All hotels in Playa del Carmen, Quintana Roo, Mexico
Calle 38 norteentre Quinta Avenida y la playa, Playa del CarmenQROO77710Mexico, ‏‎800-491-6126

Rather comfortable
    Great amenities
    Room is all right
"Do not stay here"
The person that manages this hotel was a disgrace. 1. When we arrived we could not get in to the hotel. There is no reception. Had to keep calling the hotel for the manager to find the gardener to let us in. 2. We were the only people staying there and at 7:30pm the manager shows up with a pile of beer and some friends. At 8pm he says that people complained that they were trying to sleep and we were too noisy (we were playing music on an iphone...couldn't be that loud). He called the police (12 showed up) and he said we had to leave the property. He seemed upset that we used one of the lanterns onsight for light. No one was there to turn on the property lights or other services and it was dark. 3. Money not returned. I have read other reviews now, and he seems to have overall poor practices. Spent night in car with dog. Not cool.
1 night romance trip Dec 13, 2015
"Expensive glamping"
We arrived late at night, it was extremely hard to locate since there were no signs. When we finally arrived the doorman attended us well but he did not know where the lighting was, and while he showed us around he didnt know where the shower was in the bathroom. We do not blame him, but anyone greeting guests should be familiar with the premises. The room was nice but very damp and it was hard to sleep at night since the ac made the damp room cold. I would also ask for a mosquito net. We enjoyed the concept but it was a high price to pay for a glamping experience.
1 night romance trip Dec 28, 2015
Rosalinda
"Nice location"
Nice place, a little bit abbandoned but nice. A few years ago show be a beautiful spot but need some love.
Other trip Oct 23, 2015
"Great location but may be too rustic for some"
I arrived at 11:30 pm and the hotel was locked. No proprietor in sight. We ultimately got hold of the previous owner who came from his home to let me in. I did not see the proprietor the ENTIRE time that I was there - and I stayed for 5 days!!!! The hotel was basically a ghost town...nice in some ways that it felt like I had the entire place to myself. The room set-up was a bit awkward - as I did not realize that the bathroom was on the first floor and in order to get to it I had to go outside and down the stairs to reach it. A bit sketchy in the middle of the night. I learned the first night to make sure to wear my flip flops, as I had to walk through the dirt and to turn off the light in front of the bathroom as it was a beacon for every bug in Mexico and I was savagely attacked that first night! It was very rustic - the bedroom was comfortable, but there was no place to set down a computer and work (I was traveling on business). The bathroom shower was wide open to the sky (very nice in many ways) but a little unnerving as there were buildings around and it was not totally private. The shower itself was rather cool as the water flowed out of a length of bamboo. Maid service was very good- never saw them, but every afternoon when I returned to my room it was very clean. I wish they pulled the fallen leaves out of the shower however as it started to block up on day 3.
5 night business trip Jun 2, 2015
Britt
"Beautiful but a little uncomfortable..."
The hotel is beautiful but need maintenance.It's rustic kind hotel. You really need to love being into the jungle but next to the beach to like this place. It has no A.C.and mosquitoes will be eating you if you don't use repellent. All employees are very nice. It's also very noise but as most of the hotels at Quinta Avenida.Hotel has a perfect location, beautiful setup but yes they need to put an effort to improve rooms maintenance and of course A.C.at hotel beach is a must. I do like my stayed here but I will be back only if they improve things.
4 night family trip May 9, 2015
carlos
"A little jungle get-away in downtown playa."
what is so special about this hotel is that you feel so close to nature. We stayed in the two bedroom rental, it has three floors and the top floor includes a deck that places you in the tree top canopy. The roof is a thatched roof and there is lots of natural material incorporated into the construction. If you want large feather beds and a big screen TV, this is not your hotel, but if you want something unique that is easy on the spirit, this is your spot. The only draw back is that there was so much construction going on around the hotel that it was hard to enjoy the peaceful grounds during the day.
Other trip Nov 24, 2013

The following English reviews were posted by hotel guests from other countries:

"Sleeping in a mini jungle"
Hotel is located right beside 5th Avenue and very close to the beach. It really is like sleeping in the jungle but just much more comfortable. Staff is very friendly and do a great job cleaning everyday. I enjoyed my stay here and would recommend this place to anyone looking for a different experience than staying in a traditional hotel room.
4 night trip Dec 4, 2015
Shady

The following reviews were posted by hotel guests from other countries:

"Inolvidable lugar!"
Excelente experiencia, un lugar perfecto para ir en pareja a unos pasos de la 5a avenida.
4 night romance trip Nov 26, 2015
Nayeli
"Bien"
En general los servicios fueron buenos, sin embargo la alberca se encontraba bastante sucia y en las noches debido a que se encuentra al lado de un restaurante, la habitación olía demasiado a comida, aconsejaría camas más suaves y un desayuno más completo.
2 night romance trip Nov 23, 2015
MX
Al llegar nos atendio amablemente el guardia y esperabamos al dia siguiente ver al dueño del hitel pero en toda la semana nunca lo vimos. Al entrar al cuarto notamos como el sillon estaba sucio y descuidado, la tela mosquitera tenia en la parte superior palomillas y demas insectos muertos y el cubrecama y los cojines estaban manchados de grasa o algo similar, el interruptor del baño fallaba al punto que podias escuchar el corto circuito que estaba haciendo y para colmo no tiene tv. La ubicacion es excelente pero las instalaciones a mi parecer dejan mucho que desear, le falta un buen mantenimiento a los cuartos.
7 night romance trip Oct 29, 2015
"3 B"
El Hotel es precioso, súper céntrico, con miles de opciones a su alrededor, bares, restaurantes, tiendas, etc. Me la pase genial h es seguro regresare!! Es como dicen bueno bonito y barato!
1 night trip with friends Sep 14, 2015
Alejandro
"Excelente estancia!"
Es un lugar encantador para los que gustamos de la naturaleza y sencillez de las cosas. El personal muy amable, el desayuno continental que se ofrece esta muy completo y si desean algo mas sustanciosos está el restaurante Regina parte del hotel, donde la comida y el servicio son estupendos. Quedé fascinada con la comida del restaurante. El hotel Shalala es tal cual se muestra en las fotos, es una experiencia maravillosa, y por supuesto vuelvo a regresara lo mas pronto posible. Me encantó.
4 night family trip Aug 16, 2015
Ana
MX
"Muy bonito pero sin personal que atenderte"
El hotel tiene mucho encanto pero esta un poco abandonado, no hay recepción, el baño está fuera de la habitación y al estar situado al lado de la 5 Avda tiene mucho ruido por la noche. La persona que nos dio las llaves y la señora que limpiaba eran muy amables. Falta un poco de atención al cliente sobre todo en cuanto a facilitar información como donde está exactamente el hotel, que las llaves las tiene la chica de la tienda de la derecha, horarios del desayuno
1 night romance trip Aug 14, 2015
Araceli
ES
"Muy bien"
Exelente, total teanquilidad, muy amables los encargados
1 night trip Aug 13, 2015
Hwai yuan
"Relax total !!"
Nuestra estancia fue muy placentera y tranquila, muy buena ubicación a una cuadra de la playa, sólo recomendaría poner almohadas más suaves , todo lo demás ok!!!!!
Other trip Aug 1, 2015
Daniel Mchu
MX
"Muy bonito pero sin aire"
Increíble hotel lastima que no tiene aire acondicionado si hace falta
1 night family trip Jul 24, 2015
MX
"Una experiencia totalmente diferente!!!"
Para ir solo, en pareja o en familia, muy bien ubicado y la playa queda muy cerca. Excelente opción para los que disfrutan un entorno natural!!!
Other trip Jul 8, 2015
Lorena
"Sencillez y Naturaleza"
Excelente lugar para escapar d la ciudad. Sencillo y ecoturistico
2 night romance trip Mar 28, 2015
"Lugar muy agradable"
Muy buen lugar, muy amables y sobre todo un ambiente muy natural. Tiene una excelente ubicación a unos pasos de la 5a. Av.
2 night romance trip May 1, 2015
FERNANDO
"Hotel muy agradable"
Hotel muy agradable, pintoresco y cerca de la zona turística, si te gusta la naturaleza tienes que visitarlo
Other trip Apr 22, 2015
Gerardo
MX
"Hotel súper bonito con excelente servicio"
Amé este hotel. La decoración está increíble y el servicio es excelente. Súper recomendable!!!!!
Other trip Apr 8, 2015
Pao
"Отличное расположение"
очень хороший вариант для бюджетной поездки. отель маленький, всего на несколько номеров, но с очень дружественным персоналом, хорошим ресторанчиком и самое главное в отличном месте - в 2-х минутах от самого лучшего места на пляже всей Плайи. рядом магазины, главная пешеходная улица, при этом не шумно. много зелени, не жарко.
6 night trip Feb 20, 2014
Оксана
RU
Extraordinnaire ! Un super accueil, une grande disponibilité, du personnel chaleureux et un cadre dépaysant juste à côté de la 5ème avenue. Calme et bucolisme au rendez-vous. C'est sûr on y retournera dès que possible. Un remerciement tout particulier au propriétaire des lieux qui avec ces histoires, sa disponibilité et son énergie a donné un petit plus à ce séjour.
14 night trip Nov 8, 2013
Lucia
CH
"意想不到的设计感,超赞"
地点在卡门海滩算是比较偏,也没有大招牌,不好找。酒店说是一个欧洲的设计师当年自己设计用来度假用的,木屋里面的细节设计都非常棒,很人性化,床品精心舒适,环境很安静,早上是听着鸟叫声醒来的。游泳池很小很一般。酒店里有两间木屋,一个是loft,适合一家几口住,还有一个小木屋,适合两人住。只能说在海边的酒店中,这个风格是森林中的木屋会很不一样,如果看腻了海边酒店的雷同,可以来尝试这个。
1 night trip Oct 2, 2013
summer
CN
3 night trip Nov 26, 2015
2 night trip Jan 12, 2015

TripAdvisor reviews for Ecolodge Shalala

"Thank you Shalala!!!"
12/23/15 Georgios K
One of the best,cheapest,beautiful hotel in playa carmen.At the edge of fifth avenida,the hotel offers quietness,beauty,relaxation,nice basic breakfast.Agora is right on your doorstep,the expensive restautants,the mass of tourists,and the bars right next to you.
"Awesome place to stay."
12/19/15 Jesse S
Hidden next to everything. Will return again and again. Loved it. It was my own jungle for a weekend during off season. Great tacos 25 steps away. Shopping around the corner, like literally. Beach is two or three blocks away.
"Beautiful spot"
06/10/15 kaylaandsimon Banff National Park, Canada
Let's start with the postives- Very friendly staff. Omar was great and has some really good local recommendations. Cleaning service everyday by a very friendly cleaning lady. Fonda Regina is a great authentic restaurant. A fantastic location. Close enough to the hustle and bustle to walk to restaurants and bars but just removed enough to be quiet and private at night. The whole building is very charming and has a very shabby chic style and feel. Some of the negatives: Only the studio suite has air conditioning, fortunately we were in the studio! Poor water pressure in the shower. The second night we were woken up at 05:30 am by the owners dogs barking non stop. I went out to calm them down they seemed vicious and I didn't want to go near them. They were locked in the office. The check in was a little unorganized and no one seemed to be around when you needed them. There is a pool but it's basically unusable. Overall our experience was great and we would recommend Shalala but would advise that it is a little rough around the edges.
05/20/15 125Annie Tampico, Mexico
Ok so the place is really nice, the room was also really cool! Only thing is, when we arrived there was nobody ther to check us in, so maybe that was a chip on our shoulder, but besides that...everything was cook. Playa is a small town so the hotel is pretty much near to every main attraction and definetly close to mamitas beach and the 5th avenue.
"Jungle Oasis in the middle of Playa del Carmen"
04/28/15 Susy S Washington DC, District of Columbia
Our stay at Shalala – or as we affectionately came to call it: our “jungle Oasis in the middle of Playa del Carmen” – was really wonderful. Omar and Memo were very sweet, incredibly accommodating, and mindful of anything we asked for, and Atala (the lovely cleaning lady) could not be sweeter. The location is great as it’s just between 5th and the beach but it’s just far enough away from the hustle and bustle of the touristy stuff that 38th really feels like a neighborhood. The attached restaurant “Fonda Regina” was really yummy and affordable with delicious fresh lime margaritas and an addictive roasted tomato salsa that you pound out yourself at the table (be warned: if you use both of the chilies that come in the mix it will be HOT). It’s also close to some other amazing restaurants including “La Cueva del Chango” with the best fresh fruit margaritas you will ever try and in flavors you’ve never imagined (ask for Santiago – he’s the best server ever), “El Pirata” (just a couple of blocks away) which offers some huge portions of delicious fresh fish for extremely affordable prices, and "El Gallinero DU CHOCOLAT" a super charming French bakery/café/chocolaterie/sandwich shop which is great for a quick bite or to indulge in some signature chocolates or ice creams. The house itself is just absolutely charming. The whole place feels very shabby chic and you can just see all the attention to detail when it was being built. The listing is very honest in that it's a very outdoor space so there are some mosquitoes but that's the case for all outdoor spaces in playa and that is why they provide mosquito nets to keep you well protected at night as well as several fans in each room. Overall the space just feels very organic and earthy, it almost reminded me on the house in the Blue Lagoon movies, which I happen to be obsessed with. Needless to say: I loved my time at Shalala and would absolutely stay there again the next time that I'm in PDC.
"Absolutely amazing experience"
04/02/15 Tiffany E Dallas, Texas
We stayed in a luxury hotel before and after this. But we stayed here three nights and it was perfect. I don't think we (husband) could have stayed here for 7 nights. But it was really wonderful. Great location, the restaurant attached was great, the owner is awesome. Love it, would definitely come back! Try out something different and keep an open mind, you will have a blast! :)
"One in a million"
12/13/14 NataschaSlagboom Nieuw-Lekkerland, The Netherlands
We stayed for 5 nights in the bungalow. It is a very small place in 'the jungle' of playa del carmen near the beach and clubs. This place is awsome for people who wants privacy but also wants to go out. We get a free welcome- drink when we arrived. Near the street is a small supermarket, restaurants, freshsmoothie bar and a chocolat store. If you walk 5/10 minutes than you are in the busiest part with a lot of stores, restaurants and people. The restaurant at the hotel has the best grilled fish I have eaten in playa del carmen. This hotel is perfect located. Very nice, friendly and helpfull staff!! For the misquitos you can buy spray for your skin at the farmacia/supermarket because you are at a tropical destination. You don't hear the misquitos, only feel. We loved this hotel because it is very unique and you can not find the same hotel over the whole world. It was our little bungalow in paradise.
"An oasis in Playa"
12/01/14 Amanda R Monrovia, Liberia
I spent one night in Playa del Carmen returning to the US from Cuba. Arriving in Cancun, I started second-guessing my decision not to just stay close to the airport. The 5th Avenue strip in Playa is a loud, garish, trying-too-hard, faux-paradise that I wanted nothing to do with, and as I walked up it from the bus depot toward Calle 38 norte, I was apprehensive. But Shalala was just perfect - quiet, off the strip, a bit of a jungle, rustic, lovely Frenchman greeted me, introduced me to his dog, showed me to me room; the internet was free and fast; shower was hot and great pressure; bed was clean and comfy; the restaurant next door is owned by the hotel and had the best home-made salsa I've ever had, and lovely steamed fish. It's just a couple of blocks from the beach, for an easy morning stroll. I would love to come back and stay longer.
"Lil paradise!!"
07/16/14 naybri Akumal, Mexico
This places is a paradise in the paradise. Being in playa u don't think u gonna find another amazing place in there, however, Shalala Hotel is the place. Not many rooms; but the ones they have are really comfortable, clean, natural, well designed nd very romantic, perfect place to spend time w ur love. The pool is small but nice to chill. Manager is very friendly nd always tries to please all requests possible. Totally recommendable!!
"Unique accommodation in playa"
06/07/14 magpieblackwhite UK
We stayed here for 5 nights in June and highly recommend the property. This is a great quiet place for couples who are looking to escape the hectic part of playa but still want to be within walking distance. The place is literally no frills so don't stay if you expect the mod cons of a regular hotel, but we found the stay relaxing and peaceful. The owners were very friendly and kind in helping us with our every need. My only comments to them would be to please add a small fridge in each room just to store some milk and water.