All hotels in Moffat, Scotland, United Kingdom
You can collect Hotels.com® Rewards nights hereBallplay Road, Alachelle, Moffat, Scotland, DG10 9JU, United Kingdom, ‏‎800-491-6126

Score breakdown (from 1 review)

• 5.0
  • 4.0
  • 3.0
  • 2.0
  • 1.0
    (0)

"Country house hotel on the outskirts of Moffat"
Having booked b&b I was phoned to ask whether we would like dinner as well. On arrival we were welcomed and shown to our room (very large double room with large en suite) beautifully furnished with everything we might need. Glad we booked dinner - it was superb with canapes, pre-dinner drink and wines all included. The food was delicious and well presented and served. We had a very comfortable night, and a great Scottish breakfast before leaving.
Other trip Jun 9, 2014
Tony

TripAdvisor reviews for Well View Hotel

"Only if you love dogs!"
11/19/14 meg_m Fife
Spent a weekend as a solo traveller to Well View - now a gust house rather than a hotel and houses a dog-grooming business on premises. Guest house currently up for sale. Plus points - large comfortable and spotlessly clean room, delicious breakfast, good wi-fi, comfortable chairs in the room, comfortable bed (if on the firm side) whole place spotless and toasty warm and a reasonable distance from Moffat centre. Slight doggy smell on day 1 not so noticeable by day two. Minus points - Door is locked at 11.30 and for some reason, guests are not given front door keys. This reeks to me of people not actually cut out for hospitality and serving guests needs but rather, you are being welcomed into their home and must fit their ways. Meals are served round one large table. Doesn't particularly bother me but seems very odd. Again it appears as though the owners put themselves first - I can imagine this is "their" dining room and the large table useful for family times. No biscuits with the teas/coffees in rooms. No fresh milk (though advertised on web site). Two bath towels were in the en-suite the first night - which I loved using (one for hair, one for me) but only one on the second night which seemed a tad mean as a solo traveller paying £50 per night. Since no door keys are given, one of the owners pops up every time you enter and leave. The family also own 4 small dogs and at least one was always in the hallway meaning that in addition to an owner appearing you have a small yapping dog to content with as well. There was intermittent yapping throughout my stay, including after I had gone to bed one evening. There seemed no real urge to quieten the dog/s when they barked. Trying to enjoy a quiet read one afternoon, I resorted to putting on the TV loudly to drown out the noise. This isn't what I pay money for when I go away. No doubt this place will suit those who have a greater tolerance to yapping dogs than I do, but because of the dogs, the keys and the lack of privacy in my coming and going, I won't stay here again.
"Perfection"
10/14/14 Stonedcrow Blaydon, England
We stayed for only one night en route to Glasgow however we are now thinking about returning for a longer visit. The hotel is in an unspoilt large early Victorian house which has every modern comfort, the owners and their family made us very welcome. The room we had above the lounge was very spacious, well equipped,quiet and had lovely views. The evening meal which included our wine was superb quality good value. In all this is the perfect place to relax and explore the area.
"Exceptional"
07/31/14 HerbertElmo Knebworth, United Kingdom
Can't say anything negative about this place after our 4 night stay. Lovely hosts, room was very clean and spacious and the food, especially the evening meals were fabulous. We would definitely stay again if we are in the area.
"Good value, comfortable rooms"
02/08/14 rovingduck Coventry, United Kingdom
Very friendly owners and comfortable rooms. I stayed in a large room on the top floor which had a bath, sofa, tv and nice view. Very quiet with a comfortable bed made for a good night's sleep. Breakfast was delicious with a good choice, dinner was also nice however a little pricey (approx £30 from memory) but included three courses and wine. A nice quiet part of Moffat but not really walking distance to the centre of town. Very good value for money.
"Exceptional Hospitality"
10/22/13 Joanne310394
We recently stayed for our anniversary, as an elderly couple they couldn't be more helpful. Carrying our suitcases up the stairs and arranging for us to be in the most suitable room. The food was absolutely wonderful. Anyone who stays in Moffat should definitely stay in this hotel. Can't thank you enough. Mary and Peter Garioch.
"Luxury at a fair price"
02/02/13 14maggie Stafford, United Kingdom
We have stayed at this delightful family run hotel on several occasions on our way further north.There is always a warm welcome, a fantastic lounge for coffee or pre dinner drinks. The breakfasts and dinners are of exceptional quality as is all the accommodation.
"Not well located"
01/13/13 jackieRichmond richmond
I do agree will the previous review on most things. This definite B&B is difficult to find and it was dark when we arrived and we did spend quite a while finding it. We also could not have an evening meal, it also needs pointing out there is no bar area and presumably no alcohol licence. The 'delux' room was fine and very clean. I requested the 4 poster bed pictured on the Internet and was told it was an old picture and they no longer had this room. The breakfast was really very good, I had the smoked salmon and scrambled eggs which was a real treat. I particularly liked having all the condiments in individual pots, it was rather a blast from the past but lovely. For us it is just too far away from the centre of Moffatt.
"Not so much a hotel, more a B&B"
12/28/12 Sam D Hunstanton, United Kingdom
We chose this hotel as it offered fine dining, but on arrival (at 3:30pm) were told that this was not available, and were cursorily informed that there were plenty of places to dine in the village. There was no recommendation on where to go, or not to go. If you are relying on a meal on arrival, it is worthwhile checking before you book. Next day, the breakfast menu showed smoked salmon and scrambled eggs, this was also not available. So much for fine dining! A definite disappointment as we booked the place thinking that we could eat there! Our first room, a twin, was cosy with perhaps a dated feel to the decor, but was spotlessly clean. What surprised us, was that there was no shower, not even in the corner bath. Luckily, the place was rather empty and we were re-assigned to a room with a shower (no bath). We had a deluxe room, but personally am unclear as to what made the room de luxe. It looked fairly standard with a small TV (22inch?) in the window arch and too far to watch in bed. The windows are sash windows and steamed up very heavily with water pouring down in the morning. Heating was acceptable. Finding the place on the outreach of the village gave us a problem, and it took us 3 times up and down the road before we found it. The signage is inadequate and in the dark (we did it in daylight), would be very challenging to find. Breakfast is only 8-9, so inappropriate for an early start. The dining room with its single oval table, had no cereals or juices set out for selection. These were on the menu as an option but there was no detail on what cereals actually were on offer. Overall, I would say that this was at the high end of pricing considering that it was very much a B&B with communal eating around a single table for 6-8 people.
"Malvern J"
10/03/12 Jim S Great Malvern, United Kingdom
On a 18 day holiday to Scotland we used Trip Advisor as a guide in helping to plan our trip. The Well View did have mixed reviews however on reading them I took the view that the unhappy people really wanted to stay in a conventional hotel. Luckily I was proved correct. We had a luxurious large room, the food and service were excellent. Both my wife and I enjoy the communal table in the dining room as we enjoy chatting to other guests. We have met all sorts of interesting people through this. If you want a superb room, with excellent food, attentive service for your needs and a chance to chat to other guests this is place to stay. Personally I would call it a guest house rather than a hotel then it would match what it says on the tin. If you want to be anonymous and left entirely to your own devices, having a wide menu fresh from the freezer, then stay in a hotel as this is not the place for you.
"Well View Moffatt"
08/17/12 zakster bridgn
Only stayed one night at Well View, Moffatt, but what a beautfiul place, high quality decorations and carpeting throught out property. Breakfast was excelletn, hopefully we will stay there again when we return to Scotland.