All hotels in Edinburgh, Scotland, United Kingdom
18-21 Market Street, Edinburgh, Scotland, EH1 1BL, United Kingdom, ‏‎800-491-6126

4.8
"Great location!"
Motel One is in a great location for visiting Edinburgh. Close to the train/bus stop and all of the local attractions. The hotel room was small, but very clean and had everything that I needed. Would definitely recommend!
1 night trip with friends Mar 22, 2014
"Ultra modern hotel in old town"
Super staff. Brand spanking new hotel. Two minutes to the train. Excellent bar and Gurkha restaurant across the street.
Other trip Mar 23, 2014
badpanu
"Overall ok"
Staff was professional & friendly. Very clean, modern hotel. Can't beat location if you are traveling in or out of Waverly Station. The downside, bed was only slightly softer than laying on a board of wood, & "Egyptian Cotton" sheets we're more like wool than cotton.
1 night trip Feb 14, 2014
Trey
"Great Balance- Low Cost and High Quality"
After spending most of my Edinburgh trip in a hostel, spending a night here was absolutely heaven! Hot, great showers, great floor plan with plenty of room. Oh and the room was nice and toasty...in the best way!
Other trip Jan 10, 2014
Kirsten
"Good location, smelled like mildew"
The hotel was in a great location and had nice decor. However, the bathroom smelled like mildew.
Other trip Jan 8, 2014
"Fantastic Location; Clean, Modern, Spatious"
The only downside is the poor wifi connectivity. Everything else was outstanding - friendly customer service, clean and large rooms. I highly recommend!
2 night romance trip Dec 29, 2013
"Location, location, location"
Ideal location walking distance to all the main sites. Rooms are recently re-done -- simple but new and clean. Competitive rates. We'd stay here again.
4 night trip Dec 27, 2013
"Great value and very central"
We loved the location and room, very large. Although we were put in a room with a disabled bathroom and the sink was tiny!
2 night trip Dec 29, 2013
A very nice, clean, tidy hotel located 30 seconds from the main bus route to and from the airport. Rooms, whilst small, had high ceilings so felt spacious. The rooms and hotel overall was pleasant to be in, good staff and good service. Breakfast was quite nice for the price, though a wider range of fruit options would be nice. Would genuinely recommend this to anyone travelling to Edinburgh for a nice weekend break.
Other trip Dec 2, 2013
"Perfect location and price"
First time staying at Motel One. I will book again. Clean and streamlined while still being cozy.
Other trip Nov 16, 2013
"Nice hotel good location"
Good location next to the station, between old and new town. Room is clean, comfortable, spacious, moderate.
Other trip Nov 13, 2013
JJ
"Practical location for short stay"
The room was modern and nicely designed but spartan. Only 2 plastic cups. Only one small desk. No hand soap bar and only body/hair wash for the shower. Relative shortage of seating in spite of abundance of floor space. Flat screen TV not working and not mended in spite of 2 complaints on separate days.
Other trip Nov 12, 2013
Weekend in Edinburgh, 60+ year old woman, visiting on my own, taking a couple days off during a business trip. Motel One is perfectly located, clean, modern, safe!! And well-priced. Comfortable bed, pillow, modern bathroom. I liked it.
Other trip Nov 9, 2013
Julia
"Great Location!"
Convenient to train station, Princess Gardens, Edinburgh Castle, Royal Mile. Comfortable room and courteous check in/out. Would definitely stay there again.
1 night trip Oct 16, 2013
Cathy
"Looks great, but disappointing."
We had returned to Edinburgh from Dufftown for a couple of days before our flight home. We booked this hotel on-line before leaving on our trip, and it looked fabulous for the price. Turns out there are no phones in the rooms and the queen beds are nothing more than two twins put onto a queen foundation and enclosed on each side by a built in headboard. We could live with that, but the beds actually felt like they were slanted downhill at the headboard, so we ended up sleeping with our heads at the foot of the bed. Not everyone that visits Edinburgh is freezing, but the only bedding provided were down comforters, which were way too hot. We had the window wide open all the time, but this proved a problem, as we had been given a "quiet" room away from traffic noise, only to discover that there was a "close" (which is a staircase leading from one street level to another) right below us and as children were on a school holiday while we were there, we had to endure drunken 18 year olds screaming, talking and laughing at the top of their voices most of the night. Since the close is there, it has to be lit, so there were bright lights throughout the night, which made sleep pretty difficult, since we had to have the window open for cool air and closing the drapes over the window blocked the airflow. The hotel did not have a portable fan, so there was no alternative. The hotel looks good and the manager was as responsive as he could be, given the limitations, but we can't recommend.
Other trip Oct 28, 2013
Patti
"Location was amazing."
Clean, pleasant, and perfect for the low key traveler who wants a nice place to stay.
Other trip Oct 26, 2013
I loved the location - one block off the Royal Mile and a short walking distance to trains and buses. I thought the room and bed were comfortable... a little hot at night but that was solved by opening the window and turning the heating system off. The room and bathroom were very clean. There were no phones in the room (which means no wake up calls) so bring an alarm. The internet signal was poor in my room... the front desk was able to look up information for me as an alternative. I was not allowed to check in early, however they had free luggage storage which I used for two days between hotel stays when I could not take one of my suit cases with me for a tour. Overall, I would definitely stay here again.
1 night trip Oct 10, 2013
Brooke
"Extremely convenient and cost-effective!"
This hotel did not even show up on our radar when we began searching for hotels in Edinburgh. We were traveling with luggage and didn't want to have to lug stuff everywhere. We're so glad we found it. This hotel is so close to Waverley station and a short walk (albeit very uphill for those with mobility issues, occasionally up some stairs/closes) to the Royal Mile. At a very affordable price, this hotel was bare bones but comfortable. Small bathroom with not a ton of space to spread out or 2 people to get ready. Few toiletries. No closets to hang clothes up. Small table space. We were just 2, but I don't know about size of rooms for larger family or if you bring a lot of luggage. If you are looking for a luxurious splurge, this is not it. But if you are looking for a safe, convenient, clean place to hang your hat while out and about visiting Edinburgh, try this place. We would return here again if we were back in the city.
Other trip Oct 15, 2013
Very convenient location in the new town but across the street from waverly bridge street bus station for airlink. Then a quick 5 min walk to old town. The rooms are run down and the construction noises are distracting. Service was average.
1 night trip Oct 8, 2013
"Awesome location walking distance to Royal Mile"
Modern, clean hotel. A bit unusual layout to get to rooms. Easy walk to shops, Edinburgh Castle, Royal Mile, food, etc. GREAT LOCATION!!!
2 night trip Sep 18, 2013
"Great hotel. Great price."
Walking distance to the Castle and to New Town. Clean minimalist rooms. Nice bathrooms.
2 night trip Sep 19, 2013
"Nice hotel close to the Balmoral"
Within walking distance of major attractions. Excellent place to stay.
Other trip Sep 25, 2013
"A Good Night--"
I stayed just one night at Motel One, but the staff, particularly Nicole at the front desk, were very supportive with a contact problem I had. The floor plan of hallways is complex, but signs make it navigable. The room itself was quiet and well appointed. The location is excellent, just two blocks down from the Royal Mile, and two blocks from the Waverly Train Station, where you can park all day (most of the streets are 3 hours). Don't be fooled by the name "Motel." This is not a roadside stopover--it is a charming full service hotel.
Other trip Sep 21, 2013
Kerry
"Minimalist design budget priced"
The hotel is clean and new with modern, minimalist design. The front desk staff was helpful and friendly. The free wifi service was reliable and easy to use. It's a hotel that offers basic comforts at a reasonable price, ideal for travelers on a budget who want to be in the center of the old town of Edinburgh.
2 night business trip Sep 15, 2013
"Great base for business or sightseeing"
The location was a short walk from the train station. Great location, nice, modern, sparse-but-comfortable rooms. Good breakfast in the morning to get you started. A perfect hotel at a great price.
1 night business trip Sep 12, 2013
"An Affordable Gem"
Motel One was a special find onHotel.com. We needed a convenient spot near Waverly Station following a train tour of Scotland. Motel One is a gem. Recently refurbished and staffed with warmth and service-focused staff. Breakfast is continental style, but the food is fresh and of good value. The location is especially convenient for both old town and new town walk abouts.
1 night trip Aug 31, 2013
"Mediocre Hotel in Great Spot"
The hotel itself is mediocre at best - the layout is haphazard, the rooms are sometimes oddly shaped, the shower temperature fluctuates between hot and cold and doesn't have much pressure, the beds are rock-hard, and one day the banging from the kitchen woke us up at 6 am and didn't stop by the time we left at 11am. There's no way to contact the front desk from the room and the internet barely works. There is no A/C, which honestly usually isn't an issue in Scotland, but then again it makes me wonder how well their heat system works because there is no way to change the temperature in the room, just increase the fan speed. The bar in the lobby is ridiculously overpriced. And there is no parking - the closest garage is past the train station. But the personnel were nice, the place was clean, and the location is absolutely fantastic. It's next to the train station (but we never heard sounds from the station or anything), only one street away from the Royal Mile, and is within walking distance of absolutely everything. There are several key attractions within a half-mile of this hotel.
1 night romance trip Aug 25, 2013
Megan
Convenient to everything though a little noisy at night.
Other trip Jul 15, 2013
Great location for Royal Mile. Staff was very helpful, recommended great restaurant prior to theater reservations
1 night business trip Jun 11, 2013
"Great location at a fair price!"
We enjoyed our stay at the Motel One Edinburgh-Royal. The location is great - very central and right in the middle of the Royal Mile. The room itself was comfortable and decently-sized for a city. Parking can be a bit of a hassle if you have a car with you but there is a parking deck not too far away.
2 night trip May 26, 2013
"convenient for train station and national gallery"
The hotel was comfortable, though less frills that I would have thought. The wireless worked part of the time, but in the evening, when most of the hotel was apparently using it, it was so slow as to be functionally useless. People were helpful, the room was clean, and the location was ideal for me.
1 night trip May 30, 2013
I was unhappy only with the lack of telephone in the room or any other way to contact the front desk. Otherwise it was lovely.
1 night trip May 21, 2013
C.A.
"Good location, small room"
The staff were friendly and helpful. I actually had forgotten to print a voucher out that I needed for the hop-off-hop-on bus and the concierge let me come behind the desk and use their computers and printers. It was very nice. The room was clean, but small. We did smell smoke through the window...no idea where it was coming from because the window appeared to open up to just a brick wall. The location was perfect. The bar was nice.
Other trip May 23, 2013
My experience was nearly a perfect stay. The only draw back was a few quirky things with the actual room: no nightstand, odd light switches(you never quite knew which switch turned on/off which lights) , two twin blankets for queen bed rather than one large blanket and there were no bars of soap to wash hands with only body wash gel. Other than these few quirks I highly recommend staying here.
4 night trip May 12, 2013
Bjorn

"Happy to recommend this Hotel"
Excellent location. Staff very helpful and personable. Very casual ambience.
2 night romance trip Jul 11, 2015
Ross
"Central location"
We had an appointment in the city early on the Saturday so decided to make a weekend of it. This hotel was a great find it was ideally situated for everywhere we wanted to be.
2 night romance trip Jul 10, 2015
"Lovely modern hotel -very close to the station"
We'd highly recommend this hotel. It's very close to the station and the main sights in Edinburgh. We had a 'room with a view' -view was worth the extra price. We didn't have breakfast, as it seemed a bit overpriced.
2 night romance trip Jul 7, 2015
"Disappointing for the price."
Hotel is in a great location and the staff are lovely and really helpful. My boyfriend and I stayed for 2 nights in June and were really confused to find that when we (eventually) got to our room there were two seperate single duvets... When my boyfriend went down to reception to ask he was told the hotel only do single duvets.... Which we found extremely odd. We also had an issue finding our hotel room. The girl who check us in told us to go to floor 3 as our room was 332. On arrival to the 3rd floor we soon realised the room numbers stopped at 328... We asked a member of staff and she took us to our room. On the 5th floor and across the next building... so to get to our room we had to go to floor 5 from reception, walk a while through several coridoors, through a walkway to the next building, walk along another corridor to the lift and then go down to floor 3. A total nightmare every time my other half went out for a cigarette. It became very quickly boring having to walk so far to get to our room. The room was very small and basic and definitely not worth the £100 a night price tag.
2 night romance trip Jun 29, 2015
Louise
"False Advertising"
Really disapointed with this hotel - I specifically requested a room with a view & a queen size bed which I paid extra for. The view was of scaffolding cover in blue plastic on the bujiling across the road and 2 bed pushed together to create a double bed. I looked for a different room and of cours there was none available. Also parking is 4 blocks away and expensive. Falsely advertised and i wont be going back.
2 night romance trip Jun 30, 2015
"well worth a visit"
apart from a twenty minute wait for one of our rooms, they were extremely busy though, I can not fault this place, great friendly staff, spotlessly clean, comfy beds in a superb location 2 minute walk from train station/princes street/royal mile. the hotel is a bit of a maze spread over 2 buildings which may be a problem for some people, I will definitely use this establishment again. we didn't eat here only because of the fantastic choice of restaurants and bars in Edinburgh. thanks for a great stay guys.
2 night family trip Jun 26, 2015
CHARLES
"Modern, clean - great location"
Excellent location, rooms are minimal but comfortable. Bathrooms are great, very modern and clean. Location is great - next to train station, and close to many attractions.
2 night trip with friends Jun 20, 2015
"Decent"
Great location. Rooms look nice, are very clean but just lack a few details. The plugs are half way up the wall(???), no phone in room, no soap next to sink, no bin in room. Staff were great though and you couldn't be in a better location. Overall 3 out of 5.
2 night romance trip May 29, 2015
Most enjoyable with very helpful staff
1 night business trip Jun 16, 2015
warren
room is small, doesn't worth the price. My mom even wanted to change a hotel, so I wouldn't recommend it.
2 night family trip Jun 20, 2015
Yang
"Another enjoayble stay"
I've stayed here several times on business and also had an enjoyable stay. Rooms are small, but for business travellers or tourists who are spending most of their time out and about this isn't a problem. Staff are always very friendly, helpful and polite.
1 night business trip Jun 10, 2015
Kevyn
"Incredibly nice for the price!"
Great little room for the price! Lovely shower, hot water kettle with tea and coffee that were refreshed daily, lovely scented bath products, comfortable bed, spacious room. Breakfast was reasonably priced and delicious; I didn't book it with the room but willingly paid for it twice out of pocket. The staff could not have been nicer. Only complaints: 1. there was street construction going on at the time -- completely outside the control of the hotel -- that was a little noisy during the day (but the staff apologized over and over and explained they'd tried to talk to the city about it; nothing they could do) 2. I was in a double room, which I expected to be a double bed, not two singles pushed together with separate sheeting/duvets. Not a big deal, though. Would happily stay there again.
4 night trip Jun 6, 2015
Diana
"not so good, at the end."
first of all, I booked a double room and they gave me a single room. not a good start. then, it is just a standard hotel in the Edinburgh city centre. so, low value for money. bad bar services (low quality of food and also small choice of product). the staff is not so friendly. very good wi-fi. room very clean.
2 night trip Jun 5, 2015
Marco
"Clean and safe and well located but...."
There have been several comments posted that reflect the nature of this hotel. It is an international chain, thoroughly modern on the interior, but covers a great deal of real estate behind the scenes. My room was quite far from reception, and it was a maze of connected structures to get to the right building. The room itself was pleasant enough in a generic, inexpensive way - but the neighborhood was just a very short walk up the street to the Royal Mile and all the shops/eateries & sights. It is less than 1/2 block in either direction to the train station, which made it very easy to get in out of the city. It was clean and safe, but not endearing. I would stay again, but only for a night - just not enough comfort for relaxing.
1 night trip Jun 5, 2015
"Lovely hotel"
Excellent hotel. Right by the station. Quiet with a great view. Really comfortable bed.
1 night business trip May 26, 2015
"Best trip I have."
It was amazing. Staff was very friendly.And one of the best thing is location of hotel is perfect. You can visit every thing by walk.
4 night romance trip May 18, 2015