All hotels in Waterford, Ireland
10 Mary StreetWaterfordWaterfordIreland, ‏‎800-491-6126

• Value for money
    Decent vibe
    Comfortable
"Good location. The price was right. Clean."
Beds were a little hard and the pillows were terrible. Food plentiful and good. I don't know why but I felt like I had to sleep in my clothes. Why doesn't Ireland hotels provide a topsheet. The comforter was too hot but you needed something...
Other trip Sep 14, 2015
"Wonderful staff, Hotel is so-so."
Definitely only a 2 star hotel. It reeked of fresh paint which was very unpleasant. The bed was hard and the springs poked us. The pillows were hard as a rock. Room was tiny. The breakfast was fair but also quite reasonable. The only thing making it acceptable was the staff who are all very kind and went out of their way in every regard.
Response by Portree
Sorry to hear this Heather. Like all hotels and guesthouses in Ireland, January and February are the quiet months when painting and renovations tend to be done. We don't put any guests into freshly painted rooms for at least a week, but for the common areas it's difficult for us to avoid some smell when we are painting - we took over the business in September and these jobs need to be done but for next year we will look at closing parts of the guesthouse completely when we need to paint. We're in the process of replacing mattresses also. When I provided additional pillows on request, you'd indicated you were happy with what I'd given you so it's unfortunate this wasn't the case as we're always happy to accommodate any guest request that we can. While we don't have everything a 5 star hotel might have, for the price we do think we provide a high quality service so it's always disappointing when guests don't feel the same. While larger hotels can be more suited to some guests, I would say they wouldn't have looked after you as well while you were sick etc but it's horses for courses. Hope you enjoyed the rest of your time in Ireland regardless
2 night romance trip Feb 14, 2015

The following English reviews were posted by hotel guests from other countries:

"Mike"
Good for what you pay for. No real issues apart from the shower.
2 night family trip Mar 19, 2016
"nice experience"
Was a nice stay. Helpful staff. :)
1 night business trip Mar 4, 2016
Friendly staff, great location
Response by Portree
Thanks John Glad to hear you enjoyed your stay! Hopefully we'll see you back again.
1 night business trip Mar 1, 2016
"Best times"
The staff was very nice, very clean and great location.
Response by Portree
Thanking you Matic. very glad you enjoyed your time with us. I hope all is well with you. All the best
2 night romance trip Oct 19, 2015
Matic
Very clean and cozy, great staff and location. On a quiet location close to the city centre - perfect.
Response by Portree
Thanks for the great review. You're welcome back any time. All the best
1 night trip with friends Sep 11, 2015
"OK nothing much."
Dated but comfortable and basic. Good internet, parking included safe premise. price pernight is quite dear. Its a hostel/bnb rather than a hotel. Room was on second floor and no lift. Plus side: shared kitchen available for basic cooking. Room clean and comfortable bed pillows. no shower/shampoo gel but towel included.
Response by Portree
Very glad you enjoyed our kitchen and fast internet but I'm sorry to hear there are other aspects of your stay you didn't like. We are a registered guesthouse rather than a hotel, as you point out, and don't have a lift but I think on all these aspects we are fairly clear on our profile. We would like to think we're competitively priced but room prices throughout Waterford go up slightly during the Summer. Having said all that we take your points on board and hope the rest of your trip went well. All the best Ciaran
5 night business trip Jul 12, 2015
"Hotel just a one minute walk from city center"
The staff were very friendly and helpful. I arrived and the staff advised where the best attractions in the city were. I thought my room was very nice (spacious). It is just stroll from the city center. I found the city very nice in general and enjoyed my stay.
Other trip Mar 29, 2015
"Excellent value and friendly staff"
Very close to town centre. Great price and service.
Response by Portree
Thanks Garry. Always nice to hear positive feedback and I hope we'll see you back some day.
1 night trip Mar 26, 2015
Garry
"Nice guest house with atmosphere!"
Stay well for for 5 days, and have extended for further 3 weeks....! Coffee and tea facilities at common room, incl. a Nespresso machine - you can bring along your own capsules. It is not luxurious, but relaxing atmosphere added kindly service by the owners.
Response by Portree
Thank you Gustav. Was great having you here and you're welcome back any time.
5 night business trip Feb 27, 2015
Gustav Borup

The following reviews were posted by hotel guests from other countries:

"Correct, sans plus"
Cuisine très petite.propreté de la chambre douteux (poils dans la douche). Proche d'une épicerie et du coin touristique.
Response by Portree
Je suis très désolé d'entendre que vous ne l'avez pas profiter de votre séjour. Nous avons des normes très élevées de propreté - si vous avez trouvé un cheveu Je ne peux que présenter des excuses, mais chaque partie de chaque chambre est nettoyée à fond une fois un invité feuilles. En ce qui concerne la cuisine - seul un nombre limité de personnes peuvent l'utiliser en même temps, mais il est rare que tout le monde veut l'utiliser à la fois. Je pense qu'il est injuste de nous évaluer si mal sur cette si elle était occupée lorsque vous étiez ici, car il est une installation que la plupart des maisons d'hôtes ne fournissent pas du tout. De même, vous avez dit que vous aimez l'emplacement, mais nous avez également classé mal à ce sujet.
2 night romance trip Aug 11, 2015
robert
1 night trip with friends Jul 18, 2015
1 night business trip May 19, 2015

TripAdvisor reviews for Portree House

"Good Inn/Hostel in Waterford"
04/22/16 Brendan C Baltimore, Maryland
The Portree has both private rooms and hostel facilities. I stayed two nights in a private room. First, the location is excellent, just across the river from the train station and a few minutes from the bus station. Most of the attractions visitors would be interested in are within 15-20 minutes walk. The room I had was on the small side but clean and the bed was comfortable, so not a big deal. The bath on the other hand was the only minor negative. No problem with cleanliness, but like in a lot of older places, I think the en suite bath was built into a corner of the room and the shower stall into a corner of that, so it was tiny. I could barely move without banging into a wall. But I got used to it by the second day and again not a big deal. The staff is young, international, friendly and helpful. Breakfast options included an Irish fry up and a continental buffet. Both are good, not fantastic but nothing at all to complain about. All told, the Portree is a very good option for anyone looking for well located, friendly budget accommodation in Waterford.
"Amazing stay in Portree!"
03/15/16 Frank R Leeuwarden, The Netherlands
I had an amazing time in this hostel!! The dorm room was good and the facilities were great too. Furtheremore, the hostel was really cozy and the atmosphere was wonderful. But what really stood out for me was the staff. They made me feel at home in no time and they made the experience I had there truly magnificent! Thank you so much guys:)
"Love Portee"
03/10/16 Puck S
Amazing hostel! The rooms are big, clean and cozy and the location is superb, close to the river and the city centre. What makes Portree really stands out though is the lovely staff. I've never before been in a hostel that was so welcoming. I came to Waterford by myself but didn't have to feel alone for a minute. Would come back here any time!
"Felt like home!"
03/08/16 Mirjam H Waterford, Ireland
It's the best hostel I ever visited!!! Location is great, staff is very friendly and doorm rooms are nice and big....I highly recommend it!!! It was definitely my best hostel experience ever and I doubt that anything can top this.
"Cosy frendly hostel of Waterford"
03/08/16 VictorVanhoeke Lille, France
Oh god that was cool, awesome way of thinking from the staff and the resident ! Above that, nice location near to the centre the bus station and a supermarket. And for the living over there, every rooms are clean, bedrooms are comfy, free breakfast is always welcome with open arms, and the staff is always at your listening ! Oh and there is a guitar, a ukulele, and a freaking bass guitar in the commun area
"Best hostel I've ever stayed in"
03/08/16 Elisa_Als
This hostel is lovely, especially thanks to the staff. I received the warmest welcome ever, and for the whole duration of my stay everyone was incredibly helpful and friendly! Best atmosphere ever, really! More on the practical side, the place is also clean and comfortable, the kitchen well equipped and the position perfect to explore Waterford. Also great breakfast and very convenient lockers super close to where I slept. The wi-fi coverage was also very good. Came to visit the city, but Portree alone will be a good reason to come back. Would recommend to anyone!
"Recommend 100%"
02/01/16 Raquel V
I recommend 100% this hostel. The bedrooms are comfortable, all the rooms (kitchen, bedroom, living room...) are very clean, and the atmosphere with the staff is amazing. I was very well here and I have good memories in this place. If I return to Waterford, I will stay in the Portree House other time!!
"Winterval 2015"
12/16/15 Debsmcderms County Monaghan, Ireland
This was my second stay in Portree. It is ideally located. Walking distance of city centre but quiet. Off street parking. I love the relaxed atmosphere. After a day of shopping and wandering around Waterford's Winterval we fell into the cosy sofas in the common room for a complimentary cuppa. Our twin room was clean, warm and quiet. Comfy beds, saorview tv, full length mirror, plenty of sockets for phones, hair dryers and straighteners!!! Tasty full breakfast each morning to send us on our merry way.
"Best hostel in Waterford "
12/10/15 Jack M
Ciaran is an excellent host. Top shelf accommodation and staff. Easily the best hostel I have stayed in a country of wonderful accommodations. Easy to find and close to restaurants and pubs/nightclubs. Will stay here again on my next trip to Ireland.
"Wonderful little hostel"
11/22/15 178katjap Berlin, Germany
A cosy small hostel in Waterford. Really enjoyed the stay. Welcoming, friendly staff always available for assistance, nice rooms without bunk beds even, and a snug common room/ kitchen.For hostel standards the breakfast included was fine (choice of bread, cereal and even orange juice). Coffee, tea and wifi available for free, what else could you ask for. Definitely recommended, I will return for sure!