All hotels in Edinburgh, Scotland, United Kingdom
9 Rothesay PlaceEdinburghScotlandEH3 7SLUnited Kingdom, ‏‎800-491-6126

Great room
    Rather comfortable
    Great amenities
"paid a total 3Night service cheage of $163Bp"
very goog perfect stay in Hotel,From the EDI airport by TAXI about $20-$28Bp.From Hotel by walk to Royal MILE about 20-25Mins,by TAXI about $12-$15Bp.The Hotels price is not expensvice ,but the service Tax i feel is much expensive,we stayed 3nights paid a total of $163Bp !
2 night trip with friends Nov 7, 2015
Wai Cheong
"Wonderful staff"
This residence, which consists of flats/apartments, has the advantage of a wonderful and attentive staff to help your stay. I would highly recommend it
4 night family trip Aug 4, 2015
Judson
"Great Place to Stay in Edinburgh"
Great Location. Very close to the tourist sites. Friendly staff. Nice bed. Large living room. Wifi slow. Bath needs attention.
Other trip Jul 27, 2015
A380
"Wonderful"
My wife and I enjoyed a few nights at the Chester. It's fantastic. The staff is friendly and very accommodating. The recommendations for dining and things to see was excellent. I would highly recommend this as a great place to stay.
Other trip Jun 8, 2015
Very spacious Townhome. Booked two bedroom Townhome in Chester Residence. The Townhome is old though and has not been updated. The mattress was worn and uncomfortable to sleep on. The staff were however very attentive and put a mattress topper to make it comfortable.
Other trip May 29, 2015
"Four wonderful days in Edinburgh"
Wonderful accommodation, wonderful staff, superb service. Highly recommended to anyone visiting Edinburgh.
4 night family trip Mar 29, 2015
Sairah
"Nice but not the best location."
Was disappointed I did not get in the building I was promised.
Other trip Nov 28, 2014
"A great neighborhood find"
Wonderful stay. Staff very attentive and helpful. Room beautiful. About 20 minute walk to area sights, but easy and fun.
3 night romance trip Sep 29, 2014
Arthur
"An apartment not just a room"
Lovely and comfortable apartment with kitchen, dining and living rooms. Staff is helpful.
Other trip Sep 18, 2014
Renee
"Lovely accomodation in convenient a very location."
This was our first trip to Edinburgh and we were quite pleased upon arrival. The accomodations were clean, spacious and well designed. It's within walking distance of The Royal Mile. The neighborhood is quiet and felt very safe. I would definitely come back here.
"A lovely stay, with qualifications"
We stayed 3 nights in room 7/1. It really is a lovely building and neighborhood. Its out of the way enough to be quiet and enjoyable, yet convenient enough to transportation that getting to areas of interest is easy. There are dvds and books to enjoy both in the room and in the lounge. And the staff was anxious to please in every way, albeit the single person on the night shift seems a little overworked. There were only 3 things for us to consider not liking: 1) the bedroom was a dead zone for the wifi. Management promised to fix this by adding another router, so the next person reviewing room 7/1 can hopefully confirm this is fixed. WiFi worked fine in the living room and kitchen. 2) there is no air conditioning. Normally this is not a problem in Scotland, but beware during the hot spells - room 7/1 is a top floor and it gets warm in the daytime. 3) Did I mention room 7/1 is on the top floor? There is no lift. Its 72 steps up. Tolerable on most days, but not so good on checkin and checkout where luggage is making the trek with you.
3 night trip Jul 12, 2014
Don
"As Good As It Gets"
The location, staff, service, accommodations, ambience and anything else you could want from a hotel are impeccable. No reason to stay anywhere else in Edinburgh.
2 night trip Jun 20, 2014
Nice people, seriously accommodating. The sort of place you'd expect for the money.
Other trip May 22, 2014
Our apartment which was lovely was however two blocks from the hotel reception and was below ground.
Other trip May 10, 2014
"3 Day Stay"
Everything about the stay was terrific! The staff in particular was super!
Other trip Mar 4, 2014
J
"Marketed as 5 star but NOT"
Our heat did not work. Our hot water turned off twice. The electrical in the bedroom and kitchen did not work for the first three days. Our reservations made by the front desk to restaurants were not made correctly twice - first night no reservation was booked after getting to the restaurant and the second experience we were sent to the wrong restaurant when they booked it and gave directions to the cab. This is marketed as a five star hotel experience - it is not that. It is a nice accommodation - an apartment if you will but there is no dining or room service in the hotel, there is a bar with 24 hour service - they serve a continental breakfast that is on top of your room charge - we paid over $500 us per night. Ultimately, a regular high end hotel would be preferred. This is more of an extended stay place with little amenities to match the upscale price. Staff is nice and professional - located in a nice area of the city but again if you want a five star experience or high end experience this is not the place.
Other trip Jan 6, 2014
Jonathon
The Chester Residence is an excellent hotel. The apartment rooms were very clean, spacious, and had the amenities one would be expect in a quality establishment. Also, the staff was very courteous and friendly. For the price, I would recommend this hotel to anyone visiting Edinburgh.
Other trip Sep 13, 2013
"Stay of a lifetime"
We have travelled throughout the U.S. and Europe and have never experienced the combination of outstanding accommodations, exceptional service, and friendly staff that we found at Chester Residence. We literally are considering a return to Edinburgh from the U.S. just to stay at Chester -- but of course, to explore further the exceptional city of Edinburgh and its environs. If you haven't been to Edinburgh, go!
Other trip Aug 6, 2013
Sean
"Edinburgh apartment with a WOW factor"
Beautiful apartment with a real WOW factor. Nice neighborhood, several blocks from shopping. We took cabs until we rented a car for day trips. Sleek living room with big dining room table. Well furnished kitchen. Staff very friendly, but less helpful than we expected from all the reviews. Standard recommendations for Edinburgh activities, but less knowledge about day trips out of Edinburgh or off the path restaurants or activities. Car park very inconvenient. Lots of street parking that is free overnight, but you need to feed the meter during the day. Lots of construction disrupting traffic flow.
Other trip Aug 3, 2013
glu31

The following English reviews were posted by hotel guests from other countries:

"A lovely trip down memory lane."
My wife and I enjoyed a return trip to Edinburgh having stayed here over 30 years ago. The Chester Residence was chosen as it was adjacent to the first flat I rented in 1982, indeed my landlord owned the predecessor hotel and I had to call in to pay my rent each month! The apartment was simply wonderful in its decor, size and fixtures and fittings. The staff were very helpful and brought us a card and celebratory bottle of wine to celebrate the 30th anniversary of where we got engaged.We'll definitely be back, the Chester Residence is absolutely wonderful.
1 night romance trip Mar 18, 2016
"Absolutely stunning apartments. True luxury"
Absolutely loved our 2 days here. I would definitely stay again. The room is absolutely huge. The surrounding area is lovely and just a short walk to princes street for some retail therapy, I have stayed in many many hotels. But this simply has to be the best nights sleep I've ever had. Beds are fantastic. Bathroom was beautiful. Kitchen lovely although ate out and never used it. If I had to be picky and look for a fault then I would say don't try and have a bath and use the shower at the same time. The bath is deep and took a lifetime to fill. By the time it was a quarter full the water was running cold as was the shower. And the bath plug didnt go down fully, allowing some water to run away. But just took a cold shower. Woke me up that's for sure
2 night romance trip Feb 23, 2016
"little details"
amazing place...pitty... the bed was uncomfortable...as were both choices of pillows...the dining table was stained/marked as was our bedroom carpet...little details but important ones...service was sublime as was location
1 night trip with friends Jan 16, 2016
Elayne
Amazing apartment. Clean and excellent quality of service. Breakfast was fantastic staff were very helpful and welcoming
2 night romance trip Dec 21, 2015
"Hate to share it as it's too good."
A business trip turned pleasure. What an amazing home from home with a spin. I could have stayed for ever. Just gorgeous. Comfortable, warm, elegant, spacious, clean and classy. Nothing to beat it.
1 night business trip Dec 1, 2015
"Perfect little gem"
Romantic getaway and the hotel was amazing
2 night romance trip Oct 16, 2015
"Probably wouldn't consider staying anywhere else"
Ideal for both business and pleasure. Quiet location, great restaurants nearby. Very comfortable and well appointed, with the luxury of space and tranquillity, and the assistance of a professional and friendly staff.
2 night romance trip Oct 1, 2015
Louise
The luxury at this place is unbelievable. The apartments are huge and the staff are excellent at service. Can't get better
1 night romance trip Sep 24, 2015
Nikhil
IN
"Old and New"
I booked in 'The Chester Residence' and didn't hear much for a day or two but then got an email confirming my booking but also asking straight away if I wanted to pay more to upgrade from the one I'd booked in to their 'flagship' property on Rothesay Place? I thought, well I'm paying a lot already, why should I need to? But alarm bells started ringing in my head. We were taken to the Chester Residence on arrival a five minute walk from reception. Our suite, number 3, had huge rooms but a bit of a tired feel that kind of made you think "meh". I've stayed in quite a few of the Edinburgh 5 stars and this had more of a 1990s Hilton 4 star feel to it. Albeit with a Nespresso machine. Things took a surprising turn when I went to get the bags from the car and my wife decided to open a window for air. The large heavy sash window turned out not to be held in the frame and collapsed in on her. She stood there holding it with all her strength (lucky she wasn't a child or elderly lady) and when I came in I helped her lift it down on to the floor. We went to 'Just call 0' to report the big hole in our window and found the phone was dead. Thankfully our mobile still worked. The staff were of course very apologetic, very professional and moved us to one of those flagship residences which had a much higher spec of fixtures and fittings and a few nice touches like a big bath to make you feel you were getting something for the money. So the message is, book the upgrade!
Other trip Sep 28, 2015
Snowhunter
Fab apartment with everything you could ever need. Service was amazing and we wished we had just stayed in the apartment all night! Will definitely be using the Chester residence again
1 night trip with friends Sep 19, 2015
margaret
"Wonderful hotel"
This is our second time staying at this hotel, a wonderful place to call home for a few days while we were away.
Other trip Sep 17, 2015
ReturnCustomers
"Very very nice but still needs improvement"
Very nicely furnished, new, spacious and comfortable. Within walking distance from High Street. However, as a 5-star serviced apartment, I would expect a bit more. The taps in the bathroom need improvement. The fact that I still need to mix water from the hot water tap and the cold one in the basin to get warm water is very user-unfriendly. The taps in the shower are so sensitive to turning that I needed to turn them like a scientist in the laboratory before I got the desired temperature. Moreover no holder for the shower head means I had to hold the shower with one hand during the whole shower time. It would be nice if the Residence would consider installing a washing machine in the apartment, though I understand why this is not the case, from a business perspective. Lastly, the squeaking wooden floors under the carpet really need attention. Apart from the above problems, the Residence is really very nice and comfortable to stay in.
3 night romance trip Sep 4, 2015
Lilian Suet Mui
"Beautiful Hotel in Central Edinburgh"
We stayed for one night in the owners suite,which is decorated to a high standard.We loved the jacuzzi and cinema room.The suite is seperate from the main building and completely private.I would highly recommend staying here as it most relaxing.You are in the centre of Edinburgh only 5min walk to princess street.
Other trip Aug 19, 2015
"very good hotel and close to the city centre."
the staff and hotel over all were excellent i would and going to use again
Other trip Aug 16, 2015
martin
"Excellent Hotel in Quality and Convenient Area"
We had a single night booked at the Chester Residence. We had an early flight (so arrived about 9am) and went to drop of our bags to be informed that 1) Our room was ready and 2) That we had been upgraded to the "Owners Residence". The apartment was extraordinary, with bedroom and en-suite, separate bathroom with double width jacuzzi bath (with television!), a smart kitchen and lounge with large TV and around the corner was a home cinema projector. It took some convincing to leave the apartment to go and see the city (although of course seeing Edinburgh is very worthwhile)! I appreciate that my view is skewed by being very lucky with the upgrade, but even if it had just been the bedroom & en-suite, combined with the friendly service and good location we would have been more than happy. I can really appreciate why this hotel ranks top on all review sites and would not look elsewhere if visiting Edinburgh again.
Other trip Aug 5, 2015
"Beautiful apartment with all mod cons"
Loved this place, great location, modern apartment with all mod cons including underfloor heating and widescreen tv. Fluffy robes, Molton Brown toiletries and most comfortable bed ever. Highly recommended!
Other trip Aug 1, 2015
Angela
"My personal flat in Edinburgh"
Once again, Chester Residence has reminded me how much nicer it is to stay in one of their luxurious 'residences' than in a standard 5* hotel. Convenient, discrete, boutique, excellent service.
Other trip Jul 14, 2015
"Highly Recommended Hotel"
This is a top notch property with incredibly spacious and well equipped apartments. If it's within your budget this is the place to stay. The Balmoral is in a slightly better location but you won't have anywhere near the space. The well equipped kitchen in the Chester apartments is also a huge advantage for anyone who occasionally wants to avoid 3 restaurant meals a day. Highly recommended.
3 night romance trip Jul 4, 2015
"A little warmth in a cold place"
very quiet area for sleeping and great room
4 night romance trip Jun 13, 2015
"Can't wait to find an excuse to go back!"
What a place! Amazing apartment! Fab location! Super friendly and helpful staff!
2 night trip with friends Jun 5, 2015
Lucy
"Super apartment"
Stylish. Luxury. Clean. Quiet. More a first-class apartment than a hotel but the staff are friendly and do all they can to make your stay special.
Other trip May 28, 2015
"Lovely Stay in Edinburgh"
This was our second stay at the Chester Residence and it will not be our last. The rooms are enormous and beautifully decorated, as well as being stocked with amenities. You truly get a lot for your money. We stayed in the two bedroom Mews apartment, which had its own private garden and entrance. All of the rooms offer their own unique character. We would not even entertain staying anywhere else in Edinburgh.
2 night family trip May 22, 2015
We really liked this place. It was a last minute find and a good one. Very clean and comfortable, great location. We were led into the basement unit and I was skeptical at first, but we had our own private little garden terrace. We flew in very early a.m. to Scotland and were exhausted and they allowed us to check in early, which we deeply appreciated. The unit was way bigger than we anticipated and very comfortable for 2 ppl. Highly recommend and if we ever get back to the area will definitely stay there.
2 night romance trip Apr 23, 2015
"Thoroughly recommend."
Amazing accommodation! Very spacious, clean and comfortable. Living room was huge. Lovely complimentary gifts. Modern decoration. Provided everything for our baby from chair, blankets to cot! Only downside was not having a washing machine!
7 night family trip Apr 20, 2015
"1st Class Luxury"
An absolutely 1st class experience, which was made even more amazing by the extra special touches by extremely welcoming. Anna and The Front of House Team organised some gorgeous flowers and arranged for them to be delivered with an amazing continental breakfast on my mums Birthday. Everything was perfect, we couldn't have asked for more - perfect!
Other trip Mar 19, 2015
"You must stay here"
Outstanding apartment at the garden level, 10 out of 10 for value for money. They recommended and booked a masseur for my partner who was also excellent. Wish we could have stayed longer and organised a party as the space was that large.
1 night romance trip Feb 11, 2015
Very friendly staff. Magnificent room. Great location
Other trip Feb 11, 2015
"Absolutely fantastic."
For my wife's birthday. Couldn't have been better. From the start the front of desk staff were helpful and friendly and couldn't do enough. The apartment was fantastic with underfloor heating in the bathrooms and everything you could ask for in the kitchen from nespresso machine to duality and Siemens appliances. I'll never look for anything else in Edinburgh again.
2 night romance trip Jan 26, 2015
Darran
"Chester residence edinburgh"
Great stay. Imaaculate hotel, super-helpful staff, room upgrade. Made it a great stay
1 night romance trip Jan 3, 2015
"The chester"
Fantastic 5*
1 night romance trip Dec 27, 2014
"Amazing"
Perfect place for a stay in Edinburgh
2 night romance trip Dec 12, 2014