All hotels in Ripon, England, United Kingdom
Swinton Park, Masham, Ripon, England, HG4 4JH, United Kingdom, ‏‎800-491-6126

4.9
    4.8
    4.8
Excellent stay. wonderful walks on the estate. Staff were all helpful and friendly. Exceptional service in the restaurant and rooms. I would recommend the Hotel to relatives and friends. I look forward to another visit in the near future.
Other trip Jun 8, 2013

"A wonderful place in an exquisite environment."
A very friendly, professional environment Jonah in the restaurant was excellent along with David the porter. Go here and be very impressed.
1 night romance trip Nov 26, 2014
shaun willis
"Absolute Bliss"
Everything we expected and more! From reading reviews and looking through the photos we expected a luxury stay and we were not disappointed, it was perfect! From the staff to the room to the food, it was all amazing and certainly worth every penny! I can also highly reccomend a visit to the spa :)
1 night romance trip Nov 2, 2014
Ryan
"Superb"
Stayed at this hotel, and what a fantastic experience it was. From the moment of arrival, the staff were attentive and nothing was too much trouble for them. The grounds and amenities were excellent, spent several hours just walking the grounds looking at the herds of deer, the Falconry centre, and the various lakes. Can not praise the whole package offered enough.
Other trip Sep 16, 2014
Comfortable,relaxing,good service when you got it, need more organised staff.
1 night trip Aug 14, 2014
"A very warm and friendly hotel, a pleasure to stay"
You felt part of the hotel as soon as you arrived, wonderful
Other trip Aug 16, 2014
"old world charm"
From the minute you drive through the gates you feel it is going to be a unique experience. It is a lovely building and it is old with antiques. Grounds are beautiful with the deer. We had dinner and it was excellent, staff were all very friendly which made you comfortable as some of these high class places can be a bit toffee nosed and a bit off putting but you didn't feel like that here. Restaurant manager was very fussy so standards were high and he catered for your every need above and beyond. It is expensive so it isn't a everyday hotel but it is worth spoiling yourselves now and then. I think children are accepted but I personally wouldn't take mine as I think they would get bored and feel uncomfortable in the restaurant.
Other trip Aug 7, 2014
Jules
"Wonderful English hotel"
Beautiful rooms, excellent staff, very extensive grounds with an amazing wildflower garden, lakes, deer herd, hawk and owl centre. Definitely would go back.
"Giod service"
Nice quality hotel
1 night trip Jul 27, 2014
"Swinton Park Castle Hotel"
First off I have to admit we booked this hotel through Expedia at a astonishing low price, so my review has to be based mostly on that fact. Swinton Park is impressive as you drive through the gates and up to the entrance, where the concierge will take your bags for you while you park. We had a easy check in and were shown to our rooms, we had 4 of the Dukes bedrooms, each equally impressive, very large, and fantastically equipped ( I mean complimentary whiskey!). There are some tiny issues with both room and general hotel areas that could be addressed regarding décor, but as with any hotel of this size it must be in constant maintenance. The grounds are beautiful and a pleasant walk, we also enjoyed our Bird of Prey experience and Spa treatments booked via the hotel. Breakfast was good, a wide choice of cereals, pastries, jams, fruit etc plus the cooked breakfast (vegetarian option was very good), all served in the impressive dining room by attentive staff. Overall we thoroughly enjoyed our stay at Swinton Park hotel, although we must admit if we had to pay full price it might have been a tad on the expensive side.
Other trip Jul 28, 2014
DPG
"Died and gone to heaven"
Best hotel I've ever been too. Far better than the 5star chain hotels.
Other trip Jun 27, 2014
"Wow was amazing"
The staff were great the location amazing really great time
Other trip Jun 23, 2014
"spa"
Very good. enjoyed it with my fiancée. The food was amazing. The spa was good as were the massages. Will definately book there again
1 night romance trip Jun 14, 2014
"Outstanding"
A wonderful and relaxing time in beautiful surroundings
Other trip Jun 2, 2014
"Luxury hotel with great service"
Its a great stay with no fault. The location is just nice for a retreat and if it gets bored, you can easily drive 5mins downhill to grab a bite or some shops. The hotel service is excellent and we slept well in the room. Its a dream come true for staying in a castle. Highly recommended.
1 night romance trip Oct 16, 2013
SS
SG
"Grandour"
This is a lovely hotel in a very nice place in north Yorkshire. Everything was great and lots to do and see. One minor comment, breakfast servings were not as efficient as dinner.
2 night trip Aug 4, 2013
Roddy
"A holiday to remember"
There were 6 people in our party,all over 75 years! We all had a very good time and the hotel gave us all the help that we needed. All the requests were dealt with promptly.The food in the fine dining restaurant was very good indeed. We were able to visit many places in the area,and had a warm welcome when we returned. I would recommend this hotel to any age,but mainly couples.
Other trip Jun 22, 2013
Doreen
"Oh my goodness AMAZING"
Wow, the most amazing experience ever. Surroundings are breathtaking rooms spacious and luxurious everything was just perfect. Staff couldn't do enough for you and the little touches were very special. Would go back in a heat beat, best hotel stay I have ever experienced.
1 night business trip Sep 13, 2012
Tash

"素晴らしい自然の中にある歴史を感じさせられるお城のホテル"
クッキングスクール併設だけあって、お料理も期待できるホテルで、パンもとても美味しい。 特に、朝の焼きたてのクロワッサンは、フランスでいただいているように最高に美味しかった。 朝のエッグベネディクトも気品あるお味で美味しかった。 古い由緒ある建物ですから、シャワーの水圧がよければもう言うことなしのホテルといえるでしょう。自然の中の空間は、綺麗な空気と水の美味しさで、心身ともにリラックスできるホテルです。
Emiko
RONALD
"Relaxing surroundings"
1 night romance trip Aug 7, 2012

TripAdvisor reviews for Swinton Park

"Amazing tasting menu but average room"
07/28/15 lesley k Liverpool, United Kingdom
We stayed one night last week on dinner,bed and breakfast deal for my husband's birthday. Ended up paying the extra for the tasting menu which was excellent so we didn't mind at all.The room,however,was average and overpriced for what it was. We have stayed in nicer rooms in 'gastro'pubs in the Lakes for a lot less. The staff,however,were friendly and the service excellent but the classical music playing on a loop definitely did not enhance the atmosphere. Several times we found ourselves listening to the funeral march!
"So many lovely things, but others shocking "
07/27/15 TasteTestersUK Hebden Bridge, United Kingdom
It's a fascinating, fabulous stately home. We've been three times - once for a tasting menu special occasion (we weren't paying), once for an excellent foraging and cooking day and then yesterday... We love good, creative food and understand that delicate and rich tastes can mean expensive, but there is something shocking about the laughably small amounts of food. It's almost obscene to charge £58 for a three course meal that amounts to six mouthfuls at most, and which leaves you hungry. I can't fault the cooking. It's exquisite. I'm very much hoping, though, that the fashion for empty plates with doll's house portions will soon be seen as a piece of decadent madness. Read Herman Koch's excellent novel 'The Dinner' for a taste of what I mean! Overall, an enjoyable stay, but other things woefully out of kilter with the cost and the atmosphere: 1. Being charged for morning newspapers. At £274 for a room, I think a little generosity wouldn't go amiss 2. Being charged for 'complimentary'-seeming petits fours 3. A two-hour delay in being served dinner (and we had to ask for bread to tide us over) 4. A three-quarter hour wait for a breakfast table, by which time, the buffet was almost empty of choice. 5. Long waits for most orders. 6. Outrageous drinks prices - £12 for a gin, for example 7. Teddy bears on every bed. A nice touch, but actually a sales pitch. Poor parents who try to say no! The country house atmosphere is interesting, the walled garden is lovely edible chaos, the grounds are pretty, but I doubt we'd pay through the nose again to be reminded that there's a class system in Britain.
"Garden lunch"
07/27/15 MaryAnn007 North Yorkshire, UK
We had coffee on arrival in a lovely drawing room looking out over the beautiful grounds. A two course lunch was served in the very elegant dining room where the people booked on the garden course were seated at tables together. The food was excellent as was the service. The meal was followed by a talk about the gardens and then, despite the terribly wet weather, a guided tour of the walled gardens, park and lakes. Although this was included in the themed lunch there was no pressure to go outside had people not wanted to get wet. As it was the hotel lent out raincoats, wellingtons and umbrellas to anyone who needed them amd the walk was well worth getting a bit wet. The grounds are extensive and the tour very interesting, no doubt even better in the sunshine but it didn't spoil the day. It's worth looking on the website for all the other activities available at the hotel - cookery school, a spa, birds of prey etc. We shall certainly go back again.
"Exceptional"
07/25/15 Sue C North Yorkshire, United Kingdom
I wanted somewhere special that had the wow factor to book as a surprise for my husband's birthday and I came across Swinton Park. The reviews were really good so I thought I would give it a try. Even from the moment I made the booking I found the staff helpful and knowledgeable. They helped me to make a booking in the private spa, helped with my dinner reservation and helped me to book a bird of prey experience. I decided to book the Turret Suite which was more expensive than some of the other rooms but so worth it. It was set on 3 floors and every room was amazing. We were welcomed on arrival and all the staff during our stay were so polite and friendly and made you feel valued. We dined in the restaurant in the evening and again the food and service was fantastic. This was our first visit but definitely won't be our last. Thank you to all the staff for making it so special.
"Perfect English Country Getaway"
07/24/15 Justin W Katy, Texas
Swinton Park, a castle home sitting in the middle of an enormous estate on the English country side. What more could you ask for? Small town of Masham is a nice scenic walk (around a mile) from the castle home. There's a golf course on the way to Masham, and don't forget to have a brew at the Black Sheep Brewery in town. My wife and I stayed 6 nights and couldn't ask more from the staff at Swinton Park. Food was great and the cooking courses we took were very entertaining and educational. I did the full day falconry experience which was incredible. Massages at the Swinton Park spa were also excellent. I didn't have time to do any fishing or shooting while we were there, but we really enjoyed walking and exploring the grounds around the estate. Con: Since we were staying 6 nights, we had everything on the menu at dinner, plus a few repeats of our favorites. They realized this and provided ribeye steaks as another option. I would recommend a few more items on the menu to accommodate the long term guests.
"Stunning castle, amazing town, awesome grounds"
07/22/15 Leon N Colchester, United Kingdom
This place is worth the money. We stayed for 1 night as a birthday present, and it was awesome. We originally thought things would be quite stuck up, however this definatley was not the case! Staff were amazingly helpful, rooms were excellent. The Food was amazing! One word of caution: If you was going to do the walk to the druids, you will need to go across some fields with some livestock in them (sheep usually), and the trail is not very well trodden. Some places we needed to forge a new path. Take correct walking boots and trousers - not jeans like I did. It may get a little muddy!. The druids temple however is stunning and amazing!
"Combination of High Class and Dirty"
07/21/15 ProctorParquette Manchester, New Hampshire
Overall this place was wonderful. 7 course meal for dinner was really well done and super fun. Grounds and common areas were spectacular and made you feel like an aristocrat. Our room was good sized and well-appointed but it was dirty in places. Like the greasy smears around the light switches, the crusty thing on the rim of the toilet, and the spatters around the bathroom mirror. Sure the bed was clean and the floor vaccuumed, but they must not pay attention to the details besides those things they clean/change daily. The weirdest part was that I saw people dusting the stair railing and the wainscoting daily. Not sure how our dirt got missed, but it certainly wasn't a one-time thing. It takes months for my light switches to get grimy like that. I hate to harp on that too much because everything else was great, but I expected more from an expensive classy place like this.
"Lunch and park tour"
07/21/15 beverleygreed bradford
What a wonderful day out. Took my husband for his birthday. Had a brilliant day, despite the British weather. Meal top class. The staff couldn't have been more friendlier. Even the owner herself came to chat. Many thanks to Mandy and staff for the excellent. Tour of grounds. We will always remember it.
"Truly Incredible!"
07/19/15 SimonL1 Derbyshire, England
We stayed for 2 nights at this most incredible hotel, the whole experience was made even more magical for my new fiancé and I by the efforts of all the staff who go out of their way to provide a world class service. We cannot recommend this hotel strongly enough and we would like to thank all of the staff for a truly memorable stay. In particular we would like to thank Dan and his wife, his son Luke, John, Sophia, Richard, Alberto and Helen who arranged the whole weekend for us. We would also like to thank Nicole and Tess from the riding centre. The hotel and grounds are beautiful and the location is breath taking. Well done and thank you all! Simon & Sophia
"Afternoon tea, was delightful."
07/16/15 nasaYorkshire yorkshire
As a group of friends, we had arranged a surprise tea for an 80th birthday. What a lovely setting for it. We had the dining room to ourselves, and it was so personal. The staff were very attentive, enabling us to dress up the room, allowed us our own choice of music and to keep it a surprise until she walked through the door. Nothing was too much trouble, could we nominate a young man named Charlton as he delivered outstanding service for us. The tea and coffee flowed, the sandwiches delicious. Our only small bugbear was perhaps more variety of cakes..... The hotel and grounds are superb, will be back to explore more as we had limited time.