All hotels in Berlin, Germany
Johannisstr. 11, Berlin, BE, 10117, Germany, ‏‎800-491-6126

4.8
very friendly fun hostel to stay... perfect for young people
Other trip Oct 30, 2013

"pretty good"
Good area, hostel was fine - nothing bad about it but nothing great. Clean and tidy, good for a cheap hostel and close to town
2 night trip May 20, 2015
"some room card is not good"
i never forget the reception guy. He's really nice !
2 night trip May 18, 2015
HYUNGJUNE

"Bra ställe!"
Snygg design på hotellet! Ett av det bästa vandrarhem jag varit på hittills!
3 night trip Jul 22, 2015
Elin
SE
"alles wie erwartet"
Fürden Preis und das Erwartete vollkommen in Ordnung. Klassisches Hostel mit fairen Preisen und sauber.
2 night trip with friends May 29, 2015
Roland
CH
"Backpacker"
Perfekt für Alleinreisende
1 night trip May 6, 2015
DE
"Lage Top, Hotel nett, eher jugendlich."
Zimmer sind nett und groß, nicht unbedingt super-sauber. Die Flure und Zimmer sind relativ hellhörig. Man hört Schritte und die Duschen aus den Nachbarzimmern. Am Wochenende ist natürlich bis lang in die Nacht etwas los....
Other trip Dec 17, 2013
3 night trip with friends May 22, 2015
1 night trip with friends May 4, 2015

TripAdvisor reviews for Heart of Gold Hostel

"Unique hostel, aimed at serving customers well"
08/04/15 jeanjane112 Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
The guy working the desk when we checked in was very helpful.  The hostel has an excellent chill atmosphere. We booked a private double room with a shower inside.  As a couple, we usually stay at cheap hotels and wanted to have the privacy of a room,  but I've stayed in hostels before and enjoy meeting people in common areas.  It was weird having a shower and sink but no toilet in our room.  I guess the advantage is the shower takes longest and you don't have to wait for that. I expected one bathroom with lots of stalls like a college dorm,  but instead there were individual one-stall bathrooms up and down the hallways. (There may be different bathroom types elsewhere in the hostel.)  Common bathrooms are a bit smelly, probably due to frequent use. No AC, so we slept with the window open. The street was noisy early with construction and around 830 or 9, there was vacuuming in the hallways.  Overall I slept well, except for Saturday night.  It seemed to be neighbors,  not hostel guests,  that were loud. Perhaps ask for a room that faces the inside of the hostel,  not the street. Breakfast is simple and cheap at 4 euros. Offerings included: cereal, yogurt, bread, meats and cheese slices. Condiments include honey,  butter,  jelly, and Nutella. Coffee and tea are free all day. This is a great perk. In terms of the usual hostel topics: there is a relatively cheap bar, you will need to put your own bed sheets on, there is a nice common area (indoors and outdoors), bring your own toiletries as none are available, there is a guest fridge, towels are mismatched but fresh ones are available as needed, there is a deposit for your sheets/room key, no laundry machines available but the desk can give you directions to a nearby laundromat. This hostel is in close proximity to the Ramones Museum.  The neighborhood seems safe to me.
"Good independent hostel with character."
08/02/15 Z8264BOjamesm Worcestershire, United Kingdom
I have stayed at Heart of Gold 3 times now and each time I have been impressed. The rooms are clean and spacious and the bar area is a great place to spend an evening, although it was better when I went in December than in July as it was less crowded/ overheated. The location is great for accessing Berlin by foot and using the U-Bahn and S-Bahn. Staff are helpful and all speak English. Prices are not cheap (especially since breakfast is an extra €5) but are still ok for what you get. Overall would recommend.
"Fave hostel"
08/02/15 EleanorTennyson London, United Kingdom
One of my favourite hostels, the staff were helpful, the drinks were cheap. The bike rental at the hostel was a feature we utilised. We were all apprehensive staying in the 42 bed dorm but once there it didn't feel like you were sharing a room really, everything was clean and nice. Generally the vibe was nice.
"Cycling trip to Berlin"
07/30/15 rockerbiff Vancouver
I chose this hostel due to its theme more than anything. It was a little more expensive than others and it was worth it, service was excellent, friendly helpful staff. Could have done with a laundry service - bar is good with cheap eats and beer - breakfast was decent. The bike rentals were decent quality, not top quality but better than Amsterdam lol
"Good place for meeting people"
07/28/15 SurfnToad Uppsala, Sweden
Pros: Big social area with bar & easy to meet people, place is clean, trendy Cons: It get's very bright in the room in the morning due to insufficient cover of the large windows, and if you want to get in bed early you will hear noise from the bar.
"hostel "
07/27/15 Lily S
Bad: Rude and unhelpful staff, they close all doors and windows at night so the common area gets really hot, small rooms. Good: there is a patio, it's quite clean, pool table, good bar, cheap breakfast, okay wifi. I think you could find something that's way better for a cheaper price. Also if you want to cancel reservations you only get 10% back,
"Nice but needs more showers and lockers."
07/21/15 Sarah D
Great location, near to the U and S Bahns, supermarkets etc but basically in the shopping district. Price was amazing when we were there (in February). Comfy dorms and spacious. However I would have liked lockers in the rooms, I think it's such a basic thing that a hostel can offer which ensures peace of mind and ease. In fact I remember the guy at reception was stressed with the amount of people leaving valuables etc and requesting lockers in reception. Couldn't help but think it would make his life easier! Also, we were in a 6 bed dorm but on a floor with several other rooms and dorms. For this entire floor, there was one toilet and two bathrooms (each with one toilet and shower). Showers were soo good but there really weren't enough, I hated having to wait around in the morning. When you're travelling you just want to get up and go. But overall I enjoyed my stay, liked the breakfast and the vibe. Really recommend the walking tour from reception, a nice touch and a great way to get to know an interesting city.
"Great location!"
07/20/15 danicavassa Buenos Aires, Argentina
I chose this hostel for my first visit to Berlin and had a great experience. The location is the best part as you can walk around or easily access the S-Bahn and U-Bahn. Amenities are good, though I mostly stayed in for sleeping. It´s clean and not very noisy. Simple, but just what I wanted; I would come back.
"Great Location, Comfortable, and Clean!"
07/17/15 Erin H Millis, Massachusetts, United States
Overall the hostel was great! Positives: Rooms and facilities were clean, the bar downstairs was fun and a nice spot to hang out, and the location was very easily accessible. Negatives: Bathrooms are shared by many people and the floors get very wet in the shower stalls
"Hostile hostel"
07/14/15 Gavin B
When staying at the heart of gold with 3 friends we thought it was a friendly hostel at first, the receptionist greeted us and was very welcoming, over the next few days I noticed the service and staff were very slow and didn't really seem to be any help at all. They were particularly rude, on one incident we were waiting for the door of the hostel to be opened by the receptionist when we were rudely greeted by a caretaker/security worker. He proceeded to tell us how we were being watched by himself and his colleagues very closely and how we were very rude and inconsiderate for the other members of the hostel, he blamed us for a number of incidents that happened in the hostel which were completely unrelated to our stay, he even got out dorm wrong which meant there was a complete mix up. He came into our dorm three separate times that same day unexpectedly where he gave out to us for literally doing nothing, he made us all apologise for something we didn't do and threatened to call the police and kick us out. I was so happy when I left this place as that particular member of staff made me never want to return to that hostel ever again!