All hotels in Richmond (North Yorkshire), England, United Kingdom
Gatherley Road, Brompton on Swale, Richmond, England, DL10 7HZ, United Kingdom, ‏‎800-491-6126

farmers arms was a family bar,the staff were warm and friendly and could not do enough to make our stay enjoyable. The accomodation was clean and comfortable, and you could come and go as you pleased. A short and enjoyable stay, with wonderful food, at very reasonable prices.
Other trip Aug 9, 2014

"Value for money stay"
Family stay as going to a wedding
1 night family trip Aug 8, 2015
Martyn
"weekend break"
Staff was very helpful and polite room was very clean our meals were well prepared a pleasent night slee
1 night romance trip Jul 31, 2015
MICHAEL
"Great place"
Avert nice place, would definitely recommend it
1 night business trip Jul 10, 2015
"Helpful staff, problems dealt with satisfactorily"
It has had some poor reviews which I saw after I booked, so was concerned. However we had a nice stay - there was some problems with the plumbing which due to bank holiday could not be fixed, we where offered a couple of acceptable options, and opted with staying with the larger family room and using the bathroom in the smaller alternative room - as our son is a teenager so the space was important. The part refund was very welcome and felt generous compensation as we had booked it as a last minute deal. Nice breakfast, helpful and friendly staff, nice room and convenient location. We didn't eat our evening meal there preferring to explore Richmond We saw the staff being very helpful to other guests who has arrived at 10pm after they had stopped serving evening meals, helping them order a take away and setting a table for them.
Other trip May 29, 2015
Cathy
"Lovely hotel"
Me and husband was made welcome all through our stay . We would stay again
2 night family trip Apr 3, 2015
"Farmers Arms pub bed and breakfast"
Very pleasant pub/bed and breakfast.Stayed in room 4 large double room with small annexe attached containing 2 single beds.Larger room above bar and facing main road junction could be noisy at times so opted for annexe room at the back,much cosier and quieter. Facilities provided very good. Including plasma TV, hairdryer and good en suite bathroom. Food in dining room excellent,well cooked and served quickly portions on large side for us, but plenty of choice and variety,as well as being reasonably priced. Would definitely stay again if travelling in that area.
Other trip May 5, 2015
colin sheila
"lovely"
Me my partner and 2 children had a lovely stay.. Room nice clean.. Staff helpful friendly. Food was excellent. Plenty parking. Would recommend...
1 night family trip Mar 6, 2015
james
"Lovely hotel with a quaint village pub atmosphere"
I found this hotel through Google and was immediately impressed by the photographs. The whole booking process was straight forward. Arrived at the hotel late in the evening but received a warm welcome. The menu was full of delicious options - it was very difficult to choose! Will definitely stay here again and will recommend to anyone looking for accommodation in the area.
Other trip Mar 4, 2015
Wayne
"Nice hotel close to army training centre"
Stayed for one night in family room.lovely double room with adjoining smaller room with 2single beds.nice spacious accomodation but noise from the bar underneath was a little loud .to be expected though as it is a popular restaurant and bar.the breakfast was nice and evening meal was also good.
Other trip Feb 24, 2015
family of 3
"Nice food shame about the shower!"
Meals and breakfast were really good. Room was ok but bathroom was dirty.
1 night romance trip Feb 9, 2015
"Fantastic service"
A lovely place to stay the staff were really nice and helpful, the family room was nice and big generally a really nice place to stay defiantly recommend it to a friend or family passing by. I would defiantly come back and stay
2 night family trip Aug 1, 2014
Warren macdonald
"Comfy beds"
The Saniflow plumbing is very inefficient and left a continuous smell in the en- suite
1 night trip Jul 18, 2014
HJC
"lovely hotel"
Room ready on arrival, staff very pleasant, plenty of hot water, didn't eat in the restaurant so cannot comment, but prices looked reasonable.
Other trip May 26, 2014
harry
"Good hotel clean and tidy."
We found the shower complicated and annoying, at times the water ran cold and you had to flush the toilet to reset the system,. Our room was noisy but comfortable especially the bed. The staff however were outstanding and the breakfasts were very good.
Other trip May 19, 2014
"Good bar, OK rooms, OK breakfast"
Good bar with reasonable choice of beers, breakfast was OK, rooms OK, did what it said on the packet.
Other trip Apr 5, 2014
"Bad experience"
I was very disappointed with the Farmers Arms and wrote a review on their website. Up till now it hasn't appeared. I am of the opinion that Hotels.com should not list/recommend this establishment. My booking was for three nights. Two was more than enough for me. the following is what I wrote as a review:- "I booked and paid for 3 nights B&B for 17th, 18th & 19th March 2014. I booked it through Hotels.com. I arrived at 3-30 in the afternoon of the 17th only to find the place was closed and was unable to gain access. I had to wait until 6.00 PM. evening opening hours before I was able to gain access. I arranged for breakfast for 7-30 the following morning but again could not gain access as there was no staff present. I was eventually let in by the cleaner and she had to phone the chef who arrived about 10 minutes later. The actual room was reasonable but the bathroom was at best disgusting. Mildew and mould in the shower cubicle and at the back of the actual toilet was filthy. I decided against staying the 3rd night. Not an experience I cared to endure. I would certainly not recommend it."
3 night business trip Mar 17, 2014
"Ideal for visiting Yorkshire"
Had a lovely time. At pass out at Catterick Barracks. Very convenient location.
2 night trip Sep 27, 2013
"Nice pub with good food."
The pub itself was really nice. The room was ok but the floorboards were really noisy and the window was only single glazed so you can hear the road but this is an old building! The ensuite was disappointing. The shower had black mould in it and it smelt when in use. The ensuite is also very small. Our evening meal and breakfast were really nice.
Other trip Aug 16, 2013
"comfy beds and lovely food"
we were on a trip to richmond live festival .hotel was on perfect place just of the a1
1 night trip Aug 3, 2013
a rountree
"Good food and a good base to drive from."
Stayed two nights B&B with a view to exploring Richmond and Barnard Castle. The room had lots of storage, was clean and comfortable. The Farmer's Arms is on a busy road but we slept well. The area around the Inn is factory units and there doesn't look much to walk to. It proved a good base to drive from though. We checked in at lunch time and the restaurant was busy so we decided to have our evening meal there. The food was excellent, so were the full English breakfasts we enjoyed. Cooked and served by people clearly aiming to please. The staff were always cheerful, willing to engage in conversation and very helpful. This added to the enjoyment of our stay.
Other trip Jul 25, 2013
"spacious room for family"
room was nicely decorated, spacious and our daughter had an adjoining room which was large with twin beds. However, there was no blind to one side of the bedroom(2 velux windows) The other had a blind but it needs a blackout blind to stop us waking up early in the morning. The main bedroom had a very thin curtains and considering it's by a main road, it needs thick curtains to stop noise and light coming through. Having said that the noise wasn't too bad considering is above a pub and next to a main road. We could hear the noise from the pub but it didn't disturb our sleep. My main issue was the bathroom, the shower was too strong, and you couldn't adjust it, no way my daughter could use that, had a shower screen you couldn't adjust which meant there was water on the floor and to my surprise, they knocked on our door soon after my shower to say i've flooded the restaurant! So all in all, was ok and good location to richmond, nice breakfast but it wouldn't be my first choice. Also tv wasn't working which wasn't a big deal but would have been nice for my daughter.
Other trip Jun 22, 2013
"No place like home!"
Well like any internet photograph the reality can be somewhat a surprise. In this case the glasses are very rose tinted. We we allocated room 1 which is the 'Cath Kidston' room in the photos. My partner noticed the 'No place like home' poster and wondered why your would it in a hotel room. The shower room is only for the brave with its Sanliflow toilet and 1970s green and carpet... for £40 a night would be ok but the rack rate is £115 is ridiculous even at £70 I would stay with Lenny Henery. After a good meal we retired to bed to find that the sheet was a double and the bed is a king, The mattress and covers showing, thankfully the bar noise finished shortly after 11pm. Our sleep was interrupted by the burglar alarm at 1 38 am, at this time you realise that the hotel has no staff onsite (yes really) once it is closed. I called the emergency number on the door and got a youth who eventually understood what the problem was and must have sorted out the problem, the owners phone went to voice mail which is odd! Anyway no mention of this in the morning by the staff until I mentioned and find out is a common problem when window is opened in room 4 ...no wonder the owner keeps a low profile! Anyway my advice is to give a wide berth. Eat there but only stay if you have to.
1 night romance trip Jun 15, 2013
Mr David
Nice hotel and good value for money....although the food was very over priced!
2 night trip May 14, 2013
Reasonable value. Dinner very good. No one around in morning to serve breakfast at time agreed but breakfast was good when served 25 minutes late.
1 night trip May 6, 2013
dananeda
"Excellent food let down by accommodation"
The bar is excellent and serves top quality food. staff are really helpful and friendly. However it was let down by the accommodation, which is outdated not very comfortable and my room was never cleaned or replenished with tea/coffee, towels etc.
3 night business trip Apr 29, 2013
"Nice hotel,shame about the wallpaper"
Pub and food was very good,apart from my wife's dessert. Am afraid the room had been decorated in a cheap and tacky style. Ensuite was also not very clean. When we booked in the bar manageress or owner asked the waitress to show us to our room. When I booked a table for our evening meal she did not realise we were the same people who had booked into the bed and breakfast only a couple of hours earlier. Am afraid we would bot stay again but would eat at the pub if we were passing.
1 night trip Apr 20, 2013
Mr and Mrs Clegg
"great food"
Generally good only let down by the fact that we were not informed about inability to check in between 3pm and 6pm, even although we phoned only to get the answer phone. We left a message to say we were outside at 4.45pm but to no avail. We had to sit in the car in the car park until 6pm. Luckily, due to everything else being excellent, this did not totally spoil our visit
1 night trip Apr 8, 2013
dy
"family friendly"
Very clean, good host, friendly staff great full English breakfast, family room had a double bed plenty of space to hang clothes in, then a room of the main room with two single beds in, shower and bath in room. Nice little hotel to stay good beer and very welcoming locals. Overall a very pleasent stay had by all THANKS
Other trip Apr 8, 2013
"Really nice friendly and warming place"
Stayed at this bed and breakfast for a night as me and a couple of friends we're doing a bike event the next day, we found it very warming and friendly the food was good and the rooms were very clean and tidy. Would defiantly stay here again.
1 night trip Nov 9, 2012

"Hübsches Hotel in ländlicher Umgebung"
Sehr schön eingerichtetes Familienzimmer, sehr sauber und gemütlich. Durch die direkt vorbeigehende Hauptstrasse und das direkt unter den Zimmern gelegene Pub ist es allerdings etwas laut. Nicht geeignet für Ruhesuchende. Der Pub bietet gutes Essen zu moderaten Preisen.
Other trip Nov 1, 2014
2 night business trip Jul 8, 2013
2 night business trip Jul 8, 2013
1 night trip Oct 5, 2012

TripAdvisor reviews for The Farmers Arms

"Definitely worth a detour off the A1 instead of eating a meal at Scotch Corner!"
08/18/15 jojo471 Oxford, United Kingdom
Travelling South from the Scottish Borders to Peterborough at an average of 30 miles per hour in pouring rain was taking the gloss off our relaxing holiday. So rather than try and get a meal at Scotch Corner, we left the A1 and headed for Catterick. The Farmers Arms was the first place we saw, so we stopped there for lunch, and were not disappointed. The staff were welcoming; there were other people dining and drinking; and the whole place was nicely finished and comfortable (there's an amazing mural of horses racing on one wall!) The food, which was reasonably priced, came quickly and was extremely tasty. Our thanks to The Farmers Arms for being a haven.
"Value for money"
08/16/15 lauren t Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Stayed here 2nights with a friend as we were doing the Krypton factor in Richmond, When we arrived we got checked in quickly, room was well presented, plenty of plug sockets which alot of places lack so this was great, tea and coffee facilities, hair dryer, telly etc. One of the downsides was the toilet in the bathroom, did not flush very well you had to do it 3 and 4 times. Also the location of this place is on a fairly busy road so it was quite noisy through the night. Also when we arrived we got a piece of paper to fill in our breakfast requests and what time we would be down, great variety and plenty to choose from. Defo worth the money.
"Caring staff and an atmosphere to die for"
08/14/15 Eddiemate
We stayed for 1 night as a family of 4, we arrived as they were opening about 6 and were welcomed in by staff that seemed genuinely happy and excited to have us there. We were shown to our rooms that, for the money we payed, were fantastic. We booked for our dinner and were invited to take part in the quiz, which was an opportunity we jumped at. When we arrived for our meal the table was already set out but we were able to read our menus and order from the pool table. When the food came (two lamb meals, hunter chicken and a T-bone steak) it was all cooked to perfection, fantastically tasty and not a bit overdone, and portion sizes that were just right. Then the quiz night, a hilarious time to be had there, quizmaster made you feel welcome be you local or tourist, as did the locals themselves. Then the bar staff and manager were more than happy to keep the bar open far longer that you would expect and share a drink with us after hours. A really fantastic place to stay, I wholeheartedly recommend it. So, to conclude: •Friendly staff •brilliant atmosphere •fantastic food •hilarious entertainment •reasonable prices •nice rooms •comfy beds •all round fantastic fun for all the family. Thank you very much Farmers Arms for making our stay a very special one
"cant wait to go back"
08/08/15 lynne662015 Liverpool, United Kingdom
From start to finish of our 2 night stay we could not find a single fault Ive read some reviews on here and i wonder if we stayed in the same place Staff are very polite, friendly and nothing is too much trouble for them Breakfast was of very high quality, room was cosy and comfortable and cleanliness is spot on, my daughter and her family live in richmond hence our visit and the lady at the hotel kindly agreed to let our grandson stay overnight with us at no extra charge plus he was given breakfast which he really enjoyed, It isnt very often i get to see my grandson and thanks to the generosity of the great staff i spent precious time with him, it was an adventure for him staying in nan`s "New house" The noise from traffic was minimal and did not bother us at all but if it did a pair of earplugs cost a few pence I really cant praise the place high enough and every member of staff we spoke to made us feel very welcome, Cant wait for our next visit :) Thankyou all at the Farmers arms xx
"Great food!"
07/27/15 samsparkly Newark-on-Trent, United Kingdom
We stopped off here for some lunch on the way to a hotel we travelling to. The staff were friendly and welcoming, and the food was really good, proper home cooked! It probably was a little overpriced though. We noticed that the chairs had a lot of duct tape on them which showed the place was probably a little tired. Despite this, it was busy.
"an odd experience"
07/13/15 robv12 Eyemouth, United Kingdom
we arrived well before the last check in time, place was all locked up, lights off, contact number on the door rang into the pub. Luckily I found a back door open and another resident who gave me a mobile contact, I was told the keys were in the door, but how would I have known that. Breakfast, we arrived to the question "who are you", I felt sorry for the staff on duty as it was clearly not their fault, they served up a fabulous breakfast in record time
"Excellent "
07/12/15 Marcus M
Stayed for 1 night only...Great staff and a fantastic room very clean and spacious..unfortunately I didn't eat there but it was very busy for a Thursday. ....highly recommended..5 min walk from catterick race course
"Would not stay again"
07/07/15 Ann M Melbourne, Australia
Having walked the C2C before we wanted to walk further than Richmond and had to accept accommodation at the Farmers Arms (our first choice was not taking bookings at the time we booked.) Sadly this was a poor choice. We knew in advance that we were not to be admitted before 6pm but when we arrived at 4.30pm we were surprised to find the pub in full swing – for a post funeral get-together! We did offer to wait till the appointed time but were booked- in during the festivities! The accommodation was tired to say the least but unsuccessful attempts had been made to improve its appearance. The bed was uncomfortable, the en-suite was tiny, the lighting dim, perhaps to hide the poor cleanliness. The shower drained slowly and due to the antiquated waste water system we had to flush the toilet to get the pump working to assist shower drainage (detailed instructions given in the welcome booklet)! Meals were nothing to get excited about and breakfast offered minimal choice. Although the room was kerb side, noise was not too bad until about 4am when the traffic increased. On the whole, not the best stay. Stayed 9th June 2015
"Will not return."
06/03/15 Marie A
Visited Weds 3rd June & will not return. The place was busy with the shoot party (you wont have them for long by the look of what they were served!!) This was not explained & that there would be a wait. Serving staff need to get some manors and some customer service skills. Took them ages to take our order after walking past us several time & chatting/argueing between themselves at the bar. Couldn't decide who was in charge. When our meals did arrive the name of one meal was barked at us followed with a glare with the woman telling another waitress there was more food in the kitchen across our table. Plus there was no apology for the of time it took.One of the meals had a long piece of cotton in it but staff not interested. Did think about puddings but nobody was interested in taking our order so we paid and left. If the owners do read this, you need better staff and the lady with long black hair put up needs training on the coffee machine as heard her say she couldn't make one type of coffee hence tells customers who ask for it they dont have all the ingredient, now good enough farmers arms!! Will end on a positive - chips were good.
"Helpful staff, problem we had was delt with well"
05/29/15 Cathy H West Yorkshire, United Kingdom
Having read reviews after booking we were concerned as to what we would find. We had a lovely room, the staff were friendly and helpful. there was a problem with the plumbing which being bank holiday they had been unable to fix however they offered us a couple of alternative arrangements to choose from - both of which would have been ok, and a part refund which seemed generous. We also saw the staff being very helpful to other guests who arrived late evening when they had stopped serving food - they arranged a take away for them and laid a table. Breakfast was good, we did not eat the evening meal so can't comment. We would stay there again - or recommend it for a reasonable priced stop over