All hotels in Honolulu, Hawaii, United States of America
You can collect Hotels.com® Rewards nights here1775 Ala Moana Boulevard, Honolulu, HI, 96815, United States of America, ‏‎800-491-6126

"OK"
I would rate the hotel 4.5 stars. The service all around was perfect: Front desk, concierge, pool, cleaning, were excellent help. We stayed here for 5 nights. My only major complaint: These 2 young stuck up staff members by the pool treated us as if we were not paying customers! MAJOR snobby attitude. What a turn off. We ordered food. Needed the check. Our waitress was no where to be found for over an hour! I went to up to the towel girl to ask her if we can get the check. Towel girl rolled her eyes at us, treated us as if we didn't understand english, and interrogated us on where we sat by the pool. I had my ID and my credit card on me and told her my room number so they could put it to my card/room. She still insisted on me actually repeating what i had ordered on my menu. She made my wife and i feel like we were lying and not paying customers! Incredible. The fact that I'm even writing this on a online text box on my day back from the trip... I wish these 2 people did not taint the perfect experience we had at this hotel. Also, the hotel has a popular nightclub so if you want a good nights sleep on friday or saturday night... good luck. the street is full of yelling from loud drunk frat like men and women. Not peaceful at night when they all spill out of the club...
4 night romance trip Nov 18, 2014
"Just a real nice getaway"
This was a destination wedding for a friend. Real nice. The experience was great, from walking in to checking out. Just prepare for Maui hotel prices on food and drink. There are, however, nearby bars and eateries in Wailea. Not that I'm a good golfer, but it would be nice to walk the links nearby. You can also go snorkeling right from the beach. Basically all that you would need on a getaway vacation is there. Concierge is very helpful, especially pre-trip when emailing with them about excursions and getting to the hotel from the airport.
Matthew Cody
"Great location for both beach and shopping"
It was so easy to access Waikiki beach for morning walks or sunset strolls. Ala Moana Shopping Center is a short walk away. Hotel staff were always available and attentive. We enjoyed samples of refreshments by the poolside, and free coffee every morning. The hotel design is very attractive and, well, modern!
Other trip Nov 18, 2014
"great hotel"
I book this hotel of the reviews from this site and they lived up to all expectations. The facilities and staff gets an A+. Thank you to the manager
Other trip Nov 2, 2014
kev
"Very modern and clean hotel, friendly staff."
The hotel is very modern. Mostly younger generation stays there will make me feel great to have people around the same ago around. Staff in the hotel is The hotel is about 5mjn walk to Waikiki beach, not on it but not far at all. The pool area is nice but a bit small to really swim. But bar and kitchen service at the pool area is great. Gym is good size and clean. The interior design of the room is very nice, modern and white colored with Hawaii style decoration. The bath room design in standard room is pretty interesting. I and my family had a great experience staying there
Other trip Oct 30, 2014
mike
We love staying here. Very chill and cool. Probably not great for families with kids, but as a couple it's great.
1 night romance trip Oct 21, 2014
Micha
"Great suite, walking distance to much shopping"
We loved our stay at the Modern Honolulu. The suite was awesome and very comfortable. They had a great shower. The general pool was a nice place to relax. The provided slippers were not large enough to fit my size 12 feet but it wasn't a big deal. The turn down service was a nice touch, my wife loved the complementary cookies! There is an ABC store across the street to enable you to stock up on some cheaper snacks and beverages. The partnership with the garage next store was nice to help save on nightly parking. If you walk west you'll find an enormous mall, if you walk east you will find tons of shops. The few down sides of the hotel are we paid for an ocean view suite but it wasn't direct viewing, it was off to the side, it may just be how things are defined in the industry, we had a view over a parking garage on the 16th floor, off to the side was the marina which was very nice, we could see the sunset from the balcony. Next, it's a bit of a walk to get to the real beach, you could walk down the ramp near the pool to the marina parking lot, follow the fence a little bit, enter a man made lake area, go around the lake to the beach... or you could walk down the street and cut through the Hilton Village neither are very quick but manageable. Overall we were very happy with what we got for value compared to the other hotel we booked on the island.
4 night romance trip Oct 9, 2014
"No complaints everything was perfect"
I am in the hotel business and own a 100+ room hotel at a major lake and ski area in Northern California. The staff was excellent at The Modern Honolulu and extremely courteous. I told them that I hope my staff is such when we owners are not at our property. 5 Stars to The Modern Honolulu.
Other trip Oct 15, 2014
hotel owner Tah
"Nicest hotel close to the airport!"
Good place to stay within 15-20 minutes to airport. Much better than the hour (or more sometimes) ride into Waikiki. Coffee and tea in the am - but you have to pay for that croissant! Nice pools and bar. Pricey but you get what you pay for and what you get is a very pleasant atmosphere and immaculate grounds. Would return again. Morimoto is good but again pricey. If you know good sushi from NY or other areas you may be a tad disappointed. Great room and deck though - it is a nice experience.
Other trip Oct 9, 2014
liz
"Better than a St. Regis"
My husband and I came to the modern for our first anniversary. We were beyond pleased. We've traveled all over the world and stayed in hotels famous for their service - The Modern is on par or better than the best of them. Service was absolutely impeccable, facilities were fantastic, everything was perfect. Front desk even knew our name by the time we left and this is not a small hotel. Promise you wont be disappointed. Can't wait to go back. Food is a little expensive, but typical for a nice hotel. F
Other trip Oct 8, 2014
Ashley
"Loved it"
I can't say enough about The Modern and my fantastic stay there. It was perfect. I'd recommend it to you. I have previously stayed on Waikiki, and wasn't sure about being a few blocks off. But The Modern is so perfectly situated, it's better than being on the beach. The Pool and the crew out there (say Hi to David the bartender for me!) have obviously taken some Be Really Cool pills at the start of the day, and they are. The front desk team is top of the line. The bars are all great. Even Addiction, with a bit of a rowdy crowd late-night, but still a good place to hang. I'm already looking at booking another trip in a few months. Long way to go from DC, but if it's not too obvious, I think it's worth it.
4 night romance trip Sep 24, 2014
PatricM
"Outstanding Hotel"
Greatest hotel I've every stayed at.
5 night trip Sep 21, 2014
"Friend's Hawaiian Wedding"
The pool was the best part of the hotel although we ended up spending all our day at the beach (walking distance). Valet parking is the only in and out option and it's $28 per night plus tip. We ended up mostly walking and taking cabs. Our phone was broken (unable to dial guest services) and we told the front desk but they seemed to forget to fix it. Rooms were clean and simple but pretty nice. Nice balcony. Nice bathroom accessories.
4 night trip with friends Sep 17, 2014
Kate
"Stylish Paradise"
The Modern has a fresh approach to a tropical get-away. Every area is cool, clean and subtle with a hip vibe. The pool area is wonderful and looks out to the yacht harbor and ocean; an adult pool is available as well on a private upper level with sand and tropical foliage. It is in the Waikiki area so is conveniently located for beach and water sports, but also for shopping, dining and touring.
Other trip Sep 22, 2014
Pat
"People are nice here"
little far from main street(15minutes by walk) but close to park.
Other trip Sep 20, 2014
Edwin Seok
"Perfect in every details"
Amazing place , near best points of interest , really modern , great restaurant ( chef Morimoto the best) a great place for staying
Other trip Sep 20, 2014
ricobrand
"Easy to see why this hotel is rated so high"
Perfect location, great staff, the only negative I could find is that the elevators are slow when you are on the 16th floor.
Other trip Sep 18, 2014
sinkjk
"Almost Perfect"
one little flaw was the noise. staying lower floors makes you feel a little unconfortableness whle you want to sleep since hip-place is near there. except this one thing, service, support, maintenance everything was perfect. and if you are a biggest cluber. you would love to die :)
4 night trip Sep 9, 2014
Great rooms. Hip and modern. Great drinks at poolside bar
Other trip Sep 12, 2014
marce
"Favorite Waikiki Hotel"
This was my wife's and my first visit to Waikiki, and for this short vacation (4days) all we really wanted to was unwind. The Modern was such a great choice. It doesn't feel overrun like many of the other nearby hotels, looks amazing, food, drinks and hotel amenities are top notch, and we were treated in such a VIP way there by the entire staff. Love it, recommend it, and would stay there again.
Other trip Sep 8, 2014
Scott Andreae
"Nice Place, Even with Kids"
Nice clean place. Loved the room Décor and the overall feel of the property. If my wife & I ever come to Oahu without kids in tow, this will be our hotel of choice.
1 night trip Aug 19, 2014
ACB
"Chad and Shayrans Hawaii trip"
It was great overall.
3 night business trip Aug 21, 2014
Chad
I LOVED everything about this place, from check-in (with cold towels and house pressed lemonade) to check-out the whole experience was fantastic. All the staff were so friendly and helpful, the attention to detail was amazing and the pools and grounds were just lovely. My only tip would be not to get a city view room as this was quite noisy and avoid the hotel bar later at night if you are after a quiet drink as it turns into a nightclub (entertaining for people watching however!). If you want a luxurious holiday experience this is the place to stay.
Other trip Aug 26, 2014
"Well located hotel in need of slight refinements"
The Modern is a well located hotel if you don't want to be in the heart of congested Waikiki, which is definitely attractive for business travelers who need to get to downtown Honolulu. The food and beverage service needs to be better if you want to justify luxury resort prices, the rooms are starting to show wear, and the hall and room carpets need to be replaced. Some positives: -Location: As a business traveler, The Modern is the best located property from which to access downtown Honolulu. -Free internet and water: It's a little thing, but nice not to be overcharged for internet and water. -Like the water coolers and sunscreen station at the pool -Live music: nightly live music is great. Potential improvements: -Elevators: Wait times were often way too long. Consistently waited 10+ minutes in morning and evenings. Observed one couple walk down from the 11th floor b/c they were tired of waiting. -Carpet: Common area and room carpets need replacement. Original carpet has not only worn poorly, but also seems prone to showing stains. -Rooms starting to show wear: laminate was peeling off bed, carpets dirty/fraying. -Uneven service: Some servers/staff were great, others seemed disinterested. Need better training/staffing to be on par with other resorts. -Showers leak: I had two different rooms during my stay. Both showers leaked resulting in huge puddles on the floor.
13 night family trip Aug 3, 2014
wonderful. we enjoyed it. convenient location. service is excellent. room is clean.
Other trip Aug 21, 2014
"Great hotel for a few days"
First time to Honolulu, with reservations, seeing as people told us it's like LA... Actually not at all. A little like Vegas on the beach although no gambling. Very clean and very accessible. Our hotel was well located at the north end if Waikiki. The lagoon was nice, but the beaches were awesome. Basically different beaches and sections of sea that fit your fancy. I don't like the sea, or what's in it, but even I liked going in. Very safe, clear, shallow and with or without waves, depending in which section you go to. The hotel had a great vibe, great good and service. Perfect for 4-5 nights. Would I stay here again. Yes!
4 night trip Aug 15, 2014
Adam
"Great find!"
Really liked this place. Kind of had a Hawaiiian W hotel vibe. About a mile from the "happening" part of Waikiki which is a plus orinus depending in what you are looking for. Kudos to the concierge team-all standouts!
5 night business trip Aug 8, 2014
Wendy
"Nice location near everything"
Rooms are clean and the Staff are very friendly and Accommodating ! Very good room attendants andValet service!
Other trip Aug 13, 2014
Mel
"Too modern for me."
Arrived early due to rescheduling of a flight only to be told that we would have to wait 10 hours to check in or pay for another night (it was already 4 in the morning). Paid for the extra night at the Rack Room rate (higher that what i booked for the rest of the stay on expedia). The room was clean and bright, the bed was comfortable and the bathroom was nice but the whole thing reminded me of a nice version of a dorm room or a teenage girl's room. Had to switch rooms after the first night due to noise from the street and garage across the street and had to call the dest 4 times to get this arranged. Says there is a private "beach" but there is no beach here. It is just off waikiki and the closest water is a stagnant marina. There is a small but nice pool area. The hospital staff was nice and "trendy looking" but you know if your entire staff is in their mid 20s, they likely don't have much experience running a hotel.
Other trip Aug 12, 2014
"Close to Waikiki"
clean hotel; warm, responsive staff. Daily happy hour. downside: no parking -- even while you check in
Other trip Aug 11, 2014
Cindy
This place is perfect for youngish adults, definitely upscale, small European feel.
Other trip Aug 6, 2014
My cousin got married at the Modern Honolulu and it was beautiful! Great hotel, close to the beach. Love the whole idea of the Study (lounge). The staff are excellent, very welcoming! Definitely would recommend this place!😄
cris
"Great Staff, But a Subpar Facility"
I wish I could have transported the wonderful staff to a different hotel. We were warmly welcomed, and during our entire stay, we found all staff to be friendly, professional, and very helpful. The staff did a lot of little things to make our stay better and went above and beyond to help. Unfortunately, the hotel did not match the excellent staff. The hotel is anything but "modern." It is an old building that underwent a cheap remodeling in a failed attempt to benefit from the current popularity of early 1960's retro chic. During our entire stay, the hallway lights were turned almost completely off. When we first checked in, we thought the hotel was having electrical problems. At mid-week one morning when touch up painters with headband flashlights showed up, we realized the lights were purposefully turned down to hide the poor paint job. Our room was small and decorated in a failed minimalist style that came across as juvenile correctional facility dorm room. The carpet was the thinnest and cheapest available and glued so poorly down that it was coming up in several spots. The bed was extremely lumpy and uncomfortable. The room paint job was cheap. The bathroom oddly had shutters that even when closed compromised privacy. We enjoyed the lively and fun vibe, but we did not like seeing drunk patrons of the adjoining nightclub escorted out through the hotel lobby. For the price, we could have stayed in a better hotel facility in a better location, and we were disappointed.
Other trip Aug 1, 2014
"The name says it all..great hotel"
My husband and I traveled here for a 9 day stay..Cute hotel, cute rooms, cute staff..everyone was young, professional and upbeat..No standard Hawaiian shirt staff here..the hotel was just a short walk to the beach... If you stay on the ocean front/pool side, you get a killer view of the beach, harbor and Friday night fire works show..the hotel is just outside of the hustle and bustle of the city so you can miss the bulk of the crowds.. But still close enough to where you can walk to it if you want.. The hotel restaurant Morimoto was AMAZING (have the spicy king crab appetizer) and at the pool bar, the frozen coconut mojito was to die for..also, the "study" hotel lounge has great local talent that comes in and performs live music a few days a week, the same for the hotel pool..this hotel was the ultimate hangout.. However, Honolulu was not short of cool places to hang out.. Beware, nothing is cheap at the hotel so bring lots of cash for a good time.. :) It will be worth it.. There were children at the hotel, but it seemed like more of an adult only hotel to me.. I would definitely recommend this hotel if you like chic, modern, contemporary design and want to relax and have the option to party all in one place.. I hope this helps :) Safe travels
Other trip Jul 28, 2014
KRob
"Amazing!!!!"
My husband and I went to Hawaii for our honeymoon/one year anniversary. The Modern staff was amazing & made our entire experience wonderful. They helped us arrange accommodations & gave us great ideas of what & where to go.
Other trip Jul 26, 2014
Sally
"Awesome Hotel"
The hotel staff was wonderful, the location was great!
Other trip Jul 26, 2014
"Chic experiences and great service"
Guest service is more than accommodating. Sensory delights and surprises, like hallways smelling of plumeria, trendy electro-chill music, fresh spa water and pineapple around the adult pool, were icing on the cake. Plenty of complementary items ranging from a shaving kit to a Keureg coffee maker for in room. Complementary morning coffee offered in the study. Parking is expensive, but if you park at the harbor, you can save. The hotel is not on the beach, and even the best vantage points are obstructed by the boats in harbor or other hotels. It is a short easy walk to the beach. The Modern is located in a very convienent location for shopping and eateries. Morimoto, located on site is delicious, but tiny alacart portions and quite expensive. Service was fantastic. The Adult pool/bar is only a foot deep, but is perfect for sunning. The drinks are great (Modern Mule or the frozen Coconut Mojito). The main pool is great, but quite crowded. The out door spaces are beautiful and for me the highlight of the stay. Nice breezy lounging areas are everywhere. The rooms are comfortable and minimalist in design. Almost no privacy in the restroom, due to open privacy shutters, which do nothing to contain sounds or oders. But the water pressure in the spacious shower and the unique toilitries were fantastic. Turn down service is very nice to come back to. Full ice bucket, cookies and stocked waterbottles. Overall, I would recommend this beautiful property.
Other trip Jul 19, 2014
"Nice Stay at a Top Notch Hotel"
We are not used to being this well taken care of when we vacation. The staff was excellent. They were helpful on many occasions during our stay. I would recommend the Modern Honolulu to anyone with only one caveat, there are a number of charges that one could incur that you might not anticipate. That said, that were many more perks that we did not expect.
Other trip Jul 18, 2014
"An oasis in Waikiki"
Hip, modern and offering great service, The Modern is perfect for people who want to be near Waikiki without being overwhelmed. The rooms are well designed, the amenities are great, the pool is chill and Morimoto's is excellent. There's no direct access to the beach, but that's a small price to pay for sanity!
4 night business trip Jul 7, 2014
Matt H.
"Will stay here again"
Overall I was very pleased with The Modern hotel and staff. House keeping was by far my favorite. They were so sweet and professional. The best part was getting little extra surprises that you would expect from a 5 diamond hotel. Like hot and dry towels in the gym as well as fresh jumbo green apples for after your workout. Compline try snacks and cold sunscreen at poolside. Oceanview from every room patio. Highly recommend this hotel ad can't wait to stay here again!
4 night trip Jul 7, 2014
"Perfect for business"
If you're not into the crowdedness of waikiki beach and need to be in the middle of honolulu, this is your spot. clean, nice pool, and poolside bar is all youll need.
4 night business trip May 17, 2014
Mark Fatlace
"..."
Modern Honululu was just that, very modern. It was a nice hotel with friendly staff. Nothing special nothing bad. The Study bar was a nice touch. It's location leaves a lot to be desired. Not a lot of local food or stores. I would stay there again if the price was right.
2 night romance trip Jul 4, 2014
"Beautiful pool and great location!"
Upon arrival the hotel staff was very accommodating. We loved the sunrise pool and bar with live music in the evening and Ben the bartender at the Sunset pool was awesome. Also turn down service with Hawaiian cookie company cookies was a great touch, the location is perfect down by the Marina, the main bars and restaurants of Waikiki are walkable by beach or road but you feel as if you aren't amidst all the noise which is great!
4 night trip Jul 3, 2014
"Great hospitality"
Absolutely loved it! Room was great, service was great, food and drinks were great! Loved that housekeeping came by twice daily to check on the room and restock water and anything else that was needed.
"Nice hotel and great location"
Hotel had great food, clean rooms and a ton of amenities. Just make sure you get a room that is not adjacent to the elevators, otherwise, you're going to hear it quite a bit when in your room.
Other trip Jul 1, 2014
Would stay at the Modern again - a wonderful experience. The customer service was outstanding.
Other trip Jun 29, 2014
"as rated before was bad."
already sent it to you PLS CHANGE THE SURVEY AS /////// AFTER THE CHECK OUT THE PARKING WASNT CHARGE (IT MUST BE DUE THAT THE ROOM WASNT READY TILL 4,30 PM)
Other trip Jun 25, 2014
DARIO
"bad reception for Elite status"
arrived at 10.30 am and ask AS ELITE for a possibility to an early check in which was impossible before 3 pm asking for upgrade same answer, (I left my cel. number to be called asap a room possible but nothing) she told me to wait as my son was with fiever and tired to get a room asap but till 2.40 pm nothing(4HRS WAITING) even claiming 3 times ,but all the customers got the keys before that when I shout and finally received the keys very cold atmosphere for Hawai next day till 3.40 pm the room wanst cleaned ,but done after 3 claims never more this hotel
Other trip Jun 24, 2014
DARIO
"Nice hotel and only 4 min walk to beach!"
The hotel was very clean updated and the staff was impeccable!! Met all of our needs! Pool side was great along with the good!
Other trip Jun 23, 2014
Outgoing!
"Great boutique hotel at edge of Waikiki"
My husband and I stayed at The Modern for 4 days. Located at the edge of Waikiki, it's within a few minutes' walk of Ala Moana Beach Park and Ala Moana Shopping Center. It's just beyond (but not too far from) the madness of Waikiki. We were there during the grand Kamehameha Day Parade, and we just had to step out of the hotel and sit on the curb in the shade of a banyan tree for front-row seats. The room was very comfortable, with not-loud-at-all air conditioning plus a lanai (a balcony/veranda) with a view of the ocean. The room was white and bright -- and modern. (But beware of the platform bed: we have black-and-blue ankles from hitting the corners of the platform on which the mattress lay.) The large shower even had a retractable clothes line to hang wet swimsuits. The unexpected nice touches -- slippers and bathrobes laid out, ono (delicious) cookies on the pillow, ice in the water bucket and free bottles of water -- when we returned in the evening made us feel so welcome. There are two pools on different levels -- one for families with kids that is deep enough to swim in, the other just for adults who want to float in the 8" deep water. Staff was pleasant; the valet staff was top notch, which made the valet parking quite palatable. We look forward to staying at The Modern when we return to Honolulu.
Other trip Jun 19, 2014