All hotels in Rome, Italy
You can collect Welcome Rewards® nights hereVia Merulana 240, Rome, RM, 00185, Italy, ‏‎800-491-6126

"Merulana Star- bra ställe för familjen"
Förutom att sängarna inte var sådär helt fantastiskt bekväma så tycker jag Merulana Star funkar bra som hotell för stora och små. Badrummet är galet litet, hade jag haft små barn som behöver hjälp i duschen hade det blivit lite knöligt. Belysningen därinne var inte heller super men det funkar eftersom man inte sitter på hotellet och hänger några längre stunder. Gratis wifi funkade hela vägen ut till fiket utanför dörren, bra när man skulle kommunicera med omvärlden över en kaffe eller öl. Trots att det var +25 hela veckan var vårt um svalt och skönt, men man kunde inte ha fösntret öppet på natten pga trafiken. Sammantaget kan man säga att det är sämre än vilket Scandichotell som helst i Sverige, men läget och trevlig personal, rent, fräscht etc gör att det ändå var värt att vi fick lägga ut pengar som ett ordinärt busniessrum i Sverige över valborgshelgen.
5 night family trip Apr 26, 2012
3 night trip Jul 26, 2012
DK
2 night trip Jun 21, 2012
SE
"Lähellä Colosseumia, puistoa, metroa:)"
7 night trip Apr 20, 2012
Tuija
FI

TripAdvisor reviews for Hotel Merulana Star

"Great Value and Service!"
05/16/14 Allison0710 Athens, Georgia
Alessandro, the owner of this hotel, is one of the nicest people I have ever met. He went above and beyond to help my mother and I with our trip. We missed the last train to Milan on our last night in Rome. We had no where to stay, and it seemed like everywhere was booked. Alessandro spent over an hour on the phone until well after midnight just to find us a room for the night. We were so grateful, but sad that we could not stay another night at Merulana Star! The hotel is clean, comfortable, and close to many major attractions. When I return to Rome, I will definetly be staying here!
"Great location at affordable price."
02/02/14 Franceskys Naples, Italy
The hotel I want to review is Merulana Star. It is a cheap, one star hotel, located at first floor of a building in Via Merulana, close both Colosseo area and main railways station, Roma Termini (less than 10 minutes on foot). It is a family-run hotel; the staff is very friendly and reception is 24h open. There are a few rooms, from single to multiple beds. Every room has a private bathroom (wc, shower and basin; towels are included), a tv, and a safe. Furthermore, the location is amazing: you can get Colosseo, Fori imperiali and San Pietro in Vincoli with a short walk. Moreover, the surrounding area is quiet and safe, so the hotel is recommended also for girls and backpacker. Last but not least, prices are really reasonable: €36 for a single room; €45 for a three-beds room (plus €2 for each person as tourist tax). Neverthless, many things aren't so good: the furniture is quite old and the rooms are slightly narrow. Breakfast isn't included in price (it cost €5). However, for this price you could be satisfied. To sum up, there are more benefits then drawback, so I would recommend it to young people on budget and families.
"Lovely stay when in Rome"
01/23/14 Justyna J Warsaw, Poland
I have stayed in Merulana for two nights in January 2014 and I am really happy I chose this hotel. It was a really good value for money in my eyes. The location is perfect. Couldn't ask for a better one, it is 10 min walk from Termini Train/Bus station and 10 min walk to Coloseum. I admit that one problem we did experience was that the bed was a twin and it was hard to make it into a double one as it was sliding apart and the bathroom could have been nicer maybe but I anyway loved the room and would gladly come back. Biggest thumbs up for the man sitting in reception :) he was so nice, positive and attentive to any question we had. I can warmly recommend this place.
"No English service"
01/08/14 Kat A Helsinki, Finland
We arrived to find out that our reservation did not exist, although we had a confirmation from Hotels.com about it. To make things a bit difficult, the man at the front desk did not speak English, so after some very confusing non-conversations we received our room. However, it was about twice the cost than what we had initially agreed on... The room was "fine". The included breakfast was a joke: we got a small ticket to walk across the street and have 1 beverage and 1 pastry. I have stayed in Rome previously and at least the included breakfast had some yoghurt, coffee, fruit etc. The good thing about this hotel is that it is quite close to the Colosseum. But you are better to find a cheaper hotel, as this one was quite over priced for what you are getting.
"Shocked at first."
06/26/13 NikitaAmrein Canberra, Australia
I am an 18 year old australian girl, I wouldn't say that I am back packing but I am traveling. I stayed at the Merulana Star for 4 nights. I arrived in Italy at CIA airport and from there I caught a shuttle bus into Termini station. It was late at night and getting dark, but I managed to find Via Merulana (the street on which the hotel is located). Finding the hotel was at first, confusing because I was looking for an entrance to any normal hotel, but instead I found, on a gold name plate beside massive old doors, the hotels name and address. It stated that if you are staying at the hotel to press the buzzer that was on name plate. After that I went inside the door, which is quite an effort to open while carrying such a big suitcase. After the first door, there is a second door but that one is a lit easier to pass. That will lead you into the stair way. Don't be alarmed... there is a lift, however the lift is tiny and I was only just able to fit my suitcase in. The lift is obviously old and anyone who has a fear of lifts and is carrying a lot of luggage, I suggest you find a different hotel. Anyway once I passed all that the hotel is the first floor of the building and the man at reception was very nice and saw I was tired so he did quick paper work so I could sit down in the room for a bit and finish the rest once I settle in a bit, which I really liked. Once I settled in a sat down for a bit I came back out and finished all paper work. He then, using his best english, gave me two maps and on one he circled where the hotel is and where all the big tourist sites are. He also suggested the best route to walk and which buses and metro lines where the best to take back to the hotel. I thought this was extremely nice how he tried to say it all in english. But now moving on to the room, well when I booked the hotel I seemed to have missed the part that said this was a One Star Hotel. So needless to say I was VERY shocked to walk in and see all the marks on the walls. It was very off putting, but because I am a 'messy teenager' I guess I very easily saw past that and it wasn't too bad for the price and location. If you were very picky then the following would probably bother you: 1) Mold in corner of the shower 2) Dirty marks on the walls 3) The cupboard is very unstable 4) Aircon and Wifi were each €5 per day That is really the only few things that bothered me at first but I saw past them. The MAJOR 'EEK' was the room key/ security...... the room key was VERY generic and I would say if all the keys were the same then my key probably could have opened every room. As the key was handed to me for the first time I was a little concerned but to make me feel safer I lodged my massive suitcase infront of the door so it couldn't be opened from the outside. The street we stayed on was a fairly busy street and was easily fixed by closing the windows. The room was cleaned daily and the cleaner even lined my shoes up nicely at the end of my bed each day! Over all, this hotel for the price, was really good. I would reccomend for added peace of mind to have a lock for your suit case while you go out of the room.
"Disappointing"
01/10/13 romantic_explorer London, United Kingdom
We travelled in July 2011 and stayed here for 3 nights. The room was very small, cramped and uncomfortable and the bathroom even smaller even by usual Europe standards. For the amount that we paid, we could have found a much better accommodation in Rome. The location was good and at a walkable distance from the colosseum and metro station. However overall a very disappointing stay...
"Good value for the money"
10/08/12 Kevin A Rolesville, North Carolina
The room was just a bed and a bathroom which was right by the busy street. No AC, but considering the price it worked just fine for us as a young couple as we only used the room to sleep. Location was a 10 minute walk from the central train station where trains throughout Italy leave and buses to the airport leave
"Not bad"
08/18/12 __loveroftravel__735 Perth
Hotel was in walking distance from several cafes and a supermarket (handy). room was spacious and clean and had a fridge. wifi and aircon were each 5 euro a day. wifi and aircon is generally free in hostels/hotel so this was not great. when you are a backpackers these extra costs can add up! walking distance from metro which was really handy! no breakfast but that was okay as we would get food from supermarket. area was safe and nice. hotel was secure and trustworthy.
"a good cost to quality ratio"
07/30/12 Rome
The location is great. In Rome you basically use your room to sleep in - you don`t sit there much so there isn`t much you need :)
"Awful experience! Dirty 1* hotel with rude and greedy staff!"
07/12/12 Priyanka_Pali Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Stayed at Merulana Star with my parents for 4 nights last week on our trip through UK, France and Italy. This was our last stop before hading back home. A very frank suggestion, DO NOT STAY HERE. There are so many hotels near the station and much much better than this 1* dirty hotel with rude italian staff (no offence against italians!). To start with, the person behind the desk (who says he is the owner) was extremely rude and did not let anyone speak. He was full of attitude and behaved as if he paid us to stay and not vice-versa. There is no sign on the street for the hotel (except a small name plate next to the 10000 kg huge door) which you have to stand in front of the door and then only will you be able to see it! Then press the buzzer and wait on the street till the door is opened (lets not talk about safety issues here as anyone can press the buzzer and there is no camera inside to see who it is at the door). We were travelling with luggage and it was very difficult to drag everything to the hotel from Roma Termini station. The lift is size of a tiny box which fits maximum two bags and one person at a time! We were extremely tired by the time we reached the hotel and it was our mistake to ask the person behind the reception that why no sign for the hotel as he said in his rude tone 'this is how it is in Roma, no sigh for one star (1*) hotels in Roma. You stay another place if you want sign!'. wow! awesome start to the stay! Then we see our tiny smelly room, and peep into the bathroom to find out that there is no toilet seat in the bathroom. The a/c was kept on the floor inside the room, and was leaking water (so was the fridge) which we discovered when we came back in the evening and saw our luggage was completely wet :-( ... The hand towels were dirty and looked as if they were folded back by the hotel people without washing. No cleaning done daily. Only once in 3 days as informed by the person behind the reception. There was water clogging inside the shower too.. (eeekksss!) The last day was worse of all. When I asked him why he did not charge me the exchange rate on the day of booking (which was in early May) and why he charged me the rate on the last day of our stay, he started shouting and saying that 'this is not Paris, this is not Venice, this is Roma, this is how it happens here, you want a cheaper rate go someplace else' and was literally a couple of inches away from my face when he was shouting and threatened to call the police (he even dialled a fake call to someone saying he has called the police). Gosh! so much drama for just asking one question! I booked a place earlier with my credit card so that I get best rates in terms of my currency. Its not the first time I am staying at a hotel overseas and everyplace else I was charged the amount of the day I did online booking!! Simple cheating!! They even charged me 3 Euros for a broken glass cup. 3 Euros!!! Rome is full of pick-pockets everywhere.. on the bus, in the train, inside the famous places to see and even this hotel! It was a mistake to stay at this cheap and rude 1* hotel. The hotel was almost empty while we stayed and now I can guess why! Book early and stay at atleast a 3* in Rome.. every building has a hotel there.