All hotels in New York, New York, United States of America
220 Bowery, New York, NY, 10012, United States of America, ‏‎800-491-6126

2.5
"Cheap but tiny"
Whilst the hotel is in a pretty good location, the room is very small and had no ceiling, making it pretty loud.
Other trip Sep 11, 2014
milena
"nice stay"
I just spent one night there, bathroom was very clean and so was the room. I had no problems at all though if you're a girl and travelling alone i recommend taking a cab to the hotel at night
1 night business trip Aug 31, 2014
Berrit
It's nice but really small.
4 night business trip Aug 15, 2014
"First trip to New York"
Love it here it is clean ,orderly and centrally located.
1 night trip Aug 16, 2014
Dennis
"Really nice, good location"
The Bowery House is historic and you definitely get that feel. Everyone that works there is really nice and helpful. The rooms were small but I still had plenty of room and honestly didn't spend that much time in my room. The rooftop garden was really nice and relaxing and had great views at night. It's close to all of the subway stops and there are some really awesome restaurants and coffee shops within walking distance. Overall this was a really nice place to stay and I'll definitely be coming back for future visits.
3 night trip Aug 4, 2014
Brandon
"Helped make my travel less lonely"
PROS: shared baths use large pump bottles instead of small toiletries, clean and up kept, pantry and comfy couches in the lobby, rooftop garden, easy access to power outlet, strong WiFi connection CONS:no elevator, your shower can be on a different floor, no king sized bed option
1 night business trip Jul 28, 2014
Candice
"It is what it is"
Cool, minimilist and messy. The front desk staff is excellent. The rooftop is excellent. The location in Bowery is excellent. The rooms/cabin are (even for a hostel...) are crazy-small and the beds are too short. Restrooms are not cleaned regularly; however, they are appointed well - haha
4 night trip Jul 25, 2014
The3pswithjb
"Cheapest room in NYC"
You might think the location is not great, but Prince Street is just around the corner and it is hopping with great food, so i even felt safe enough to walk to the hotel after midnight. Yes, the rooms are small but you have all you need. It was summer and it was cool enough in the room to sleep. I thought it would be all young people. It was more mixed age than I expected. Cost wise fabulous for NYC. Unlike a hostel dorm room,I had privacy and a lock on my door- also i could stay out as late as I want.
2 night trip Jul 21, 2014
NY NJ Expat
"Good value for the money"
Overall, my week stay at the Bowery House was great. You cannot beat the price in that location! The bathrooms were super clean and the showers are fantastic. The rooms were fine, it's not very quiet so if you are a light sleeper keep that in mind. They give you ear plugs but they aren't super helpful in blocking the noise but it is a hostel type situation, so noise is to be expected. I loved the roof deck. When you check in take note if the front desk extension so that if you need to call them (like day if the lock on your door breaks and you can't get out if your cubicle or if the front door buzzer is not working ) you can get the desk directly otherwise it just goes straight to voicemail. Overall, it was a great place to stay and I would return if visiting That area of Manhattan again.
7 night business trip Jul 18, 2014
"Never Staying here Again"
Jail Cell. Community Showers. A lot like county jail with out the inmates. Small, Dirty , Loud, Cancelled my reservation and made me feel like they were doing me a favor by honoring my reservation that they cancelled. Don't Do It!!!
1 night business trip Jul 22, 2014
"Great price for a great place to sleep"
I stayed in one of the traditional private rooms, definitely small, but hey if you are in New York and only need a place to sleep, it was perfect! If you are taller than 5'1 the bed will be too small to extend your legs, but the bed is comfy, room is clean, and community bathroom/showers are clean as well. Noise level can be high during the weekends since the room doesn't have a ceiling but has wooden lattice as the ceiling, so it is technically open. The hotels conveniently located and a short walk to the subway. I stayed Saturday through Tuesday morning and would definitely stay there again in the future.
3 night business trip Jul 19, 2014
Gris
"Worst experience of my life"
The cabins are 2 m square and there is no top wall, you hear 50 other people's cell phones, snorwing at 3 am , pay more and go to a better place
1 night trip Jul 19, 2014
Gonenc
"Unique Experience!"
I'm so glad I stayed here! Also glad that I carefully read reviews so that I was perfectly prepared for what to expect: beyond-tiny rooms and smaller-than-standard beds, but updated bathrooms with wonderful showers, exceptional staff, and beautiful rooftop/lobby lounge areas. Very worth it for the price and unique experience. Doubtful you'll find anything else quite like this in the US.
Other trip Jul 16, 2014
jean
"Staff is great"
All is well
23 night trip Jun 16, 2014
Valia patterson
"Bowery House at Lower East Manhattan"
My only mistake was to confuse the Bowery house with the Bowery hotel. The Bowery hotel is a great location to stay in but the Bowery house on the other hand is not.This mix up is common and the Bowery house takes precautions to keep unhappy customers money by having a strict no refund policy. The rooms in the Bowery house are 6ftx3ftx7ft room made from cardboard. You can hear every movement made by people in neighboring or adjacent rooms. The hotel lobby and rooms smelled heavily of cheap whiskey. There is only one communal shower and toilet on every floor which causes a lot of lost time due to queuing to use the facilities. Unfortunately I had already booked 3 nights with them so l had to switch hotels without getting a refund. I moved to the Ramada which had the same price, better location, and to a large extent better facilities than the Bowery House. Bowery house is located in an ominous neighborhood and l honestly would never set foot there again.
Prince
"It is worthy of its location"
It is well maintained hotel, room(or canbin) is too small even I have expectation of that. It is just a size of two twin bed. Most annoying thing is that there are way too many homeless people outside hotel on the bowery road, hotel stuff tell me they not gonna do anything, but I still feel unconfortable. Next time New York I would pay more for a more comfort room,
1 night trip Jun 27, 2014
Wayne
"Lovely location"
The rooms were very small but for the price and location in nyc, it's a great deal. . . . staff is attentive. . .bathrooms, for the most part, very clean. . . and most important to me, I felt safe there and felt that my belongings were safe while I was out and about
3 night business trip Jun 21, 2014
"Great price for area, but TINY room!"
The room and bed are both very, very small. I am 5'2 1'2" and my feet hung off the edge of the bed. But is was the only place in Manhattan that I could find for under $100... So good price for the location as long as you don't mind sleeping in a closet.
3 night trip Jun 11, 2014
Kat
"Waaaay outside of my comfort zone"
I have always stayed in large hotels when traveling, so the Bowery house was a new experience for me. I was a little uncomfortable but the stay there was great. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The place was small but very clean and pretty quiet for the most part. I loved hanging on the roof top taking in the sights. I would recommend this place to others and I would stay there again.
2 night trip with friends Jun 6, 2014
"Steerage on the Titanic"
The Bowery House is a lovely hostel in a fantastic location and you gain cool points for staying there. Everything from the stairs leading up to check in to the lobby to the furnishings has elegant simplicity and creates a luxuriously chill vibe. The cabins are exactly that, cabins. Thankfully they have a lattice ceiling to ease the claustrophobia but you will hear EVERYTHING (earplugs are provided) and the hall light may shine in your eyes. If you are over 5'5" prepare to curl up because that's the length of the bed. 4X6 is my best guess on the cabin's dimensions (It looked bigger online) That said, Tuesday through Thursday it was a fantastic place to crash after the whirlwind of NYC activities. The bathrooms are clean, showers hot, and the soaps smell delicious. Friday, your bed might as well be in the middle of the dance floor of the club below and you might hear some crazy monkey sex in another cabin, but hey, it's Friday night, in a hostel, in NYC, go along for the ride!
Other trip Jun 8, 2014
"Disappointing"
I have stayed here several times, and am well aware of the small rooms and shared community spaces. I typically enjoy my stay- the location is really convenient, and you can't beat the price for NY hotels. However, this trip I was disappointed by the service at check in. I didn't feel welcome, and was not treated well by the front desk person. There was also a much larger homeless population on the sidewalk out front than what I remember from past trips. Because of the poor customer service, I will likely try other options before staying here again.
6 night trip May 24, 2014
Miranda
"OMG"
What an experience! I knew I was paying $100 per night for a place in Manhattan, but I at the very least expected a room and a bed. What I got was a small storage sized space with a "twin" bed that was approximate 4'10" long in a room that was 5' long. Needless to say, my 5'10" self could not fit and I spent about 30 minutes trying to manage myself until I gave up and checked out. Was supposed to stay to nights, but wound up eating the cost of the first night and booking a new place through another hotel sight. I hated the entire stay.
2 night business trip May 28, 2014
"Not bad for the money"
Hotel was clean and well kept, but rooms were very tiny.
1 night trip May 29, 2014
"Soho hostel"
It is as expected...cabins are little storage units that you sleep in, wouldn't be too bad if the other guests weren't so noisy in the morning...they do supply ear plugs, so that is good...very clean. Beds are twins and are kind of short for 6' or taller folks...
Other trip May 27, 2014
"Nice hostil"
You get a small room with a nightstand. It's very clean. The rooms have no ceilings so you can hear everything the your neighbors do. There's a sense of community in that people try to he quiet. Red Flower brand amenities in the shared bathroom, this is a big plus!
Other trip May 15, 2014
"It's a room, it's clean."
If you pay $100 for a room in NYC, you need to lower your expectations. But know that the place is clean and you can sleep there. If you get a cabin, it's 4'x6' and the bed and nightstand take up almost all of that space. The ceiling is garden lattice so you'll hear pretty much everything in the other cabins. The Bowery is convenient to Chinatown, Little Italy, and Lower East Side. They were accommodating about letting me check in early and grabbing a quick nap.
1 night business trip May 10, 2014
"Unique experience and strange movie atmosphere..."
Very good as experiment being used to more comfortable and stars hotels, and the neighborhood is very NY style like I was expecting, Soho, Little Italy and Chinatown. Metro station Prince St is close by walk and Brooklyn Bridge too and the Harbor too with an amazing view on upper Manhattan. The roof of the Hotel with it`s view is priceless and authentic of the area, I always take breakfast en dinner there to enjoy sunset and sunrise. Only the last day I asked to be waked the next morning at 7 am because I lost my phone and didn`t have an alarm, but no one come to my room to wake me up and I was late to the airport. But as a whole I liked the experience, despite some noisy people and the guy who works on the reception desk and is never smiling to me, I hope it was not because I am foreigner hahaha
Other trip May 12, 2014
Reda
"cheap and close to webster hall"
TL;DR - knowing it is a hostel, 8/10. Will definitely be returning, hopefully with friends. POSITIVES - charming themed hostel, immaculate premises, friendly staff, free wi-fi, reasonably priced snack foods, sweet Italian marble bathrooms, security checks after dark, rooftop garden / lounge area, hip neighborhood, CLOSE TO WEBSTER HALL and most importantly: a cute, affordable hostel that provides a clean, quality service. NEGATIVES - open ceilings, light sleepers beware. They do provide free earplugs, so that kinda cancels out I guess. Girls have to walk downstairs to the bathroom. But thats basically it for negatives.
1 night trip May 6, 2014
"Gotta love it."
It's not for the faint of heart. But if you've ever backpacked around the world, this would compare to the coolest hostel ever. The staff was phenomenal. Definitely would return.
1 night trip May 5, 2014
Liza
"Great price for a one or two nights stay"
Get a room far away from the bathroom, it's much better to sleep that way.
1 night trip Apr 30, 2014
This is probably one of the most unique hotels I've ever stayed in. I shared the room with my boyfriend. Upon walking in, the "cabin" is really small. There was a full-sized bed with two bathrobes and ear plugs on the mattress. There's a small lamp, a couple of coat hooks, no tv, no ceiling. Because there's no ceiling, you hear absolutely EVERYTHING. It's really noisy, but that's what the earplugs are for. The women's bathroom is on the 3rd floor, which is really inconvenient, especially when you have to walk downstairs in your pajamas in the middle of the night in front of everyone that's in the lobby. The bathrooms and rooms were clean. I only stayed one night, so this hotel was fine. I think at most I would stay two nights only.
1 night trip Apr 19, 2014
"On the Cheap"
Ok if you are open to the hostel experience. I was lucky in that there were no disrespectful guests on the nights I stayed there(except in the mornings). What I can say is be prepared to awake when everyone else does, I woke up at 7:30 to the slamming of doors, cell phones going off and media players blaring, and lines at the communal bathrooms. Much cheaper than a traditional hotel, but with costs in terms of privacy.
Other trip Apr 20, 2014
marc
"You get what you pay for"
I knew exactly what I was likely to find at this hotel, so was not disappointed as some others report. This is Manhatten - if you want a private room with bath, big bed, etc - its going to cost you $250/night. I even looked at AirBnB - the price for just a futon on a wooden platform is the same price. At 5'11" I just barely fit in the bed (and walls!). I tried to get to sleep early in the evening, but due to the open lattice structure it was a bit noisy and since I was unuse to it, it took a while. There is a small sundries shop and vending machine in the lobby. I saw both men and women their, and the guy in front of me checking out had a suit on. I stayed at the Jane Hotel, in a bare room sharing a bathroom, it was nicer, but it cost $50 more per night.
1 night business trip Apr 14, 2014
David H
"nice cheap option"
beds and room are tiny! very clean, nice bathrooms, hot showers, nice common room. free wi-fi. good location
2 night trip Apr 11, 2014
"NOT A HOTEL"
This is not a hotel. It's just a room with a bed. They should not be on Hotels.com
1 night trip Mar 29, 2014
"Cozy, in every sense of the word"
Good for a long weekend in NYC. Great staff, relatively clean baths, and the neighborhood is great. Wish the rooms were bigger but hey, it's Manhattan. Would do business with again
3 night business trip Apr 3, 2014
Aristo
"Why not!.. it's decent"
for under eighty bucks a night, you probably couldn't do better.
1 night trip Apr 1, 2014
JP
"a very good bargain"
Very pleasant hotel employees. Very acceptable and confortable little apartment with kitchen. In fact much more than I needed (emergency overnight accommodation).Don't let the location turn you off! True, the hotel is in a not-too-interesting spot BUT walk 1 block to Spring Street and it's full of interesting little restaurants and shops. A hidden little jewel.
1 night trip Mar 24, 2014
"Right in the City."
Rooms are small but if all you need is a place for your stuff then this is what you need. The place is very clean. Feels like a high school or college/boarding house. The walls are very thin, you hear everything and everyone around you. No real sense of privacy. Not really a place for obese people.
Other trip Mar 25, 2014
Art
"Great for what it was"
The staff was extremely nice and helpful. The bathrooms and shower areas were well kept and very clean. The overall atmosphere was excellent. and the location was fantastic... The rooms were more like cubicles four walls raised and covered atop by garden lattices. The bed was tiny and would have to be to fit in such a small space. You could literally hold your arms open and touch each wall. But it was a place to sleep for the night and served my purpose well. I recommend it if you do not want to spend any time in your room but only use it as a place to sleep while you venture out into exciting New York
Other trip Mar 25, 2014
"Everything as expected, no surprises."
I read a lot of reviews and I was prepared for worse. People should notice that this is a Hostel not an Hotel, I had a lot of fun in the lobby sharing experiences with people from different countries, you can have drinks or bring your own beer and enjoy making new friends. I slep in the pepper bunk cabin and this room is really crazy, you don't know what people you will know. If you are going to stay at this hostel, be sure to be polite and do NOT slam doors, this is rude and disrespectful to the other guests. Be aware that you have to pay a $50 deposit with Credit Card only on your check-in just in case you break something. So far this was a good experience and I will stay here on my next visit to New York.
Other trip Mar 14, 2014
Christian
"Pretty Decent Actually"
The WiFi wouldn't connect, Google Chrome kept saying the network was untrusted and wouldn't allow me to connect. Aside from that everything was pretty decent. Only suggestions are to get up before everyone and shower to have more than a couple minutes of hot water. Location is near Subways and easy access to SoHo if you like shopping. New Museum is like a 1 minute walk also. Another suggestion is to watch out for the people across the street during the day. There's a shelter or something over there and the people are sketchy. So avoid them and you're good. No problems during the night though.
2 night business trip Feb 11, 2014
"Great location for great price"
Do your research before booking this place. Make sure shared bathrooms and the hostel culture are for you. If so, this place is great. We honeymooned here (stayed in the Prince Room for privacy and a bed we could share). It allowed us to see New York on a tight budget. Don't stay here if you're expecting a hotel--stay here for the friendly people and great location. Only thing that could be improved is the wifi signal in the Prince Room (spotty at best), but very fast wifi in the common room. We had a great experience and can't wait to visit the city again.
Other trip Feb 3, 2014
M.
"Great place to stay on a budget!"
Awesome neighborhood, very attentive staff....and gorgeous to boot :) would recommend to anyone visiting New York or interested in staying in a real neighborhood with authentic character. Clean and the facilities are more than expected for a hostel. Head to the spring market or whole foods for delicious and inexpensive food anytime. Many trains are accessible from here, taking you anywhere in the 5 boroughs. Local bars are a bit pricey so walk ovee to Houston and 1st , One and One is great and other bars in the East Village are more reasonable than if you head west, trust me....I lived there :) Peace. -Eric Roberts
1 night business trip Jan 22, 2014
a
"JUST PERFECT FOR A ONE-NIGHT STAY"
I absolutely loved my stay at the Bowery House. It was like stepping out of 2014 and into 1945, it was amazing!!
1 night trip Jan 15, 2014
"Don't stay if you want to sleep"
First, the good thing - the location is great and it was clean. Now everything else: it's a far stretch to call this a hotel and it's even difficult to call it a hostel (I've stayed in YMCAs in Harlem and Greenpoint). This is more like a chicken coop decorated with fancy lightings and shower heads - not worth the money. This is one large space partitioned with very thin divider walls that don't even go all the way to the ceiling - I could hear a guy's coughing fit as if he was right next to me. It was IMPOSSIBLE TO SLEEP - the complimentary ear plugs didn't help at all with the low frequency thumping music from downstairs that lasted until 4AM. You can literally hear everybody's snoring, scratching and talking. I'm talking about a lot of people in the room not 10 or 20. I will NEVER STAY here again. Also their customer service is horrible. They charged a wrong credit card and I called several times to rectify the situation that ended up in answering machine every single time. I left a message via their website - ZERO response so far. The bottom line is, don't stay there if you want any sleep.
1 night trip Dec 7, 2013
B Han
"Fancy dog house"
Rooms are very small. I'm 6'1" and I couldn't strech out in the room. Its very noizy as rooms have no individual roof, so they give you earplugs. Will never come back to this hotel again.
Other trip Jan 4, 2014
"Only if its last minute and desperate"
So. Plans had to change and ended up finding this place on Expedia for cheap. Only positive thing I can say about it. I'm 5'8 my feet were hanging off the bed, my buddy decided to take the floor because his feet were hanging out into the hallway. The "roof" was a lattice. Did not feel comfortable at all leaving my stuff because the roof could have also been just another door. If its last minute, sure, the bathroom is shared which is already a red flag but if you don't mind, it's not that bad.
Other trip Jan 3, 2014
"Horrible rooms, awful noise"
The title speaks it all. DO NOT book this hotel. With the consition, it should be $20/night, NOT $100/night. I live in NYC, I know.
2 night trip Dec 21, 2013
SFK
"Low Budget - Well Worth It"
If you need a place to sleep in Manhattan, the Bowery House is an affordable option. Located in the heart of the Bowery, the Bowery House offers rooms with beds. You only need a place to sleep, right? Why spend the money on all the extra stuff. Get around the city. The hotel was very clean. The rooms are small - about six feet by five feet. I paid the extra couple of bucks for a windowed room, which was worth it because the room got very warm with the steam heat, and I needed some ventilation. There were ear plugs on my pillow, which made me nervous, but there was no need to use them. The shared bathroom and showers are newly remodeled and very clean. I noticed women staying at the Bowery House, but couldn't see where there was a woman's bathroom and shower room... I'm assuming there must be. There were only two things I didn't like... #1 My room was on the 3rd floor, and there's no elevator. #2 Room 426 (my room) had a sketchy lock on it. Someone could have easily gotten into my room with a credit card. That was the only room that appeared to have a problem with the lock.
4 night trip with friends Dec 12, 2013