All hotels in Montreal, Quebec, Canada
You can collect Welcome Rewards® nights here452 / 452A Notre-Dame East, Montreal, QC, H2Y1C8, Canada, ‏‎800-491-6126

TripAdvisor reviews for Old Montreal Castle & Suites

"Loved it!"
04/13/15 shawn t New York City, New York
I heard about the castle through friends that had already rented the place and suggested it to me for my honeymoon. I booked two nights at the Castle via Groupon, due to the deal at a reduced price. We were told that the reservation could not be made through phone but only through online booking. I booked the castle for my husbands and I honeymoon (stayed 2 days). The manager, aware of the reason of our stay, provided us with a beautiful surprise which included a champagne bottle and flowers at our arrival. We also took the chef service, John Zoumis, who served us a delicious meal for two. The master bedroom was simply beautiful!! It is equipped with a beautiful fire place (we were told to bring electric candles to make use of it), and a big TV attached to the bed. Our stay was held in the summer, therefore, the terrace was open to us. The terrace even included a BBQ ready to be used, several long chairs, tables and chairs to sit upon and the view was just magnificent! We had a very peaceful and enjoying stay, all questions asked were answered accordingly at our arrival.
"Great experience!"
04/01/15 Daniel R Montreal, Canada
The Old Montreal Castle provided us with a perfect getaway to the beautiful city of Montreal. Me and my family stayed here during March and enjoyed every moment. The castle is perfectly located in Old Montreal with easy access to the metro which is a short 5 minute walk from the hotel. The hotel is equipped with four rooms with comfortable beds. The kitchen is fully equipped with appliances and silverware that made it easy for us to cook our own meals if need be. The place was very clean upon our arrival. Contrary to the negative comments made on the management, they gave us an excellent service when checking in. A young girl took care of us when checking in and explained how everything worked such as the spa and the stereo system. Overall I would definitely book another stay with the Old Montreal Castle and recommend it to anyone looking to spend a fun filled weekend in Montreal.
"Awesome Experience!!"
03/28/15 Jonathan R Vicenza, Italy
The First Time we walked in We were amazed by the sumptuous decor and timeless mood! We spent a week-end and loved every minute ! the staff was very kind and devoted to make our stay an unforgettable one! we would recommend the Chateau du Vieux montreal to anyone who wants to escape their day to day routine!!! Thank you!!!!
"Please avoid!"
03/03/15 MontrealImpact
Where do I begin to describe the awful weekend me and my group spent at this sorry excuse for a castle? First off, if you are having a bachelor or bachelorette party, like the title says, PLEASE AVOID! They make you sign a bogus contract upon arrival stipulating that you cannot have more than 8 people at a time in this 6,000 square foot monstrosity. You think to yourself: "They surely mean no more than 8 people could sleep here; how else could they advertise this as being a perfect location for a bachelor party?" Nope. If they so much as spot one extra person entering the front door on one of their many surveillance cameras, they slap you with an extra $300 (!!!) charge per person. Secondly, don't even THINK of having any sort of entertainment, as for one, the walls are paper thin and you will receive a ton of noise complaints, and two, you will be charged for having extra people on the premises! You can't even have your own chef without their express permission and an extra charge! Thirdly, and needless to say at this point, the owner and his wife are an absolute mess to deal with. Anyone giving this place an acceptable review is someone that is ONLY using it to sleep and shower. But that begs the question: why the heck would you need to rent a 6000 square foot castle to simply get some rest and get out? It's very expensive, there's no room service, there's no maid to make your bed or clean up if you're staying for more than one night, no wifi and it's honestly such a tacky environment that spending more than one day there would drive any sane person crazy. By all means, rent this place if you don't value money and you want your nerves trampled on by knit-picky owners during your whole stay. Consider yourself warned.
"Just Don't Do It"
01/30/15 Paul K Boston, Massachusetts
Last year, I purchased multiple nights here via a GroupOn (http://www.groupon.com/deals/ga-old-montreal-castle-3). It seemed like it'd be a hoot. In a word, it was not. Let me discuss just SOME of what happened there: This castle should be amazing. Regrettably, it is incredibly poorly managed. * The manager was not on time to meet us at the property. Thus, we were left, stuck outside for 20-30 minutes, waiting. That is a terrible start. * When she did arrive, we encountered more issues. We were told we were allowed no guests without paying more money. I've never before encountered a rental property with a restriction on guests, and this was not mentioned in the deal. * As well, the Internet access simply did not work, with no help offered. * Despite it being a delightfully warm October weekend, the upstairs deck was "closed for the season". A shame, a waste, and rather false advertising. * Our neighbors in the second unit let us know that they were jealous, as they thought they had booked the main castle. Well, tough luck, but did they screw up or were they misled? No idea. But it'll become important shortly. * On the first night, the property's hot tub was boiling hot. We called to have it adjusted, because we had no controls of our own. On the third night, it was freezing cold. It was clearly not functioning as it should have. * We received ONE key, for eight guests. ONE key! We requested more, and they said "People keep losing them". I'm sure they do - you know how you handle that? You make more keys. Providing one key to eight guests is flat-out unacceptable. * The parking spot was ridiculous, barely fitting a small sedan. Worse, 1) The folks in the neighboring unit had to squeeze by our car to get out and 2) birds roosted above it, and defecated all over the vehicle. Awesome. * Despite not having any sort of loud parties, our neighbors (remember, the ones bitter over not being in the main unit) appear to have complained of noise. No denying that the eight of us used the facility, including the indoor pool. But hey, they built it and surely should have expected it to be used. The neighbors were apparently demanding a refund - how do we know? Because the property manager showed up, with her boyfriend (for muscle?) at our door on Sunday morning to wave an email in our faces. I can't fathom why, nor what she thought we might do - as I said, we really weren't loud. It's been three months, and I'm sure I'm forgetting things, but the above is more than enough. It was a terrible experience, when it should have been great. The owners would be happy only if they rented the place and then you simply never showed up. Anything else was a problem for them. I can't fathom why they got into the hospitality business. At the end of our weekend, we were more than a little annoyed with all of the above, and more. But we figured that was the end of it, and we'd simply never stay there again. And yet no! The "$1000 refundable security deposit on credit card required at check-in" was not properly refunded. Despite having no issues with us, and assuring us via email that the deposit was headed our way (thankfully, as I wound up needing that proof of their intent to refund), they never properly refunded this deposit. Only by dint of many phone calls did I manage to reverse the charge on my credit card. For over a month, I was out $1000. Further, in looking at the deal today, I see they overcharged me for parking! I was charge $45 a night for parking (for three nights, totaling $135). Groupon's deal lists parking at just $20 a night (so I should have paid just $60). Yet another way this business screwed me! In a word? Awful. Please, please, PLEASE take note of the many bad reviews, which consistently reference the terrible management and policies. Skip this place and save yourself the aggravation!
"Not what you think it is."
01/26/15 Nicole B
We stayed friday and Saturday night in the main castle with the groupon price. I would not recommend this place for the price you do not get what is advertised. Firstly, we called early to make sure our reservation went through because we read about double booking and they could not confirm our name for our weekend with no reason. Secondly a 2500.00 deposit was required because one person was under 25. The rest of us were 30+. Thirdly: upon arrival there was no carpet in the entranceway and all the snow and salt from our shoes made the tile floor wet and unable to walk up or downstairs without our socks all wet. We told management to buy a rug for us. They really didn't care and pretty much handed me a mop to keep it clean. They did deliver a rug the next day. 4: the tv in the basement was missing bc it was broken, se of the stoves didn't work, none of the kitchen fans worked and after cooking bacon the whole castle smelled like bacon the rest of the day. The freezer on main level did not work. The knives were dull. Pots and pans were dented and looked like they were bought from a thrift store. Salt and peppers were dirty and empty. The hot tub was 110 the second day and we could not get in. We called the guy and he put in cold water but it reheated to 110. It was fixed later. 5: the rooftop was locked from us so no sauna bbq outdoor fireplace which in January is when u want to use it. 6:The basement bedroom had no heat the room at night would get to 15 degrees Celsius unless u kept the door open to the humid pool area. The sound system kept cutting out. We didn't mind bc we were girls for a party weekend in old montreal, but the noise next door in the suites was so loud from their sound system at midnight we couldn't hear our own music. The king size bed has no privacy whatsoever Parking was just wide enough to put ur suv in and squeeze out the door for 45.00 a night We were allowed no guests which was unfortunate bc we had friends in the area who were visiting and we could just have them peak in at the front door other wise we would be charged 100.00 a person. Oh and we got only one key for 8 people and that made things difficult to always try and have someone there bc we each wanted different things to see and do. The list goes on This is my first bad review and I don't like leaving on a bad note so... Pros: the location. Right in old montreal, walking distance to everything in that area. The architecture: it's a really neat building that needs some TLC and better management. Don't bother staying here If u are looking for a nice place to stay. It's like a hostel and U just make do with what doesn't work like backpackers would.
"Too expensive for what you get"
11/26/14 mortflaky Anchorage, Alaska
We stayed here with 6 people and it was not what we expected. Here are a few items that should be addressed by the owner. 1. pool not heated, are you kidding me it was so cold we could not even use it. 2. old pots and pans, dented and not in good shape, can a place that charges $1,500 or more a day not afford new pots and pans. 3. knifes were so dull and broken tips, again buy new knife set and make sure they are sharp. 4. hot tub shut off at 10 PM 5. no place to hang any towels. 6. audio speakers did not work downstairs. 7. mold was so bad in the upstairs master bathroom, it gave us headaches. Do not stay here if you can not tolerate the mold in the shower. This place needs some extra work to make it a 5 star stay. I would not recommend this place without telling the people about the problems we had. Overall it was nice, but the pool and hot tub problems, made our stay not as nice as it should have been.
"Family getaway"
09/04/14 KH1175 Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
We booked this trip as a little mini family getaway via groupon and we loved it. The castle looked exactly like the pictures. It was spacious and all 12 of us had plenty of room. The location could not have been better as we were right down the street from Old Montreal. We could also walk by the water, see yachts and cruise ships sail by. We found it very easy to access the subway and it was very easy to get around. All in all we had a great time and it was beautiful.
"what a way to ruin our stay"
09/04/14 LiaHide Athens, Greece
we stayed there for 5 days. long story short, the management was amazingly rude, and the place has many health and safety issues. although it is a remarkably beautiful place, and in the end we managed to keep the best times, in our hearts, they made their best efforts to make us feel unwanted, and unwellcome. it certainly isn't worth it.
"Phenomenal Place..."
09/03/14 bossferme Mississauga, Canada
We recently stayed at the Castle Suite (3000 sq.ft) and this place is truly unbelievable. The pictures do not do this place justice. You have to see it and live it to understand. We had a great time and management was courteous & very helpful from the time we booked, arrived and left on the last day of stay. We were skeptical at first as we had read some reviews that was beginning to get us worried, but it is so far from the truth its unbelievable. We had a great time and felt like kings during our stay. I would highly recommend it to friends, family and business colleagues. Great place, wonderful time and great job!