All hotels in Sonoma, California, United States of America
1541 Denmark StreetSonomaCA95476United States of America, ‏‎800-491-6126

Rather comfortable
    Decent vibe
    Room is not nice
"A country house in Sonoma"
On the whole, this is an enchanting place, with lots of character. The bathroom is to be shared with (an)other tenant(s) and has no shower (one can take a bath and rinse oneself with a hose), but otherwise everything is sparkling clean and uniquely tasteful. The house is at a driving distance to downtown Sonoma, so the place is very quiet. The lady of the house provides continental breakfasts, with wonderful freshly-baked pastries and fabulous conversation if there is an interest as she is an artist and a world traveler.
Other trip Aug 24, 2015
Irene
"Glad I stayed here"
I was concerned at first when I read some of the other reviews but I am glad I stayed here. First, it was the only place I could find that would allow me to stay only one night. That alone was a big bonus. It was neat and clean and the owner, Lucille, was very nice and attentive. If you expect a luxury hotel you will be disappointed. I agree with other reviewers who said it reminded them of an old style European B and B. It was just a room and a bathroom. The lack of a shower was probably the only thing that I didn't like. It's an old clawfoot tub and she has a hose attached so you can easily rinse off. But I think it would get old if you were staying several nights in a row. Overall it was very nice and quaint and I would stay there again if I had to be there for a night or two. She told me she has two rooms and one bath but she knows people don't like to share a bathroom so she only rents both rooms out at a time if the people know each other. Continental breakfast was simple but good. If you prefer a personal touch instead of giant hotel chains this is the place for you.
1 night trip with friends Aug 8, 2015
Deborah
"Staying at Your Aunt's House"
Very rustic! You are basically staying at someone's home, not your typical Sonoma/Napa B&B. The bathroom was not connected to our room, but was close. Also there was no shower. That being said our hostess was very nice, the bed very comfortable and the area very quiet.
1 night family trip Aug 1, 2015
"Cute country house"
Cozy farmhouse, wonderful service. The homemade pastries and continental breakfast were amazing. Had breakfast with two deer laying just outside the window. Very quiet.
1 night romance trip Jul 31, 2015
Brenda
"Cute Rustic Farmhouse"
Very cozy and quiet. Lucille was a wonderful hostess, the breakfast spread was delicious.
1 night romance trip Jul 30, 2015
Brenda
"Quaint Sonoma Hideaway"
My stay was most comfortable and the room was nice. Would definitely stay again if I find myself in Sonoma again.
5 night family trip May 13, 2015
raymond
"Ladies Beware"
Home owner was gracious, her home is filled with interesting things. We were not told that a man lived in the house a few yards from the main house. Long story short I caught the tenant looking into our windows the first night we were there! Keep the window curtains closed at night and do not stand infront of the windows at all. The curtains are thin and can easily be seen through. The hedge outside the bedroom window was freshly cut with a clear view from the pathway directly into the room. The homeowner got a confession from the man. The homeowner told us the man is "harmless". Well, needless to say the three night booked stay was a one, (sleepless) night stay. We left as soon as we could and will never return. We will attempt to get a complete refund.
3 night trip Sep 4, 2014
"Charming Country House in Wine Country"
We spent two nights at Hollyhock in order to attend a wedding and accompanying festivities. Hollyhock Country House was a great base. A lovely 1920s farmhouse with original details: quiet, clean, comfortable and close to the Sonoma Plaza (a five-minute drive) and other sights. Lucille was a helpful, attentive hostess. We highly recommend this B & B.
2 night trip Sep 12, 2014
J
"Comfortable stay in private residence"
My guy and I really enjoyed our inn keeper, Lucille. She joined us for breakfast and got the scoop on the wedding we attended the night before. I will note that you are actually staying in a room in her private home, so it's a fairly intimate setting. We're flexible, so it worked well for us. Hollyhook was less than 15 minutes from our venue and close to town and many wineries. You really can't beat the price for the area. The other option we looked at was more than double what we paid here.
Other trip Aug 12, 2014
"Quaint relaxing country home."
Super adorable quaint, cozy country home! Was adorable! Quiet street surrounded by vineyards. I felt like I was at my grandmothers house, gave me warm and fuzzies! Super close to downtown shops and restaurants.
Other trip Aug 11, 2014
"Cozy Bed & Breakfast"
Hollyhock Country House is a simple & cozy place to spend a night. Our room had a double bed with a coat rack and seated bench with an adjacent bathroom. It is an old house, so the floors do creak as you walk. Located a few miles east of Sonama Plaza, where there are no street lights. GPS makes it easier to find, esp when driving at night. We drove down the driveway, which leads to the back entrance of the house. Continental breakfast was served.
1 night trip with friends Jun 7, 2014
"Comfortable and quiet"
This was our first trip to Sonoma and our first Bed and Breakfast. Overall we had a great experience and got the rest we deserved. Lucy is the hostess and she was very social and kind to us. She has a very social cat that was very friendly. If you are not a cat person don't worry because she will keep it away and out of the room. She also has very good tips on things to do in town. Just remember if you choose to go here you are going into their home so don't over expect.
Other trip Feb 17, 2014
disneytaurus
"Hollyhock Country House-Amazing!"
This is an amazing jewel in Sonoma! The Hostess is a very delightful and talented artist. The House is filled with lovely antiques, collectibles and artwork by the Hostess, Lucille. My room was very compfy, clean and cute. The country property is beautiful with deer meandering around the front yard. In the sunroom, where breakfast is served, the squirrels, outside, chase each other through the trees. The Continental Breakfast was delicious with raisin bread, apple turnovers, wonderful coffee and juice. Lucille is extremely affable and interesting to talk with. The House is located about 5 minutes from the Sonoma Square-it's wonderful to be able to retreat to The Hollyhock after the bustle of downtown Sonoma. I look forward to returning to The Hollyhock for a longer visit.
1 night family trip Sep 21, 2013
"A COMPLETE DISAPPOINTMENT"
This place was a shock. First, It's an old farmhouse which shows it's age. Entering the house which was located far from town, we smelled cat urine. The B and B advertised that we would have a room with a bath, the opposite was true. . Once we entered the house the woman who owns the farmhouse showed us a small room. The double bed and a bookshelf filled the space. She then told us that another couple who needed a place to stay would be sharing the bath we were supposed to have to ourselves. Also the bathroom was located in the hallway not privately accessible from the room. The room was small and stuffy. She claimed that Expedia had gotten things confused and so only this room was available, and the other couple who had elected to stay had no problem sharing the bathroom with us. The bathroom had a toilet and a claw bathtub which did not have a shower. Instead there was a hose attached to the bath's faucet and while other types of hand showers have a shower head attached to the other end of the hose this was just a hose. There was no shower curtain. We have stayed in small bed and breakfast before but this was a place we wanted no part of. This woman advertises her home as a hotel but it is far from being anything but a place where you are sharing a room in her private home. There should have been a full disclosure as to what one would expect by paying to stay here. We left without having another place to stay in Sonoma .
1 night romance trip Aug 17, 2013
tomas
"Nice B&B"
Nice little B&B off a side road in Sonoma. A little tough to find at night. Note that there is no shower, just a tub with a hose. Good rates for the location.
2 night trip Jul 20, 2013
Looking for a quiet romantic getaway, Hollyhock is a perfect addition for lodging. Very welcoming, very friendly, will return soon.
1 night romance trip Jul 6, 2013
"We Love Sonoma"
On our second day we asked the inn keeper to join us for breakfast and tell us about the interesting items located throughout the house. She has been all over the world and her stories made our stay just that much more enjoyable.
2 night trip May 22, 2013
Jim & Janet

The following English reviews were posted by hotel guests from other countries:

"Warm and welcoming."
We had a wonderful stay at this B&B. Lucille is a very welcoming and warm person and made our stay in her home very enjoyable. She is attentive and extremely interesting to talk with. Lucille also provided a delicious breakfast with homemade pastries. The house is quite old but has bags of character and is filled with quirky nick nacks and items revived by Lucille. Whilst the room is small, it is clean and comfortable. The location is along a quiet road, opposite a major winery. It is also a short drive to Sonoma Plaza. We would stay here again if only to see Lucille.
1 night romance trip Jun 15, 2015
"Stay anywhere but here"
The problem I am facing when starting this review is WHERE do I begin?? The entrance to this ramshackle dump should have alerted me immediately, an old faded sign stuck on a chain link fence announces your unfortunate arrival, overgrown with weeds and extremely unkempt with a pothole filled "driveway" which isn't a driveway at all merely a dirt track. I was instructed to park the car anywhere I liked as we were the only guests. (Surprise surprise) There are NO parking facilities at all, you abandon your car in the side of a field, ok for 4wd vehicles but I was concerned for my rental. Broken steps lead up to a FILTHY tired looking bungalow with peeling paint, uneven porch boards and just a general feeling of neglect. Inside the house it's DARK, floor boards screech at ever footstep, no private bath, dirty kitchen with rubbish all over the place. Our room was tiny, filled with junk, poky and the whole house stinks of rancid cats urine. This all washes over the head of the owner who informed me at almost 3pm the "room" wasn't ready, gladly we took off and spent the next few hours searching for alternative accommodation but to no avail. We killed time before we went back to the dump at 9pm, took sleeping tablets and got up and left at 5am while it was still dark, no way would we be having ANY breakfast in this place. I was angry beyond belief that anyone would DARE to charge people for staying in this dirty, untidy hovel, quite honestly the kennels I put the dogs in are better.
1 night trip Jul 19, 2014
Zooming
"Fantastic service"
Uncompromised service. We made a last minute booking in the Napa area and everything was full in the main town areas. Hollyhock Country House was available approx 2 miles from Soloma Centre. It is very easy to get into town which we did for a nice dinner. The accommodation is very European so may not suit everyone, unlike a hotel this is more a B&B with a very welcoming and well travelled hostess who looked after us very well. She went well out of her way to welcome us, provide us with lots of information and gave us a lovely continential breakfast.
1 night trip Aug 17, 2013

The following reviews were posted by hotel guests from other countries:

1 night trip Jun 6, 2014
LoanAdvisor

TripAdvisor reviews for Hollyhock Country House

"Diamond in the ruff!"
09/26/15 Sue H Ione, California, United States
I was so delighted with our stay I wanted to say something so others can make an informed decision to stay or not. This is a 94 year old farm house. The original hardwood floors have a wonder sound , the bed was comfy, and the porch cat was a very pleasant greeter. The owner, a world traveler originally from NY, has filled this home with her travels and collections over the past 30 years. She is also an artist, first noticing this as you pull down the long drive and see the quilt work pattern painted garage doors. The inside has some lovely works that she has painted. The enclosed sunroom where our breakfast was provided was lovely. From the fresh fruit to homemade pasties, bread and to die for apple turnovers was a delight to have. The house was spotless. The rooms had character and the owner was so knowledgable and friendly. Wifi is available and if you need TV there is one in the sitting room. If you want a sterile sparse place with a blow dryer attached to the bathroom wall and a TV in your room this is not for you. Did I mention they allow one night reservations which most in town do not and the cost was less then half of what you will find anywhere in the area. Allow yourself to experience something special with an older charm of its own. Every place you look you will discover something new in the house. We will go back and for someone looking for this type of experience, we would recommend it to you too.
"All B&B are as charming as their owner - this is a charming B&B"
06/29/15 arizonaac Phoenix, Arizona
I picked this place based on Hotels.com reviews. I was happy I stayed here. There was not a sign that I could see but Google Maps directions got me here and the address number is clear from the road. The barn you see as you drive up the driveway is very colorful so you will know you have arrived at the right place. There are only two rooms available so you will never be crowded. The home is very charming and comfortable. I slept like a baby in the double/queen bed (not sure which it was.) Lucille was easy to talk with and was so well traveled that she and I could share many great stories. If you like to be pampered like a fancy resort this is clearly not the place for you. This is a B&B and is like staying at the home of a friend. I will most certainly return.
"Surprising and interesting stay"
06/23/15 Kim163 London
We were greeted warmly by Lucille and what an interesting lady she is. We would definitely return, if only to sit and chat to her. The house is old, full of character and decorated with quirky nick nacks and items revived by Lucille. It is also spotlessly clean. The guest room itself is small but comfortable. Our breakfast was delicious homemade pastries and plenty of them, along with fresh orange juice and tea and coffee. Location is along a quiet road, a short drive to Sonoma Plaza.
"Sonoma's Surprising Find"
08/18/14 ArtevD
First, we were enthralled with Lucille, the Inn Keeper. Our room was ready earlier than the 2pm check-in. Lucille was welcoming and friendly, but we didn't have much time to talk because we had to get ready for an afternoon event. We booked the Hollyhock since it was the only place that did not require a 2-night minimum AND didn't cost well-over $200/night. We read a few reviews, so we knew this wasn't an overpriced wine-country inn. We expected not to be dazzled by the property, so our expectations were low. While the house is dated and a few things could be fixed, it works. The room was comfortable with a queen bed and clean. The bathroom doesn't have a shower, but during our travels to Europe and Asia, we've encountered many places that did not have showers. One of us is highly allergic to cats, but the first floor of the house is cat-free and we were not affected at all, nor did we smell the odors "tillylamp" complained about. If you're looking for a 5-star/5-diamond property, this is not for you. If you're looking for comfortable, charming, European-style accommodations with a lovely inn keeper, then consider Hollyhock and use the money you save on wine tours and great restaurants in the area. By the way, Gundlach Bundschu winery is right across the street. We slept like babies. The night was so quiet. No sounds of compressors, barking dogs or traffic. When Lucille asked if we wanted a continental breakfast prior to our early departure, we were a bit hesitant because of negative reviews, BUT those reviews are unsubstantiated. We enjoyed our freshly brewed coffee, oj and fresh pastries in the sun room. More importantly, we loved our conversation with Lucille about our lives in the Bay Area and travels through Asia and Europe. Lucille is a delight.
"Stay anywhere but here"
07/20/14 tillylamp Newry
The problem I am facing when starting this review is WHERE do I begin?? The entrance to this ramshackle dump should have alerted me immediately, an old faded sign stuck on a chain link fence announces your unfortunate arrival, overgrown with weeds and extremely unkempt with a pothole filled "driveway" which isn't a driveway at all merely a dirt track. I was instructed to park the car anywhere I liked as we were the only guests. (Surprise surprise) There are NO parking facilities at all, you abandon your car in the side of a field, ok for 4wd vehicles but I was concerned for my rental. Broken steps lead up to a FILTHY tired looking bungalow with peeling paint, uneven porch boards and just a general feeling of neglect. Inside the house it's DARK, floor boards screech at ever footstep, no private bath, dirty kitchen with crap all over the place. Our room was tiny, filled with junk, poky and the whole house stinks of rancid cats piss. This all washes over the head of the owner who informed me at almost 3pm the "room" wasn't ready, gladly we took off and spent the next few hours searching for alternative accommodation but to no avail. We killed time before we went back to the dump at 9pm, took sleeping tablets and got up and left at 5am while it was still dark, no way would we be having ANY breakfast in this place. I was angry beyond belief that anyone would DARE to charge people for staying in this dirty, untidy hovel, quite honestly the kennels I put the dogs in are better. If there is no other accommodation available to you only this place then sleep in your car.
"Uncompromised Service"
08/27/13 Christopher H London, United Kingdom
Lucielle was very welcoming and went well out of her way to help us. She is an artist and well travelled so lots to talk about internationally which is welcomed. The room was clean and bed comfortable with a continential breakfast in the morning. Short distance into Soloma (2 miles). We were there for one night and would recommend it as a European style B&B (so you are staying in their house), unlike being in a hotel.
"comfortable accommodations"
07/23/12 GrlGoing Walnut Creek, California
Lucille and Tom were friendly and welcoming. Pleasant farm house setting. No a/c but the house was cool because of all the shade trees. The room was small, but clean and decorated wtih Lucille's artwork. The bed was comfortable. Bathroom was clean and right next to the bedroom. Breakfast was coffee, oj and fresh pastries. Overall comfortable, basic accommodations, not far from Sonoma Plaza and many wineries. We were happy to find a place that doesn't require a two night minimum stay.
"Cannot Recommend Hollyhock Country House"
04/11/11 KayD60 The Woodlands, Texas
Distinct odor of cat urine upon arrival. Tolerable during the day, but intensified at night when the heat comes on. Owner could not be reached on second night by telephone to remedy, and very unaccommodating when we decided to leave when could no longer tolerate. She could not be reached until following morning, and refused to refund remaining 3 nights which had been prepaid, As a result, our lodging costs were doubled for the trip. In addition to the pet odor, the room was very small (a small study off the stairs with a bed put in it), and no closet or dresser for clothes. Also, no shower, but tupperware bowl provided to rinse hair. Almost derailed our trip, but we decided to move on and enjoy it. We loved Sonoma, but cannot recommend the Hollyhock Country House.
"Very Rough"
12/13/08 sjinut Maryland
Please Note: We DID NOT actually stay there. We saw their listing under B&Bs and it sounded very lovely and reasonably priced. We were in Sonoma and went by to check it out in case we might want to stay there in the future. The house is rather dark inside. This is a room rental (two available) in a lady's house. You would have just the room. There is a shared bathroom. You would share her living room and kitchen, where she prominently lives, so this would be more like a hostel than a B&B. It smelled of fried food, even though the windows were open. We won't stay there because we would mind the lack of a private space in which to relax outside of just a bedroom.