All hotels in Waterford, Ireland

• Value
    Awesome vibe
    Comfortable
    Bad internet service
"Good location. The price was right. Clean."
Beds were a little hard and the pillows were terrible. Food plentiful and good. I don't know why but I felt like I had to sleep in my clothes. Why doesn't Ireland hotels provide a topsheet. The comforter was too hot but you needed something...
Other trip Sep 14, 2015
"Wonderful staff, Hotel is so-so."
Definitely only a 2 star hotel. It reeked of fresh paint which was very unpleasant. The bed was hard and the springs poked us. The pillows were hard as a rock. Room was tiny. The breakfast was fair but also quite reasonable. The only thing making it acceptable was the staff who are all very kind and went out of their way in every regard.
Response by Portree
Sorry to hear this Heather. Like all hotels and guesthouses in Ireland, January and February are the quiet months when painting and renovations tend to be done. We don't put any guests into freshly painted rooms for at least a week, but for the common areas it's difficult for us to avoid some smell when we are painting - we took over the business in September and these jobs need to be done but for next year we will look at closing parts of the guesthouse completely when we need to paint. We're in the process of replacing mattresses also. When I provided additional pillows on request, you'd indicated you were happy with what I'd given you so it's unfortunate this wasn't the case as we're always happy to accommodate any guest request that we can. While we don't have everything a 5 star hotel might have, for the price we do think we provide a high quality service so it's always disappointing when guests don't feel the same. While larger hotels can be more suited to some guests, I would say they wouldn't have looked after you as well while you were sick etc but it's horses for courses. Hope you enjoyed the rest of your time in Ireland regardless
2 night romance trip Feb 14, 2015

"Best times"
The staff was very nice, very clean and great location.
2 night romance trip Oct 19, 2015
Matic
Very clean and cozy, great staff and location. On a quiet location close to the city centre - perfect.
1 night trip with friends Sep 11, 2015
"OK nothing much."
Dated but comfortable and basic. Good internet, parking included safe premise. price pernight is quite dear. Its a hostel/bnb rather than a hotel. Room was on second floor and no lift. Plus side: shared kitchen available for basic cooking. Room clean and comfortable bed pillows. no shower/shampoo gel but towel included.
Response by Portree
Very glad you enjoyed our kitchen and fast internet but I'm sorry to hear there are other aspects of your stay you didn't like. We are a registered guesthouse rather than a hotel, as you point out, and don't have a lift but I think on all these aspects we are fairly clear on our profile. We would like to think we're competitively priced but room prices throughout Waterford go up slightly during the Summer. Having said all that we take your points on board and hope the rest of your trip went well. All the best Ciaran
5 night business trip Jul 12, 2015
"Hotel just a one minute walk from city center"
The staff were very friendly and helpful. I arrived and the staff advised where the best attractions in the city were. I thought my room was very nice (spacious). It is just stroll from the city center. I found the city very nice in general and enjoyed my stay.
Other trip Mar 29, 2015
"Excellent value and friendly staff"
Very close to town centre. Great price and service.
Response by Portree
Thanks Garry. Always nice to hear positive feedback and I hope we'll see you back some day.
1 night trip Mar 26, 2015
Garry
"Nice guest house with atmosphere!"
Stay well for for 5 days, and have extended for further 3 weeks....! Coffee and tea facilities at common room, incl. a Nespresso machine - you can bring along your own capsules. It is not luxurious, but relaxing atmosphere added kindly service by the owners.
Response by Portree
Thank you Gustav. Was great having you here and you're welcome back any time.
5 night business trip Feb 27, 2015
Gustav Borup

"Correct, sans plus"
Cuisine très petite.propreté de la chambre douteux (poils dans la douche). Proche d'une épicerie et du coin touristique.
Response by Portree
Je suis très désolé d'entendre que vous ne l'avez pas profiter de votre séjour. Nous avons des normes très élevées de propreté - si vous avez trouvé un cheveu Je ne peux que présenter des excuses, mais chaque partie de chaque chambre est nettoyée à fond une fois un invité feuilles. En ce qui concerne la cuisine - seul un nombre limité de personnes peuvent l'utiliser en même temps, mais il est rare que tout le monde veut l'utiliser à la fois. Je pense qu'il est injuste de nous évaluer si mal sur cette si elle était occupée lorsque vous étiez ici, car il est une installation que la plupart des maisons d'hôtes ne fournissent pas du tout. De même, vous avez dit que vous aimez l'emplacement, mais nous avez également classé mal à ce sujet.
2 night romance trip Aug 11, 2015
DE

TripAdvisor reviews for Portree Hostel

"Recommend 100%"
02/01/16 Raquel V
I recommend 100% this hostel. The bedrooms are comfortable, all the rooms (kitchen, bedroom, living room...) are very clean, and the atmosphere with the staff is amazing. I was very well here and I have good memories in this place. If I return to Waterford, I will stay in the Portree House other time!!
"Winterval 2015"
12/16/15 Debsmcderms County Monaghan, Ireland
This was my second stay in Portree. It is ideally located. Walking distance of city centre but quiet. Off street parking. I love the relaxed atmosphere. After a day of shopping and wandering around Waterford's Winterval we fell into the cosy sofas in the common room for a complimentary cuppa. Our twin room was clean, warm and quiet. Comfy beds, saorview tv, full length mirror, plenty of sockets for phones, hair dryers and straighteners!!! Tasty full breakfast each morning to send us on our merry way.
"Best hostel in Waterford "
12/10/15 Jack M
Ciaran is an excellent host. Top shelf accommodation and staff. Easily the best hostel I have stayed in a country of wonderful accommodations. Easy to find and close to restaurants and pubs/nightclubs. Will stay here again on my next trip to Ireland.
"Wonderful little hostel"
11/22/15 178katjap Berlin, Germany
A cosy small hostel in Waterford. Really enjoyed the stay. Welcoming, friendly staff always available for assistance, nice rooms without bunk beds even, and a snug common room/ kitchen.For hostel standards the breakfast included was fine (choice of bread, cereal and even orange juice). Coffee, tea and wifi available for free, what else could you ask for. Definitely recommended, I will return for sure!
"Exceeded our expectations!"
11/12/15 Breanna0628 Ottawa, Canada
Portree Guest House exceeded our expectations. We had a private room which was clean, cozy and romantic. We had our own bathroom too which was great. The area is quiet and so is the hotel, we didn't hear anyone else. The bed was very comfortable and the staff were friendly. Would recommend a stay here.
"I'll be back"
11/09/15 johnwoodside
A cosy guest house with friendly staff and a communal atmosphere, great for groups of friends or backpackers. Nice, clean and reasonably priced rooms. Situated near the river and only a short walk away from the city centre. I'll be staying again next time I'm in Waterford.
"Fantastic hostel - would highly recommend!"
11/08/15 Nathalie H
This was one of the friendliest hostels I have ever stayed in! The staff are all lovely and the volunteers, who come from all over the world, are very welcoming. The beds (yes, beds, not bunks!) are super comfy and only five or six to a room. Plenty of room to spread out so no one was falling over packs and suitcases. Lockers available and the staff were happy to let you leave bags in the hostel for a few hours on checkout day. Nice cozy common area/kitchen which is great to hang out in if it's too wet to be out in the garden. It's always warm thanks to the big old aga! If you are sick of the normal hostel breakfast of free toast and cereal, you can get a full Irish Breakfast upstairs in the Guesthouse dining room. Portree House is walking distance from everything you could want to do in Waterford (don't miss the factory tour at Waterford Crystal) and is a stone's throw from a big Aldi. Overall would definitely recommend staying here :)
"Great Stay :)"
11/02/15 brianmoore2015 County Waterford, Ireland
This place is great and really enjoyed my stay there, I was originally supposed to stay just one night but ended up staying three and the staff were very accommodating with this, the beds were comfy, the guest lounge was cool and certainly very relaxing and pleasant with tea and coffee facilities and is a great way to interact with other guests, all of this along with very friendly and helpful staff made this guesthouse feel like a home away from home. In fact I found it so relaxing I did oversleep on two mornings past the check out time but the guys were very cool and understanding of that (apologies again guys haha) Great free wifi connection too in the rooms/lounge I would be very happy to here again and of course would recommend it to friends and fellow reviewers. Thanks again for a lovely stay guys:) Traveled solo. To visit friends.
"Cosy, relaxed and friendly - second home in Waterford."
10/07/15 GerZech Clones
We have stayed in Portree House (2 adults, 3 children) a number of times and it's one of the cosiest, friendliest and most relaxed places we've stayed in as a family. We had a very large family room upstairs in the guesthouse - quiet and clean. Delicious full Irish breakfast and very relaxed lounge with wifi, tea and coffee and big sofas. The staff do their utmost to help and are really friendly. Yes, it's an old house, but Ciaran and team are obviously working hard to update and renovate as they go along. Huge walled garden at the back - quiet and private. We ate our dinner on both nights out there.. Right in town, free parking - what's not to love? We will definitely be back...
"Second home!!"
10/07/15 martamf24 Barcelona, Spain
I spent in this hostel almost a month and I can't say any bad think about this place; I was feeling like home from the biginning. The staff is warm and helpful, trying to make feel everyone at home. If you need to relax and sleep is your hostel, but also the staff and guests are always open to party, making from time to time also a BBQ, pizza night or chinese night where everybody is welcome. The hostel is clean and spacious with a back garden where u can relax (of course, if the weather wants!), but also you can watch a movie or use the computer anytime. Is the cheapest place in Waterford and for me is more than enough all that they can offer. Is an small hostel, so it is quiet and familiar. But also is a guest house, so if you ant more privacy you can choose one of the private rooms upstairs. Also is so centric. The breakfast is included and has bread, jam, milk, tea, cereals....but also they offer you a full irish breakfast apart from the room. I recomend this place 100%