All hotels in Strathpeffer, Scotland, United Kingdom
Contin, Ross-shire, Strathpeffer, Scotland, IV14 9ES, United Kingdom, ‏‎800-491-6126

4.8
    4.8
"A gem away from the fray"
We came for a one-night stay. We fell in love with the ambience and comfort and inquired about staying a second night. Classy but not stuffy, very helpful staff, service was excellent, owners are genuinely proud and roll up their sleeves to help guests feel at home, and here you do indeed. The meals in the restaurant were freshly and very exquisitely prepared and presented. We felt pampered during our stay. There are great trails and a neat waterfall nearby.
Other trip Sep 6, 2014
An excellent country house hotel with quality across all the services you expect from a top rate hotel.
Other trip Jun 19, 2013
Fantastic place, awesome. The fireplace, the house, the owners, the Whisky, the food, the location - incredible nice.
Other trip Nov 12, 2012

"A Scottish country house hotel experience"
Very beautiful hotel in a perfect location and quiet surroundings. Nice airy lounges to read books, enjoy fires, and drink afternoon teas (afternoon teas are perfect there!). Wines were good. Food was excellent! Professional staff. We absolutely loved our stay.
2 night romance trip Jun 6, 2015
"Lovely setting"
We have stayed here a number of times and always receive a warm welcome. The restaurant is particularly good although the waiting staff showed some inexperience. Overall we would recommend this hotel.
1 night trip with friends Jun 4, 2015
"Can't wait to visit again"
I had the most enjoyable experience staying the Coul House. All of the staff was extremely friendly and thanks to their pet policy, my holiday with my dog was very enjoyable.
Other trip Oct 1, 2014
Lyz
"Simply wonderful"
This hotel is a shining example to others. Everything is super. The service is excellent, staff lovely, food excellent. Ambiance is relaxing. Location not bad either! Country house hotel at its best, without any of the stuffiness. As as solo traveller I felt very comfortable. I will make a point of returning. No complaints whatsoever.
Other trip Sep 15, 2014
Granny
"1st visit, wouldn't hesitate to return!"
Lovely location, warm welcome, friendly/efficient staff, excellent dining........only a fleeting 1 night visit however it was very enjoyable and I am happy to say I wouldn't hesitate to, and will, return. Thanks to all at Coul House!
Other trip Jul 26, 2014
Graeme
"Splendid"
What a gem . From the warm and friendly owners and staff to the beautiful evening meal. The best mushroom soup (probably) is to be had here. Room was very pretty with comfortable bed. This is the place to stay in this area , don't miss it.
Other trip Apr 17, 2014
susan
"Nice country hotel with excellent food & staff"
Lovely Country House Hotel with excellent food and friendly helpful staff. The owner We will be back!
Other trip Apr 14, 2014
"Beautiful hotel."
A beautiful hotel set in equally beautiful grounds. I stayed for one night and was extremely impressed with the service of the staff who were very friendly, helpful and professional. The room was very nice with a beautiful view of the grounds. Dinner and breakfast were excellent. I would definitely return again in the future on my travels up to Scotland.
1 night trip Aug 21, 2013
"Very pleasant stay"
I stayed here recently on business. I don't usually review hotels but I was very impressed by the welcoming staff who went out of their way to make my short stay very pleasant. The hotel itself is a bit dated but I think it adds to it's character. Beds are very comfortable and the breakfast was delicious- particularly the coffee. Overall I had a lovely nights sleep and I will be staying here again if there are vacancies!
1 night business trip Aug 21, 2013
tealover
"Elegant luxury"
Our stay at the Coul House was excellent from the welcome when we arrived, through some good meals to our departure. The hotel is a grand stately home but very casual and friendly. Nothing is too much trouble for the family owners and staff and it is encouraging to see that staff have been there for some time. The location is excellent for sightseeing and mountain biking and there is indoor storage for bikes. The gardens and grounds were superb and it's clear that a lot of work has been done to make them appeal to a wide range of guests.
2 night trip Jul 10, 2013
"Overnight at Coul House Contin"
Thoroughly enjoyed my stay. The owners have embarked on a labour of love in renovating and restoring this beautiful old country house and are bringing it into 21st century. Staff are extremely polite but not over-friendly and are only surpassed by the quality of food provided at excellent prices.
1 night business trip Jul 10, 2013
linden
Brilliant hotel lovely food wonderful welcome .Would recommend to any one.
1 night trip Jan 12, 2013
"Good hotel"
Pleasant stay in a good hotel
Other trip Oct 2, 2012

"Wunderschönes altes Gebäude, liebevoll restauriert"
Wir haben uns hier sehr wohl gefühlt, die Gegend ist schön und die Küche gut.
Other trip Sep 24, 2014
Ingrid
DE
Très bon accueil, très beau cadre, très bon repas. La chambre était trop petite. Mais les hotes étaient très aimables et serviables. Le petit déjeuner excellent et copieux. Le pain fait maison comme tout d'ailleurs. Excellent souvenir. A recommander !
2 night romance trip Nov 6, 2012
Alan
FR
Other trip Sep 25, 2013

TripAdvisor reviews for Coul House Hotel

"Charming country house"
08/30/15 JenniferMAtlantaGA The Woodlands, Texas
Like visiting a beloved (wealthy) aunt at her home in the Scottish countryside! Perfect (too short) overnight stay during a whirlwind visit to The Highlands. Coul House was a very pleasant find. Owners made us very welcome from our first impression with log fire in the reception area to the last moment of departure. Evening meal very good. 10 out of 10 for ambiance and relaxation. Beautifully kept grounds with many mature trees. Great night's sleep with silence and then awakened to the sounds of nature to start the day, followed by a great breakfast. Well trained, attentive and friendly staff. Updating of house very tastefully done. Best stay of our two week visit to Scotland.
"The best."
08/29/15 moses1111tt
Went for the family wedding of Claire and Eamonn.Beautiful setting,very good food and a sense of tranquility.This is a place for luxury at its best.Will never forget the weekend.Would like to come back every month for a break.We will see !!!
"Coul House Hotel"
08/19/15 John F
The Coul House was recommended to us by a very helpful Receptionist at the nearby Tulloch Castle Hotel, who did not have any rooms available. She went to the trouble of phoning and booking for us. Above and beyond the call of duty! Thank you. The hotel is simply lovely, with fabulous grounds to explore. The room was clean and welcoming with a comfortable bed. The food superb. We will definitely be back for more Scottish hospitality here. Many thanks to all of the staff.
"Fantastic"
08/18/15 PaulB67 London, United Kingdom
I have dined at Coul House many times over the past few years when visiting my parents. It is a lovely old house, tastefully renovated with a beautiful dining room which enjoys views over the garden. The owners and staff could not be more lovely and attentive and the food is always excellent. The home made tablet served with after dinner coffee is worth the visit by itself ! Highly recommended.
"Another wonderful lunch"
08/13/15 Mofos Dingwall, United Kingdom
Coul is becoming a regular occurrence for us.It is always consistently great value for money.The tea sandwiches and cream scones are delicious and you get the most delicate shortbread and tablet as an extra bonus. The staff could not be more helpful and friendly.It's a must tea stop for my friends and me.
"Charming and a true country house hotel"
08/10/15 CandidCanda London
Just perfect throughout our stay. The hotel is beautifully appointed, sympathetically renovated and tastefully decorated. Even the gardens our beautiful and original. We were warmly welcomed and received discreet and outstanding hospitality. The food and wine were excellent too. We had a memorable stay and can strongly recommend this hotel. The other couple we were with, shared our enthusiasm for the hotel.
"Lovely !"
08/10/15 L R El Dorado Hills, California
We stayed for two nights and had a wonderful time here. Elegant hotel, with gracious staff, beautifully decorated first floor, and lovely gardens. Nice room and bathroom. Good breakfast. Very highly recommend.
"Wonderful !"
08/09/15 lovelyworldgoseeit california
My wife and I stayed here two nights during a July 2015 trip to Scotland. The grounds and hotel are beautiful; the owners are gracious; the food is good; and the room was very clean with a modern bathroom. The downstairs is particularly picturesque, and you get a feeling of being in a stately Scottish manor house. It was a quiet, relaxing, uplifting experience. We enjoyed walking through the garden, meeting the owners dogs, seeing a pheasant and rabbits in the adjoining field, watching the Gaelic television stations, and watching the International Sheepdog Competition on TV. Highly recommend this hotel.
"One of the best"
07/26/15 comrade98 scotland
We picked Coul House based purely on location, it is handy for some hills that we wanted to climb. What a find. I was thoroughly impressed. A stunning old house, beautifully restored and looked after. Excellent service and attention to detail. Top class food. Excellent value for money. I have stayed at many hotels in Scotland, and the quality of country hotels can be pretty variable. Coul House is one of the best hotels I have stayed at in Scotland.
"Beautiful and Unpretentious in the Highlands"
07/24/15 engeljw New York City, New York
I loved this hotel. It's an old Georgian mansion that has been beautifully retrofitted into a hotel. Rooms are modest but pleasant; the public spaces are comfortable and warm. The grounds are exquisite -- beautiful gardens, towering trees, friendly cows -- it was a joy to look out of our room window in the morning. Service was gracious and friendly, and food served in the restaurant on premises was delicious and attractive. Truly a bit of paradise in the Scottish Highlands. Well worth the 15-minute drive from Inverness.