All hotels in Whitby, England, United Kingdom
Sandsend RoadNorth Yorkshire, WhitbyEnglandYO21 3STUnited Kingdom, ‏‎800-491-6126

Great amenities
  • Wellness Area
    Great wellness & sports facilities
  • Value for money
    Poor value for money
    Bad internet service
"An excellent place to stay."
This is an excellent hotel. The staff are attentive and helpful. The food is excellent. We will definitely return next time we are in the area. Do not be deterred because it is on the outskirts of Whitby, it is just a few minutes of easy driving into town.
2 night romance trip Dec 2, 2014
Anthony
"Resort Hotel in Fall"
The hotel was a little remote from town so you would need transportation to get into the downtown area. The hotel is very modern and comfortable with a balcony off the room. We were there in cooler weather so we could not really use the outdoors much. We were given a room in the secondary building (room included coffee/tea setup with biscuits). The main building with the spa, gym, pool and restaurants was a short walk (5 minutes) up the road. The spa facilities were nice and I used the gym, saunas and pool. They offered a breakfast at the hotel for additional cost, which was a bit steep. We don't eat that much food for breakfast so we did not have it. We did have a drink and appetizers in the bar area which was pleasant. We did not eat in the hotel restaurant.
Other trip Oct 13, 2014
Debby
"One of the best hotels I have stayed at"
A beautiful hotel with absolutely no issues (and I'm picky). We walked in with back packs and muddy boots having just completed the coast to coast walk. We were in need of a comfortable bed, good shower, massage and a drink and were not disappointed on any front. The staff could not have been more friendly or helpful. The location is just outside Whitby and surrounded by beautiful gardens. Wait until check in to book breakfast as it was cheaper then and well worth it. Will definitely be back.
Other trip Jul 6, 2014
The Raithwaite hotel is an excellant place to stay. lovely grounds and helpful friendly staff. its a great location to get away from it all. There is a spa on site which is expensive than most but if you can treat yourself then am sure would b great. there is a buggy to get you to & from the different locations on site. nothing is too much trouble for the staff. highly recommend! i would add when booking ask to stay at The Keep as ground floors have own patio area within the grounds with seating area. lovely to sit out with your cup of Yorkshire Tea in the morning!
Other trip Jun 24, 2014
"Lovely but a bit far from town"
It is a retreat from town. Quite a surprise for Whitby and rather expensive, but very nice. Breakfast was not good.
1 night trip May 10, 2014
Katrina
Loved my stay here! It was so relaxing, the pool/spa facilities were lovely. The staff were always happy and willing to do anything for you. The food was beautiful and the room was very nice. Also the grounds and views were a really nice extra to this lovely hotel. I really enjoyed my stay here and will be returning again soon.
Other trip Mar 26, 2014
A lovely hotel - ideal base for great dog walks. Lovely Woodland/'on the tops' walk from the estate to SandsEnd - follow the public footpath signs to the rear of the deluxe pet friendly rooms, nice pet friendly pub too in SandsEnd - Hart Inn. Wonderful night away, very good meal in Brace restaurant. Breakfast v good too - plenty choice.
Other trip Feb 17, 2014
Had a great stay at Raithwaite Hall and will definitely be going back!
Other trip Nov 6, 2013
"Our first visit to Raithwaite"
This was our first stay at Raithwaite. The staff was very friendly and helpful. Peter assisted us with our luggage and also suggested some local places to see. It is a very nice estate, very clean and well managed. The garden area is very beautiful and serene. Nice spa and pool. A upscale ambiance with a down to earth staff. Would suggest for a wedding, vow renewal any special occasion. Although on the more expensive side it is well worth it, if you desire quality.
Other trip Aug 13, 2013
Had a wonderful relaxing stay nothing was too much trouble for the staff the pool is just the place to round off a day out the breakfasts are excellent as are the meals in the restaurant
Other trip Aug 9, 2013
The food was dull and of variable quality. The temperature was in the high 20's and the menu was more suitable for winter. The breakfast was average B & B not hotel quality. The rooms were excellent and the pool good. The staff were generally very helpful and pleasant.
Other trip Jul 19, 2013
We had to request an alternative room as the first one had a view of a wall! The second one was a Lovely room but unfortunately there was no air conditioning so the room was too warm. We requested a fan but were informed that they were all in use. I did not sleep well and used a cold wet facecloth to try and stay cool. Not what you would expect for a hotel of this standard or price. It was however a lovely hotel but given the poor sleep quality and lack of resolution from the hotel we probably won't stay again
Other trip Jul 19, 2013
Raithwaite Hall was absolutely lovely. The staff were welcoming, friendly and extremely helpfull. The rooms were spacious and very clean, and furnished to an excellent standard. The restaurant was wonderful, with a nice variety of dishes. Not all staff had name badges so i cannot correctly name them but the reception staff, bar staff and Louise from the restaurant were all very proffessional but still maintained a nice friendly atmosphere. Not too stuffy. Will definitely visit again. Excellent location, just far enough away from the bustle of Whitby, but near enough to make it accessable.
Other trip May 7, 2013

The following English reviews were posted by hotel guests from other countries:

"Not really a luxury experience!"
Queue at check-in and so we were checked in by a junior member of staff who was going to pass us onto the main check-in person but they took so long for the previous guest then we got our key and went to the room. Went down to the bar on the first night and draught bitter was off. Barman didn't know if he had another barrel. It took a guest to inform them the beer was off. Avoid hunters restaurant. We booked for 7 and was told when we arrived to have a seat as there had been a rush on. Only 2 tables were taken by families so where the rush had come from wasn't apparent. 30 minutes no movement and then a family strolled in and were seated immediately in front of us. We'd had enough and so left and didn't eat or drink in the hotel for the next 3 nights. Plenty of good laternatives at Sandsend and whitby east cliff area. Pie shop particularly good.
Other trip Oct 30, 2015
Graham
"Raithwaite overnight stay"
Excellent hotel, staff very friendly, amenities and grounds fantastic and great choice of food. First class
1 night trip with friends Oct 25, 2015
"top class getaway"
first class. staff were wonderful in every way well done
3 night romance trip Sep 28, 2015
"Short brake"
We had an enjoyable short brake with our dog Very helpful and polite staff and we would recommend to our friends.
2 night romance trip Sep 30, 2015
Michael John
A two night stay at the end of the summer. Excellent location, hotel, room and facilities.
2 night romance trip Sep 9, 2015
Bryan
"A weekend away."
Loved every minute we were there. Very helpful staff. Would recommend to everyone and anyone.
3 night romance trip Sep 4, 2015
lynn
"Good . . . at a discounted price."
This is a very nice hotel which is set back from the sea front at Sandsend. We stayed in the Hall (as opposed to the Lodge) for just the one night. We used the spa facilities in the afternoon, which are as you would expect at a 4-5 star hotel, but we did not eat at the hotel at all during our stay. The room was very nicely furnished and had an extremely comfortable bed. It did get a little warm during the night, but we were able to open the roof windows. I couldn't see any obvious air conditioning, but at 3am I wasn't going to look very hard! I would summarise our brief stay by saying that for the price I paid, which was just a whisker more than £100 for the night (room only - no breakfast), it was worth the money. In fact, I would possibly have paid a little more. However, at the 'normal' price of more than £200 for the night, I'd be wanting a bit more, and certainly a breakfast!
1 night romance trip Sep 3, 2015
"Fawlty Towers with an expensive price tag!"
Reception staff terrible; porters & chambermaids lovely; bar staff shambolic. Wrong breakfast delivered then arrived cold - still charged full price with no apology offered by reception. Afternoon tea we got stuck in the noisy bar as a wedding was in conservatory - full price charged with no apology. Room damp and dark despite its £256 a night price tag. Also quality of the breakfast food was poor, bread was cheap nasty cardboard...it was just a bit tacky. Hotel is in administration - no wonder!
Other trip Sep 4, 2015
Elle
"Lovely but pricey"
Lovely hotel Beautiful room but very expensive
1 night romance trip Jun 27, 2015
"A hotel in many separate sections"
We had paid in full when booking to stay at The Raithwaite Hotel. On arrival we were sent to "The Keep" a smaller building in the grounds, having not previously being notified of this change. The ground floor room (we had requested a first floor room with view of grounds) was poor with bad ventilation and that its wardrobe was really for a single room with poor space for a couple. The bathroom had no where to hang our bath robes once removed from the bedroom wardrobe, although staff tried to rectify this and a proper chrome hook was fitted the following day. The staff did their best, but also having dined in the main hotel once, being ferried back and forth on a golf trolly in the wet is not fun. We recieved no compensation for the changes to the expected accomodation and room, still being charged the full hotel rate. The hotel need to be honest and notify customers of unexpected changes made after payment has been made - on arrival is not acceptable.
Other trip Aug 28, 2015
Colin
Lovely hotel and staff were very helpful. Good spa and facilities.
1 night romance trip Aug 24, 2015
"Stunning hotel with a quirky layout"
Stayed the night as a treat. Staff were very friendly and helpful. Hotel grounds are stunning.
1 night family trip Aug 20, 2015
"The hotel was beautiful...."
The hotel was really beautiful and set in stunning surroundings, the room was lovely and the staff couldn't do enough for you, I would definitely recommend this hotel, it was perfect
Other trip Aug 20, 2015
Marts
"Excellent hotel"
Comfortable stay in a lovely hotel, lovely location
3 night romance trip Aug 9, 2015
philippa
I enjoyed my stay, the facilities were the high-light for me, food was good, only thing I was not happy with was the price, especially when we came to book again they had gone up tremendously
Other trip Aug 16, 2015
"One of the best hotels in the country..."
The best hotel I've been in a while... I'll be back
1 night romance trip Aug 6, 2015
Olabisi
"BEST HOTEL"
Best hotel we have stayed in. Will return.
2 night romance trip Aug 8, 2015
Alison
"DO NOT DISTURB"
Sorry to say how disappointed I was. It was difficult to park near to the hotel and all drop off spaces were taken so we parked up the hill and carried our cases down only to be told that we were in the wrong building and we were now in the Keep so back we trundled and moved the car.I was told they did not inform me due to not having my email address although i had spoken to them two days earlier.Checked in only to find the bed configuration was a twin instead of the double that I had booked so a trip back to reception. Bed was made right after some inconvenient attempts by staff to enter the room especially with DO NOT DISTURB on the door. The Keep was very nice but the room was of strange layout which made getting to the bed and wardrobe difficult. The portable air con unit was an eyesore and reminded me of a tumble dryer and was far too loud to use. Sorry again for all the moans but I did tell reception and they sent some bubbly but just smiled a lot and apologised. I could go on but I think you have heard enough. Ah just one last thing it is dog friendly..ok if you have a dog but I do not like the idea that dogs may have been in the bed. Such a shame as the setting is perfect.
1 night romance trip Jul 31, 2015
linda
"Outstanding stay for my 40th"
Fabulous break celebrating my 40th birthday. Service outstanding, hotel and grounds beautiful and food first class
2 night romance trip Jul 19, 2015
Helen
ZA
"Amazing Holiday"
loved every minute. We stay in whitby or sandsend every year but this has to be one of the best hotels on Yorkshire
4 night trip Jul 20, 2015
"A nice hotel with great staff, but overpriced"
The staff in the hotel are very good, I read reviews about the keep and the Hall, not much difference, their was a wedding on Friday and Saturday in hall. We stayed in the keep as we had a dog, ( no dog bins). We paid £15 per day extra for having a dog, sub standard rooms and nothing else. The hotel in my opinion price themselves out of everything, the cheapest 175ml wine £7. The prices in local bars, very reasonable. The cage in Sandbanks and local bar was excellent. We liked he hotel for everything, but price which was a huge issue, pure greed in my opinion. I loved the area but would not waste my money returning, not the staff the greedy price fixers are to blame
Other trip Jul 21, 2015
"Great facilities and fantastic location"
It was a very hot week which was great but meant that my room in The Keep required a portable air conditioning unit vented out of the sliding doors. A minor irritation - on the whole a lovely stay
4 night business trip Jun 29, 2015
"Excellent Hotel!"
We loved the setting and were impressed with the staff. All were personable and extremely attentive. The food was delicious. Our only regret was that we were there for just one night. We hope to return soon.
1 night romance trip Jul 8, 2015
Brenda
"Relaxing break"
Thoroughly enjoyed our stay. First night we ate in the Poachers Inn in the Keep. Food and service both excellent and glad of the golf buggy transport! Good breakfasts and lovely rooms. We took our best friends and tended to have a 'cuppa' in their room as they had a settee and chairs for all of us. Requested extra cups to save taking ours there and they were very quickly produced. Spa was a bonus - we swam when it rained. The Hall nestled in superb grounds and the garden behind the Hall was perfect. Great location for exploring Whitby (about 2to3 miles away)and beautiful bay of Sandsend on the doorstep. Also close to Staithes and Robin Hoods Bay. Surrounding countryside worth visiting too.
2 night trip with friends Jul 5, 2015
Dorothy
"Raithwaite review"
Our stay was perfect from start to finish. All staff were helpful and friendly. The rooms were clean and food in the restaurant was first class. We had our dog with us who was welcomed into the hotel and fussed over which she loved. We had a lovely weekend and will deffinately return to this hotel.
1 night romance trip Jun 28, 2015
Lee
"Disappointing"
This was a break for my mother after a visit last year. I would advise not to bother getting a executive room. You are paying for a balcony and the room is far smaller than a cheaper club room. Wanted a bar meal at night was given a menu but was told I couldn't eat in the bar, had to walk down to the keep with an elderly mother. There is a chef available and the ingredients I should eat want I want where I want after all it is a luxury hotel?? Complained had to walk down only for the porter to be offering lifts in his buggy to other people. How nice of him after I tipped him a fiver taking our luggage up to the room and he was stood in reception whilst I was complaining. Service is poor, what a shame. Unfortunately this is the best hotel whitby can offer.
Other trip Jun 27, 2015
Stella
Smart hotel, wonderful position with gardens and walks near the sea. Main problem we found was poor internet and mobile phone connections due to the hotel position.
Other trip Jun 16, 2015
"Exceptional hotel"
The hotel was in a lovely position we had a very nice room and enjoyed using the spa. The staff were nice and friendly and the food was good. Would definitely return to this hotel.
1 night romance trip Jun 4, 2015
"Short stay."
We stay three nights and everything was perfect. Hotel , room and service.
3 night romance trip May 16, 2015
Excellent hotel. Great walk to Whitby via the beach.
2 night romance trip May 29, 2015
Stephen
"Great but….."
Great hotel location and friendly staff let down by very poor service in Restaurant. Beds very hard.
3 night family trip May 26, 2015
Anita
"Whitby Break"
Top hotel with excellent facilities and great food
1 night romance trip May 27, 2015
Alan
"Outstanding hotel!"
Perfect stay. Couldn't fault anything. Will be back!
1 night trip with friends May 26, 2015
Ryan
"Amazing hotel!!"
Myself and some friends stayed here for a 1 night break. This has got to be the best hotel I've ever stayed in. We booked 3 rooms. Upon arrival got free upgrade to the keep. Which is the luxury part of the estate. Staff service is brilliant. Nothing is to much trouble. We visited the spa twice. First time was very noisy but the 2nd day was perfect. Only downside is that drinks are quite expensive at the bar. We are definintley planning on returning to this hotel.
1 night trip with friends May 26, 2015
Ryan
"An excellent experience from start to finish."
An excellent experience from start to finish. Fantastic and attentive staff, outstanding food and excellent facilities. If you want to relax in a luxury hotel, this is the place.
Other trip May 26, 2015
"Weekend away"
From start to finish the service and attention was superb, I would without doubt stay here again.
1 night family trip May 23, 2015
"3 day break"
stayed there for a 3 night break just to get away from it all, the hotel was awesome,the staff brilliant service excellent and the whole experience was just fantastic.
3 night romance trip May 19, 2015