All hotels in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
24 Northumberland Lane, Halifax, NS, B3M1R7, Canada, ‏‎800-491-6126

"Go here"
It was a great trip. We were treated better than we've ever been outside our honeymoon. About the only thing that didn't work out for us was the driveway.
5 night romance trip Jul 30, 2015
"VERY NICE STAY"
THE HOST AND HOSTESS WERE GREAT,VERY FRIENDLY,ACCOMODATING AND HELPFUL. I GIVE THE OVERALL B&B AN ''A''.
1 night family trip Oct 9, 2014
"Impossible to find more impossible to park"
Was a very nice old mansion and I stress OLD. It was quite hard to locate even with our updated new Garmin. Once found, we had a positively horrific time trying to park even our tint Ford Fiesta. Folks were parked up and down the steep hillside driveway which you can not turn either direction from in anything less than a very careful 3 point turn. I actually lost a portion of my fender skirting trying to get out of there. Once inside, we were met by the young owners, both whom were ill with colds. They seemed nice, but went away never to be seen again. We needed to depart before we had intended and I attempted to call to advise Dan, the owner at the provided phone #, but after 3 unsuccessful tries, we just left a note and departed. At our check-in his credit card machine was not working so I left our information and said to call if there was any further questions. No calls or emails yet, so I guess we are ok.. If you are infirm or hate to park or just have a camper or even SUV I think you may want to search for another lodging. If you are a history buff or lover of old architecture then this may be for you.
1 night trip Sep 20, 2014
Bob Powers
"Good place to stay without spending an arm and leg"
Every thing in Halifax was based in downtown. It had good places to eat. Must go on Peggy's Cove tour.
Other trip Sep 14, 2014
Roger
"Halifax Experience"
A quirky but very nice experience. Excellent breakfasts tailored to special dietary needs if necessary. Difficult entry lane to the B&B, but in a convenient location for access to downtown landmarks.
Other trip Aug 3, 2014
Kenny and Jonni
"Excellent hosts"
I have stayed here 3 times now and find it an excellent value compared to local traditional motels.
1 night family trip May 18, 2014
wayne
Katherine, the B&B owner, is extremely well knowledged on all things Halifax - and boy can she talk! We did most of the attractions she recommended and were pleased. However, she recommends pubs to eat; so if you're not a big drinker like me, urbanspoon will be your go to. Location is outside of downtown Halifax; but bus is quite reasonable. The stop is just down the hill from the B&B, and it's a quick bus ride. Rooms were quaint; but sheets and towels smelled like smoke, and the phone and TV weren't working. Overall, a pleasant stay. Breakfast was delicious, and it's a great home with great history.
Other trip May 26, 2014

"Do not go, unless you long for your hostel days..."
Terrible. I wanted to say quirky but the cost for quirky is far lower. I recommend these hosts consider their B&B as a hostel. When it was time for breakfast we had to call to wake the owner. The room was clean but without a lock. No view due to a large apartment built between the B&B and the harbor. Parking was difficult. No a/c which is probably not an issue normally but was horrible for the heat wave.
2 night romance trip Aug 22, 2015
Not what we expected for the way it was described in the info. However, it was clean and comfortable and our hosts were very friendly and helpful. Breakfast was very good. A little difficult to find as street looks like a laneway between two parking areas.
1 night romance trip Jul 1, 2015
Great place. Warmly welcomed and a great breakfast. Wish we stayed longer
1 night romance trip Jun 11, 2015
Sara
"Home away from home"
I had a couple of days over the weekend to explore the area and didn't feel like staying in a hotel. Saw this B&B and thought I'd give it a try. Dan and Catherine were very welcoming and we chatted about places to go and things we liked to do. It is like staying with friends - very welcoming with lovely interesting people to chat to. There was a little fridge and a kettle/coffee maker available any time. Also a little sitting room downstairs with a small library and games. Had a fabulous stay and was sorry to leave. The breakfasts were delicious too - set me up for the day. Much nicer than the free breakfasts you get in the chain hotels.
3 night trip May 1, 2015
Wendy
"hospitable halifax"
great place to stay!!! The hot breakfasts were fabulous and hosts very hospitable!
3 night romance trip Apr 27, 2015
Randy
"Excellent Hosts!"
Ascendence Habourside Mansion B&B is a historical house that offers a taste of home design dating back in the 1800's. The owners are welcoming and very hospitable. The breakfast is excellent served warm and prepared with flair presented on real china. My only complaint would be that although we had non smoking room, we could still smell the cigarette smoke from another room. Overall though, I enjoyed my stay there!
Other trip Apr 27, 2015
Doreen
"Relaxing and restful inexpensive stay"
Offered a very tranquil rest and sleep; I look forward to seeing it again in the daylight and when there is not so much snow around. Hosts are extremely friendly and ready to do whatever they can to ensure guest comfort.
1 night trip Mar 3, 2015
"Nice old mansion"
Beautiful room and furniture, somewhat chilly probably because it was so old. Somewhat noisy, the first night we were there we could hear people still talking at 3:30 am, the second night the doorbell rang multiple times around midnight. Good food, friendly couple who owned it.
Other trip Mar 2, 2015
"Nice getaway"
After all the snow days in February, and kids everywhere, I wanted a night alone with my wife.. And a 2 person Jacuuzi. The room was nice, the bed was comfy and the jacuuzi was relaxing. The owners were very welcoming, and made a delicious breakfast in the morning. I've already recommended this place to friends, and will probably book again.
Other trip Mar 2, 2015
"Friendly staff"
The staff was friendly and the room was comfortable and clean. My only disappointment was the jetted tub's motor was so loud it took away from the relaxing bath. I would stay again.
Other trip Dec 17, 2014
Sandra
"Could be so much more"
Hosts were very nice, especially husband. Stayed in artist room and the room itself was fine, but the bathroom was unpleasant because of an overpowering smell of mould / mildew...nauseating. Also the shower drain did not drain fast enough so you're standing in your own filth...yuck. Loud, long nights with host' company sticking around to the wee hours. Driveway is a nightmare, but hubby will provide valet services. Can't comment on breakfast because I missed it both days. Young couple on their way to being good b+b hosts...but more work to be done.
Other trip Oct 18, 2014
Room was old but clean. There is no bathroom exhaust fan in the Merchant room. Car park is a little small and difficult to get in and out. The stair is a little tight to move luggage up or down. Hosts are very friendly.
1 night romance trip Oct 1, 2014
"Interesting B&B"
Requires good driving skills to park vehicle up steep driveway. Building is old, charming and clean. Good wi-fi
Other trip Oct 12, 2014
Elaine
"Great B&B"
Our stay there was very good the owners were super friendly, good breakfast, comfortable king size bed, would definitely stay there again.
1 night business trip Sep 30, 2014
Gail
"Pleasant B&B"
Spent 7 nights at this B&B and was quite pleased with everything. The bed was comfortable the bathroom nice and modern and the breakfast tasty. It is quite far from downtown but there were several buses going there and the bus stop was just a 1 minute walk.
Other trip May 3, 2014
"Great Service"
My stay was very enjoyable and the hosts were great. A snow storm hit and we were all snowed in for an entire day. They were nice enough to make as supper since nobody could get out. The one issue with the location is the parking. There isn't much of it and to make matters worse we had a snow storm and I couldn't get up the steep driveway. Other than that issue the place is an A plus.
4 night trip Mar 25, 2014
"Not within walking distance to anywhere"
Room and rest of the place very clean, owners very friendly and pleasant, food quite good. The outside is quite unkempt, and it is nowhere near anywhere you may want to spend time, either the waterfront or shopping. Parking is hard to find in Halifax, so to have to drive and park every time is difficult, and at $3 per hour, expensive also. No views to speak of from any of the windows.
Other trip Sep 16, 2013
suera
We were very disappointed at this B&B. The grounds were terrible, & unkept. The hosts were nice folks who have taken on too many jobs to run this B&B in a manor befitting a business. They were having a party in the parking lot and drinking until the late hours. On the morning of departure, they slept in and we missed breakfast after a 45 min wait along with several other guests. Phone calls did not wake them. The kitchen was a mess with empty bottles and generally unkept looking.We had to go as we were on a time schedule without breakfast. We have since made contact with them and they have made amends with a 30 dollar refund. As a Nova Scotian I was embarrassed to chat with the fellow guests ( British) as they were wondering what they had got themselves into.
1 night trip May 31, 2013
B Payson
"very close to Mt. St. Vincent U"
This is a very nice B and B located within walking distance of Mt. St. Vincent U. Beautiful, historic inn with lots of character. Although we had a private bath, it was located next door to our room so we had to go into a common hallway to access it.
2 night business trip Mar 22, 2013
"Awesome accommodations"
Very comfortable, awesome breakfast and our hosts were so nice, very helpful and accommodating....will go back.
Other trip Oct 6, 2012
Need to have functioning lock on bathroom door which is in public hallway.
Other trip Sep 30, 2012

SE

TripAdvisor reviews for Ascendence Harbourside Mansion Bed & Breakfast Halifax

"Wonderful hosts"
08/30/15 ArleneJ44 North Vancouver, Canada
We stayed here for all three days we were in Halifax. The B&B was clean the food was wonderful - different each morning - eggs, French toast, yogurt, fruit and the coffee was strong - just how we like it. Dan and Catherine are friendly and thoughtful. We asked for a bottle of wine to be in our room apon a late arrival and it was done. It is about 7 kms from Halifax harbour, if that makes a difference.
"Attentive and caring hosts"
08/23/15 Kimeisler Langley, Canada
The hosts of this BnB are wonderful people. Our room was clean and the bed very comfortable. The mansion is old and full of character and close to Halifax's sites. Every morning started off with a delicious breakfast presented in the dining room where we spent time chatting with other guests.
"Exceptional hospitality in an historic setting"
07/29/15 Cindy J Halifax, Canada
First of all I want to thank Katherine, Danny and Austin for allowing eight crazy people into their home. The Hali meets Cali friends reunion occupied the entire mansion for two nights in July. The kindness and hospitality provided by this young couple was outstanding - and I have stayed in many B&B's. From the moment we arrived with a welcome message written across the driveway to helping with our quick departure to catch a flight - we felt at home. When the Halifax weather didn't cooperate for outdoor activities we were welcomed to hang out in the common rooms and many times Katherine and Danny would join us. There were many small touches and beyond the call of duty requests that were met without hesitation. The most exceptional was the five course dinner that kept our group fed and happy over a 5 hour period. It was fantastic food and well presented. The breakfast each morning started with strong, fresh coffee (we added our own Bailey's) followed by Danny's scrambled eggs one morning and french toast the next morning. Austin who is only 11 served us breakfast with charm and poise - he is an amazing host at a young age! We were treated very well and it was more like visiting family than a paid stay at an Inn. The rooms are well appointed with comfortable beds and linens and we each had our own en suite bathroom. It was the perfect set up for a group gathering. On behalf of the crazy crew we want to THANK YOU for accommodating our every need. We will not forget our stay with you and would highly recommend your B&B to others.
"Very pleasurable!"
07/19/15 gagnerphilippe49 WINDSOR
The proprietor was very helpful in directing me to the address even after getting lost in which was not far from the location. Very warm reception at arrival! Nice breakfast arrangements as well! Great location close to all amenities!
"Wonderful time"
07/16/15 Chelseadoodles Alberta
Had booked a week here. Each breakfast was unique, excellent presentation with a starter and the main course. On the last day, we choose what we wished to eat. Both Katherine and Danny went out of their way to make certain our stay was enjoyable. Katherine introduced each new arrival at breakfast and made everyone comfortable. Katherine was a wealth of information about Halifax, the sites and where to eat. In the evening, Danny and Katherine spent time with us enquiring how our day was. Our room was clean and the bed very comfortable.
"Lower your expectations...."
07/10/15 Gabriel V
I hate to steal someone else's headline but it just fit. We called ahead to secure a play pen for our 18-month old son. We were told by the male owner (I am horrible with names) that he would have it set up in our room. We arrive at 7:30pm(ish) to find out that the female owner (K?) didn't know we needed a crib and nothing was set up in our room. K talks a lot and fast. Hard to keep up with all the time. I was told then that it was an extra fee to have the pack and play for our son.... It is advertised as a Victorian, but I didn't see it. Parking is difficult - my husband had to back down the driveway and avoid the other cars that were there. We had the artist's studio. Private entrance advertised. It was in its own hallway but not to the outside. Newly renovated but there was some mold in the bathroom. No air conditioning. Small fan for the window which took some finagling to actually work. Big suggestion - get bigger fan - a ceiling fan - air conditioning. Walls were thin. I could hear the upstairs bathroom fan (I assume it was that) and noises from the kitchen (there is a locked door from the hall into the kitchen I assume). There was also a miscellaneous kitty running around - it started to play with my son and start biting him. My husband grabbed the cat but he is allergic so we had to deal with watery eyes for awhile. The hall smelled like cat urine (per my husband). Breakfast was good. We weren't there very long to walk around outside to investigate. Peak time cost was higher than what we would expect for what we got.
"The Best Bed And Breakfast EVER!"
07/09/15 Bobby C
My Wife and I spent a full week at the Acendence Harbourside Mansion B&B in Halifax. Katherine and Danny made sure we had everything we needed before asking for it. We had a different delicious breakfast morning with a starter and a main coarse. On the last day we could request anything we wanted which was very nice epically since the B&B was fully booked. The 3rd day of our stay Dan and Katherine took us to a place called Eastern Passage where we had a nice lobster dinner on a private doc and Danny's friend took us for a boat ride on old noisy it was so MUCH FUN! The room had some really nice touches such as fresh cut flowers and fancy crystal wine glasses. The driveway was not as bad as we expected according to the other reviews it was only a 2 point turn after the first time we came up we had it pretty well mastered. We are planning a trip for next summer because we want to bring our two kids.
"Lower your expectations if you stay here."
07/07/15 skippygal Hancock, Maine
Scene setting: I arrived at the normal check-in time, around 5:30 pm. (Read description of driveway from other reviews--all true. Danny will sometimes, but not always, offer to help you park or move your car). Parked where I could. The front door was wide open, but not a soul was in sight. I wandered for a while: Hello? Hello? Creepy. Finally saw a note taped to the back side of the front door (which was open and therefore the note was not apparent to me)--it had instructions and a phone number to call. Spoke to Danny, partner of Katherine/Kateria (never did quite get the name). Arranged for a 9 am breakfast. Room: Went into dimly lit room where there appeared to .....cat turds? dirt clods? on the foot of each bed. No, they were 'decorative' stones of no particular aesthetic appeal. Truly weird. Attempted to open window of stuffy room--sash was broken and window didn't stay open--propped it open with a shoe. The landline in the room wasn't working. Glass of water, perhaps, after my long 450 mile drive? No tumblers--but 2 small antique stemware glasses by bed (?). No tissues in room. Carpet filthy and stained. Positives: Beds were comfortable and the bathroom was clearly updated. WiFi reliable. Went downstairs to 'reception' area to find something to drink (water, tea). Nada. Breakfast: Appeared for breakfast at 9 am, as appointed. K 'warmly' greeted me (first face-to-face) with the following welcoming interaction: 1. I had parked in the wrong place 2. I couldn't have breakfast because i hadn't made a 'reservation' 3. OK OK you can have breakfast, but you can't sit there--you have to sit HERE! Whatcha want to eat? Do you have any allergies? We're having bacon sandwiches. Whatcha want to eat? Do you have any allergies? 4. I hadn't filled out a reception card (?) 5. You didn't see my note? ??? The 'reception' card was a xeroxed sheet of paper that looked like an insert flyer for pizza. (Note: You need actual cards). I've stayed in dozens, if not hundreds of B & Bs in my day. This rates in the lowest 10%. Danny is a kind but somewhat spacy character. K is a non-stop talker who never listens--and who will turn pitbull if you dare question her. A bit scary, actually. And easily frazzled--they both seemed overwhelmed by the task of making and serving coffee. They seem to be running it as a side business to support K's true love, the hair-extension and beauty salon service. Their hearts are not in it--and it shows. In over their heads. I think they must have bought the business from previous successful owners. Smell of cigarette smoke clings and lingers (they both smoke outside). Suggestions: You need a sideboard in the dining room where guests can make themselves, or serve themselves (from carafe) tea or coffee. All other B & Bs I've stayed in had a small coffee maker in the room. And a sideboard. The dining room table is designed for 4, not 8. Very uncomfortable. And no, telling guests that they can't have breakfast is not the solution. Need to double-check silverware (I was given a food-encrusted spoon to eat my yogurt). The breakfasts were fine (not extraordinary), but my God! The fanfare and drama! The crashing sounds coming from the kitchen! A la carte would have been preferable. We skipped breakfast our last morning. The radio is tuned to terrible commercial station, for your dining pleasure. Prediction: Out of business within a couple of years.
"Great location and price"
07/01/15 laurie317 Montreal, Quebec
Perfectly situated, just outside Halifax. One bus ride to downtown, so no need to worry about parking (although it was never an issue). Katherine and Danny are great people, and breakfasts were huge and delicious. Katherine is a wealth of information regarding the history of Halifax, and what to do and see. Room was great, comfortable, and we would definitely stay with them again on our next trip east.
"wonderful experience"
06/30/15 667luc Lachute, Quebec
The stay was human as much as there was a commercial side to it, which we did not find in any hotel before. Warm and friendly people are managing. The surroundings and driving access do demand some skill but this is part of the original land planning which is quite old. Finally, I will remember this place as very pleasing and will recommend it to friends and family whenever the opportunity will be given to do so.