All hotels in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
1906 Haro Street, Vancouver, BC, V6G 1H7, Canada, ‏‎800-491-6126

"Quirky cute hotel"
Short stay; clean room; shared shower was easy enough to deal with (pack a robe and flip-flops). Digital cable box kept cutting out (which was super annoying) -- eventually just switched it with an older analog box that they had (I'm guessing this is a common occurrence). Overall, a cute alternative to the monstrous hotels of downtown.
3 night business trip Aug 8, 2015
"We'd stay there again."
Great hotel where we would stay again. Location near the park and within walking distance of downtown. The only two negatives - no elevator and no A/C are things it can't overcome and honestly didn't bother us given how much we liked everything else. Staff is extremely helpful.
1 night romance trip Aug 8, 2015
"The neighborhood is best in the city"
Funky little hotel. Reminds me of a two or three star European style older hotel. Terrible beds little toilets stalls down the hall one shared shower "closet " down the hall..... So the virtues...the neighborhood is fantastic. Probably the best location in the downtown. Two blocks from Stanley park that is amazingly beautiful. The street it's located on is quiet and two blocks down from denman st. This is a wonderful local area that has great restaurants shops and pubs coffee houses ... I love this neighborhood. Restaurant prices at very low prices. I was amazed at the pricing ..walking down denman takes you quickly to the other water shoreline with a beautiful.... Actual tropical looking beach (planted w Palm trees and flowers looking Mediterranean or Californian ). The Stanley park side going the opposite way on denman is wonderful water marina views of the downtown which to me seems likes view of a mini hong kong city view... I love this city and would come back and stay here again for just the area and this affordable place to stay. Just know it's not luxury, a step up from a hostel but for just a base ...works fine.
1 night trip with friends Aug 6, 2015
Roger
"great deal and location"
The location was great. Nearby the beach and the restaurants. The staff upgraded the room which was very kind. The beds were confortable.
5 night romance trip Jul 12, 2015
Ullisses
Great location and good price! But the noise level of room was not good because restaurant located just next to the hotel. There was no restaurant in the hotel, but no problem! There were so many great restaurant in the street, just 5 to 10 minutes by walk. No need for rent a car. Rental center for bicycle locates near from hotel. You can walk to the Stanley park and English Bay by walk. I will stay in this hotel again this fall.
3 night family trip Jun 26, 2015
Su Min
Price? Reasonable. Staff? Helpful. Location? Outstanding. Would have been a really great stay, except that the room didn't have air conditioning. First time I have stayed in a hotel that used a fan as it's cooling operation. I get that it's not wildly hot in Vancouver, but third floor rooms were just flat uncomfortable. Everything else about the experience was really, really good. Honestly, I would probably stay again, but I'd pay a lot more attention to alternatives in the area.
1 night trip with friends Jul 7, 2015
Jeremy
The hotel is right downtown and two blocks from Standly Park. Very clean and within walking distance of downtown, metro service. For the money the best in the area. The neighborhood is quiet.
1 night family trip Jun 27, 2015
Harold
"If I had a choice I would have stayed elsewhere"
The paring situation was horrible and the hotel did not have enough parking spaces to rent for guests. The hotel is very old.
1 night romance trip Jul 4, 2015
anna
"No A/C and very few services are provided."
This hotel was a disappointment. While the description is accurate on the website, what it doesn't tell you is that there isn't A/C in the hotel and during summer, it is very hot in the room. The fans don't really help. There aren't phones in the room and you have to use a pay phone in the lobby. Also, they don't allow you to keep any food in the room. They say it's for your safety on the room door, but when you ask them why, they tell you that it's because they don't like crumbs in the room! I thought that's why they have housekeeping...to vacuum up crumbs. If you have food, you much check it in to them and you can pick it up with a claim receipt. The shared toilets and showers are shared between 20 rooms and they're at the very end of the hall. The only redeeming factor was one staff named John who helped us carry our bags up the stairs since there is no elevator and we had to drop off our bags at the curb since there are only 8 parking spaces for all 61 rooms and we had to park 2 blocks away and walk back. The other staff member was not very friendly but John was very kind an even gave us our 50-cent pay phone fee back since we were told by the other guy that we couldn't use the hotel phone and had to use the pay phone to make a local call. He felt bad for us and said we shouldn't have had to pay for a call.
1 night romance trip Jun 30, 2015
Lindsey
"Inexpensive accommodation in Stanley park area"
This hotel has an awesome location. I took the Skytrain from the airport to vancouver city centre and the Robson bus to the end of Haro St. Attractive neighbourhood. Lots to do in the area. Very close to Stanley Park, bike rentals, big local grocery store, lots of cafes and restaurants. Vancouver was having an unusual heat wave so air conditioning is not in the hotel. I used the ceiling fan and a desk top fan. The shared toilets and showers were always free when I wanted to use them. I am healthy and had no problem with doing stairs to third floor. Perhaps not a good choice for anyone with mobility problems as you must do stairs to enter hotel. Lots of people on the streets every night so I felt very safe walking and on the bus/ skytrain. Free coffee and pleasant staff. Room very clean.
3 night family trip Jun 25, 2015
E Kim
"Great location and great staff...marginal rooms"
The hotel staff could not have been friendlier or more helpful. The hotel is an inner city, older building and the rooms are small and barren. The bathroom is small and the shower head needs replacing, but for a two night inner city stay, it was just fine.
2 night trip Jun 25, 2015
Eva
"Great budget-friendly option"
This hotel was a wonderful find - located in the West End, it's just a couple of blocks from Stanley Park and the restaurants on Denman and Robson, and a 10 minute walk from English Bay Beach. The hotel itself had a European backpacker lodging vibe - clean, comfortable, well-priced, no frills. We opted for a double room with shared bathroom facilities, and had no trouble accessing the facilities when we needed. Staff were friendly and helpful, going out of their way to give directions, recommendations, and even storing our luggage after check-out so we didn't have to carry it around the city before our flight.
6 night trip with friends Jun 15, 2015
Rebecca
"Adequate, but not comfortable"
We stayed for just one night. We had a place to sleep, which of course, we needed. However, I was not aware upon booking that there was no elevator, no telephone and no air conditioning. The hotel staff was nice, but they were unable to put me in a room on the first or second floors despite my physical limitations. The room they gave us (I had requested two twin beds, but they may not have had that set-up) had one queen sized bed, and it was really, uncomfortably hot...probably above 80 degrees Fahrenheit. Granted, the temperature is not usually that hot in Vancouver, but outside it was perfectly comfortable. There was a fan but only one window, so the air did not circulate. Thankfully, the staff brought our bags up and down from the third floor. There were lots of nice places to eat on a nearby street.
1 night family trip Jun 8, 2015
Carolyn
"Quiet Neighborhood Hotel"
The hotel is in a wonderful quiet neighborhood walking distance from Stanley Park and shopping. The weather was very warm during our stay and our room/the hotel became very hot. There is a small fan in the room, no AC. The room was very clean and comfortable. I would say this hotel is like a glamorous hostel- private rooms, tv, nicer bed all with the bathroom and shower down the hall. During our stay we didn't spend much time in the hotel other than sleeping. I would definitely stay here again.
2 night romance trip Jun 6, 2015
Rachel
"Great value for money - good location clean rooms"
Great location with loads of restaurants around. Easy walk to Stanley park. Very friendly staff that gave great recommendations on where to eat. Practical living room to hang around at night. Great value for money. Rooms are basic but clean
2 night romance trip May 19, 2015
Nice hotel. Very clean and has all essentials. Just wished they had a hair dryer, an iron board and a comfy mattress
Other trip May 26, 2015
nikki
"Good value, great location"
This is an older, budget hotel in a prime location close to Stanley Park. Staff was extremely helpful, and the free wifi worked well. While the neighborhood seemed generally quiet during the day, we found it necessary to open the windows for circulation, and there were noisy people on the street the one night we stayed. Also, our "large queen" room was located right off the stairwell, so we also got foot traffic noise. Overall though, it was a good value for the location.
1 night romance trip May 12, 2015
Cynthia
"Perfect Budget Hotel - Great Value/Neighborhood"
Really enjoyed our stay at the Buchan. It is nothing fancy, but sometimes that is not what you need. You just need a place with helpful staff, a clean, comfortable room - and an affordable price so you can use your hard earned money for the other spoils of travel - food, entertainment, sight seeing, transportation, and shopping. Would definitely come back to stay with them again!
Other trip May 22, 2015
"Great Hotel to stay at."
I loved the Buchan Hotel and it's wonderful old style. It's located in a great part of Vancouver and I felt safe walking around the neighborhood at night. I was very appreciative of the parking space I was able to get and I felt very comfortable leaving my car for the night. The staff was very friendly and super helpful when I was trying to find a location I needed to get to the next day. I would recommend this hotel and will stay here again when I come up to visit friends...
1 night trip with friends May 17, 2015
"www"
A wonderful stay
1 night trip with friends May 11, 2015
"Staff"
The staff was not very helpful in finding restaurants or things to do in the area. They were also never confident when giving directions.
3 night romance trip May 11, 2015
"Hidden gem"
Fantastic area near Stanley Park. Hotel staff was very nice and helped us find things to do and places to go. No nearby rail station, so you either have to take the bus (very close to hotel), rent a car, ride a bike, or walk to get around. We walked everywhere and it was a great way to look at the sights.
2 night romance trip May 6, 2015
Becky
"Econmic hotel for staying short time"
We booked this hotel for its price and location. We were aware that the bathroom was shared, however, we did not realize that the two bathrooms were shared with the guests from the whole floor. The hotel was fairly clean and staff members were helpful and friendly. The hotel was quite old and we can not use the TV remote to change channel as the signal box was hiden behind the TV.
Other trip May 12, 2015
"Clean, efficient and great location."
The Buchan is a great value. Located a couple of blocks from Stanley Park and walkable or a short cab ride to downtown it is a wonderful location. This is a no frills hotel but the room even though small was spotless with modern linens, newer TV and solid WiFi. If you are traveling alone and need a clean reasonable place to stay at a price half of what a major hotel would charge, consider The Buchan.
Other trip Apr 24, 2015
Jerry
"Excellent location"
The hotel is out of date - those wanting new and flash will not be happy here. But it is so well located, quite clean and useable that I had a fine time.
Other trip Apr 4, 2015
"Good budget hotel"
2 night weekday stay. Very lovely neighborhood, a 5 minute walk from Stanley Park and tons of restaurants and bars. This is a perfect location for people who want easy access to downtown, the beach, the park, the grocery store and everything else. Hotel staff was very nice and accommodating. Hotel is an old building, so don't expect fancy modern amenities. Our room was simple, firm mattress, clean with new paint and carpet. I would probably not stay here in the summer due to lack of air conditioning and the fact that the building is old, it will probably feel like a furnace; but I don't know for sure.
Response by The Buchan Hotel
Thank you so much! I'm a big fan of this neighborhood as well. You are right about The Buchan being warm in the summertime. Fortunately, most summers Vancouver doesn't get exceedingly warm, and we are also trying to adapt our rooms to be a little cooler.
2 night romance trip Mar 23, 2015
rachael
"Cute Hotel"
Loved it!! Pictures are true to what it looks like. Older but remodeled. Loved the radiators!! No elevator but it was fine for us. Close walking distance to restaurants. Can't beat the affordable price!
2 night trip with friends Mar 15, 2015
Kathleen
Great service, clean rooms. Excellent location. Good price.
Other trip Mar 12, 2015
mayra
"Hotel"
It was decent for the price. Bathrooms are not in your room they're down the hall. You get a sink and mirror in your room. There's like 4 rooms with a toilet and shower in each room, across the hall. So the toilet and shower are in the same room. I didn't have to wait to use the bathrooms. Parking can be kind of confusing if you're from the U.S. They have "No parking" signs on the street and that means you can't park Between 2 "No Parking" signs. I was able to find street parking overnight and then you get 2 hours free the next day from 9am-11am.
Response by The Buchan Hotel
Thank you so much for your review. The hotel is 30 rooms with bathroom and shower, 30 rooms with shared bathroom and shower. We do charge a premium of $10 for the bathroom and shower in the off season. Next time you're in Vancouver, let me know and we'll set you up with one!. I agree the parking can be confusing, I've lived here 25 years and I still have to read the signs carefully. We do have some parking available for guests at a rate of $10 per night.
1 night trip Mar 5, 2015
"Beautiful place, perfect location."
This is an amazing hotel, in an ideal location. 2-minute walk to water/mountain views on either side. 3-minute walk to Stanley Park, 5-minute walk to Robson Street. The walls are thin, so we heard muffled conversations and bumping into walls. But if that doesn't bother you, and you're looking for a cheap place that still feels safe, clean, and walkable, you're not going to find a better place than this. No frills included, but they have wifi, a nice lounge/library room, hot coffee around the clock, and parking available for a small fee. I will absolutely stay here again!
Other trip Feb 17, 2015
"Like a room without a roof (so HAPPY!)"
A perfect home base for a 2-day adventure w/ my son. Location, location, location. Staff was kind and accommodating, room and building were clean, price very reasonable. Yes, parking is a challenge, and the older building has stairs without an elevator/lift. True, our room was smallish, and a bit crowded. If status and luxury are important, and you have money to spend, you'll want to look elsewhere. As for my son and I; we'll look forward to returning to the Buchan!
2 night family trip Dec 31, 2014
Todd
"Good location, shared bathrooms but was affordable"
Good location next to Stanley Park and walking distance to Robson Street shopping. Was surprised and disappointed to learn the bathrooms and showers are shared by everyone on the floor - single stalls for toilets and showers. The building smelled strongly of urine covered by potpourri an is older (built in 1927) so had a lot of wear and tear, but some interesting character. We got used to all I these things on our stay of 3 nights but I wouldn't tell anyone I know to go stay there.
Other trip Jan 1, 2015
"Has charm but not a lot of space"
The rooms were pretty small -- just barely held 2 double beds and it was a squeeze for our family of four. It's an older building, which gives it charm but not a lot of space. Great location near a lot of good restaurants and Stanley Park.
1 night family trip Dec 23, 2014
"Solid"
Solid choice for the price. In a great area close to Stanley Park and tons of great restaurants.
3 night trip with friends Nov 27, 2014
Miichael
"Comfort of a hotel with the "feel" of a hostel."
We had a great time at this hotel. Staff is friendly, room is what I expected for the price. It's a bit old but not dirty or run-down and it kind of adds to the charm. Trying to find parking is like playing musical chairs with the other cars circling around the streets but eventually we succeeded each night. There are tiny little parking signs that are sometimes confusing. A lot of stalls are for permit holders only and the rest is for 2 hours only unless after 6 or 8pm. Hotel does offer parking for only $10 a day. Buchan is a bit in between a hotel and a hostel. It has a nice community room with activity flyers and free coffee, like at a hostel, but it has the privacy and the cleanliness of a hotel, free towels, soaps/shampoo and room service.
Other trip Dec 1, 2014
"Decent hotel in a nice area"
The Buchan Hotel is quaint and relaxed. It is in an older building but rooms are clean and facilities are adequate. The lobby/reception area is cozy and warm. I found it to be a comfortable place to read. The staff were very friendly, courteous, and helpful. Location is close to a variety of dining options.
"Excellent location, 1block from Stanley Park."
Quiet neighborhood, helpful staff, clean rooms, great location near Stanley park and beaches, what more could you ask for.l
"Nice price and location."
We came into town to run a half marathon. We weren't looking for anything fancy -the price was nice and it was close to the finish line. The staff was very friendly.
Other trip Oct 28, 2014
CC
"Great place!"
The hotel is in an older building, built in 1926, My room was spacious, clean, and comfortable. It is located in a nice neighborhood, convenient to many restaurants and two bus stops within walking distance. The staff was extremely friendly and helpful. My only regret is that there is no breakfast at the hotel.
4 night business trip Oct 18, 2014
No bathroom in hotel room was super annoying.
3 night business trip Oct 18, 2014
Jon
"Great staff and location"
I stayed there for 11 nights and I can't think of a better location to syay in while in Vancouver.
Other trip Oct 21, 2014
"Affordable and Comfortable Accommodations"
This is a very comfortable hotel in a nice neighborhood. The condition of the hotel is consistent with the pictures and everyone was helpful and friendly. Nearby there are many small ethnic restaurants to sample and the beautiful Stanley Park. I would definitely stay here again when my travel takes me to Vancouver.
Other trip Oct 10, 2014
Chuck
Very nice neighborhood at walking distance from Stanley park
Other trip Oct 8, 2014
"Love the West End area of Vancouver"
The Buchan is, for lack of better words, quaint. Certainly not a modern hotel, it is located in a neighborhood of small apartment and condo buildings. Very nice neighborhood, but parking was difficult. We had to park down the road at a pay lot. Problem with the pay lot is that you can only pay for your overnight stay through 6am the following morning. After paying the parking fee, we ended up being lucky to find free street parking for the night just a few buildings down the street. We did love walking down to the waterfront, visiting stores and restaurants on Robson street, and the proximity of the Buchan to Stanley Park (just about 1 block away). The room was clean, the bathroom was tiny, but sufficient, and the staff was friendly.
1 night trip Oct 4, 2014
Dan D.
"Good Location - Older Hotel, Pros/Cons"
Pros: Good location - nice residential area close to Stanley Park and plenty of food places. Just off one of the main shopping streets (Robson). Good Service - everyone at the front desk was very nice and helpful, especially with directions and bus lines. Overall hotel was clean. Cons: Older Hotel - needs some updates: some of the paint was peeling in the room. Room had very small washroom and some floor tiles were cracked/loose. Bed was VERY firm - woke up 2nd day needing to stretch quite a bit. No air conditioning but the weather was nice (late Sept.) - left the small window in the washroom open.
2 night trip Sep 26, 2014
J&C
"really good location."
Very good experience overall. The location is superb very close to Stanley park. The area has lots of great restaurants and bars.
Other trip Sep 29, 2014
Jay
"Old and not like the pictures at all."
The best thing about the hotel was the water pressure in the shower but that hotel needs a major overhaul and remodel. It's old, the floors creek everywhere. Zero sound proofing so it's impossible to sleep in. Maybe I expected more for 150/night. I've not stayed downtown much before.
Other trip Sep 28, 2014
jay
"Very friendly staff!"
I had to share my bathroom with some others in the hall, but it wasn't too bad! I enjoyed my stay there. The staff made you very welcome and cozy!
Other trip Sep 15, 2014
"Older hotel with all of the pluses and minuses"
The location is great - close to Stanley Park and several very good restaurants as well as the rest of the downtown area. The staff is very friendly and efficient. The hotel is old. That means great touches like wide wooden hallways, crown moldings and a large reading room that is kept stocked with the local papers. It also means no elevator (but there are only 3 floors), no a/c, and apparently virtually no insulation in the attic. We were on the third floor and while the outside temperatures were only in the high 70's (F) the room was at least 10 degrees warmer and the ceiling was very warm to the touch. Also, oddly for an older hotel, the walls let a lot of sound through from the adjoining rooms (we could distinctly hear conversations and TV dialogs).
3 night trip Sep 6, 2014
Blake L
"Clean and Cozy"
A no frills, unpretentious, and charming hotel with a really nice staff. Very comfortable rooms and lobby area and close to many restaurants and activities. Great home base for walkers. It suited us perfectly.
Other trip Sep 13, 2014