All hotels in Reading, England, United Kingdom

Bar is awesome
    Quite clean
    Poor vibe
    Bad amenities
"Do you want flies with that?"
Good location near all the shopping and 10 mins from the rail station. Busy hotel brs but the rooms were well away from the noise. Slightly tired decor, but everything worked. Reception lady very friendly and helpful. Only negative was that the maid had left the room window wide open (it was a beautiful day, and no air conditioning) and the room was full of flies...not the biting kind, just a nuisance.
1 night romance trip Sep 29, 2015
"Perfect for visitors to U of Reading"
This hotel is located on the bus line to U of Reading. Also, it is an easy walk to Reading Station.
Other trip Apr 23, 2015
"Historic hotel in the heart of Reading"
Funky hotel above a pub. Services a cook to order full English breakfast with your room. Rooms are not fancy, but tough to beat for the price. Pub has a Dickens theme with several alcoves that aren't loud, and there is even one snooker table. Thursday night is quiz night.
2 night business trip Apr 1, 2015
Old and not very clean. Good size room though. Directly above a pub with paper thin walls
Other trip Mar 3, 2015
"Just about onay"
Check in staff wee great. However, the room was poor, it wasn't clean. Carpet stained, the walls had holes in them. The room was noisy you could hear the TV from nearby rooms. The breakfast staff were very slow ages to take order and bring breakfast. Have to ask for service.
1 night business trip Jan 28, 2015
"A little work, but a good experience."
The stairs are a bit much when you are taking your luggage to your room, but the personnel were friendly and helpful. The room wasn't large, but very clean and neat. It is very close to the train station.
1 night trip Oct 30, 2014
"Cosy hotel close to downtown"
Other than a little tear on the wallpaper, it was a nice and clean room, and I loved the cosy little breakfast room
Other trip Sep 23, 2014
Yousef
"Could be really nice."
Had charm, good location and friendly and accommodating staff. Room was comfortable and spacious, but needed serious update! Carpet in bad condition and wasn't clean. (Staff in charge of cleaning was negligent.) When brought to their attention, staff came quickly to vacuum, but that didn't correct the sad appearance. Bed comfortable, but had to ask staff to contact facility next door to tone down noise from Saturday night band or close their windows. That was handled quickly. Hallways and stairs to rooms were very hot and stuffy. Excellent breakfast!
Other trip Aug 2, 2014
Toni
breakfast was good. More instructions to find hotel in busy city centrewould be helpful. Hotel on one way street. The night we stayed it was noisy at the front ..late evening. Hotel management sorted it
Other trip Jul 17, 2014
"A Great Location for My Visit"
This was me second stay at the historic Great Expectations. As with many British hotels there are lots of stairs to climb. The room was comfortable, the water hot, Wi-Fi solid, and the cooked breakfast well above average. The place can be a little noisy before midnight due to the entertainment in the bar or, on this trip, the World Cup. As I needed to be two blocks south of the hotel, the location was great. It is an easy walk to the railway station, Oracle and other shopping.
3 night trip Jun 12, 2014
Rush Gook
Original flight was cancelled and I arrived very early the next day, the staff was very helpful.
Other trip May 22, 2014
D
"Good breakfast but not recommended"
Very disappointing. Tiny, ugly, inconvenient room. Tiny work surface with no work light, so no good for road warriors. Often indifferent service. Hotel is attached to a noisy bar so don't expect to be able to get to sleep until after midnight. Hotel reception is at the far end of the bar, so checking in during drinking hours is no treat. Only positive is the complimentary cooked-to-order full English breakfast. And Dickens fans will enjoy the ubiquitous Dickensiana in the breakfast/bar area in honour of his having once visited this haven of hospitality.
5 night business trip Apr 2, 2014
"Great Expectations - Not disappointed"
We loved the pub atmosphere. The stairs could have been difficult with our luggage but the staff helped and we managed by ourselves on the way down. Great location - we were close to the town central and ALL the venues. Easy to catch buses and easy to and from the trains.
Other trip Mar 30, 2014
"Well-worn but pleasant."
I stayed here for 9 nights while doing research at the University of Reading and overall found it to be an enjoyable experience. The hotel's location is great and the staff were very helpful and friendly. The Dickens-themed bar downstairs is a nice place to have a quiet pint or get some work done, and a good cooked breakfast is included in the price of the room. I found my room to be well-worn and quite basic but comfortable and clean. Some of the facilities could use a little updating--in particular, the water in the shower tended to fluctuate in temperature quite a bit. Also, just a warning if you have mobility limitations or things like baby strollers to lug around all the time: this could be a challenge because the rooms are up at least a couple of flights of stairs and I don't believe they have a lift. Overall, I enjoyed my stay, and would recommend it if you want a cheap room/breakfast in central Reading.
Other trip Feb 23, 2014
Emily
"Expectations Not Fully Realised"
I realize that this is an owner run establishment and recognize that challenges that go with that. However, with such a great building in a perfect location this hotel would benefit from a big investment and update such as TVs that work, telephones in the room, and redecorating bedrooms and bathrooms. The staff was friendly and the breakfast was INCREDIBLE but while "mate" and "cheers" may communicate character the use of "sir" and "thank you" would help to communicate class.
Other trip Jan 10, 2014
My girlfriend and I were in Reading for the weekend to do some shopping and we had booked to do a food course at Yo! Sushi. The hotel was great because it was very central (only a 5 minute walk from the bars and restaurants) and it had a great relaxed atmosphere. The food was excellent and I would recommend it to anyone visiting Reading.
Other trip Aug 27, 2013
It would have been a much better stay if we were given the room that i booked.It was our 35th wedding anniversary so booked the four poster bedroom.when we checked in we were put in a double room but were then up graded to a family room.I felt like crying as this was supposed to be a special treat.
Other trip Jul 2, 2013

The following English reviews were posted by hotel guests from other countries:

"Take cleaning cloths"
This hotel was lovely but needed a good clean,dust everywhere unbelievable dust behind units,glasses dirty. It was a pity because it is a really great place to stay. To many young boys serving and doing the beds no structure. Breakfast really good .would stay but would take my cleaning cloths with me. Also no picture on tv only one channel.
1 night family trip Apr 2, 2016
"Not impressive"
Don`t expect to much service from the occational hired bar help/receptionist.
5 night business trip Mar 13, 2016
Very good
1 night business trip Mar 31, 2016
Oluwayemisi
"Not bad at all."
staff were excellent, hotel looked a little past its prime, could use a lick of paint, but the room was great.
2 night business trip Jan 18, 2016
Very good
3 night business trip Jan 5, 2016
Alexander
"Modest Expectations"
Meal was typical Pub Grub - acceptable but not memorable. Beer choices very good. Breakfast was good. Very handy for the town shops and restaurants. Biggest issue was the fact that there is no parking and there was limited on street parking.
1 night business trip Dec 15, 2015
Mr Mark G
"Almost perfect!!!!"
Stay unplanned due to family bereavement . . . Hotel situated ideally . . .to repeat - staff were exceptionally obliging and continually helpful beyond 'duty' . . . Wee bit of concern over antiquated shower and lack of shelving in bathroom . . .We would stay here again without doubt.
2 night family trip Dec 2, 2015
"Can t fault hotel, bar or staff"
Cheap , clean , good boozer
1 night trip Oct 31, 2015
graham
"This hotel is over rated"
Staff performance was non existence. Because there was no lift I was informed that staff would bring our bags up to our room, some two hours latter I went down stairs and bought them up myself. Even though I had recently had a stroke.
Other trip Oct 23, 2015
Trevor
"Great expectations pub hotel"
For the price it's great the staff was friendly the pub was good breakfast was really good, room was good can't complain at all
1 night romance trip Sep 12, 2015
"Good location for the Oracle Shopping Centre"
The room has been recently redecorated and is of an adequate size. The base of the shower could do with a good clean and there was some late night noise from the pub downstairs. The staff were helpful and friendly and the breakfast good and plentiful.
1 night business trip Aug 13, 2015
"Great Expectations, Reading"
Rooms had much better decor than shown in pics on website, and quite nice for a budget price. Friendly staff, and a good breakfast. Bar area a fun place to have a drink. The neighbourhood is rather noisy. However, I would stay there again.
1 night family trip Jul 11, 2015
"Tom at the relaxinns"
Not overly impressed. The place needs some work.
1 night business trip Jul 14, 2015
tom
staff very, very helpful and friendly. Quirky hotel with lots of stairs, but hotel staff will usually help with bags. Comfortable room - a bit old fashioned but good bathroom. clean and comfy. only a few minutes walk to centre of reading and about 10 minutes to rail. free breakfast is great, and good bar food in the evenings. I've stayed here a few times. good value for money for this location
1 night trip Jul 8, 2015
Excellent staff. Biggest drawback is there's no lift, if having luggage#s it would be very difficult. Staff helped us to keep the our luggage's downstairs.
1 night family trip Jul 3, 2015
"OK for 1 or 2 nights"
Bed was clean and comfortable. Breakfast was excellent. Noisy till about 00:30
1 night business trip Jun 25, 2015
"Pleasant"
Pleasant central Reading accomodation with nice pub below
1 night business trip Jun 11, 2015
Shak
"clean and comfortable"
I stayed in a single room that was great - super clean and spacious with a very comfortable bed. It was well maintained with nice bedding. Very good value for money. The staff weren't especially friendly, but comfort and cleanliness is more important to me than that. It was upstairs in a pub, but noise wasn't a problem at all - even on a Saturday night. I would stay again if I happened to be in Reading.
1 night trip May 16, 2015
"Cheap and clean"
The hotel is over a busy bar but noise wasn't noticeable (once i shut the window). I used this hotel as a stopping point on a long journey and needed late check in and when phoning the hotel on the day the guys at reception were great and I had no problems checking in once i got there gone midnight. The bed was very comfy and the room clean but the shower was cold, didn't matter how far round i turned to hot I had a cold shower. Also breakfast i had a veggie breakfast and it was bit naff, 2 fried eggs, tomatoes, beans and mushrooms with toast; a veggie sausage would have been nice or a choice of eggs (i don't particularly like fried eggs) and the woman serving breakfast was a bit grumpy. But plenty of tea/coffee/fruit juices avaliable with a selection of cereal avaliable too.Considering I paid £45 for the night I am really happy with my stay, and close to the oracle which is a huge bonus!
1 night trip with friends May 9, 2015
Joanna
"Enjoyed my stay"
The hotel's in a great location right near the centre of Reading (by the Casino), and the staff were very friendly. There were a lot of stairs so if that troubles you, be sure to ring ahead. The room was a bit dated but was completely fine for the night, and good value for the price.
1 night trip with friends Mar 20, 2015
Alex
"Great place with character!"
It was great! We were in Reading from the US for a family visit and found this a wonderful place for our two-room group to enjoy with the Pub, breakfast and more. There was a bit of noise during the night from the back alley, but overall a great property to hang your hat for a night or two.
1 night family trip Apr 14, 2015
Maura
"Excellent value"
Very welcoming and great value. Close to the Oracle and Town Centre as well as having a lively pub downstairs. I have to give a big thumbs up for the breakfast. Definitely one of the best I've had in years of travelling and everything on the full English was tasty and well cooked. Would stay again without a doubt.
2 night trip Mar 27, 2015
william
"Do not recommend!"
The place was not clean and it is very old. I do not recommend staying there and I will not stay there in future.
1 night business trip Mar 11, 2015
Nikolay
"The dirtiest place I've ever stayed!"
I've stayed at many places in world and I'm from Bulgaria and know what is a dirty place but this beat my expectation of dirtiest places I can imagine! Тhe water in the kettle for heating was half full when enter the room and had mold in it. The toilet was not cleaned from previews stay and everything was so dirty! Hopefully, the sheets was clean otherwise I considered to stay on the street! Even in Bulgaria such kind of hotel will be closed by corresponding institutions! I can understand if this was a hut, but paying 100 pounds and stay in such hotel seems a crime :). Guys, have NO expectations from Great Expectations hotel!
1 night business trip Mar 11, 2015
Nikolay
"Good value stay"
Like other reviewers I thought there were a few maintenance issues to deal with, but as the hotel had the decorators in whilst I was there, perhaps other travellers will find things in better order. Highlights were the helpful friendly staff and good straightforward food. My room had some design issues which would make it difficult to clean really thoroughly, but it was comfortable enough and good value.
2 night business trip Feb 22, 2015
"Disappointingly poor"
Very poor on this occasion. Stayed for several nights the towels were not changed despite leaving them on the floor, towels put on the the rails. Disgusting. The bed sheets were not changed either the bed was barely made. The floor hasn't been cleaned. Had all of the pieces from the bed. The rooms generally are noisy you can hear the tv next door. The one thing I haven't been able to fault is the services but on this occasion it was slow and poor on a few of the days
1 night business trip Feb 9, 2015
Satnam
"Good location to the centre of town"
This hotel was fine to stay in for what we were after. We wanted to spend the night drinking cocktails and having dinner at Las Iguanas, without having to make much of a journey to our beds afterwards. The location of Great Expectations suited us perfectly for this. The room was nice, spacious and clean. Breakfast was good and filling. However, three negative comments...: 1. The hotel don't seem to provide any soap/shampoo/shower gel. The shampoo and shower gel are, I suppose, ok not to provide... but soap? Isn't that just a standard thing provided now? 2. The rooms are set above a busy pub, so don't expect the most quiet night's sleep! 3. Parking is a bit of a pain. We parked outside after 8pm which is free, but only until 8am. It meant having to wake up earlier just to top up the parking meter, which was a tad annoying.
Other trip Feb 6, 2015
Alice
"Mr"
A mixed bag. Full marks to the staff, who were ever ready to help. As there was no lift, I’d have had to climb two steep flights of stairs to the room originally assigned to us, a major task with my bad leg. However we were transferred with little fuss to a room with twin beds on the first floor – perfect. Breakfast too carried no surprises and was quite satisfactory. The main ‘let-down’ was the noisy plumbing! There was also some revelry on the first night but it ended (around midnight) just as I was bracing myself for a sleepless night and turned out to be a ‘one-off’. All in all, I’d rate our stay as very good value at the price.
3 night romance trip Jan 6, 2015
noel
"Great value and convenient"
I needed to be in central Reading and find somewhere inexpensive and this place was perfect even though it has no parking. When I arrived the staff were fabulously friendly and helpful. The room, although described as superb on the website, was far from that. The decor was shabby and the mattress a very cheap one but it's not less than I expected for the price to be honest. In the morning the waitress at breakfast wasn't great, minimal eye contact and quite dour, but the breakfast itself was lavish and tasty. I didn't get to try the bar out but it looked fun and quirky and I love the whole Dickens theme. According to Expedia I'd have to show photo ID on arrival and leave my room by 10am on the Sunday - neither of these points was accurate. Check out time was 11am, and breakfast is served until 10. Recommended.
Other trip Dec 20, 2014
"Good hotel in the main"
Nice hotel nice staff great breakfast though selection for vegetarians limited Well located noisy fan
1 night business trip Nov 19, 2014
"Nice hotel, well located in Reading"
great hotel, room a little noisy, plugs in weird places, breakfast took a little longer than expected
1 night business trip Nov 18, 2014
"Expect Allright"
Well located, close to Reading station and market place. There is pub at the ground floor, but during my weekdays stay it was quite. They got decent speed Internet and breakfast is good too.
2 night business trip Nov 11, 2014
"Relax in Reading"
Food was good. Staff were friendly and helpful. Would definitely use this hotel again.
1 night family trip Oct 29, 2014