All hotels in Edinburgh, Scotland, United Kingdom
36 Simpson Loan, Quartermile, Edinburgh, Scotland, EH3 9GF, United Kingdom, ‏‎855-239-9485

"Large rooms, fantastic breakfast!"
Beautiful, modern hotel, helpful staff, best breakfast ever. Good location. We walked everywhere although a bus stop is about a block away. Our room was large with a comfortable bed and very nice bathroom with roomy shower. A handy mini-kitchen included dishes, silverware, a sink, microwave, automatic dishwasher, toaster, and electric pot.
Other trip Jun 2, 2014
Gail
"Almost like home!"
With a microwave, dishwasher, fridge, toaster, and rapid water heater we were set for our stay in Edinburgh. The staff was remarkable, helping us at every opportunity in the friendliest manner possible. The breakfast was wonderful as well. Our room was professionally cleaned every day. We could not have asked for a more pleasant and enjoyable stay. There is a grocery store and Starbucks nearby which was an unexpected convenience.
Other trip May 21, 2014
"Nice hotel near the university of Edinburgh"
This hotel was clean and in a nice area near the university. The staff went out of their way to ensure we had a great stay! They were friendly and courteous and went above and beyond. I would definately stay again.
Other trip May 18, 2014
chris
"Nice hotel in quiet area"
This hotel is nice and located on the edge of Old Town Edinburgh. Great if you don't mind walking to main attractions of Edinburgh Castle and the Royal Mile. We are in slightly better than average condition so the walk wasn't that bad for us. There is a large beautiful park just a couple minutes from the room, Starbucks very close, nice little grocery very close, etc. I would definitely recommend it.
Other trip May 18, 2014
"Can't say enough about the amazing staff service."
Superior service by all staff. We felt amazingly welcome through our stay. The breakfast was a real treat and a highlight of our day...along with the great fresh baked cookies that waited for us after a long day of seeing sites. The location worked for us and was a 5-10 minute walk to bus stops. The studio room we stayed in was bright and cheery. There is no AC in the rooms, so we were lucky to have good enough weather to be comfortable. It can get a little noisy having the window open.
Other trip May 14, 2014
"Glad we were there only one night"
On the good side, it was nicely located, overall tidy, and the staff was friendly. Breakfast was good. Room was bigger than expected. On the downside: - we found toenail clippings on the floor in front of the couch (gross) - The room/hotel is "green" and requires that you leave the key in the light panel to keep lights on. However, there were no instructions to this in the room. -There were no instructions to control the blasting heat and there seemed to be no AC or fans. - I specifically asked for a king sized bed since both my boyfriend and I are tall & paid an increased price for this. The bed was clearly a double. But again we were staying one night... so we adjusted. - Then at about 2am, an alarm went off in the room and the bedroom door slammed shut. When I went to speak to the person at the front desk, she apologized for the toenails & the lights/heat but didn't know about the alarm. Then, a manager came over and explained it was because bedroom door is a fire door and the slightest motion or sound can set the alarm off (huh?). So they advise to keep the door closed while sleeping (but it was too hot too do). He did say they were writing up instructions for these items this week. He blamed the bed size mix-up on Expedia not telling them. Overall, he was apologetic about my experience but really couldn't do anything at that point to make it right. So though it was not the worst experience, don't know if I'd stay again.
Other trip May 4, 2014
RF
"Wonderful in every way!"
We stayed here for a one-night weekend getaway, and couldn't have been happier. The apartment-style room was huge, light and airy, with modern decor and a super-comfy bed. The kitchen area was well-equipped with a decent-sized fridge, sink, microwave and work surface, and the walk-in shower was a lovely size. Complimentary breakfast was a real bonus, with a large choice and a nice restaurant area. Best of all is the location - right by the lovely Meadows area of Edinburgh, close to the Royal Mile and old town, and - handily, given the fact that we had a kitchen - just round the corner from a supermarket. Felt like a a real break away in a home from home. Will definitely be staying there again.
1 night romance trip Mar 15, 2014
Rich
The place is relatively new and very well kept. The staff were wonderful and it's in a great location in the old city, right next to the University of Edinburgh. Would definitely stay again.
Other trip Feb 14, 2014
"The Holiday Inn Express next door was more new."
Ok, but not as expected. The room was old. The carpets were worn out. The Holiday Inn Express next door was more new and modern.
Response by Residence Inn by Marriott Edinburgh
Thank you for taking the time to complete our Guest Satisfaction Survey and sharing your experience with the Residence Inn Edinburgh. I am sorry we did not meet the standards you expected in your response. Please accept our sincere apologies for the inconvenience you may have experienced. We take great pride in ensuring our guest’s satisfaction and are looking at ways to improve. Our goal is to address your concerns so that we can ensure you have an exceptional experience on your next visit.
Other trip Feb 1, 2014
Celso
"Great location. Very clean. Excellent service"
Lovely room located new the University in a very quiet and new area called the quarter mile.
Other trip Jan 13, 2014
"Would recommend to anyone and everyone"
The room was great- clean, spacious, new, and extremely well maintained. The staff always went above and beyond. The breakfast was phenomenal with a great selection. I will definitely be back to stay here if I ever find myself back in Scotland!
6 night trip with friends Dec 29, 2013
TS
"Lovely hotel. Wonderful and helpful staff."
I found this hotel to be perfect for a quick stay and it would have been great for a lengthy one, as well. My room was a lot more spacious than I expected and the fluffy bed was an added bonus. All the staff were wonderful, from the front desk personnel, to the waiters, room cleaners and bartender. I thoroughly enjoyed my stay and would recommend it to anyone.
Other trip Jan 3, 2014
Emily
"Great hotel in a new neighborhood"
I loved this hotel. The room was very clean and well-kept, including the kitchenette. The hotel is in a new neighborhood with some buildings still under construction, but I had no problems with the noise. The staff was very friendly and accommodating. The breakfast was decent.
2 night trip Nov 21, 2013
Melanie
"Edinburgh at your fingertips"
Our stay at the Residence Inn was great. The location is within walking distance of both old and new town with proximity to Edinburgh Castle and the Royal Mile. The staff couldn't have been nicer, and all were very helpful with directions and dining recommendations. Our room was bright and clean. The hotel has a great breakfast in the morning and other meals are available during the day. Also, the hotel has free laundry available for guests. We stayed here 4 days prior to going on a cruise. Couldn't have picked a better place.
4 night romance trip Aug 20, 2013
Helen
"Almost Perfect Hotel"
Where to start, -- Friendly helpful staff, got me a 2 hour early check-in -- Clean spacious room -- Breakfast included -- A short walk to the Royal Mile with plenty of sights, shops and restaurants along the way -- A small grocery store and 3 cafes (that’s right, 3 cafes, including the ubiquitous Starbucks) right around the corner -- When they called a cab to take me to the airport it arrived in 3 minutes. Not bad for a hotel off the beaten path at the end of a small quiet street. After a good day’s worth of walking and sightseeing it was a great feeling knowing what awaited me. I will definitely stay at this hotel again when I come back to Edinburgh.
Other trip Nov 1, 2013
F
Travel vacation. Breakfast very appealing and high quality and variety. Service was outstanding. Only complaint was the bathroom tile (floor and walls ) could use a good scrubbing. the tile was not too clean. We were in room 115. Otherwise all was terrific. I will stay again.
Other trip Oct 14, 2013
"A convenient and comfortable hotel in Old Town."
We enjoyed our stay just minutes from the Royal Mile and the major attractions in Edinburgh. The hotel staff were very helpful and out room was clean and comfortable. We would stay here again when visiting Edinburgh.
3 night family trip Sep 26, 2013
Mike H.
"Nice stay. Clean bldg clean people!"
Helpful staff. When I needed directions the staff too their time to male sure I was ok. Very nice you Asia's girl.
Other trip Sep 28, 2013
The Dango
Hotel staff were friendly and helpful. Convenient to coffee shops and small grocery store. Laundry machine was a plus, also. Breakfast was great. Not too much of a walking distance to attractions. Nice walking path and park nearby.
Other trip Sep 25, 2013
Mickey
"Great Location, Svce., & Environmentally Friendly"
We had a wonderful time at this hotel! The staff are particularly friendly and sincerely interested in helping you. Our room was spacious...we had a one bedroom "suite," which was equipped with all your kitchen needs (even a dishwasher). What is particularly special about the hotel is their commitment to the environment by reducing their carbon footprint. The room was equipped with an automatic, electrical shut down system, so that when you left with your "key" (which was used to not only open the door, but also turn on all electrical systems), all lights turned off...brilliant! The location is perfectly situated to all of Edinburgh's main tourist attractions...but is set back slightly, so you don't hear the crowds and traffic. I highly recommend this Marriott Residence Inn in Edinburgh.
Other trip Sep 2, 2013
"Great hotel close to old town center"
Appreciated the fact that the hotel is situated in a quite section of town just a few minutes away from the Royal Mile so we avoided all the street noise from the Fringe festival which was underway.
Other trip Aug 16, 2013
Ana
"My visit to Edinburgh"
The main purpose of my visit was NOT the Fringe, however, I found it very pleasing. As for the Residence Inn by Marriott, the staff was unbelievably pleasant and very helpful. When I return to Edinburgh for a visit in the future, the Residence Inn will be my first pick.
Other trip Aug 15, 2013
Glen
"Rooms need soundproofing!"
The hotel was nice, and the breakfast offered in the morning was a big plus. The BIGGEST issue that needs addressing is the very thin walls, at one time during the night, I woke my husband and asked him to turn to stop snoring, and we realized it was the guest in the next room! We could hear conversations and televisions late into the night. The one washer and dryer for the use of guests were not sufficient to wash/dry in a timely way, several guests walked away when they saw how long it was taking to run a medium sized load of wash. The location was good except for having to pass panhandlers on the way to the Royal Mile, but I guess this is true in other tourist areas of the city.
2 night family trip Jul 22, 2013
"Excellent stay - quiet and comfortable."
Very quiet and convenient to everything. Excellent staff -- very helpful.
Other trip Jun 9, 2013
Kate
The staff was very helpful and incredibly friendly. When we had a problem with a connecting room and noise next door they moved us immiediately after being notified. Breakfast was provided every morning and had a nice selection of hot and cold items. The location was out of the hustle and bustle of old town but very easily walkable to everything. I would definitely recommend this hotel.
Other trip Jun 4, 2013
Hotel was great. Staff very helpful. Location is good to expore old town, Had a great visit.
6 night trip May 19, 2013
Bryan
"Must Stay"
I stay here two to three times per quarter, very happy. Easy walk to the city.
5 night business trip Mar 24, 2013
"Good hotel for a business trip"
The hotel was a good choice, very pleasant and helpful staff, spacious rooms but bathroom very small. The cookies served mid morning at reception were delicious !
Other trip Mar 4, 2013
Shahira
"Very convenient, walking distance to sites"
Great location with short walks to Royal Mile. Room was clean and spacious. The staff was helpful on places to go. Great breakfast.
2 night family trip Feb 11, 2013

"Amazing hotel, friendly staff, great location"
Upon arrival the employees at check in were very friendly and willing to help, asking if we knew the area and then suggesting a route to the town and good restaurants/shopping areas. Stayed for 5th anniversary with girlfriend so booked a suite, the room was amazing with large king bed, spacious living separate living room with TV in both rooms. Nice kitchen attached to living room. Room was very clean. Hotel is situated only 10 minutes walk from the main area so perfect location we usually get taxis but didn't once on this trip. Breakfast options were vast with cereal, pastries, hot food, hot/cold drinks and cakes. They even have a carry out option if you are in a rush. Hotel was amazing and the only downside I can think of is the evening food was not great.
2 night romance trip Dec 11, 2015
Raymond
"Ideal Edinburgh Hotel"
Great place to stay we had a studio room, the room had all you would need to go self catering, we went B&B which had a good buffet breakfast. Good location adjacent University with a 15 minute walk to top of Royal Mile Good Choice will stay here again
2 night romance trip Dec 9, 2015
alan
"Overall good, and centrally located"
The hotel is centrally located, a short walk to the old town, castle, and close to public transport to get you around Edinburgh. Free wifi is great. Overall room facilities were great, with a handy little kitchenette. The staff were very friendly and helpful. Only negatives was that my room was very noisey and could hear every word of the guests in the room next door, and that he cutlery draw was full of bread crumbs from the prior guests.
6 night trip Dec 1, 2015
Ashleigh
"Lovely weekend away"
Couldn't have asked for better service
2 night romance trip Dec 4, 2015
Excellent location , very clean, front desk staff very helpful and good choice at breakfast , faultless
2 night romance trip Dec 7, 2015
Wayne
The staff were very helpful. There was a wide variety of choice at breakfasthe. The rooms were spotless and the beds were very comfortable. I would definitely stay here again.
1 night family trip Dec 5, 2015
"Excellent place to stay"
Good location within a 15 minute walk of the Royal mile and other bars and restaurants even closer but a quiet area in the immediate vicinity, excellent service from every member of staff we came into contact with, clean rooms and good facilities in the room, good choice for breakfast and weekend times . Only point I'd say could be improved was the comfort of the settee in the room but this is nit picking really.
2 night romance trip Dec 4, 2015
Richie
"Edinburgh Break"
Great location, welcoming staff, very comfortable and clean. Would definitely recommend
2 night romance trip Nov 27, 2015
"Superb Accommodation in Edinburgh"
Thoroughly enjoyed this hotel because of the spacious room, comfortable beds and cleanliness as well as the kitchen facilities. The buffet breakfast was very enjoyable as they catered for all tastes. The late check out was also a bonus. Have no hesitation in recommending this hotel and would certainly return.
1 night family trip Nov 21, 2015
"Suitable for Business not at all cosy!"
We came up on the new borders railway and nb the station is quite a walking distance to the hotel. The hotel is in a new business district and very modern. We were dismayed to open the curtains in Rm 414 and find our view was an office block with clear views of us in the room (is the glass one way?) Didn't like the goldfish feeling. Breakfast was in a very small area of reception and the space was inadequate. Breakfast was so so.
1 night romance trip Nov 12, 2015
"Excellent and comfortable"
I was due to attend a wedding that afternoon at a close-by chapel. Although the check-in was at 4pm they managed to have the room ready for me by when I arrived at 11 which made such a difference! Managed to get 30min sleep, get ready and arrive on time at the chapel. To be honest I really did not have much time available to fully appreciate the accommodation but the comfort and staff were amazing. Planning on returning for New Years!
1 night trip with friends Nov 14, 2015
Alexandra
"Nice hotel and room"
Very nice hotel and a good location to the university. Room was very nice (executive one I think!). Breakfast was reasonable. Would definitely stay there again.
1 night business trip Jun 4, 2015
Harith
"Very nice stay"
Lovely hotel. Buffet breakfast great. Very handy for centre of Edinburgh Trip only marred by getting a parking ticket for the five mins we parked outside to unload and ask where car park was ! and a sunday as well. Very nice restaurant almost next door called No 8.
2 night romance trip Nov 1, 2015
"Good choice for Edinburgh sightseeing"
Spacious, comfortable and clean room, very cold bathroom (because of huge glass window and no heating). Breakfast was below average, no fresh juices and they will charge you for decent coffee! The location of the hotel is superb for sightseeing if you prefer walking than cabs or buses.
2 night romance trip Oct 16, 2015
Kyriakos
"Highly recommended"
Great weekend break
2 night romance trip Oct 16, 2015
"Excellent location- cool area."
Great new hotel in a perfect location. Nice University surroundings. Staff were lovely- breakfast was very good. We would stay in this hotel again.
Other trip Oct 19, 2015
"Great base for Edinburgh sight seeing"
Very nice comfortable stay at the residence inn. Front desk moved us at our request on 2nd day as rooms on odd number side are slightly smaller and bed was only a double. Even side rooms have king size beds (I believe). Only down side was that the room was a little warm even though 15 degrees c in the day outside.
3 night romance trip Oct 9, 2015
"Good, but standard of cleaning could be better"
We stayed here for two nights. The room had good facilities, however it was also clear that it hadnt been cleaned correctly. There were two half full bottles of complimentary water in the fridge, several blades of grass on the wooden floor, a fair bit of dust on the furniture, and a pair of unsused socks in the wardrobe!! I reported this to reception who were full of apologies and offered us a free drink, but still didnt sort out the issues. The staff are really friendly, the breakfast is very good and the surrounding area is good, except for a fair bit of building work - it appears the hotel is part of the first wave of development for the area as a whole. The hotel is 5-10 minutes from the Royal Mile and Grassmarket areas. 15-20 mins walk from the station.
2 night romance trip Oct 9, 2015
"Quick Stay, but great experience"
Very short stay at the hotel (12 hours!), but great experience. Was welcomed by name at the front desk by the staff, and advised regarding parking which was next door (12.80 for 24 hours with the hotels discount). Breakfast was really nice, fresh pastries, cereals, pancakes, waffles, scrambled egg, beans etc.... more than enough variety. Hotel was clean and room was very nice.
1 night romance trip Oct 8, 2015
Aamer
"Fantastic hotel!"
Fantastic hotel, clean & quiet, right near the University of Edinburgh campus. Great breakfast, lovely and extremely helpful hotel staff. I would stay there again in a heartbeat.
Other trip Oct 10, 2015
Peggy
"Lovely modern hotel."
Lovely welcome. Room was spacious and well equipped. Breakfast was great. Would stay again.
1 night romance trip Sep 24, 2015