordered it even though the owner said "he would personally deliver it." He ended up taking the day off on that day which was checkout day for Memorial Day Weekend. How convenient!!! Saturday we came back to our room to see that the beds were not turned over, no new towels, very little tissues and toilet paper in our room. We did not get that until Sunday even though this should be the daily job of the staff. I had to ask for these tasks to be completed. Paint was peeling on the walls and ceiling. The floors were dirty and had holes in them. I called the owner the week I got home and after talking for a few minutes about the issues, he had to take another call and ultimately we never spoke again even though I left a message for him to call me back. I would not give this person/property any more money. Our accommodations cost $250 per night for 3 people and it wasn't worth it at all!!! This was not a bed and breakfast as advertised. This was a filthy, ignored boarding house property. DO NOT STAY HERE!
"Pet friendly and good location."
09/18/12 tree6199 Middlefield, Connecticut
My husband and I stayed here last week for a last minute end of the summer night. We were looking for a place that let us bring our dog, and the owners said this was their only place they allowed it because the whole house had wood floors. The room was average, bed and bathroom reasonably comfortable. We actually had a very large room on the right side of the building. It had a bedroom with a separate area for a daybed and television. Old furniture, nothing spectacular in terms of ambiance. But like I said, I was thrilled to find a place that let me bring my little baby pomeranian, Bandit, and we all had a great time. Within walking distance to shops, restaurants, and also the bridge that takes you to goat island. There is a little park there on the water where you could sit on benches, read and relax. Good breakfast. Cooked to order, but you have to go to one of their other bed and breakfasts for it. No big deal. I would stay again.
"Last Minute and last room"
08/30/12 AlamoBeerGuy San Antonio, Texas
Was looking for a last minute one night room in Newport and ended up here. The Inns of Newport reception person worked with us to find something and was very honest in saying it was a very small room and the last one they had. However, the rest of the description is what I want to tell. The Elm Street Inn does have several rooms and I can only speak for the one we had which was at the back of the house and was entered from the kitchen. The room had no charm. The door to the room had duct tape on it to cover up some large cracks. The sink was tiny, yet functional. The shower was large and had good water temp and pressure. Could use some more towel rods or hooks. The location was good and an easy walk to all the heart of town. The price seemed high, but this is Newport and everything is over priced. Breakfast was at another associated inn and was more than a five minute walk. Breakfast was OK but nothing to brag about.
"STAY AWAY FROM HERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
08/13/10 sondra1458 Phoenixville, Pennsylvania
If you want an extremely unpleasant experience, then you should definitely make a reservation here! The room pictured on the website is quite beautiful, but in reality, it is a nightmare. When we checked in, we were expecting a lovely suite to accommodate myself and my daughters, but what we found was quite the opposite! Pictured on the room's photo was a beautiful canopy bed with quilt and matching curtains, lovely armoire, coffee table with flowers, and clean, inviting surroundings. Did the room itself look like this in any way? Definitely NOT! The dresser drawers were broken, the lamps did not work, the bed had no quilt, the bathroom was not clean,and the trundle bed had a metal frame which literally made my legs bleed when I constantly ran into it due to lack of space. Breakfast was not on the premises, and this was never explained to us when we made the reservation. One evening our room was not cleaned until 9:30pm, and that was after numerous calls to management. Lesson learned..............do not trust photos on the website. You will be SORRY!
"Nice Place but..."
08/07/08 kr358
Recently stayed at The Elm Street inn. Found it to be in a nice area of town. The only thing that I really thought was strange was that we had to go back to the Clarke house to get our breakfast in the morning. It was about a 8 block walk. Not so terrible but this wasn't explained to us when we made our reservation. One thing I have enjoyed when staying at bed & breakfasts is that you get to know whats what in the area by talking to the owners or people who run it. Not so here as we never really saw anyone until we went to breakfast. Rooms were clean. Not what was pictured on their website though.
"Loved the Inn"
06/29/07 GrahamsGrahams Boston
My Fiance and I took a one night trip down to Newport and stayed at the Elm St Inn. The room and Inn were very clean and comfortable and the staff was absolutely outstanding. We were originally going to stay in the Clarke House which was also nice but there was a wedding party so the owner offered us a room at Elm St so we'd have more privacy. We had the entire floor to ourselves, which made for a very relaxing trip. Elm St Inn is in a quieter part of town but it's only about a block from a nice park right on the water and the visitor center is just around the corner. I would definitely stay again and hopefully for more than one night.
"A Perfect Weekend at the Elm St. Inn"
08/08/06 whelihan Holyoke, MA
The Elm St. Inn is a perfect location for any occasion. I resently spent the weekend there with a bunch of girlfriends and we had a blast! Not only is it located in walking distance from the downtown scene and shops, the rooms were kept in impeccable condition and the staff was always willing and looking to help. The canopy bed, jacuzzi tub & full kitchen made it pleasurable and convenient. I fully recommend the Elm St. Inn to anyone visting Newport.