All hotels in Strathpeffer, Scotland, United Kingdom
You can collect Hotels.com® Rewards nights hereContin, Ross-shire, Strathpeffer, Scotland, IV14 9ES, United Kingdom, ‏‎800-491-6126

4.8
    4.9
"A gem away from the fray"
We came for a one-night stay. We fell in love with the ambience and comfort and inquired about staying a second night. Classy but not stuffy, very helpful staff, service was excellent, owners are genuinely proud and roll up their sleeves to help guests feel at home, and here you do indeed. The meals in the restaurant were freshly and very exquisitely prepared and presented. We felt pampered during our stay. There are great trails and a neat waterfall nearby.
Other trip Sep 6, 2014
An excellent country house hotel with quality across all the services you expect from a top rate hotel.
Other trip Jun 19, 2013
Fantastic place, awesome. The fireplace, the house, the owners, the Whisky, the food, the location - incredible nice.
Other trip Nov 12, 2012

"Can't wait to visit again"
I had the most enjoyable experience staying the Coul House. All of the staff was extremely friendly and thanks to their pet policy, my holiday with my dog was very enjoyable.
Other trip Oct 1, 2014
Lyz
"Simply wonderful"
This hotel is a shining example to others. Everything is super. The service is excellent, staff lovely, food excellent. Ambiance is relaxing. Location not bad either! Country house hotel at its best, without any of the stuffiness. As as solo traveller I felt very comfortable. I will make a point of returning. No complaints whatsoever.
Other trip Sep 15, 2014
Granny
"1st visit, wouldn't hesitate to return!"
Lovely location, warm welcome, friendly/efficient staff, excellent dining........only a fleeting 1 night visit however it was very enjoyable and I am happy to say I wouldn't hesitate to, and will, return. Thanks to all at Coul House!
Other trip Jul 26, 2014
Graeme
"Splendid"
What a gem . From the warm and friendly owners and staff to the beautiful evening meal. The best mushroom soup (probably) is to be had here. Room was very pretty with comfortable bed. This is the place to stay in this area , don't miss it.
Other trip Apr 17, 2014
susan
"Nice country hotel with excellent food & staff"
Lovely Country House Hotel with excellent food and friendly helpful staff. The owner We will be back!
Other trip Apr 14, 2014
"Beautiful hotel."
A beautiful hotel set in equally beautiful grounds. I stayed for one night and was extremely impressed with the service of the staff who were very friendly, helpful and professional. The room was very nice with a beautiful view of the grounds. Dinner and breakfast were excellent. I would definitely return again in the future on my travels up to Scotland.
1 night trip Aug 21, 2013
"Very pleasant stay"
I stayed here recently on business. I don't usually review hotels but I was very impressed by the welcoming staff who went out of their way to make my short stay very pleasant. The hotel itself is a bit dated but I think it adds to it's character. Beds are very comfortable and the breakfast was delicious- particularly the coffee. Overall I had a lovely nights sleep and I will be staying here again if there are vacancies!
1 night business trip Aug 21, 2013
tealover
"Elegant luxury"
Our stay at the Coul House was excellent from the welcome when we arrived, through some good meals to our departure. The hotel is a grand stately home but very casual and friendly. Nothing is too much trouble for the family owners and staff and it is encouraging to see that staff have been there for some time. The location is excellent for sightseeing and mountain biking and there is indoor storage for bikes. The gardens and grounds were superb and it's clear that a lot of work has been done to make them appeal to a wide range of guests.
2 night trip Jul 10, 2013
"Overnight at Coul House Contin"
Thoroughly enjoyed my stay. The owners have embarked on a labour of love in renovating and restoring this beautiful old country house and are bringing it into 21st century. Staff are extremely polite but not over-friendly and are only surpassed by the quality of food provided at excellent prices.
1 night business trip Jul 10, 2013
linden
Brilliant hotel lovely food wonderful welcome .Would recommend to any one.
1 night trip Jan 12, 2013
"Good hotel"
Pleasant stay in a good hotel
Other trip Oct 2, 2012
"A beautiful escape in the country"
This is a long-term project by the owners, who have spent years bringing the hotel back from what sounded like a ruin ( they usefully give you annual "progress reports" from the start in you room index, which makes fascinating reading). in my opinion, they are succeeding magnificently! The service is efficient and friendly, the food is varied, delicious and well-presented, and the rooms are immaculately maintained. The bar/lounge area (which opens onto the large gardens) stocks a wide variety of local beers and spirits, supporting local businesses, and is a good place to relax before going in to dinner. There is a 9- hole putting range on the front "lawn", which is free for guests" but if you don't want such strenuous activity, a walk around the grounds is interesting in itself, with extensive, well-maintained gardens including a rane of exotic mature trees, such as giant sequoias and Douglas firs (helpfully labelled)! The hotel has magnificent views over the mountains and if you have more time, there are many walking trails which may be accessed from the hoel
1 night business trip Jul 31, 2012

"Wunderschönes altes Gebäude, liebevoll restauriert"
Wir haben uns hier sehr wohl gefühlt, die Gegend ist schön und die Küche gut.
Other trip Sep 24, 2014
Ingrid
DE
Très bon accueil, très beau cadre, très bon repas. La chambre était trop petite. Mais les hotes étaient très aimables et serviables. Le petit déjeuner excellent et copieux. Le pain fait maison comme tout d'ailleurs. Excellent souvenir. A recommander !
2 night romance trip Nov 6, 2012
FR

TripAdvisor reviews for Coul House Hotel

"First class!"
05/25/15 Eric K
The staff at Coul House are absolutely first class. Nothing too much trouble but it's all in a low key unassuming way. My wife and I went for a long weekend (23/05/15); we hadn't been before. Nice building, lovely grounds, superb food but it was the people we dealt with that really made the whole experience outstanding. Great stuff - we "will" be back.
"A Relaxing Stay!"
05/23/15 ScoutMac Glasgow
A lovely house set in beautiful surroundings. Attentive and friendly staff. It is clear that a lot of love is being poured into this house to restore it to its full glory. A great entrance hall, terrific fire and very comfortable lounges. The views from the dining room are stunning. Enjoy your stay.
"Fabulous hotel"
05/09/15 axgwl Hamburg, Germany
The short drive from Inverness is definitely worth while: A beautifully located hotel with extremely friendly staff and fantastic cuisine. It is definitely worth while choosing a room facing the mountain!
"Great relaxing hotel"
05/08/15 Darren K Morecambe, United Kingdom
I moved to this hotel after being unhappy with my previous hotel. All I can say is that the staff where excellent and provided excellent customer service. I would definitely recommend this hotel. I traveled with my child under 2 and a pet. The staff anticipated my needs and the food was top quality. Susanna provided excellent service and made my family and myself fell welcome and appreciated.
"Excellent!!"
05/04/15 MaL137 Scotland
We stayed at Coul House Hotel last night. We were warmly welcomed and made to feel at home. Our room was clean and very comfortable. Dinner was excellent and breakfast did not disappoint. Service was efficient, friendly and attentive. The owners and staff create a relaxing ambiance and we experienced a warm, friendly atmosphere from the minute we checked in until our departure. Would highly recommend for a night (or more) 'away from it all'!
"Great Discovery"
04/25/15 Anne C
We were travelling over to the West Coast and decided a break was in order, along with some soup or an afternoon tea. Not seeing anything that caught our I eye in Strathpeffer we motored on until my husband glanced and saw the board for Coul House Hotel. All looked quiet as we parked the car, but we had a lovely warm welcome and were shown into a room looking over the gardens and distant view. Nothing was too much trouble and there didn't seem to be any time restrictions on what we could select. We opted for small plates of the recommended soup and it didn't disappoint, absolutely delicious with extremely moreish home-made bread. Coffee and the lightest shortbread I've ever tasted set us off for our remaining journey. Now I've got to convince my other half to whisk me away for a couple of nights to fully sample the talents of the amazing chef along with the warm hospitality we enjoyed during our brief lunch stop!!
"Excellent short stay "
04/19/15 KCAberd
Excellent service from the manager and all the staff. The room was very pleasant with a spacious bed. The bathroom was a little small, but everything was very clean.The food was great. Both dinner and breakfast had an excellent menu and of real quality. Very good value for money. Could not ask for more.
"Hidden Gem"
04/18/15 Melody M Aberdeen, United Kingdom
We stayed during the week and the hotel exceeded our expectations. It is spotlessly clean and the rooms are very comfortable. The bathrooms do need modernising but the owners are aware of this and the cleanliness makes up for the dated feel. The setting is beautiful and the views from the dining room are lovely. It is one of the most dog-friendly places we have ever stayed - pets are allowed in common areas apart from the restaurant, but the staff set up a breakfast table for us in the drawing room - in front of a huge window so we could enjoy the garden views - so we could have the dogs with us in the mornings away from other guests. Little touches like this make the hotel unique. The food is excellent too. The staff are welcoming and nothing is too much trouble. Attention to detail is not lacking in any form, which cannot be said for many country hotels that we've visited. The walks roundabout are very scenic and the little fairy garden in the hotel grounds is totally enchanting. We will definitely be returning and would highly recommend this hotel.
"Superb afternoon tea"
04/14/15 Pam S
We called in one weekday afternoon and thoroughly enjoyed what can only be described as a superb afternoon tea, served in a pleasant lounge overlooking the lovely gardens and hills at the rear of the house . Beautifully made sandwiches, warm scones with jam, cream and strawberries and complimentary delicious home made shortbread and tablet were all scrumptious, so much so that we had to order another scone each! The owner and staff were very accommodating and welcoming and we enjoyed spending a lazy hour or so watching wild bunnies scampering around in the garden while enjoying our tea. We felt it was good value for money and in view of the quality of the food, we will definitely return for dinner in the near future.
"Happy return"
04/12/15 worldenough Buckinghamshire, United Kingdom
We first visited Coul House 30 years ago and it was great to return and find it as nice a place as we remembered. This time we came straight from a stay at the super-luxurious Carnegie Club, so a hard act to follow, but we had a very happy and comfortable couple of days here. The present owners are doing a great job of gradually upgrading the furnishings and decor of this grand old house, and they don't make the mistake of neglecting the maintenance of areas that are still to be refurbished. Our room was large, clean and pleasant, with attractive views over the garden to the mountains beyond - small but functional bathroom. The food in the restaurant was top notch, with little touches (home made oatcakes, lovely fudge etc) demonstrating real attention to detail. Friendly and efficient staff, especially Stacey - thanks to you all.