All hotels in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
5780 West Street, Halifax, NS, B3K 1H8, Canada, ‏‎800-491-6126

2.9
"Comfortable stay"
Nice stay and value for the money, but walls very thin. If you don't have a white noise app on your phone (or anything to drown out exterior noise), you will not sleep! Other than that, staff was very nice and helpful. Room was comfortable, location good for downtown.
4 night family trip Apr 25, 2015
jamie
Friendly and very helpful staff; simple but nice breakfast (no eggs or bacon but freshly cut fruit, yoghurt, pastries, ...); the small room was in good condition and clean, and the shower was pleasant
Other trip Oct 22, 2014
"Never stay here"
Do not stay here ever
2 night trip Jul 23, 2014
"To avoid"
1. Noise problems from 1st nigh to lastt: people talking in lobby all night; neighbors having late-night party nearby; hotel clients fighting, screaming, shouting, banging doors at 2 AM, Police called !!!!!!!!!! 2. No closet in room. 3. With all above negative points, it is way overpriced!! .
7 night trip Jun 25, 2014
We selected hotel because of its location close to downtown. We just wanted one night of stay. We did not have much interaction with staff. However, room beds were not in good shape. The headbard was broken and it used to make noice everytime I turn side.Washroom was very basic , there were some apparent temporary fixes. TV quality was basic with cords hanging . Breakfast was ok with rerasonable stuff. Interestly , there was mounted camera in the breakfast area.
1 night trip Apr 25, 2014
Recombinant
"Very affordable and nice Halifax option"
Easy to walk to downtown and the harbor. The staff was very friendly and the room was better than I expected. Free parking lot in the back was nice.
2 night trip Mar 21, 2014
Greg
It was great! We needed a place to sleep, and got more than what we expected. Staff was amazing and beds were comfortable.
Other trip Jan 7, 2014
"NOT FAR FROM WALKING DOWN TOWN"
The room was small not sure i would stay there again
1 night trip Jan 22, 2013
"good location, close to downtown"
The rooms are clean. No comments on the services, because we only stayed in a few hours. Hotel itself is old, the lubby is small, and only one computer for email checking. Guests have to line up for it. The hotel location is great, very close to downtown area. In general, it is OK.
1 night trip Oct 23, 2012
J. Wenzel
"Convenient location for sight-seeing"
The hotel is older and a little quirky because of that but we had a comfortable night and were very impressed by the local knowledge of the desk staff, and their happiness ot share that knowledge. Although stairs are part of the deal, we did have an offr from staff to help with baggage.
Trip with friends Oct 2, 2012
Jeanette
Not a bad spot to have a sleep
1 night trip Sep 15, 2012
Dunmo
"good stay for the money"
satisfied
2 night trip Aug 3, 2012
"convenient for us"
I liked the fact that she(my daughter) lived closeby. I found it to be in a good location for walking to town, Citadel Hill, restaurants, liquor store,etc. I found the room to be small,but very comfortable. I enjoyed having the decks to sit out on, as it was so hot and there was at least a breeze and some shade. I did find some of the neighborhood a bit run down and a few rough looking characters around , but we were never bothered by anyone. The desk manager was very helpful and polite. The breakfast was ok.
1 night family trip Jul 14, 2012
just an overnight visit

"Did not realize this is a hostel until checking in"
Overall a fine property, although I would label it more of a hostel than a hotel. Although I would stay there again, I would look at other hotels in similar price bracket before doing so.
2 night romance trip Jun 23, 2015
Leonard
"All you ever need at a reasonable price."
Very clean and friendly.
2 night business trip Feb 13, 2015
Edwin
"make the bed is more stable"
Everything is fine except the bed is not so comfortable because if we turn our body the bed gets lots noise.
5 night business trip Jun 13, 2015
Hai Yan
"Old and musty"
I knew what to expect from other reviews, and that was "a crabby cheap motel" but be and my boyfriend just needed a place to sleep really for one night. The checkin was horrible, the guy didn't even know where our room was, had us walking around the whole building until he realized. Then we entered the room and it had a horrible musty smell, even worst in the bathroom! The bathroom I didn't even want to use, very very old n needs major upgrades! The tv didn't work, and the bed was uncomfortable as like another review the mattress sinks in the middle. The sheets looked ok, but there was a black stain on it. Overall I slept, but I wouldn't like to stay here again. It's the cheapest in downtown Halifax, but it's also very expensive to pay $120 a night and feel uncomfortable.
1 night romance trip Jun 5, 2015
"Clean friendly great location"
The accommodation was great for the price. Staff very friendly and helpful.
3 night family trip May 13, 2015
Brenda
"STAY AWAY"
Remove this hotel from your web site!!!! Shower head doesn't spray, flush handle on toilet broken, sink cracked, one light bulb missing in bathroom, door frames broken and hanging loose, arm chair has broken arms, bed propped up with phone books to keep it from sagging, street noise very loud, noise within hotel sounds like a gym on upper floors. Staff didn't even ask if everything was okay - NEVER AGAIN - remove this hotel from your web site to avoid anyone else making this mistake!!!!
2 night business trip Apr 20, 2015
Grant
"Stay elswhere"
Looks nothing like the pictures. Gross place in a shoddy neighbourhood. Graffiti across the street on abandoned building. TV looked like the source was split between all rooms via splitter as it was snowy. Guy at the desk was creepy. Breakfast was toast or stale ceareal with watered down coffee in a room so cold my girlfriend went and got her winter jacket. Shower was too gross to get in so I skipped it altogether... Shampoo immediately gave my gf flaky dandruff. Beds had no give. Water damage on walls. Duck tape over air conditioner. I honestly could go on. It was too late to get another place, we left at 7:00 am. Never again.
1 night romance trip Apr 15, 2015
"would stay there again"
This quaint hotel is in an older neighbourhood. There are several interesting shops nearby. The liquor store is only a couple of blocks away . The deli across the street serves awesome food. The staff were willing to go out of their way to help with info, cabs. In our room it was difficult to regulate the heat. As we were there to watch curling we did not spend a lot of time in our room. We had great breakfasts to start our day
10 night trip with friends Mar 27, 2015
"Good value for location close to City Center"
Staff were friendly and accommodating. Our room was immaculate, comfortable bed, everything worked, except that the hot water took a long time. The Inn has a certain charm, with old things, antiques, memorabilia, but some might be put off because furniture etc. is well worn. If you have problems with stairs this would be difficult. no elevator. We were there during a blizzard, and it was helpful to have a microwave and frig. so we could pick up groceries and do our own meals. A problem for me was that the breakfast room was so cold that I had to wear my outdoor clothes all 3 mornings we were there. There were notices posted asking that people not take their food out of the breakfast room, so taking it to the room which would have been comfortably warm did not seem to be an option. The parking lot was very icy, but this was a problem all over Halifax at the time. Good price for a stay close to the City Centre, but I would prefer to pay more and be able to enjoy a comfortable leisurely breakfast, when that is included in the price.
3 night romance trip Mar 13, 2015
Lesley
"Frozen Stay"
I would not go back. The worst I have seen for a Canadian Hotel. It was a poor welcome. Took my money .Gave me a key, and no info on what was around the area. They offered nothing on trying to make it a good stay. The breakfast was freezing. No heat . Had to eat quickly and run to warm up. The rest of the days I wore my winter coat to eat breakfast which was in the basement. That is what everyone did. Pore elderly people who ate there. I am suppose to travel to Halifax next year but won't stay there. TV mounted on wall so it was hard to see. Had to lay crooked in the bed. Low dimmed lights. No coffee maker or kettle.What a disappointment.
5 night family trip Mar 11, 2015
Ken
"Nice room"
Good location,nice room and house equipment. Walk to pub street only 20 mins.
2 night romance trip Mar 13, 2015
xing
Great staff, clean rooms, comfortable beds, and we'll priced!
Other trip Mar 15, 2015
Mike Marino
"Great Location In the North End of Halifax"
Stayed two nights and it was an equal experience for the equal value. Lots of stairs if you like the workout. Wish there was onsite coffee/tea though either in the room or in the lobby.
Other trip Mar 14, 2015
Joyce
"would not recommend."
Horrible all around! Room was bitterly cold, not clean, etc.
Other trip Feb 18, 2015
"Garbage and junk hotel"
Plz plz never go there don't waste ur money this hotel is piece of crap worst hotel ever I saw in my life
Other trip Feb 18, 2015
umer
"Convenient location"
Overall a great experience, good location for what we were attending that evening.
Other trip Jan 28, 2015
We had a great time , our 3 rd aniv together , so our stay was special, the room and service were very impressive , we will be back again !
Other trip Jan 6, 2015
"Cosy and Quiet near downtown"
Room was cosy and quiet, the bed very comfy. Breakfast was your typical continental but could have benefited from a selection of fresh fruit. Only complaint is that the shower had to be run for nearly 5 minutes before the water was hot enough (we were on the top floor), once hot it was fine. All in all good value for the money.
1 night romance trip Dec 5, 2014
Stephen
"Great location at a fair price."
Stayed for two nights and had a great time. This is an older building but well maintained and in a great location close to downtown. The staff was friendly and accommodating. The bed was a bit saggy in the middle and the continental breakfast was pretty weak. I would stay there again.
2 night trip with friends Nov 28, 2014
"Pleasant surprise"
I've gotten used to staying in less luxurious surroundings so when I booked a room at the cheapest place in Halifax I was not expecting much. The staff are energetic and helpful, rooms are immaculately clean, downtown is only 20 minutes away on foot and there are some really good restaurants right in the neighborhood. No laundry facilities is kind of a bummer but there are 3 coin laundries around.
3 night trip Nov 4, 2014
Theo
"Not pleasant"
The front desk was very nice and the layout of the inn was friendly. However, when we first walked into the room we found that there is a very bad odour that makes us very uncomfortable, we had to open all the windows to give some air flow. The sleep was not very pleasant at night due to the smell of the room. In the morning people next door was banging on the doors and making very loud noises, my boyfriend and I barely slept during my two nights stay.
2 night romance trip Oct 25, 2014
"Comfortable sleep at the Commons Inn"
My daughter and I stayed here while she recieved treatment at the IWK. The Inn is charming in an unpolished sort of way... antiques, rooms with actual keys, bumps and scratches in the woodwork from years of use. The beds are incredibly comfortable! Much better than the few 4 star hotels we've stayed at recently. The price was right and about a 15 minute walk from the IWK. What I didn't like was no elevators, the very skimpy continental breakfast (but, then again, it was free), and the location. Just a little too close to the "bad" section of Halifax. Not in it, but close. Oh, and I did not like that the garbage bin was incredibly small.
2 night family trip Oct 22, 2014
melissa
"quality of service"
the service no friendly and not helpfully. Lots of difficulties into the hotel like laberintic lots of stairs.
1 night trip with friends Oct 17, 2014
"Just fair"
Able to specify 4 guests when booking and they tried to charge $10 each for the 3rd and 4th person. Hotel very dated but the beds were super comfortable.
Other trip Oct 19, 2014
"Halifax on the edge"
This hotel resides just on the edge of respectable, it is faded and needs a complete overall. Access is via stairs only no disabled access visible, reception untidy, no tea or coffee facilities in the room, bathroom small and cramped.
Other trip Oct 10, 2014
"good for the price"
This is a good buy for the price. Old building, close to downtown and cheap with free parking. not for somebody that is looking for 5 stars.
2 night trip with friends Oct 3, 2014
"At the Commons!"
The hotel reminded me very much of an English guest house. The staff were friendly and helpful and I did find the room clean. However in keeping with the English guest house theme, there is no elevator and so you haul your luggage up stairwells. Probably not the best of neighbourhoods however we had no problems. For what we paid and where the hotel is situated, I think it was good value.
1 night romance trip Sep 18, 2014
Stephen
"Small hotel"
Since there is no elevator, the gentleman at the front desk carried our luggage up the stairs for us. The room was clean if small. Breakfast was simple with good choices. Definitely not an accessible building for anyone who cannot do stairs.
Other trip Sep 30, 2014
S
"wonderful staff, great price for being on the peni"
The hotel is full of old bits of furniture and knick-knacks to give out an old timey feel. The rooms were clean and cozy, though there were little kinks like the shower being a bit rusty and lights not working. For the price though, you won't find a better deal near the downtown. Staff were very friendly and helpful. A great place to stay if you're not going for luxury.
5 night business trip Sep 23, 2014
"Average breakfast, broken bed"
Hotel needs decorating, new carpets, general update. Location was quite good, near a very good cafe. I would not stay there again.
Other trip Sep 27, 2014
Anna
"Great for the price."
One of the most comfortable beds I've ever slept in. The room was top-notch clean. The only downside is the surrounding neighbourhood.
1 night trip Sep 22, 2014
Roy
It was okay. I spent 6 nights and 5 days and not once did my room get vaccumed or my bathroom cleaned. Just got new towels, empty garbage and fresh shampoo.
6 night trip Sep 1, 2014
Good value. Centrally located. Nice breakfast. Charming staff.
Other trip Sep 5, 2014
joanne
"Central Halifax stay"
Stay here if you want to support local business and want to get a little closer to street level. Good pubs, local fare, theatre, dangerous sketchy feeling after dark. But the Halifax vibe is soooo laid back, even the thugs are nice! I could have got a place downtown at the Cambridge Suites on Brunswick for $7.00 more per night and as much as I like the idea of all that homegrown stuff, the Cambridge Suites is a much more pleasant place, more professional staff more polished amenities and next time I will book there. The room at the Commons was comfy, clean and a little loud... I need quiet to fall asleep. I was solo on this trip and had a car so this was doable.
Other trip Sep 2, 2014
Fred
"Not good value for money."
The mattresses were worn out and the head boards were resting between the bed and wall, and rattled against the wall whenever we tossed or turned. Had to run shower for 3-4 minutes before hot water turned hot. I wouldn't stay here again. There are better places in town for the same money.
Other trip Aug 16, 2014
Ron
"Friendly Location"
Everything in Halifax seems over priced, but this gem is one I would return to. The front desk staff was knowledgable and friendly and it was a beautiful old building. The room we stayed in looked like it had been updated in the 90's, so it didn't have much historical charm. The location seemed a bit odd when we pulled up, but as we walked around and explored the neighbourhood we realized it was a great location and a nice walk to the harbour.
Other trip Aug 13, 2014
Hilary
"A great experience!!!"
A 15 minute walk from DT Halifax, the Commons Inn is located in a vibrant area off the commons, and just a few steps from excellent cafés and restaurants (chez Tess, enVie vegan kitchen, Hali Deli) and the hydrostone market. Free onsite parking, and very friendly staff (who seem to answer your questions just before they even come to mind). If you're looking for the cookie-cutter hotel chain experience, maybe you want to keep browsing. The hotel is not accessible (no elevator, or access ramps that I could notice), the furniture may be dated... but the room was clean and fresh, the two patios on the top floor are a great bonus, the AC worked and wasn't too loud, the bathroom was super clean, and our queen size was very comfortable :) We'll be back as soon as we can :)
Other trip Aug 11, 2014