All hotels in Montreal, Quebec, Canada
3422, rue Stanley, Montreal, QC, H3A1R8, Canada, ‏‎800-491-6126

"OK, not great hotel"
The location was terrific. The room was outdated and not super clean. The staff was very friendly, but not at the front desk at all times. The breakfast was terrible. We did not have enough to eat and had to go out afterward.
1 night family trip Feb 16, 2013
Cathy
"Beautiful but noisy room"
I loved how the room looked. This was my second time staying at this hotel and both time it was clean and the service was good. Each room seems to have a character also, both beautiful old victorian. The first time, I had a room on the second floor with shared bath. I loved the room and the shared bath was a little inconvenient but not much of a problem. This time, I had the first floor with a private bathroom and beautiful high ceiling but the noise from the second floor was pretty bad - I could hear all of their conversation until 3 in the morning. I don't think the people were particularly loud. They were just talking and this old victorian house has very poorly soundproofed rooms. I admit that I am a bit more sensitive to the noise than others but I couldn't sleep until 3am because of the noise. I wouldn't really stay there again unless it's really cheap, since the location is very nice.
1 night trip Jan 26, 2013
"fabulous!"
The reception staff were very friendly and super helpful with giving directions and recommendations to 'foreigners' on food, bars, things to do and they were very patient with us. Room was like a regular bedroom but very cozy and homey. I would recommend this hotel to everyone, its lovely. Cant wait to go back in the summer :)
1 night romance trip Jan 21, 2013
jessica
"good value, comfortable feeling"
A small builing just around the corner from giant hotel buildings, so the neighborhood/location is good. There were bus stops and metro stations nearby (a 3-day pass for busses and the subway was $18) that got us anywhere we needed to be. Staff was helpful. If you need parking, call ahead and reserve it because they only have 4 spots available, however I reserved a spot only 3 nights before traveling without a problem. The building itself is really interesting and made it feel like we were staying in a part of historical montreal, rather than visiting the city during the day and going to some boring hotel room at night. If I return to montreal I will definitely be looking to stay here.
3 night romance trip Jan 11, 2013
Ryan
"Great Vaue"
The hotel was close to McGill University allowing my daughter to easily moved into her dorm. The location was safe and quiet. The staff was friendly and professional, they spoke english, french and spanish fluently making it easy to request for assistance. Breakfast was simple but delicious. Their lounge area was quiet and peaceful. The room was clean and comfortable. Hotel was close to all shops and restaurants. I will visiting my daughter soon and I'm hoping to stay at Ambrose Hotel again.
Other trip Jan 15, 2013
Very nice staff
2 night trip Jan 4, 2013
The attendants were really helpful and courteous. The room was very comfortable. We came away impressed with the value we got for the money.
1 night trip Jan 5, 2013
"Grad school visit"
It was amazing. My grandmother and I loved the hotel, the location was fabulous, especially with its proximity to McGill Uni. where we were visiting. It's close enough to the downtown area where we didn't need to drive anywhere. The only downside is that you are lucky if you get a spot for the private parking, but there are enough parking garages nearby that it isn't too much of an issue. I would definitely stay there again in a heartbeat!
2 night trip Dec 27, 2012
"Top value small hotel near McGill"
Good self-serve breakfast; extremely reasonable price; most convenient for McGill University.
4 night business trip Nov 1, 2012
"needs renos..."
Nice location but thats about all. Rooms need renovations. I've stayed at much better for the same price. Won't go back.
1 night business trip Oct 24, 2012
Mario
"Quaint, Lovely Boutique in Great Location"
Was looking for a romantic hotel at a reasonable price and Manoir Ambrose definitely fits the bill. Hotel rooms are gorgeous and found the beds to be very comfortable. Location was excellent - short trip from the airport using the express bus and close to the Peel STM stop. Also within walking distance to core area of nightlife. Highly recommend!
2 night romance trip Oct 2, 2012
"not recommended for the aged or handicapped"
the hotel is very well located , but I think they ought to warn somebody about the items that are uncomfortable for the aged or physically handicapped people about the conditions characteristic of this hotel and I am refering to the placing of the room , that there were not waiters available and no elevator .
Response by Hotel Ambrose
We're very sorry you had a difficult time at our hotel. We try our best to let customers know about our issues with accessibility, including in our main description on Expedia, where you booked. We do mention that we do not have stairs, and our hotel is not handicap accessible.
Other trip Sep 22, 2012
e ramirez
"Near McGill University"
Excellent location and good value. Not a luxury hotel, but satisfies all your basic needs. We parked on street when checking-in (easy in afternoon to find a space, impossible on workday morning), so parking was free. Safe neigborhood, close to museums and University. Breakfast was fantastic (no meats - which worked for our vegeterian family), staff - friendly. They walked outside with us to make sure parking is allowed the next day (all parking signs - in French and confusing). Rooms are OK, bathroom - below average. Only small shower in our room, kind of in bad shape...
Other trip Sep 19, 2012
"Ideal location, great staff"
We stayed at the Manoir Ambrose for a few days to help our daughter move into McGill. The location could not be better, close to McGill, Metro, shopping, restaurants, Mont Royal. They have limited parking, which is very convenient, easy in and out. Nice little breakfast provided. Rooms have a lot of character, minor maintenance issues. The staff are outstanding, could not be more helpful. Will definitely stay again, great value.
Family trip Sep 3, 2012
Mike C.

"Cheap and decent"
Room was tiny, so pay attention to what room you are getting. The hotel is clean but really quite run down. Service overall was good, but marred by one very rude front desk staff. Good location and good price.
2 night romance trip Aug 20, 2015
Friendly staff. Quiet place. Liked the continental breakfast and it was better than I expected for that room price. Enjoyed my stay!
3 night trip with friends Jul 13, 2015
Rajindra
"Good little hotel in downtown Montreal"
The rooms are nicely remodeled but the stair wells are battered
2 night business trip Jul 26, 2015
"Good deal"
I enjoyed to stay in the old stylish hotel with lot of space. Good price and closed to nearby tour area with hop on and hop off.
2 night romance trip Jul 6, 2015
"Good location, good value"
Nice old building in great neighbourhood. Good bed and linens. Bathroom was tiny but very clean.
1 night romance trip Jul 5, 2015
"Thank you Hotel Ambrose."
We stayed for a U2 concert at the Centre Bell, which was within walking distance. We liked the uniqueness of the hotel. Very friendly and clean. Thank you Hotel Ambrose.
Thanl you !!!!
1 night romance trip Jun 16, 2015
Erika
"Formula 1 weekend"
Amazing time. Very hospitable staff. Hidden gem
Thank you !!!!
1 night trip with friends Jun 6, 2015
Brad
"Qaint in a perfect location!"
Hotel Ambrose is a quaint hotel in a prefect location. It is within walking distance of the downtown but still provides a quiet retreat away from things. The staff is very friendly and the breakfast is great! The little added touch of free snacks and drinks is much appreciated. One tip: if you have any kind of mobility issues, this hotel is not for you. The climb up the spiral staircase is not for the faint hearted.
2 night family trip Jun 4, 2015
Valerie
"I could hear my neighbours"
The room was beautiful but I could hear the lady next door coughing all night and I'm sure she heard me- the room was spotless but the rest of the hotel wasn't - sorry
1 night business trip Jun 3, 2015
Timothy P
"Hotel Ambrose - a friendly comfortable hotel"
I wanted a smaller hotel with local character near to McGill university for my daughters graduation that offered breakfast, good value, was comfortable and welcoming. Hotel Ambrose lived up to its earlier reviews and proved to be a small hotel with character, a great location, relaxing atmosphere, comfortable room and with a welcoming friendly and helpful service.
Thank you very much !!!!
3 night family trip May 31, 2015
"good location,but not a rate"
It is almost star hotel,the location is good but I will not stay again
3 night trip with friends May 24, 2015
Hossein
"The approximity my business meeting."
The pleasant reception. Cleanliness, super clean. The charm of the place, affordable rates, and booking my third year in this hotel. I appreciated the renovations and improvements. Formidable and great! Robert Dubois
Thank you !!!!
Other trip May 27, 2015
Robert Dubois
"Montreal Charm in a great location"
This hotel is in an old Montreal Townhouse - very charming and in a great location. The young staff is very friendly and tries to help wherever they can. I stayed in a recently renovated room (you could even smell the paint - this will go soon) that was therefore very clean - I liked that the floors were not carpeted and the bed was synthetics (instead of feathers) and v. comfortable. The bathroom could have benefitted from a little table or similar area to place the toiletteries. Given the age of the house there is no elevator - so lifting a heavy suitcase to the 3rd floor may not be everyone's favourite sport. Great deal for the price.
4 night business trip May 13, 2015
"Charming hotel with comfortable rooms - a bargain!"
Lovely, charming budget hotel set in an early 1900's home. Room was cosy and comfortable, with a shabby-chic decor. We had a room with a private bathroom, with the sink outside in the room itself. Breakfast was included and the breakfast area was lovely. Staff were friendly. Location is great - a stone's throw away from McGill campus and close to the subway. There are no elevators and the stairs are tricky - be careful! Not a good option for those with mobility problems. A good option for students, singles or couples.
Other trip May 18, 2015
K
great location, great service would stay there again the next time i visit
Other trip May 18, 2015
"good stay"
Good hôtel for one night, close to everything. Only downside you can hear noise from other room like people walking and cellphone alarm.
1 night business trip May 12, 2015
It was good. Please don't keep asking me for more information or I'll click off like I did the first time. I've rated the hotel so I think that should be enough.
Other trip May 6, 2015
"Nice and close to downtown"
Great location for our needs. Very clean, nice sized room in the family suite. Breakfast was only so so. The ketchup was moldy so we informed the manager and removed all the ketchup bottles.
Other trip May 3, 2015
Conrad
"Weekend stay!"
it was very good hotel and afforable. It fit the 6 of us very well. It was very close to downtown, very easy to access anyone. Parking was hard to find for the 2 cars but it worked out.
2 night trip with friends Apr 24, 2015
Darcy
No elevator,it is very hard to move the luggage!
Other trip Apr 28, 2015
Great location, staff was very friendly and helpful. Prebooked a parking spot and worked out perfectly. Bed was comfy and we had a newly renovated ensuite which was very nice. We will definitely stay there again.
2 night romance trip Apr 2, 2015
Victoria
"Good quality/price hotel"
Tthe room is nice with confortable mattress. renovated bathroom but a very noisy fan. About noise there seems to be no sound proofing at all. We heard the guest next door when he woke up at 6h30 took his shower etc, etc...This hotel should really do something about this.
Other trip Apr 4, 2015
spiro
"Close to Central train station and cbd"
Comfortable warm clean rooms, feels like home. Charming old building. Plenty of English language channels on tv.
BF
"Great value for central location"
Location was superb. My room was very clean, nicely decorated and very comfortable - especially the mattress. Staff were friendly. Good value for the price. However, the hotel would really benefit from a renovation - new carpeting, painting, a general update throughout.
2 night business trip Mar 15, 2015
Katherine
"Hidden treasure of Montreal."
Wonderful little hotel close to all the good stuff in downtown Montreal. Lovely little room with a real comfy bed a big tv and internet. Feels like staying in a home with your own room and bathroom. Will definately stay here again.
1 night trip with friends Mar 15, 2015
Amazing, Staff was friendly and the room was clean. Beautiful bathroom I loved that tub. Will come back
1 night trip with friends Mar 10, 2015
kareen
"Cute hotel close to university"
Very friendly staff and in a great location! Pubs and restaurants were minutes away and we had a nice view of Mont Royal
Other trip Feb 19, 2015
"Hotel Ambrose a good "budget" choice"
This hotel is not at all fancy. It's a bit like staying in a row-house hotel as you would in London England. It's a couple of old homes joined together. The hotel layout is awkward as was the access to the bathtub in my room, #121. However, that room was very clean and the bed VERY comfy with nice pillows ... there was also an electric fireplace in room 121 giving it a cozy feel on a very cold night at -25C outside. Breakfast was uninspired but overall the experience was pleasant enough. Not a good choice if you need to put up a client.
2 night business trip Feb 15, 2015
Raymond
"Cheapest around the area."
Just going for a conference near Mcgill staying only for 2 days. Excellent for those who have a strict budget.
Other trip Feb 8, 2015
"Nice & Quiet, Close to Everything"
The signage on the building could be a little bigger for even some taxi drivers didn't know it was there.This being an older building one could tell some details should have been improved upon. Whether I had forgotten the fact but the hotel did have some ingredients out for people to make their own breakfasts which I thought was nice.
Other trip Feb 2, 2015
"Nice central hotel"
Fine staff & hotel well located in Montreal. No more to say.
Other trip Jan 28, 2015
Justin
"Fit my needs"
I was a student going to a conference at McGill University, so the two biggest criteria for me were cost and location. Hotel Ambrose fit both wonderfully (much lower than other hotels in the area, and only 5 minutes from McGill). As can be expected from a renovated 100-year-old building, Hotel Ambrose had some eccentric features: The hallways are a bit on the narrow side, and the stairs were slightly steep (and, as other reviews pointed out, no elevators). There's also a three-step "hump" that one has to go over to reach the second building (they tore down a wall, but it's right where a staircase was so they had to improvise). Also, there were some cracks in the wall (purely cosmetic), and if you looked REALLY closely, there were hidden corners with some dust. The majority of the room and bathroom were clean, however, and my stay was comfortable. The included breakfast was nothing to fancy (they admitted as much), but I appreciated there being food (potatoes, eggs, cereal, and toast), juice and coffee. I didn't use any of the facilities (laundry, business area, parking, etc.), so I can't comment on that. What really impressed me was the friendliness of the staff. From the moment I walked in I felt welcome. So if you're looking for a fairly inexpensive place to stay, and don't mind older places, I would recommend it. If you like the usual modern hotel, then maybe not.
Other trip Jan 26, 2015
Matthew
"Great Location with wonderfull staff"
When I first checked in the room was very small but clean and had basically everything I needed and for the price, the room represented fair value. When I returned from the hockey game there was a note to contact Judy the owner / manager. Apparently the room that was initially booked for me was out of service and as a result I was unknowingly (to me) down graded. Judy appologized and booked me into a "superior " room for the next evening ... AND did not charge me for the first nights stay. She certainly did not have to do that, especially given that I was not dissapointed with the initial room. The hotel has a community feel and reflects the owner's pride in the facility. I will definitly be staying there again. The location is central to everything Montreal has to offer.
Other trip Jan 22, 2015
"A diamond in Montreal"
You were recommended by a friend. Having just moved away from Westmount, I was at a loss for a place to spend an overnight or two in the city. I am sold on Ambrose; it has all that one can hope for: courtesy, cleanliness, location, warmness. I have found my pied-à-terre. Many thanks.
1 night trip Jan 13, 2015
"Very close to downtown with an excellent rate."
Good Hotel to stay, as long as staying is the only thing you are doing. The Hotel shouldn't be your destination (unless on business) the City should be. So, it's practical and ideal if you want a place to stay for a matched rate, and excellent location. Just don't cry when it is the bare essentials for living... bed, heat, shower & sink.. clean!
Other trip Jan 17, 2015
Stylz
"Habs weekend getaway"
Stayed here for the weekend to explore Montreal and see a Habs game. It was -30 outside but the hotel was nice and warm and the bed was really comfortable! Great location for walking around the city. Would stay here again!
2 night trip with friends Jan 9, 2015