All hotels in Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
621 Trutch StreetVictoriaBCV8V 4C3Canada, ‏‎800-491-6126

"Nearly ruined our trip"
We booked and prepaid online several weeks prior to our visit. When we arrived we had a difficult time locating the owner, and when we did she told us she had double-booked and we had nowhere to stay. She said she would call Hotels.com to have them refund our payment as soon as she could, but we were on our own to find a new place to stay. Since it was 9pm on the Friday night of Easter weekend, everywhere else was booked. The only place that had a room available ended up costing us over $100 a night more that we had originally booked, and paid, for. She never did call Hotels.com to get the refund. I had to call them myself, and they were very friendly and refunded it, but it was definitely a hassle. I would absolutely avoid Trutch Manor.
2 night romance trip Mar 25, 2016
"cute neighborhood"
Cute bed & breakfast with breakfast being the VERY BEST part. The lime yogurt w/ fresh fruit (whatever we desired) was delicious & served in the most beautiful dining room decorated in beautiful antiques & colors!! The room was very clean too!
3 night romance trip Jul 29, 2013
Cheryl & Doug
"Fabulous Place Fun People"
What a surprise to have a kitchen in every room. Plus a gourmet breakfast and pleasing personalities. Comfortable beds and charming rooms
Other trip Jul 9, 2013
Rachel

The following English reviews were posted by hotel guests from other countries:

"Not ready"
Land lady was not there upon arrival room was not ready
Other trip Oct 7, 2013
barb
"Home,Away from ,home?"
A bit of a mix up in our reservations which caused some anxiety!Resolved on arrival at which point we started to enjoy our stay.Our stay was comfortable,breakfast as advertised,good meal with pleasant company.I would be interested in another visit,overall good surpassed the other! Cheers.
2 night romance trip Aug 31, 2013
"good B&B in quiet residential neighbourhood"
A fairly nice B&B located in a residential neighbourhood not far from downtown Victoria. Breakfast was good, although provided at a location across the street from the location of my room. The operation seems to be run by only one person, and therefore the service is a bit spotty ... I had to call the owner when I arrived and wait for her to show up, as did others. She did not seem to be entirely prepared for my arrival. Overall my suite was well appointed, had a small kitchen area and an even smaller bathroom, which I found cramped, but functional. The suite was furnished with a lot of period knick-knacks, which was interesting, but a bit girly for my taste. I found the cleanliness of the suite left a bit to be desired, and some of the furnishings were in poor repair (very uncomfortable antique couch). I felt the property was over-priced for what I received.
3 night trip Aug 30, 2013
"Quiet in an area with small town/village feel"
I have no major complaints. The only thing wrong was when I arrived at Trutch Manor the owner informed me that she rented out the suite I reserved that night. I wasn't happy about having to move rooms but the staff moved my luggage for me and were very helpful. The location was perfect. It is within walking distance of the beach, Inner Harbour and Cook Street Village which has delicious restaurants, funky stores and much more. There is also a bus stop one block up on Cook Street which will take you right down town. But I recommend walking downtown if you can because there are numerous shops and things to see along the way.
Other trip Sep 3, 2013
"Good location; mediocre experience"
This guest house is walking distance to Cook Street Village restaurants, the Museum, China Town, the shopping district, and the Inner Harbor. For those intrigued by the Victoria period, the breakfast room is a delight. It's chock full of period pieces and decorated in dark reds and dark wood. The breakfast was good. One can have their choice of eggs with sausage or bacon, toast and juice. Although it doesn't sound exciting, the other option, lime yogurt with fresh fruit, toast and juice, was delicious and filling. That being said, I found the staff pleasant but disorganized. When we arrived at 3:30 p.m., our room hadn't been cleaned. When we arrived for breakfast at the posted time, the cook wasn't ready for us, and was out of milk. The room was also disappointing in that the bathroom was separated from the the bedroom/sitting room by a curtain only, affording no privacy. And the sink was a stainless steel bar sink with no counter space.
Other trip Aug 28, 2013
Rose
"Old world charm"
Quaint and elegant. Beautiful old manor house close to downtown. Excellent breakfast and friendly staff. We really enjoyed our stay.
Other trip Jul 19, 2013

TripAdvisor reviews for Trutch Manor Tourist Suites

"Nearly ruined our trip"
03/31/16 pnwtraveler_11 Tacoma, Washington
We booked and prepaid online several weeks prior to our visit. When we arrived we had a difficult time locating the owner, and when we did she told us that she had double-booked and we had nowhere to stay. She said she would call Hotels.com to have them refund our payment as soon as she could, but we were on our own to find a new place to stay. Since it was 9pm on the Friday night of Easter weekend, everywhere else was booked. The only place that had a room available ended up costing us over $100 a night more that we had originally booked, and paid, for. She never did contact Hotels.com to get the refund, either. I had to call them myself after not hearing from them or receiving the refund for a week. They were very friendly and refunded it, but it was definitely a hassle. From reading reviews after our visit to Victoria, it is clear that the owner frequently takes bookings and payments for rooms she doesn't have, and makes people scramble and overpay to find last-second lodging elsewhere. I would absolutely avoid Trutch Manor.
"The Trutch is not much!"
09/12/15 Laura B
We recently stayed in Trutch Manor on a busy end of summer weekend in Victoria. After booking online, we contacted the preoccupied hostess by telephone for directions. She advised that she had not received our booking and that she was currently showing the last room to potential guests. Fortunately (or perhaps unfortunately) the guest onsite declined the accommodations and we were the lucky couple. We arrived at the eccentrically decorated property - which definitely gave it character and made it a memorable experience. Our online booking promised a kitchenette with private bathroom. When we arrived we were greeted by an aroma best described as a slow simmering head cheese, we were escorted to a single upstairs bedroom with no kitchen facilities and a shared bathroom. Although charmingly traditionally European with the toilet in it's own room - we were put off that there was no sink for hand washing in the same room as the toilet. The kitchenette suite which was available was priced far higher than the price quoted on the online booking. We had to store some perishable items in the host fridge. The cleanliness of the kitchen was suspect which discouraged participation in the morning breakfast provided. On our first evening we enjoyed exploring the city and returned to the manor at midnight. Our key to the front door did not work and we were forced to knock loudly on the door for about 5 minutes before someone woke up to let us in. Arachnophobes beware - there were big spiders in the shower on both mornings of our stay. A guest who stayed in the basement captured a mutant hobo spider in a jar. Although our hosts Sharon and Teresa were lovely to chat with, and didn't rush us out early on our day of departure, we likely will give the Trutch a pass on our next visit. A little over priced for ammenities that were actually provided. If we wanted to share a bathroom, we would have gone to a hostel for much less money.
"HUGE EXPENSIVE DISAPPOINTMENT"
09/08/15 Mary S
After leaving a message to advise we'd be checking in late and requesting a call (not received) if there's any special arrangement to pick up key, we had to schlep across the street trying to find an address in the dark to locate our host. It seemed we were staying in an entirely different house! After quite a wait we finally get our key (skeleton key no less - did not feel at all at ease as it seemed our neighbour had same key which unlocked our door as well as his). Our "private" bathroom down the hall was anything but - it was a free-for-all. After bringing this to hosts attention we got a whopping $20 credit - even after telling her the reason we chose this more expensive location as opposed to others closer & cheaper to the family we were visiting. I think, however we may have been more fortunate than other guests we met at breakie who didn't even have lights or working outlets in their rooms. DEF WILL NOT BE RETURNING!
"Discombobulated Manor!"
08/20/15 Dan M Edmonton, Canada
My wife and I stayed at Trutch Manor during our 5 day get-a-way in Victoria, BC. We had only stayed at a B&B once before for one night and found it to be exceptional. Unfortunately, this was not the case at Trutch. We arrived at the pleasant looking two-story house and found the door open and the foyer unattended with an accompanying foul smell. OK, I admit I do have an extremely acute sense of smell. A handwritten note was attached informing us to call the manager at such-and-such. Once we made contact, we were informed that we would be staying at a sister house across the street in a room that was very much unlike the one we had booked online. Apparently, this-and-that had transpired with the housekeeper's dog and as a result we had been shuffled into a room that had the washroom/toilet (2separate rooms) across the hall. Disappointed, disillusioned, and discombobulated in a dilapidated room and following some discussion about shuffling about to two other rooms during our 4-night stay, we decided to stay put. Surprisingly enough, the old sister manor began to grow on us. We found the breakfast was really enjoyable and visiting with other guests a great way to start each day. The gentleman who served us was very kind and considerate and we even had a pleasant conversation with our host. The B&B environment is certainly unique and the old place has a lot of character of its own. The owner could go a long way to making this an A-list B&B with some basic changes to organization and management. In the meantime, it certainly was a "memorable" vacation.
"Olde worldly but lovely"
10/13/14 SonjaB60 Kiama, Australia
First impression was negative. We had to go in search of the owner and luckily her sister was downstairs to go and get her from her house across the road. We requested a specific room for our 4 nights but this had already been taken by earlier arrivals - so again not impressed. The lack of door (only a flimsy curtain) to the bathroom didn't bother us too much although I understand it could be disconcerting for others. Breakfasts were good and I loved the dining room decor - albeit quirky. Our host Sherrin was somewhat 'out there'. One morning we requested early breakfast as we had a tour booked and we had to knock and call out to get attention, and by the time breakfast got served we ended up with indigestion from rushing, so not great service that day. All in all not bad, but would I stay again - no, and would I recommend it, probably as long as you know what you are up for.
"Looks can be decieving"
09/03/14 sazer3 Mill Valley, California
I have to say, we were disappointed in this hotel. It is very traditional looking with cool decor, but everything seems a little run down. My biggest complaint is that there was no door on the bathroom, just a curtain, and in such a small area that made me very uncomfortable when using the facilities. When we sat down to relax our second night there, the couch fell over with a broken leg. We also like coffee and tea in the morning, and there was none on the premises, you had to go across the street for your breakfast as it is, (that's where the owner lives). Sure, there was a coffee pot, but if you are only staying a couple of nights it doesn't make sense to have to buy coffee, tea, creamer and sugar. There also weren't any toiletries. We came here after staying at a lovely place in Sidney, and I guess that spoiled us because they had it all, even Sherry at the end of the day in the parlor.
"Another of my Trutch reviews"
02/25/14 edradour36 Friday Harbor
Please see my other two (three?) reviews for Trutch, as this one will address only Sherrin's breakfasts. (This trip was just another five-star totally comfortable stay at Trutch.) I had been content in my past four or more stays at Trutch to have my usual two poached eggs on toast for breakfast. They came beautifully presented and I was content (and still had room for lunch). This last trip, end of February 2014, I mentioned to my travelling companions (daughter and son-in-law) that Sherrin offered waffles and other breakfast choices. My daughter translated this as "oh, boy, maple syrup" (Sherrin said it was the real goods) and my s-i-l heard "sausage" -- so they ordered waffles with sausage. The creation they were served should have been photographed. I never got a review from them on the waffle itself, but my daughter kept raving about the quantity of fresh (repeat: fresh) berries, mango, kiwi -- I don't remember all that she named. All this was topped with whipped cream. The maple syrup was served on the side in a creamer. The sausages were as healthy as sausages can be: Sherrin reads labels and is very health conscious. I list all this to emphasize that Sherrin does not skimp on anything, food or otherwise. You will find no signs warning you to turn off lights or to keep the heat at a low setting. Whatever former visitors complaints have been, they do not include being cheated on food, light or warmth. And please, when you read other reviews, check the date. And read my other review for Trutch for more information.
"Third trip -- but with different companions this time"
10/27/13 edradour36 Friday Harbor
I am extremely comfortable at Trutch manor. The location is perfect (close to Fort Street and the opera, our two main destinations), the suites well-appointed and very comfortable, the neighborhood quiet, breakfast perfect and Sherrin, the owner, very accommodating. I'd stayed at Trutch twice before with friends -- they, too, were happy with Trutch. This time I was coming with my daughter and son-in-law -- and I was nervous. They can be very particular about details. All went well. No complaints and they agreed for me to reserve at Trutch again for the next two opera performances. Phew. For readers who like atmosphere, rooms at Trutch are loaded with period pieces, but there's never the feeling of tackiness, kitsch or nauseating sentimentality that you get at some B&Bs that decorate in the Victorian style. Trutch rooms all have kitchens, well-supplied with plates, glasses, flatware, serving utensils. You may want to bring napkins. Check the cabinets and go shopping at a super market for anything you need that isn't already there -- but check well, as the basics are probably available. As to the review "I don't know where my head was", well, yes that is definitely a possible problem at Trutch -- but I'm still willing to take my chances. Sherrin might not like all my nervous emails, but I definitely double- and triple-check on dates and rooms.
"right place at right time"
07/15/13 Krysia054 Victoria, Canada
We are renovating our home and were looking for an affordable place close by and happened upon Trutch Manor. We had a really nice stay and Sherrin and her staff were very accommodating to us and our dog. Its a quirky place with very eclectically decorated with many interesting pieces of furniture and accessories. Breakfast was lovely, the place was clean and centrally located. I would definitely stay again.
"I don't know where my head was!"
06/19/13 Lindsay S San Francisco, California, United States
That seems to be Sherrin's motto in dealing with Trutch Manor. Two days before our planned arrival, she called me to say, 'I don't know where my head was! I gave away one of your rooms!' and then it was, 'I don't know where my head was! I quoted you the off-season rate, when actually it's on-season!' Honestly, I don't know why I was surprised, given all the other reviews with the exact same message. I know it's costly to run a B&B, but I think the right thing to do in this situation would be to find us another place to stay and offer to pay the difference in price for our inconvenience. However, despite some subtle hints on my end, Sherrin never offered, nor did she even apologize for her mistake. Not once. After a full day of back-and-forth (international!) phone calls with her, she was able to switch some people around and accommodate our full party. Once we arrived, Trutch Manor was actually a nice place to stay. The room was large and clean, although it kind of smelled like cat pee. Sherrin is a nice woman, but she seems a little too frazzled to be running a B&B.