All hotels in New York, New York, United States of America
220 Bowery, New York, NY, 10012, United States of America, ‏‎800-491-6126

2.5
"Solo Getaway for Afropunk festival"
I will be back here when I need a place to sleep for a solo getaway in NYC! Close to trains & its a perfect location!
2 night trip Aug 22, 2015
Place is great for what it is: an inexpensive secure room with a small bed with a lattice ceiling. Cool bathrooms and great roof area. Its not the Ritz, but for the price point its great. Do bring an eye mask. Do not be over 5'8" and expect to stretch out.
1 night business trip Aug 18, 2015
Ethan
"I love the staff and the upgrades!!"
I stayed recently again the BH, the staff were nice and manger was nice enough tom give me an upgrade!!! :) I had a very peaceful night until the fire alarm went off then could not sleep until the second day!! :( BH is a good place to stay in compared to other places .... These people know how to make their customer come back!!
1 night business trip Aug 18, 2015
Ahmed
"Tiny home in the heart of the city"
The Bowery House is the cleanest hostel I've ever stayed in. The cabins are very, very small (I do not recommend for someone taller than 5'6" because the beds are so short!) but if you only need a place to stay you cannot beat the value. The neighborhood is great as well, and the staff are friendly and helpful.
1 night trip Aug 5, 2015
"noisy but nice"
Rooms are exposed to a lot of noise. Mine was right under very loud A/C Lounge was very comfortable!
1 night business trip Jul 20, 2015
Dwight
"Bowery's Hidden Gem"
When we had to book last-minute in Manhattan, we were worried that a place in Bowery would be hard to stomach, but we were wrong. The space is a converted hostel. Dorm rooms sleep about 8 each. The private rooms are small, about 6'x6'. It felt like a cabin on a cruise liner. Everything is very clean and well-maintained. Bed linens and towels are decent quality. The shared bathroom was a little messy, (3.5/5) but not dirty. Earplugs were provided with the room, as the rooms have 3/4 walls, and sound carries. We did not need them. The two staff members we spoke with were very friendly and welcoming, moreso than any hotel I've stayed at before. Check-in and check-out were a breeze. The front desk is staffed all night, so you can come in any time after 3pm to check-in. Free wifi was provided, but it was very slow. Unusable for streaming or image-heavy sites. Useful for sending email or doing light research if you are patient. The rooftop patio was nice, but seemed better suited to a party than relaxing in the morning. Overall, it was a great experience. We were so busy during all the time we were in New York, it was nice to have a pleasant, 2-minute check-in and a room on the second floor. If you're looking for all the amenities of a four-star hotel, Bowery House may not be for you. However, if you want to stay somewhere clean and friendly that won't break the bank, while still being close to the action, I definitely recommend it.
1 night romance trip Jul 8, 2015
Laila
"Adorable and clean hostel in NYC!"
My friend and I spent one night here in a cabin room and absolutely loved it! The service was accommodating and friendly, the space was adorable and clean (including the bathrooms), and it was walking distance to all kinds of fun happenings. I've stayed at a number of hostels and this one even had paper towels in the bathrooms (oftentimes they have nothing or just a shared towel) and shampoo, conditioner, and body wash in the showers (normally you have to bring your own). The next time I'm in NYC, I will definitely be staying here! The only downside of the location is that a group of homeless people have parked themselves near the door. But, from what I could tell, they were harmless. If you can get past that, it's an awesome place to stay and I highly recommend it!
1 night trip with friends Jul 4, 2015
"No-frills Solo Traveler"
The rooms aren't enclosed and you can hear EVERYTHING around you, phones, walking, etc. The room areas are a quiet area. Aside from that, the hotel is very nice, has a great lobby and wonderful staff. It's truly for the no-frills solo traveler though.
2 night trip Jun 26, 2015
Tracy
"Bowery House Blues"
DO NOT expect any level of comfort at this hotel. The cabins are small, about 4x6 maybe, by cabins I mean closets with no ceiling, only a wood lattice covering to stop anyone from taking your stuff. Its basically a hostel in everything but name. The beds are small, under 5'7 because I'm 5'8 and my feet just barely hung off the edge. My luggage took up 90% of the space between my "bed" and the wall. The bed was basically the size of a small cot with a lumpy pillow and rock hard mattress. I've been in the army for awhile now so I was used to being able to hear the other guests snore, have conversations and make general noise while you're trying to sleep, if it wasn't for my military service and my utter exhaustion from the NYC humidity and walking so much I would not have been able to sleep. Charging $87 a night for a closet and community bathrooms, you wonder where some people get the nerve. There are bigger rooms with bigger beds but they run into the well over $100 dollar range. Overall its a good place if you just want to have a place to set your stuff down, charge your phone and just get some rest if you plan on spending all your time on the streets. The Bowery House is relatively clean and cheap, and they do try to make it a hip environment with the interior decor. The staff is also polite and helpful, especially Margarita. They also have a decent roof hangout pad. Make sure and bring shower shoes i.e. flip flops for the community showers.
4 night trip Jun 18, 2015
Stanley
"Awesome room for travelers on a budget"
It's New York. You shouldn't be doing anything in your hotel but sleeping. For travelers on a budget this little gem in the Bowery is perfect. You get a nice clean private cabin with a surprisingly comfortable cot sized bed. I'm 6'1" 185lb and it was a tight fit but once I arranged my luggage(carrying size backpack) I was quite comfortable. The bathrooms and showers are shared by all guests on the floor in the typical hostel style, but they were clean, well maintained and even offered very nice quality soap, shampoo and body wash in each shower. This place is definitely not for everyone, but for those of us who travel fast and light, this is a great alternative to paying the big prices at the major Manhattan hotels.
1 night business trip Jun 15, 2015
Clinton
"Great, tiny spot for a place to crash only."
Bowery house is NOT a comfort hotel it is a tiny limited space not for hanging out space. BUT it is incredibly clean, nicely furnished space the staff are very good. If you want an inexpensive just a place to sleep hotel that is very clean then I can reccomend it. It is not romantic, but more of a hostel type environment. When the very nicely done shared bathrooms had no hot water for my one night stay the staff refunded me a nice chunk of my money. I would recommend this for people looking for clean crash space and couple who do not care if they have 100% privacy and just want a place to sleep. They do have a few larger rooms but again this is NOT a romantic spot many of the rooms do not have a full ceiling and you can hear the other folks staying in the other "rooms". They do have quite rules though so it was just people moving about and gettting ready for bed etc. They provide earplugs which worked great for me and the bed was comfy, if small. If you are tall(I am 5'8") this may not work for you either as the beds are bit shorter than a standard size bed.
1 night trip Jun 1, 2015
Cybele
Too expensive for what you get - they should really call themselves a "hostel" because the single rooms (cabins) are extremely small and do not give you any privacy (guests are not even allowed to talk on the phone there).
Other trip Jun 2, 2015
"Would've been great if the showers weren't broken."
Room was small, but I knew this when I booked in, everything was very clean, the bed was comfortable. Showers were broken, with water only coming out intermittently, staff didn't seem to think it was an urgent matter to be fixed which seemed to ruin the stay there somewhat, luckily my stay was only a few nights. Great location, the rooftop garden was fantastic place to relax in the evening.
2 night trip May 25, 2015
Kimberly
"Lodging in the LES gallery district"
A perfect place if you need nothing more than a place to sleep and recharge. The room was clean and there was no problem with the shared bathroom. I was reminded of some of the places I've stayed in when travelling in the EU. I will add, this location is perfect for anyone visiting the LES gallery district or the New Museum.
1 night business trip May 19, 2015
"A Dump !"
This place is a dump. If you want to sleep in a cage go for it! There is just enough room to stand next to your bed. bathrooms were horrible. Showers were terrible.
1 night romance trip May 18, 2015
Adam
"Bigger than a breadbox...but not by much."
Bowery House has a serious water issue with sinks and showers; sometimes they work and sometimes they don't, and they don't appear concerned about this. It's as if "it is was it is." They staff was nice enough, but the rooms are simply just too darn small. They're closets, really. While in bed, I had to lie sideways on it or else my head would be against one wall and my feet pressing up against the other. The sheets were clean, I guess, but had stains on them from age and use. If you are on a no-budget trip to NYC, then fine, go for it. But these accommodations are indeed bottom of the barrel.
Other trip May 18, 2015
"Exactly as described! It is what it is."
Exactly as described! It is what it is. Met my need for an inexpensive place to stay. Spaces are smaller than they appear. Beds are relatively short. Third floor. An interesting mix of people. Understand what you are buying! I will stay there again.
Other trip May 18, 2015
"Colorful, historic location"
A good place to stay in NYC for a great price. You stay in cute little "cabin" rooms that include a bed, light and a small night table with drawers. All you need for a short stay. The Bowery House is located basically where Little Italy meets Chinatown, there's plenty of historic buildings around. Lombardi's Pizza is about five minutes away, Katz's Deli is close by too. There's also a Whole Foods Market right down the street if you're not in a restaurant mood. There are also subway stops nearby (Bowery, Spring and Price). Don't forget to head upstairs and check out the rooftop garden, especially at night, you can see the Chrysler building out in the distance and One World Trade Center quite closely. Upon checkout (11 AM), you can leave your luggage in a secure room. Great help for me since I had to wait three hours for my ride home. Some minor downsides to the place: -Cabin room beds are very small. I'm 5'8" and I had to scrunch up to fit comfortably in the bed, if I stretched out fully my feet would be against the wall of the cabin. -Noise. They mean it when they say quiet rooms not guaranteed, and they even give you a complimentary set of earplugs in your room. -Shared bathrooms. Be prepared to wait your turn. -The location is busy and the street was always full of people enjoying the sights, but it can be a little rough. All being said, still a great place to stay for the price and location.
Other trip May 17, 2015
S.L
"Glorified hostel dorm with plywood half-walls"
I am 5'10", pretty average height. I couldn't fit in my room laying on my bed without either my head or my feet touching the walls. And it only took one late night angry, drunk arrival repeatedly banging on doors in the open floorplan to wake me up five times. I'd rather have had bunk beds with a bunch of strangers, locked my luggage in a locker, and not paid $100. Very disappointed. Checked out a day early because I couldn't sleep well enough to do my job the next day, and of course got no money back because it's a Hotels.com booking
2 night business trip May 13, 2015
"Nice hostel, close to little Italy."
Great hostel, friendly staff. Clean rooms. This is not a hotel it is a Hostel. One of the best I stayed in.
Other trip May 10, 2015
jose
"Better and cleaner than a hostel"
The room is even smaller than you imagined and at night you will be hearing someone nearby snoring. There is no way around that with the open ceilings in the rooms. Even if you spring for a larger room with a double bed, you will still be in a space with no ceiling right next to other rooms. The shared bathroom is very clean but it is a true dorm style bathroom so there are no locks on the doors. The single beds are shorter than ordinary and aren't super comfortable and the linens are very basic. The neighborhood is great during the day but late at night it is a little sketchy. I would never stay here with anyone else but if you are alone and just need a room to sleep in this is a great deal. And the rooftop garden in awesome (even though I didn't get any use out of it on this trip). There are also no elevators here so if that is an issue beware.
1 night business trip Apr 6, 2015
"The cabins have no ceilings"
This is a tough place for me to evaluate. It is essentially a hostel with individual "cabins" so there is more privacy and security than I would imagine a hostel would normally have. I was not looking for a hostel. I understood there were shared baths/showers, but I thought I was getting a very modest, private room. It's not a room, it's a "cabin." I found out that means no ceiling so there is no sound barrier. The cabin is essentially a box with no top and you can hear everything around you... seriously everything. There is visual privacy, but that's it. Unless you (and everyone else) is church mouse quiet, everything is heard. There are gratis earplugs on the nightstands which are 100% necessary. There is trellis on top of the cabin to prevent someone from climbing into your "cabin" but it provides no audible privacy. The bathroom was often quite damp. Bring flip flops. I opted for late night showers. With 3 shower and 2 toilet stalls for 50-60 cabins, you can do the math. Also, the men's and women's baths are on different floors. You have to pass through the lobby to get from one to the other. It's a little bit of a hike. Lastly, the front desk and lobby are 4 flights of stairs up from the street.
3 night trip Apr 9, 2015
Nice place to stay for a single person at a reasonable price
Other trip Apr 16, 2015
"Bed with a Door but still Good!"
I stayed at the Bowery House for 9 nights. The cabin i booked was actually not a real hotel room, it was more like a bed with a door. EXACTLY WHAT I WANTED! (No sarkasm!) My suitcase had room under the bed and the be itself was really comfortable. The bathrooms are shared but i never had to stand in line for anything. Since i stayed there for tourism, i didn't spent more time than i slept in the cabin. And for that it was absolutley perfect. Right around the corner is a subway station, which opens up the door to the whole city. 5 Minutes of walking and you're in Chinatown. 2 more minutes and you're in little Italy. It's awesome! The hotel staff is very young and very friendly! :) All in all i highly recommend the Bowery House for people who only need a cheap bed to sleep in Downtown NYC. :)
9 night trip Mar 27, 2015
Aaron
"Great place to overnight when on budget"
Having read many reviews before booking, I knew what to expect - nothing fancy, just a roof over head. I was not disappointed, would definitely recommend this hostel and possibly stay there again myself when in NYC. You probably can't find a cheaper place to stay on Manhattan. The staff was nice and helpful. The cabin was old, but clean and absolutely livable. It has very thin walls and a top made of plywood net, so you can hear everything that's going on outside the room, but ear props are provided if you should need them. I didn't. I stayed in the hostel for 7 nights. There were a few guests who did not have manners and couldn't figure out how to whisper. Luckily the staff managed to convince these people to shut up. I had to take stairs to go to the bathroom or shower room, but that's nothing to complain about, in my opinion at least. The only complaint I have about the room is that it was too short. I couldn't fully stretch myself when lying on the bed. I am 6'2ft (188cm). There is a large common room and even larger rooftop with a view to the One World Trade Center tower. There are 4 subway stops within walking distance as well as cafes, shopping and pharmacy.
7 night trip Mar 16, 2015
Tanel
"u get as much as u pay."
U get as much as u pay...!!!
10 night trip Mar 9, 2015
salma
"Dis Bowery is a house."
The owner yelled at me because my footsteps were too loud when I arrived for a late check in.
1 night business trip Mar 3, 2015
If you would need a single room and you are taller than 185cm, then you would need to consider it may not fit for you.
Other trip Mar 13, 2015
"It's all about expectations"
If you are expecting a hostel you will be happily surprised by the cleanliness and nice interior of this place. Are you expecting a hotel, you won't be comfortable with the small space you're getting and how much you can hear of what goes on in the other "rooms". Also - don't choose a small cabin if you're taller than 165 cm or claustrophobic. I am neither and I was fine! Also, a plus for the very nice bathrooms and showers!
2 night trip Feb 26, 2015
Mirjam
"Good stay at a good rate."
After staying at the New World Hotel twice, I decided to give the Bowery House a try. I found it to be a great improvement over the New World. Building was much better maintained and the staff very professional. I will use this hostel for my solo trips from now on.
1 night trip Feb 21, 2015
Hotel staff was super nice and friendly, cabins were very very small but clean. For one night quite nice.
"Great spot when you just want a bed"
Great hostel, very friendly staff. My only complaint was that it was really dark, but that could have benefits too. I'll stay again if I'm in NYC solo.
1 night trip Jan 30, 2015
Carolyn
"Good, clean, cheap"
For ammount of 50 US, and short stay( 4 nights ) all more than good.
3 night trip Jan 20, 2015
Dario
"Use your indoor voice!"
closet/cabin room okay for solo. Yelling from Mission across the street is bad. Staff is really nice. Temperature control is way too hot around 9-12, then really cold overnight. Rooftop facility looks great on another hotter stay. Super loud neighboring cabin inhabitants are occasional problems.
3 night trip Jan 9, 2015
"gulliver's travels"
the cabins' size is 5'10'' to 4'... the bed's length is 5'7''... beware.
3 night business trip Jan 5, 2015
Yilmaz
Pleasant staff and the facilities are good however there were too many people chatting on their mobile phones late at night and into the morning which made it difficult to sleep.
Other trip Dec 30, 2014
"GREAT PLACE FOR A GREAT PRICE"
The Bowery is the perfect place for a party weekend stay, the staff is lovely and received me with a smile very helpful and made me feel like a five star hotel . Very clean overall and the price made it my new place to stay in the city in a great location next to many subway stations, bars and dance clubs
2 night trip Dec 19, 2014
Hector
"relax"
Peaceful staying with comp. Internet love it!!!
1 night trip Nov 27, 2014
norma
"Affordable class for solo travelers in NYC"
This is the most interesting "hotel" that I've ever stayed in. Expect to walk into a room with cubicle-like walls. Because of the open ceiling, you get to enjoy the body functions of the other guests. The beds/rooms are pretty short, due to the average person size when it was constructed. On the plus side, the day shift employees are super friendly and helpful. The hotel has some interesting history, regarding it's general design function. The main area has a TV, but thankfully the volume was always off. The music was very enjoyable. Decent snacks were available for guests, better meals are nearby (Falafel, Little Italy) Non-related: If you are traveling from out-of-state, make sure you bring enough cash to check in on the weekend. My credit card was declined and I was not able to contact my bank until Monday to let them know the card had not been stolen. NYC is a hot spot.
2 night trip Dec 5, 2014
Terry
"Interesting place for a solo traveller"
The hotel was ideally located and cheap by manhattan standards. As always you get what you pay for- the cabin was actually a cabin, there was charm to it, it was spotless and had everything I needed including ear plugs and yes, I needed the ear plugs. The communal areas were spacious and comfortable and the wifi and friendly staff were a treat. The place has character.
3 night trip Dec 4, 2014
Paula
"Cheap to live"
The men's bathroom is on the other floor. It's not convenient during the night.
Other trip Dec 9, 2014
jerry
"Great accommodations"
Great for just passing through or there for a few days. Staff was great, rooms were clean and overall just a comfortable place.
Other trip Dec 8, 2014
Tony
"The coolest, most hip hostel I.ve ever stayed at."
Hands down this renovated version of a true Bowery flophouse is the best bargain un NYC. Minuscule rooms are like closets but fabulous shower and roofdeck make this hideout very Burroughs / Kerouac sexy and secret but most cabins only fit one. Perfect hideway for the A list crowd in hiding.
Other trip Dec 6, 2014
Sohostud
"Really bad experience !!!!"
Don't like at all. I stayed few hours to rest the night I arrived and I paid for 5 days I lost my money. I went to a better one, close to it.
5 night trip with friends Nov 20, 2014
Fernando
"I can go back again"
Good for the amount you pay, Its very nice, hostel kind of feeling, If you are spending most of your time in sight seeing and you are group of people. Then yes I will recommend it. If you are couple then i might say "may be".
2 night trip Nov 16, 2014
Gangadaar
"great!"
I was very happy with the room they never lie or promise something they cannot delivered. I love that cozy place.
1 night trip Nov 13, 2014
norma
"Ones of my favs"
I love this place :)
1 night business trip Nov 7, 2014
"Convenient but noisy"
Upon arriving I was happy with the initial look. It is a beautiful space. The front desk guy was great. Let me start this by saying, yes we knew it was a hostel. Then we walked through the doors to where the rooms were after being told not to talk in our rooms, that if we wanted to talk that we had to go to the community area. It looks like a maze of closets. The room was super clean, bathrooms clean and beautiful. I will say it is extremely noisy. The ceilings are only lattice so you hear EVERYTHING. Our neighbor was enjoying himself while speaking to his lady on speakerphone and taking care of himself, also every cough, sneeze, etc can be heard. They must have been working on the building because there was constant clanging and what sounded like tools going all the time. I don't suggest saying unless you are a heavy sleeper, they do provide ear plugs and robes. The rooftop garden was beautiful. Overall, was great for the one night I stayed but i wouldn't have stayed any longer.
1 night business trip Nov 5, 2014
"It's a Hostel"
Great neighborhood. Hostel is a bit creepy but its very safe, quite and convenient. I would stay again. Best bang for your buck in Manhattan.
3 night trip Oct 25, 2014
"Ok if you're short and deaf...otherwise..."
The "cabin" I stayed in was a tiny (think 6.5' x 3') bunk with a lattice-work ceiling that lets in sound from all the adjoining cabins and nearby bathrooms. The courtesy ear plugs should have been a big tip off. I'm 6'2", and could barely fit the length of the room -- my feet were pressed against the wall. I managed to get only a couple hours of troubled sleep thanks to the noise, constant coughing from another guest, flushing toilets, creaky bathroom door hinges, and loud people talking in foreign languages to one another and on cell phones (despite the house rule that cell phones are not allowed in the sleeping area). I was eager to get out of bed once 5 a.m. rolled around...and I am not a morning person! The bathroom floor was soaking wet (bring flip flops!) and shower was cold. Ugh. All of that said...if you know what you're in for, and don't really care if you sleep well (I suggest taking a sleep aid to help), and you're under 6 feet tall, then you might not have such a bad time here. Everything was clean (except for that early morning wet bathroom floor...eww), the staff were friendly (especially the cute guy with the nice smile working the desk the following morning), there's a rooftop with faux grass and good views and plenty of seating, free wireless internet, and the fact that it's a historic location. I also managed to get a cab outside the next morning despite the torrential downpour.
1 night business trip Oct 21, 2014