All hotels in Newport, Rhode Island, United States of America
You can collect Hotels.com® Rewards nights here31 Clarke Street, Newport, RI, 02840, United States of America, ‏‎800-491-6126

"Downtown"
Dirty shower, room way too hot, no a/c provided. Check out at 11 am Asked for 1h late check out- approved. At 10:30 cleaning service was banging on the door. Staff not very friendly.
Other trip Oct 19, 2014
"AF Inn"
Great location . . and setting. Can't say much about the rooms, and bed . . below average
Other trip Oct 19, 2014
We found the Admiral Farragut as a great last minute deal. The building had a warm feel to it and came with free parking. Rick was extremely friendly and helpful and definitely helped make the experience great! We were able to look at the rooms and choose which one we liked best which was a very nice option. We would definitely return!
Other trip Oct 16, 2014
Great location. Very much a B&B but we really enjoyed it. Tasty breakfast too!
1 night trip Oct 12, 2014
"Well run and maintained inn."
Despite its age, the Farragut is an extremely clean and comfortable inn. Well staffed and well run.
Other trip Oct 13, 2014
"Authentic Newport, close to everything"
Perfect location, gracious host, great breakfast. Friendly guests and staff.
4 night business trip Sep 10, 2014
Abbie
"Horrible"
Terribly overpriced. Rooms haven't been touched in decades. Very bad experience.
1 night trip Aug 16, 2014
Great location and staff. Very friendly and good breakfast.
Other trip Aug 21, 2014
Lee
"Great for waterfront events"
Loved the homie feel. Check-in is a little confusing and breakfast was crazy confusing, but totally delish so no biggie! I'd go back in a second!
1 night romance trip Aug 8, 2014
Chewy
Owner of hotel is great, personable, and the location is great. However, my room, amenities, and bathroom were extremely small and the price was extremely high and was definitely not worth it.
1 night trip Aug 1, 2014
"Close to Thames Shopping"
Excellent...extremely friendly staff. great room....loved it and would do it again.
1 night romance trip Jul 14, 2014
Eva Kraus
"Excellent location, easy walking distance"
Overall we were quite pleased with the friendly atmosphere. Service was casual, but we always felt very safe. The location was very convenient to the harbor and many dining location. Getting to the particular street was a little tricky--you better have a detailed Google map in advance. The breakfast in particular was outstanding. We felt it represented an excellent value compared to the alternatives.
Other trip Jul 11, 2014
Our stay was very pleasant. The staff were very friendly and accommodating. We had the opportunity to view several rooms and pick the room we wanted to stay in. This is an old house with uniquely decorated rooms. The rooms were very clean and breakfast was good. I would stay there again.
Other trip Jul 10, 2014
"Overpriced and awful room"
I am never really one to review places, but when you pay a lot for a room and find yourself envious of the rooms your friends got at the Howard Johnson I just had to say something. I have actually had larger rooms on a cruise ship than the room I was in. The toilet had a wall jutting out over it so any time I went to the bathroom I had to tilt my head and body. Not that I watched it, but the TV in the room was from 1984. Even the sheets they used on the bed weren't fitted so when I woke up in the middle of the night I had to remake the bed. All in all, a truly terrible experience. Saying my room was a dump is accurate. The only good thing was the location.
3 night trip Jul 3, 2014
Gregg
"Sad"
From check in, to the room appearance & cleanliness, to the pitiful attempt at breakfast (we sat down for 10 minutes, no one spoke to us about an order & we left) the Inn was a sad and disappointing place. I trusted the current star level online and was severely disappointed. Waste of time and money. Never Again.
"Very overpriced"
I've been visiting Newport for many years and know that you will pay more here for what you get than many other areas in the northeast. However, for the condition and service provided, this bed and breakfast was very overpriced. Similar to many other reviews about the organization that owns this group of b&b's, it is evident that no money is reinvested into the facilities or staff. Everything from the furniture, to the carpets, to the buildings themselves were worn out. The breakfast was slightly above Dunkin Donuts quality. We walked in and no one greeted us, no signs let us know what to do or what was on the menu. We had to walk in the kitchen to find someone who could get us menus. The only fresh food was the eggs, everything else was noticeably microwaved. You're much better off at another b&b or a hotel and going out for breakfast. Overall, a huge disappointment.
Other trip May 30, 2014
"Perfect location for downtown."
Good old fashion charm. Exposed beams, creaky staircase, old doors, and quaint breakfast rooms all add to the charm of the Admiral. Don't bring a 4dr truck though because parking is a little tight. But had I known the B&Bs are all tied together and it looked like one of the other ones had a larger parking area. All in all an affordable great way to see Newport and experience it's 1700 charm.
Other trip May 20, 2014
JoeG

"Charming Newport"
Very charming hotel, walking distance from the harbour and main activities. Free parking. Great staff.Very good breakfast included in the rate. We enjoyed our stay very much!
Other trip Jun 27, 2014
1 night romance trip May 31, 2014

TripAdvisor reviews for Admiral Farragut Inn

"Had to get away"
10/27/14 Mpoc17 Worcester, Massachusetts
Rough week, wife and I decided we had to get away. A quick check of TA and the decision was made to head south to Newport, RI. A quick call to the Admiral Farragut Inn put me in touch with Rick. Rick immediately struck me as a straightforward, down to earth person. He explained what they had available, made some recommendations and the room was booked. Later on that evening I was reading some of the previous reviews on TA, which got me a little concerned, as some were pretty rough. Upon our arrival we were met by a great staff, we checked in very early, which was not a problem, they offered us breakfast that was still being served. I read in the previous reviews that parking was tight, if you have never been to an area which was built in the early part of the 1700s you need to understand that the roads were not made to accommodate modern vehicles, as such, yes the roads are tight but there is ample parking behind the Inn. We were shown our room, which was in the Clarkeston Inn, this is directly across the street from where you check in. I found this to be the quaint part, it seems there are numerous houses you can stay in and they all located in very close proximately. Our room was very large with a king sized bed adorned with lace canopy, private bath and a fireplace. People need to understand you are staying in a Inn which was built in the 1700s so it is not HoJo's, the room was clean, the bed was wonderful. The Inn is very close to everything, you can walk to most areas within 5 mins, unless you wish go to the mansions or out to Ocean Drive. During the two days we there, the staff was great and very attentive. It is obvious that staff is in the hospitality business; they will do whatever it takes to ensure you have a great stay. We will be back soon.
"ask to see the room before you give your credit card"
09/21/14 Bevin O New York, New York, United States
You don't have to believe my review. Just ask to see the room before you give the guy your credit card at check in. If you don't, stay at your own risk. The people that gave this place 5 stars are either being paid or have never stayed in an establishment with any kind of service. Our room was in the attic, three stories up. It was dirty, the shower curtain was hanging off the rod. There is no cleaning service so you don't get your bed made or fresh towels (paying $250 a night I would expect fresh towels). We reserved 930 breakfast for two people and when we came down there was no place to sit. they sent us to a "greenhouse" across the way where a guy was cooking eggs out of a closet (not joking) in a skillet. There was no parking, the owner was aggressive - I should have known when he took my credit card and ran it right away that it was a shady establishment. Two other couples were also requesting their money back after seeing the rooms and the owner refused. I think he gets that a lot, which Is why he runs your card first.
"The Admiral Farragut Inn is absolutely a must!"
09/16/14 Ashley D Boston, Massachusetts
I recently stayed two nights at the Admiral Farragut Inn and was so impressed by everything from the low room rates, to the most genuine and kind service, to how well they have captured a real sense of what It may have been like to live in Newport and be apart of the Revolutionary War 300 years ago. If you like history, this is the spot for you. Definition of charm and character. Just a short 3 minute walk to all the shops and waterfront. I loved the amazing home cooked breakfast with very very sweet servers. A great variety of newspapers to read as well. The food was fantastic! Oh and the bedding was so comfortable!! To say that I was impressed wouldn't come close to how on point this Inn is in all categories. I can't wait to return.
"It was ok."
09/02/14 Natasha G
So because it was a b&b we were expecting something different...the room was average, really small actually. There was a breakfast included in with our room but it was average and even though we set a time to be down to breakfast it was packed and had to wait for a spot to eat to free up. Overall it was average. It's not the worst, but not the best either and im not a picky person.
"Gross and Dirty"
09/02/14 prov1963 New Port Richey, Florida, United States
We stayed for one night during a busy holiday weekend and was completely disappointed. As soon as we entered the hotel we were faced with the tacky murals and dirty walls. The "upgraded" room we were given was on the third floor which meant we had to climb up 3 flights of badly stained, filthy carpet. Imagine hundreds of people climbing stairs carrying coffee cups that had spilled all the way up for 50 years and that's how stained it was...and not only stained but with a variety of other crud that hadn't been vacuumed in months. Totally gross. The grossness poured into our unvacuumed floors and barely cleaned room. Huge cob webs clung to walls, tags from previous guests new clothes were on the carpet, and food crumbs on the floor. The bedroom furniture was cheap and straight out of a bad thrift store. Awful. There was no shampoo or other amenities to make the stay nicer. The owner runs this very expensive place like a Motel 6. There is no ice, creamer for coffee, or anything else to make guests feel welcome or pampered. What an unfortunate waste of a beautifully located B&B. Shame on the owners.
"Bad Experience"
08/21/14 drewb21 chicago
We stayed here for one night last weekend. My wife and I have traveled all over the world and stayed in the full gamut of hotels from awful hostels (in our younger years) to five star hotels varying from Chateaux and Relais properties to Rosewood Group resorts. I have never stayed in a hotel room that was more out of sync with the price paid for it. I am not exaggerating when i say that my wife and I literally both burst into laughter when we walked into the room, fortunately we dont take ourselves very seriously. And we were told, verbatim: If you want a bigger room you can pay more for one. We had no interest in that as it was already 3pm and we intended to spend no time whatsoever in our room. First the price: $450/night including tax. I do not have an issue with the rate if the quality is commensurate. Our room felt like an attic. We were along the roof line in a tiny room. There was a television set from the early 1990's and an alarm clock (unplugged) from the same era. The wood floors and bathroom looked like they hadnt been touched in several decades. The smoke detector had been ripped off the ceiling leaving just the exposed wires and there was a piece of cardboard covering the skylight. The carpeting in the hallway are all stained. I could barely fit in the shower it was so small and i am no giant. I had to turn sideways to get underneath the approximately 8 individual sprays of water coming out of the shower head. There was not a single amenity offered in the hotel, not even a bottle of water left in the room. I think there might have been a breakfast but no one told us about it upon checking in. Once we checked in, if we had any choice in the matter I would have been out of there immediately and demanded a full refund. But on a Saturday night in Newport in August, there is truly nowhere to go. Clearly the proprietors of the Admiral Farragut know this and Fully Take Advantage. As a matter of comparison so the readers know that this price paid is not in-line with where they should be in Newport given the quality, our friends were staying on the same night directly across the street at the Vanderbilt-Grace Hotel (they were booked when we tried getting in). Their room was $600 + tax. Their room and the hotel was beautiful, updated, full amenities, all new furnishings, lovely staff, etc. If our room at Admiral Farragut was truly worth $450 including tax, their room should have been $5,000. The proprietors of the Admiral Farragut should be embarrassed. I would have expressed this to them directly but my wife (not a fan of confrontation) literally would not allow me to go back in upon checkout. Its OK the charge this much for a room, even in an old Inn, but at least put some money into your rooms and provide some level of quality to justify the price.
"Awesome experience, superbly comfortable"
08/19/14 Christine L Clearwater, Florida
I stayed in the Admiral Farragut Inn with my elderly mother recently. We were both very happy with this historic old Inn and with the excellent service we got. The location is excellent - walking distance to the waterfront shops and right in the middle of the historic area of Newport. And we had plenty of room - I do not know what the other people who reviewed this inn are talking about. These people complaining about the smallness of the place just do not appreciate the historic nature of this inn. Yes it is smaller as it is a house from the 1700's! But it's big enough. We had two rooms. My mother needed a ground floor room, which they provided, and which was plenty large enough for her. She had a full bath, closet space, and the most comfortable bed she had slept in in ages. She has back problems - well the bed handled them for the whole 3 nights we were here. We could have easily stayed for a couple of weeks. I had a wonderful room on the second floor with a super-comfortable bed too, a nice-size closet and bath. Everything was in keeping with the colonial nature of the building, but without depriving us of our modern day comforts. I especially liked the hand-painted details in the entryway, in the closet even, the bathroom and on the fireplace mantelpiece. The floors were the original wide planks which you just do not see in modern buildings anymore. Breakfasts were great, cooked to order, and the staff were very friendly and helpful. We did have trouble parking one night as the street is so small in this section of town, but that's part of the charm. This was the best place we stayed during our week-long trip - and that trip included staying at a couple of big-name 5 star hotels in cities nearby. Admiral Farragut beat them hands-down!
"Could be so much better with small effort"
10/13/13 mart166 london
To start we were booked into the Melville inn next door, but when shown our room it was tiny and dark, no TV or space, bare wires hanging from ceiling, we were on 16 day road trip with plenty of luggage and would have been impossible for our 2 suitcases, we complained and was changed to Admiral farragut. I so much wanted to like this inn, but it was let down by too many small things. On the plus side it is in a great position, tight but good free parking and a nice old building. Unfortunately it was let down by the following, poor breakfast (we only ate once), $10 for cold egg and 3 strips of bacon. Rooms lacked maintenance, 2 doors in room squeaked (a problem we cured in a few minutes), the bed squeaked everytime we moved, the skirting (radiators) had panels missing from them, the wardrobe was only about 6'' deep so clothes had to be hung on hooks, but it was not used as looked like it needed a clean and coat of paint, ditto draw space. All the above was mentioned to the owner on check out and he said he would look into it immediately, but considering the price we had paid we should not have needed to point it out, try staying in your own rooms from time to time to see for yourself. If the maintenance issues could be sorted out this would have been a nice place to stay, but on our experience we would have rather saved money staying in one of the chain hotels in Middletown and used the money saved for taking cabs into Newport.
"Tiny Inn"
09/13/13 Wrapitupnow Norfolk, Virginia
We went to the Admiral Farragut Inn on our honeymoon nearly 20 years ago. It was small then and still small after all these years. It is quaint, and the owners are nice but the Inn is really too small for EXTENDED comfort and amenities. It is an old inn and although the furnishings are new and very nice and comfy we had a difficult time turning around in the room, because it is so tiny. I wouldn't stay here for more than one night traveling through Newport, which is a favorite town of ours. Walk up no elevator. The breakfast was good. The prices are steep for what you get. No wifi. No pets. No smoking if you smoke.
"Cozy, Clean, and Comfy"
08/20/13 Lhenry2013 New York City, New York
We had a room on the top floor, it was small but comfortable for two people. It had a rustic feel and the sailing theme was a nice touch of New England. The owner Rick was friendly and made things easy. The breakfast was simple but all you could ask for, including fresh squeezed orange juice. We had the mid-week special of $129 +tax and for that price it is tough to beat, especially when there was free parking! I would recommend this place to a friend looking for something affordable, clean, and in a good location near the pier.