All hotels in New York, New York, United States of America
You can collect Welcome Rewards® nights here220 Bowery, New York, NY, 10012, United States of America, ‏‎800-491-6126

2.5
"Soho hostel"
It is as expected...cabins are little storage units that you sleep in, wouldn't be too bad if the other guests weren't so noisy in the morning...they do supply ear plugs, so that is good...very clean. Beds are twins and are kind of short for 6' or taller folks...
Other trip May 27, 2014
"Nice hostil"
You get a small room with a nightstand. It's very clean. The rooms have no ceilings so you can hear everything the your neighbors do. There's a sense of community in that people try to he quiet. Red Flower brand amenities in the shared bathroom, this is a big plus!
Other trip May 15, 2014
"It's a room, it's clean."
If you pay $100 for a room in NYC, you need to lower your expectations. But know that the place is clean and you can sleep there. If you get a cabin, it's 4'x6' and the bed and nightstand take up almost all of that space. The ceiling is garden lattice so you'll hear pretty much everything in the other cabins. The Bowery is convenient to Chinatown, Little Italy, and Lower East Side. They were accommodating about letting me check in early and grabbing a quick nap.
1 night business trip May 10, 2014
"Unique experience and strange movie atmosphere..."
Very good as experiment being used to more comfortable and stars hotels, and the neighborhood is very NY style like I was expecting, Soho, Little Italy and Chinatown. Metro station Prince St is close by walk and Brooklyn Bridge too and the Harbor too with an amazing view on upper Manhattan. The roof of the Hotel with it`s view is priceless and authentic of the area, I always take breakfast en dinner there to enjoy sunset and sunrise. Only the last day I asked to be waked the next morning at 7 am because I lost my phone and didn`t have an alarm, but no one come to my room to wake me up and I was late to the airport. But as a whole I liked the experience, despite some noisy people and the guy who works on the reception desk and is never smiling to me, I hope it was not because I am foreigner hahaha
Other trip May 12, 2014
Reda
"cheap and close to webster hall"
TL;DR - knowing it is a hostel, 8/10. Will definitely be returning, hopefully with friends. POSITIVES - charming themed hostel, immaculate premises, friendly staff, free wi-fi, reasonably priced snack foods, sweet Italian marble bathrooms, security checks after dark, rooftop garden / lounge area, hip neighborhood, CLOSE TO WEBSTER HALL and most importantly: a cute, affordable hostel that provides a clean, quality service. NEGATIVES - open ceilings, light sleepers beware. They do provide free earplugs, so that kinda cancels out I guess. Girls have to walk downstairs to the bathroom. But thats basically it for negatives.
1 night trip May 6, 2014
"Gotta love it."
It's not for the faint of heart. But if you've ever backpacked around the world, this would compare to the coolest hostel ever. The staff was phenomenal. Definitely would return.
1 night trip May 5, 2014
Liza
"Great price for a one or two nights stay"
Get a room far away from the bathroom, it's much better to sleep that way.
1 night trip Apr 30, 2014
This is probably one of the most unique hotels I've ever stayed in. I shared the room with my boyfriend. Upon walking in, the "cabin" is really small. There was a full-sized bed with two bathrobes and ear plugs on the mattress. There's a small lamp, a couple of coat hooks, no tv, no ceiling. Because there's no ceiling, you hear absolutely EVERYTHING. It's really noisy, but that's what the earplugs are for. The women's bathroom is on the 3rd floor, which is really inconvenient, especially when you have to walk downstairs in your pajamas in the middle of the night in front of everyone that's in the lobby. The bathrooms and rooms were clean. I only stayed one night, so this hotel was fine. I think at most I would stay two nights only.
1 night trip Apr 19, 2014
"On the Cheap"
Ok if you are open to the hostel experience. I was lucky in that there were no disrespectful guests on the nights I stayed there(except in the mornings). What I can say is be prepared to awake when everyone else does, I woke up at 7:30 to the slamming of doors, cell phones going off and media players blaring, and lines at the communal bathrooms. Much cheaper than a traditional hotel, but with costs in terms of privacy.
Other trip Apr 20, 2014
marc
"You get what you pay for"
I knew exactly what I was likely to find at this hotel, so was not disappointed as some others report. This is Manhatten - if you want a private room with bath, big bed, etc - its going to cost you $250/night. I even looked at AirBnB - the price for just a futon on a wooden platform is the same price. At 5'11" I just barely fit in the bed (and walls!). I tried to get to sleep early in the evening, but due to the open lattice structure it was a bit noisy and since I was unuse to it, it took a while. There is a small sundries shop and vending machine in the lobby. I saw both men and women their, and the guy in front of me checking out had a suit on. I stayed at the Jane Hotel, in a bare room sharing a bathroom, it was nicer, but it cost $50 more per night.
1 night business trip Apr 14, 2014
David H
"nice cheap option"
beds and room are tiny! very clean, nice bathrooms, hot showers, nice common room. free wi-fi. good location
2 night trip Apr 11, 2014
"NOT A HOTEL"
This is not a hotel. It's just a room with a bed. They should not be on Hotels.com
1 night trip Mar 29, 2014
"Cozy, in every sense of the word"
Good for a long weekend in NYC. Great staff, relatively clean baths, and the neighborhood is great. Wish the rooms were bigger but hey, it's Manhattan. Would do business with again
3 night business trip Apr 3, 2014
Aristo
"Why not!.. it's decent"
for under eighty bucks a night, you probably couldn't do better.
1 night trip Apr 1, 2014
JP
"a very good bargain"
Very pleasant hotel employees. Very acceptable and confortable little apartment with kitchen. In fact much more than I needed (emergency overnight accommodation).Don't let the location turn you off! True, the hotel is in a not-too-interesting spot BUT walk 1 block to Spring Street and it's full of interesting little restaurants and shops. A hidden little jewel.
1 night trip Mar 24, 2014
"Right in the City."
Rooms are small but if all you need is a place for your stuff then this is what you need. The place is very clean. Feels like a high school or college/boarding house. The walls are very thin, you hear everything and everyone around you. No real sense of privacy. Not really a place for obese people.
Other trip Mar 25, 2014
Art
"Great for what it was"
The staff was extremely nice and helpful. The bathrooms and shower areas were well kept and very clean. The overall atmosphere was excellent. and the location was fantastic... The rooms were more like cubicles four walls raised and covered atop by garden lattices. The bed was tiny and would have to be to fit in such a small space. You could literally hold your arms open and touch each wall. But it was a place to sleep for the night and served my purpose well. I recommend it if you do not want to spend any time in your room but only use it as a place to sleep while you venture out into exciting New York
Other trip Mar 25, 2014
"Everything as expected, no surprises."
I read a lot of reviews and I was prepared for worse. People should notice that this is a Hostel not an Hotel, I had a lot of fun in the lobby sharing experiences with people from different countries, you can have drinks or bring your own beer and enjoy making new friends. I slep in the pepper bunk cabin and this room is really crazy, you don't know what people you will know. If you are going to stay at this hostel, be sure to be polite and do NOT slam doors, this is rude and disrespectful to the other guests. Be aware that you have to pay a $50 deposit with Credit Card only on your check-in just in case you break something. So far this was a good experience and I will stay here on my next visit to New York.
Other trip Mar 14, 2014
Christian
"Pretty Decent Actually"
The WiFi wouldn't connect, Google Chrome kept saying the network was untrusted and wouldn't allow me to connect. Aside from that everything was pretty decent. Only suggestions are to get up before everyone and shower to have more than a couple minutes of hot water. Location is near Subways and easy access to SoHo if you like shopping. New Museum is like a 1 minute walk also. Another suggestion is to watch out for the people across the street during the day. There's a shelter or something over there and the people are sketchy. So avoid them and you're good. No problems during the night though.
2 night business trip Feb 11, 2014
"Great location for great price"
Do your research before booking this place. Make sure shared bathrooms and the hostel culture are for you. If so, this place is great. We honeymooned here (stayed in the Prince Room for privacy and a bed we could share). It allowed us to see New York on a tight budget. Don't stay here if you're expecting a hotel--stay here for the friendly people and great location. Only thing that could be improved is the wifi signal in the Prince Room (spotty at best), but very fast wifi in the common room. We had a great experience and can't wait to visit the city again.
Other trip Feb 3, 2014
M.
"Great place to stay on a budget!"
Awesome neighborhood, very attentive staff....and gorgeous to boot :) would recommend to anyone visiting New York or interested in staying in a real neighborhood with authentic character. Clean and the facilities are more than expected for a hostel. Head to the spring market or whole foods for delicious and inexpensive food anytime. Many trains are accessible from here, taking you anywhere in the 5 boroughs. Local bars are a bit pricey so walk ovee to Houston and 1st , One and One is great and other bars in the East Village are more reasonable than if you head west, trust me....I lived there :) Peace. -Eric Roberts
1 night business trip Jan 22, 2014
a
"JUST PERFECT FOR A ONE-NIGHT STAY"
I absolutely loved my stay at the Bowery House. It was like stepping out of 2014 and into 1945, it was amazing!!
1 night trip Jan 15, 2014
"Don't stay if you want to sleep"
First, the good thing - the location is great and it was clean. Now everything else: it's a far stretch to call this a hotel and it's even difficult to call it a hostel (I've stayed in YMCAs in Harlem and Greenpoint). This is more like a chicken coop decorated with fancy lightings and shower heads - not worth the money. This is one large space partitioned with very thin divider walls that don't even go all the way to the ceiling - I could hear a guy's coughing fit as if he was right next to me. It was IMPOSSIBLE TO SLEEP - the complimentary ear plugs didn't help at all with the low frequency thumping music from downstairs that lasted until 4AM. You can literally hear everybody's snoring, scratching and talking. I'm talking about a lot of people in the room not 10 or 20. I will NEVER STAY here again. Also their customer service is horrible. They charged a wrong credit card and I called several times to rectify the situation that ended up in answering machine every single time. I left a message via their website - ZERO response so far. The bottom line is, don't stay there if you want any sleep.
1 night trip Dec 7, 2013
B Han
"Fancy dog house"
Rooms are very small. I'm 6'1" and I couldn't strech out in the room. Its very noizy as rooms have no individual roof, so they give you earplugs. Will never come back to this hotel again.
Other trip Jan 4, 2014
"Only if its last minute and desperate"
So. Plans had to change and ended up finding this place on Expedia for cheap. Only positive thing I can say about it. I'm 5'8 my feet were hanging off the bed, my buddy decided to take the floor because his feet were hanging out into the hallway. The "roof" was a lattice. Did not feel comfortable at all leaving my stuff because the roof could have also been just another door. If its last minute, sure, the bathroom is shared which is already a red flag but if you don't mind, it's not that bad.
Other trip Jan 3, 2014
"Horrible rooms, awful noise"
The title speaks it all. DO NOT book this hotel. With the consition, it should be $20/night, NOT $100/night. I live in NYC, I know.
2 night trip Dec 21, 2013
SFK
"Low Budget - Well Worth It"
If you need a place to sleep in Manhattan, the Bowery House is an affordable option. Located in the heart of the Bowery, the Bowery House offers rooms with beds. You only need a place to sleep, right? Why spend the money on all the extra stuff. Get around the city. The hotel was very clean. The rooms are small - about six feet by five feet. I paid the extra couple of bucks for a windowed room, which was worth it because the room got very warm with the steam heat, and I needed some ventilation. There were ear plugs on my pillow, which made me nervous, but there was no need to use them. The shared bathroom and showers are newly remodeled and very clean. I noticed women staying at the Bowery House, but couldn't see where there was a woman's bathroom and shower room... I'm assuming there must be. There were only two things I didn't like... #1 My room was on the 3rd floor, and there's no elevator. #2 Room 426 (my room) had a sketchy lock on it. Someone could have easily gotten into my room with a credit card. That was the only room that appeared to have a problem with the lock.
4 night trip with friends Dec 12, 2013
Tim Lingenfelder
"cheap but not worth it"
I wouldn't call this place a hotel. My room was just slightly bigger than a coffin. Zero sound proofing. I could even hear the guy next room snore. I just got one towel for my 3 day stay. The hotel didn't change sheets. No cleanup of the room. You get warm water in the shower for exactly 1 minute. I could go on.. like I said its cheap.. but not worth it.
3 night business trip Dec 9, 2013
vijay
"budget hostel"
Upon arrival, the room had not been changed (even though it was several hours after check-in time), and it took a good 1/2 hour - 45 minutes to get it fixed. After that bad first impression, however the Bowery House was an OK place to stay - I was fortunate to get a corner 'cabin' with windows. Very much a budget hostel, with virtually no amenities, but the bathrooms were clean and it was fine for a few nights in NYC.
2 night business trip Dec 4, 2013
"The city that never sleeps, and you won't either!"
Here is the thing. If you are young and adventurous and in town for only one or two nights, this place would be fine but you should know that it is not the most comfortable place to stay and sleep. Bowery House is as barebones as you can get. The "rooms" are approximately the size of parking spots- with just ano ugh room for a bed... And that's it. The walls are thin and the ceiling is basically open to a cavernous loft. I couldn't count but I would estimate that there are at least 75 of these small rooms per floor. There is also one communal bathroom with 3 shower stalls and 3 toilets. This was all fine in a pinch- for someone like me who needed a place to "be" in NYC between the hours of 2am and 7 am but if you are there on vacation you might want consider other options. Still with that said... You can't beat the price and location.
1 night trip Dec 4, 2013
JS
"Tiny Rooms but didn't matter"
The Bowery House has a great staff. Everyone is young and helpful and does there job. The place was clean and in great shape. I could literally touch all 4 walls of my room at the same time, its so small. And there's no ceiling between you and the next rooms over so you can hear people snore. All in all, a great place to stay for cheap.
3 night trip Nov 28, 2013
"Rude staff"
I would not recommend this hostel for anyone. My room was clean, and the location good, but that is the only positive thing about this hostel. The staff was extremely rude, and it was totally impossible to sleep in my room: firstly it was terribly cold, and secondly it was very loud. The hostel staff asked to try to be quiet when I checked in (listen to music only with your own headphones etc) but they were the ones who were making a lot of noise in the reception so that I could not sleep. The hostel was already very expensive, but I also had to pay 10 dollars for keeping my luggage there for a few hours after I checked out - ridiculous! This hostel would have been ok, if it was 50% cheaper. Overall I was very disappointed, and annoyed that I could have stayed somewhere a lot nicer for cheaper price.
3 night trip Nov 9, 2013
"Lovely staff, miniature room"
The staff was extremely friendly. The (shared) bathrooms were very clean as was the shower. the rooms, however, were absolutely tiny tiny tiny. There is room for a small twin bed and an overhead light and there is no ceiling. Instead, a lattice covers all the rooms. I think the rooms were 8 by 11.
Other trip Nov 4, 2013
"Clean and stylish"
I'd have sacrificed my window for a room on the same floor as the bathrooms (I had to go down one flight), but otherwise this was a good deal. Very small rooms/beds, but clean, quality amenities, helpful staff, near nice restaurants in Little Italy and subway station to midtown. Insert your earplugs correctly and you should be fine.
1 night trip Oct 23, 2013
"A surprising delight!"
The Bowery House is a surprising delight! Small but compact and its historical setting offers a wonderful sleeping arrangement.
2 night trip Oct 9, 2013
"Expedia did not send my confirmation to the hotel"
My reservation did not reach the hotel. Had to wait a few hrs. Never happened to me before, first time I use Expedia
Other trip Oct 15, 2013
"Nice hostel, comfortable and clean."
I've been in the hostel for three nights. It's very comfortable, clean. The staff is always available. I recommend it to students.
Other trip Oct 9, 2013
"Stylish for a hostel, too small to be a hotel"
Room was extraordinarily small, at 5'10 I couldn't lay in the bed without bending my knees, but I could touch all four walls at the same time. For the unaware (like me) a "cabin" is a 5ft x 6ft open-top tall cubicle of sorts. There were a dozen or so across an open floor. This means, when someone rolls over 4 cabins down, you hear it. If they turn on their reading light, lights up the whole space. When the front door (3 floors down) slams at 2:30, 3:00 and 4am you really, really hear it.The lobby and common areas interior is nicely decorated, stylish and appears to be newly renovated. There were partial "vacate room" notices on the door pertaining to a couple rooms, but everywhere seemed very clean.The staff was friendly and helpful. The entire area is gentrifying, late night walking is much safer than it first looks, still bit of a hike when going uptown. Access to the Village, Little Italy and LES is pretty good.
2 night business trip Oct 4, 2013
"Good for a budget if your ex-army"
It was a bed for a few nights, open dorm effect Inseparate tiny cabins, need air plugs as some guests inconsiderate at night and talk loud in confines of dorm area. so if you are ex military like me you are used to this. It was good for money compared to other NY alternatives and location suited me. No lift so if you have heavy luggage, not ideal to carry up 3 flights of stairs.
4 night business trip Sep 26, 2013
John G
"The complimentary earplugs made it okay"
it's a cheap place to stay in the east village so I can't complain. Better than a regular hostel because of the privacy of each cabin. Very noisy but there were earplugs on my pillow. TIP: Request a cabin on the same floor as your bathroom. I hated having to walk the maze of cabins/stairs to get to the bathroom.
1 night trip Oct 1, 2013
"Good location, but comfort isn't happening"
It's cheap, but you'd expect at least a regular sized twin bed. Mine was short in a room that measured 6 ft by 4 ft. It's noisy, and while they supply earplugs, that didn't help. If you're young and need a crash pad, this is the place. But others are well worth $20 to $30 more easily.
2 night trip Sep 29, 2013
Michael S
It was comfortable sleep with the ear plugs and I had a great shower in the morning.
1 night trip Sep 27, 2013
"Nice for price"
Needed last minute place to stay and was surprised by overall place. For the price was more than a bargain and really nice place to stay
Other trip Sep 2, 2013
TR
"Nice Location right next to SoHo AND Little Italy"
It was a convienient location to stay. I was able to travel around solo to many places, The room was so small, and it was not closed off from everyone else. I would like a room with more privacy. The staff were very helpful towards me, warming as well. Overall it was ok to stay there.
Other trip Aug 29, 2013
"Cheap for single person that needs private room"
noisy and smelling because of sharing roof. the front desk is very friendly.
Other trip Aug 26, 2013
"Basic but affordable"
Very affordable for Manhattan, I found my cabin was clean and perfectly adequate for sleeping and lying around. Be warned however that the individual cabins have very little space and you can hear everything the people in the cabins near you do, so if you need a bit of room and/or are a light sleeper, you may want to reconsider whether this place is for you. In other notes: Pros: Friendly and helpful staff, subway station just a few minutes walk away, Cons: Local area a little run-down, Overall, I found the Bowery House fine for my needs and would definitely consider using it again if I return to New York.
Other trip Aug 24, 2013
"Great for Father-Son Vacation"
The Bowery House was the perfect hotel for a New York/Manhattan vacation. My son and I were allowed to drop off our bags about 10am while we took in some lower Manhattan sites. Then we checked in about 6pm. Our cabin was clean and comfortable. The shared showers exceed our expectations, the staff was very courteous -- overall, we highly recommend it for a comfortable, clean, safe place to spend a night or two.
1 night family trip Aug 16, 2013
Stephen
"Good price"
I'm 6 ft tall...I slept head touching one wall, feet touching the other, but for the money I'm not complaining It was simply my first time in those conditions I'd go back. Just don't plan on bringin a date home with you.
Other trip Aug 19, 2013
geoff
"good choice for a weekend in NYC"
Excellent location. If you need a hostel just to have a shower and sleep after exploring New York it is a good choice. The rooms are extremely small, basically it is a cubicle not a real room, there is space only for the bed and your luggage (true) and can be noisy sometimes. Internet is fast and reliable. Restrooms are very clean. Staff is helpful and polite but there is no breakfast or coffee.
Other trip Aug 18, 2013
It was NOT what I had expected! It was a box with a bed in open to ALL noise and people around me. In my cell I was given a towel and ear plugs!!! It was really more like a hostel than a HOTEL! The only good thing about it was that it was clean - but very low lighting as the room has NO cline/open to all the noise of people around you. They also take a $50 deposit for breakages but there was NOTHING in the Cell that I could have broken. It was good as I was stuck in NY and I did have a bed all at a cost of $100
1 night trip Jul 24, 2013