All hotels in Edinburgh, Scotland, United Kingdom
16 Canning Street, Edinburgh, Scotland, EH3 8EG, United Kingdom, ‏‎800-491-6126

"Good location/not luxury"
No advance arrangements were sent to us regarding entry to the apartments. We were pitiful, standing on the street in the rain, as we negotiated the telephone call to the number listed on the door. The hotelier spent much time blaming Hotels.com for not sharing our e-mail address. We didn't care who was at fault. We just needed to get off the street and out of the rain. Finally we got in. The steep stairs led to the hall with the apartment doors. Our door opened to a strip kitchen with 2-person table. Beyond the kitchen was the living room which was more of an alcove. There was a 2-person couch facing a large flat screen TV. Except for a tiny lamp table next to the couch, these were the only pieces of furniture in the room. This would have been easier to accept if the apt had not been billed as "luxury" and if the internet photos had not shown a large living room. From the entry door there was another very steep stairway up to the bedroom and bath. A king size bed was too large for the bedroom so you had to turn sideways to get around the bed and the closet door could open only part way. I managed to get my suitcase into the closet but there was not room for another suitcase in the bedroom. My husband kept his suitcase downstairs in the living room. There was a nice bath. The apartment was clean and bright. The bed and linens were good. The view of Edinburgh roof tops was charming. And the location near the castle and royal mile is great. But the "overselling" of the facility, the unexpectedly tight space, the failure to ensure entry, and a few maintenance issues caused initial disappointment.
2 night trip May 5, 2014

"Modern flat, good facilities and great location"
Stayed here with a friend for a conference, 7 min walk to Haymarket station and 2 min walk to EICC which was great. About 10-15 mins easy walk to Royal Mile/Castle/shops. Modern flat, great amenities and comfortable beds. Good shower. Stairs are quite steep and narrow and there is no lift, so be prepared for lifting your cases up them. My friend and I are relatively fit, not particularly strong, small women and we managed fine! Friendly team, as advertised the key pick up point is an office about 10mins walk away. Key drop off is just at the bottom of the stairs so very easy to check out. I forgot a pair of earrings and after calling them, the team very kindly posted them to me!
2 night trip with friends Nov 2, 2015
Anne
"Short stay"
The apartment was very nice and very central to everything. It was very clean and the kitchen was well stocked. The TV played up a little but to be honest, we were not there to watch TV.
Other trip Apr 6, 2015
Great apartment in a superb location. Spacious for 4 and great facilities in the heart of town. Not quite as polished as a hotel but if that doesn't put you off I would highly recommend.
2 night trip with friends Sep 25, 2014
DanC
"Appartment is in a great location"
Apartment is in a great location but you need to be aware of a few problems we had. 1/ When we arrived at the apartment by taxi there was a note on the door saying we had to go to another location to pick up the key??? Not happy. 2/ The appartment is on several levels. Getting luggage up to the 3rd level on a narrow staircase was not easy.
Other trip Jun 29, 2014
"Nice apartment near Haymarket Station"
Lovely clean and well equipped apartment within minutes walk from Haymarket Station. Had everything we were needing for our weekend in Edinburgh x
Other trip Jun 23, 2014
lynz
"Nice apartment in good location."
Four of us stayed in a three bedroom apartment which had two good sized rooms and one a bit small but as wee had only booked a two roomed apartment this was great. Two well fitted bathrooms with good big showers. Well equipped kitchen. The apartment was in a great location with shops, bars, restaurants and public transport within a short walk. Would definitely stay there again.
Other trip Jun 2, 2014
shiv
"small apartment-not like the photos"
it was ok for what i used it for but it was very small and mis leading as its nothing like the photos
2 night business trip Nov 19, 2013
"Great location, really nice place."
The place is fantastic. Location, comfort of bed, quality of everything is fantastic. And so is the service. I had a slight problem with the heating in the place (it wouldn't adjust and it was very hot) and I contacted the office and they got back to me right away with an easy solution! They also gave me great advice on a few other things. The only comfort mitigation was about the steps up to the room/bathroom. They are quite steep and big, and I was a little worried about my safety. I reckon 90% of people would have NO worries with them though, and it does mean you have a separate living area to the bathroom and living room, so for a couple or more that's perfect! The location is amazing. You can really walk everywhere, up to the Castle or to the museum or across to Princes St. All very easy! Great coffee shops and restaurants nearby too and a few supermarkets within a three or four minute walk.
3 night trip Aug 29, 2013
sandy
"Great location and size for traveling parties of 4"
Apart from an incident with their emergency response team, we were extremely please with the apartment and the services we had.
Other trip Aug 12, 2013
Huie
"Ok, wouldn't go back in a hurry"
The hotel was ok. Very narrow and steep spiral staircase to get to your room. Tv not working in lounge or bedroom during the stay and no reception to contact. Bedroom comfy, downstairs very clinical. Bathroom the best room with a good shower. Noisy road front and back. Walls paper thin, so you can hear your neighbour snoring. Definately not the quality I was expecting from the reviews.
Other trip Mar 10, 2013
MdM

Ce séjour était très agréable. L'appartement impeccable si cen'est le système de chauffage d'une des salles de bains. Pas un vrai hotel et donc pas de service hôtelier
3 night family trip Nov 26, 2015
michele
BE
Tråkig bakgata men ändå bra läge några hundra meter från Prince´s Street Garden. Lite jobbigt var det att hämta upp lägenhetsnyckeln på kontoret, ca 20 min promenad från lägenheten, men nyckeln kunde lämnas i en låda på plats. Vi bodde i en etagevåning, och det var förvånansvärt höga trappsteg -- inget för den som har svårt att gå i trappor. Lite synd att flera belysningspunkter och en tv-kontroller inte fungerade -- det hade de kunnat kolla i förväg.
3 night family trip Jul 4, 2015
Ulf
SE
Good location. Good customer service.
3 night trip with friends Mar 5, 2015
HK
"Mycket bra läge"
Positivt överraskad.
2 night trip Feb 7, 2014
Mau
SE
"Apartment without service"
1. The first time I have to take the room key at another place, not very close to the apartment 2. I did not know or be informed that the key pick up is another place when I make the reservation 3. Nobody clean up the room during my stay 4. Nobody give us new towel or other amenities even the toilet paper.
3 night romance trip Dec 15, 2013
9 night trip Sep 5, 2014
Dimitrova
DE

TripAdvisor reviews for My-Canning Street Apartments

"Not what we expected having read other reviews!"
01/14/16 FruthDevon
As a family of 4 we spent 3 nights in the apartment over Christmas. Having read the other reviews just before we left home I was a bit worried - it's a long way from Devon to Edinburgh & family time over Xmas is important. We were all really pleased. The apartment is on 2 floors so like a maisonette. It had everything we needed; 3 double bedrooms, 2 shower rooms, well equipped open-plan living & kitchen area, underfloor heating, contemporary furnishings, everything clean etc. It's not what you expect when you pull up outside. We ate out at an amazing Italian restaurant just round the corner & walked to the castle & Royal Mile on Xmas day. I wish we had booked to stay for longer. The staff at the reception area (which is at a different location but not a problem) were really helpful & made it clear we could contact them anytime despite it being Xmas time. The only thing we couldn't make work was the remote control for the one of the TVs (3 in all) despite putting in new batteries. Didn't seem worth contacting anyone just for that though - just managed without.
"The only good thing with the apartment is its location!"
10/13/15 Atul2909 Noida, India
Well, I have been in Edinburgh for business for couple of weeks (close to 2 months) and my office in Edinburgh is on Queensferry Road, so I asked my company's travel desk to look for an accommodation which is close to office. So, this is how I landed upon My Apartments, Flat 3, 18 Canning Street. I have been into the apartment for a month now (arrived on 13-Sep-2015) and have got another 3 weeks to stay in this apartment. During my tenure here so far, I have faced a lot of problems and, unfortunately, the they still exist even after repeatedly notifying the management about them. The only thing which restricted me not to get out of this apartment was that the same was booked by my company's travel desk, so going back to them and getting the same changed was no less than a mess, that's why I'm continuing to stay here; otherwise, had the booking been done on my own, I would have moved out max in 2 weeks of my stay. Well, before I proceed with further review, let me describe the apartment a little. So, it's like as soon as you open the main gate of the building (18 Canning Street), you will find stairs right in front of you taking you to 3 flats present in this property. While Flat 1 is at a lower level, the other two (Flat 2 & 3) are little more in height than Flat 1. Upon unlocking the door of Flat 3, you will find kitchen and dining area in front of you along with a set of couch and a television. There are stairs which take you a level above, where you have got your bedroom and bathroom. They provide you cutlery, oven/hob, toaster, dishwasher, washing machine, iron and ironing board and a welcome kit (comprising few tea bags, coffee and sugar pouches, toiletries and 1 pint of semi-skimmed milk). At first look, you will find the apartment to be very nice (much similar to what shown in images on their website), but, overall, I would say the apartment needs a good amount of refurbishment. (So, its the location which makes the rating 3/5, otherwise, it would have been 2/5.) So, this was to summarize, here goes the detailed view: Pros of this apartment: The biggest and only one I could think of is its location. It's very close to City Center. So, many of the attractions points of Edinburgh are near to this apartment. The main train stations (Haymarket and Waverley) and Edinburgh Bus station are not very far to it (Haymarket is just 5 minutes). The local Lothian bus network is in good reach from the apartment. You have also got plenty of restaurants and supermarkets nearby for all your daily needs. For nightlife lovers, all major streets (Rose street, George Street, Lothian Road, West Port, Grassmarket) are not far from here. What else is needed? Cons: There are many (now this goes particularly for Flat 3, 18 Canning Street). To begin with, the key collection point is different from the property itself, so you will have to first head off to their main reception (Broughton Street) to collect the keys and then arrive at property (I was lucky to have arrived at early morning hours, so it was a late check-in, in which case they dropped the keys at the property and provided me the access codes). Had it been at a standard time, I would have to first rush to the key collection point. By the way, their normal check-in time is 3 PM to 5 PM. Second challenge is taking your entire heavy luggage on your own upstairs to your flat; there are no lifts in the property. (One can still consider it because you will have to do that once when you enter the property and secondly bring your luggage downs when you vacate out. Third, there's no reception at the property itself, so, there's no one whom you can report your problems. The only way is calling at their reception during their work hours (which are actually work hours for you too, so they expect travelers to leave their job and keep ringing them) and they have got a non-work hours number as well, which a maintenance man picks, who doesn't have any knowledge of your booking and previously reported problems, so every time you call him, you will first have to set the context and then take in further. Forth, many amenities/equipment provided in the apartment doesn't work. The day I landed here, the first problem I reported was that the shower isn't working. The water was too hot for me to take shower and there was no way I could mix cold water. And, mind you, it takes weeks to get the issues fixed here, and not days. So, it got fixed in a weeks time. Another issue I found was that the thermostat/temperature controller on kitchen floor wasn't working. And it has been a month now that I am into the apartment, it's yet not fixed. Then, after a week of stay I found that the ceiling at the ground floor (kitchen area) leaks just below the shower; which makes the entire of couch area wet. The reason is leaks at times is still not known. Having reported this issue, it took 2 weeks time to get the same fixed (according to them), but my dear reader, it still leaks at times. All depends on shower's mood perhaps. And the irony is that while they got it so-called fixed, they gave me another apartment (Flat 4, 16 Canning Street), so I had to rush their to take the shower and come back. Or, the other option was to move permanently there with all your luggage, which I didn't chose. Also, bedroom's television remote doesn't work. I reported this on first day, perhaps they have forgotten this in front of other outstanding issues. Since I'm not much fond of TV, so didn't cause much of problem for me, but for others it definitely could. The list doesn't end here. Fifth, the so called "free-wifi" doesn't give you enough internet speed to make video calls at home. I have reported this issue as well, but again, unresolved till date. Also, the couches have got their skin peeled off from various places; so there are many things that needs refurbishment. I asked the management to get the toiletries refilled every week, since mine was a long stay, to which they agreed, but never got them refilled though. The worst part is that they don't give you a call back after you report any issue, so, its you who follows-up and not them, which is seriously pathetic. They say that they will give you a catch-up call, but they never. So, traveler ultimately ends up in following up. In a month's time, I have faced no many issues that I never though any accommodation can offer. I regret having arrived to this place (except for its location). If I would have had an option of vacating out, I certainly would have by now, and taken any other in the same location. I think that pretty much summarizes my stay here so fay, just hope that no further issues turn around and the existing ones get fixed. Fingers crossed!
"Not my first choice"
10/07/15 KayleighMac Inverurie, United Kingdom
These are conveniently located across from the firm office in Edinburgh so are super handy. I prefer the knight residence in short though. These are a bit rough round the edges. You can tell they have been done up on the cheap. For instance a white tile was missing from the bathroom skirting board and some bright spark simply stuck a white bit of card in its place...... I couldn't help make comparisons to the knight residence which I much prefer. Price isn't that different and here you don't get a concierge service, welcome pack or breakfast provided. Handy for work but I wouldn't chose to stay here for pleasure.
"Brilliantly located, very comfortable place to stay with very helpful staff."
06/21/15 Tom N Galashiels, United Kingdom
I booked three apartments for a group of friends travelling from around the country for my wife's 30th birthday. From the off the staff could not have been more helpful. The admin was all fantastic and a lovely email a couple of days to go with details on transport,mp laces to go etc. the location is awesome; two minutes walk from a tram and bus stop, five minutes to George street and Princes street, this is in the heart of the west end and a perfect base for visiting Edinburgh. The apartments were nice and clean, a bit tired in some places if you looked hard but the simple things perfect; pint of milk in the fridge, coffee, tea, washing up liquid, dishwasher tablets and free wifi. Don't get that in a very expensive hotel box room!
"Ideal Location - needs a revamp"
05/27/15 LauraW9876 Preston, United Kingdom
We stayed at this apartment from Friday to Sunday and I will not lie, at first we were a little taken aback that the apartment looked so much different to the photos on the website. The apartment was tired and in need a spruce up (cracks in the wall & on the windowsill throughout the apartment) the apartment was clean though, which is the main thing for me! The major downside of the apartment is that the 'double' bed was two single beds pushed together which were constantly splitting apart throughout the night which was extremley annoying. The bathroom was a good size and very modern with a large shower which was good. The apartment was also very hot and we were not able to turn the heating down even after following the instructions left in the apartment! The location of the apartment was brilliant and only a 10 minute walk in to the centre! I would definitely stay here again and would highly recommend this apartment, I would just love it more if the owners were to re-vamp and refresh the tired decoration and the beds!!
"Home away from home"
04/11/15 sirchan London
I stayed for 7 weeks here due to an extended work trip. The flat is exactly how it looks in the photos, modern and homely. The apartment I was in was huge compared to my colleagues. The best thing was the location. It's about 3 mins walk to West End Princes Street tram stop. 5 mins walk to the start of Princes St. For me personally I didn't like the duplex as I am lazy to climb the stairs but it does make the place feel like a home. The only other problem is that you have to climb some stairs to get to the apartment. I imagine it's quite common in Scotland as many are older historical buildings but not easy when you have 2 heavy suitcases. Then again you should only have to do that once on arrival and departure. It had underfloor throughout so it was very warm and cozy all through Jan - Mar. It had everything except for washing powder. Everything else including salt and pepper were provided! As serviced apartments go this is not bad for the price.
"nice apartment , good location"
03/26/15 J_August_West Albany, New York
The apartment was nice, clean and well maintained. Had a problem with the clothes washer but staff took care of right away. Lots of street noise in the ground floor bedrooms. Best showers in Scotland!
"Great apartment"
12/30/14 McDougall97 Scotland, United Kingdom
Was slightly worried about quality after reading some reviews but really had nothing to worry about! We weren't quite sure of Edinburgh + was taking our child so phoned office on morning of stay + asked if I could get code for safe to make key collection easier. The guy in office Damien was great and understanding of our position + asked for id to be emailed first + then he emailed me code for safe to collect key in hall of apartments. This was a lot easier than going to second address. When inside apartment we were pleasantly surprised. Very clean with milk left + sugar, tea bags + coffee - nice touch - living area was open plan in 1 bedroom apartment 18/3 - living room + kitchen downstairs + bedroom + bathroom upstairs. Everything needed even ironing board + iron + extra heater in cupboard in living room area - sound system great where you plug in I pod or phone + u can hear upstairs + also in bathroom! Loads of pots pans etc for home cooking + usual plates cutlery etc - even a washing machine + dishwasher - would be great if you there for a week or more. Downstairs looked onto houses that seemed empty + other window onto office block also very quite - moving upstairs - very modern wooden stairs - looked lovely + no problem for an 8 year old - bedroom was lovely - modern with old Windows, flat screen Tele on wall + storage built into wall under window - also cupboard for hanging + storing more clothes with nice wooden hangers - no cheap metal ones!! Bed was clean on arrival + relevant inspection was made!!! No hairs I'm pleased to say - hairdryer in cupboard in bedroom - moving onto bathroom - very modern square sink as per pictures + power shower with some shower gel + shampoo provided - lovely velux window on sloping wall - two toilet rolls provided + we were only 2 nights - 2 adults + 1 child - bedroom a bit hot though we opened window on second night + honestly never bothered to read manual as only there two nights. Manual provided on apartment was useful however could have provided more info on surrounding shops + General direction to walk for main drag! Was close enough to princes street though as we had an 8 year old + out at night got taxis though walked on Sunday morning + went past usher hall way only to check our phone + realise the Castle was round the corner!!! Taxi only cost 5-6 pound from princes street + 6-8 pound from opposite end ie Playhouse Theatre - was great at princes street with Xmas market + rides for kids + food stalls etc + we went ice skating in princes street gardens which cost 20.00 for 1 adult + 1 child - this was jam packed with loads of people falling over as ice was extra slidy due to adverse weather conditions!
"Couldn't have been better!"
12/22/14 Gemz2000 Nottingham
I stayed with a group of friends in 12/1 Canning Street and the apartment was amazing. It exceeded our expectations. Fantastic location. The apartment had underfloor heating which was great after you arrived back out of the cold but if you were stood getting ready to go out it was a little too hot. It wasn't clear how to turn this off - although I imagine if we'd have read through the welcome pack that information was in there. My only comment would be that there were too many switches in the apartment that we didn't know what they controlled. Obviously the light switches were obvious! Some friend's stayed in another apartment which was also really nice. Next time we visit Edinburgh we wouldn't give it a second thought staying here again. Highly recommend!
"Well located and like a home from home"
12/01/14 Bowera
My friend booked this for a weekend away. Had everything you need wifi, clean, was great. Only thing it lacked was a hair dryer it really did have everything else! Tea coffee and fresh milk on arrival! Would stay here again