All hotels in San Francisco, California, United States of America
1353 Bush Street, San Francisco, CA, 94109, United States of America, ‏‎800-491-6126

2.9
Don't stay here. It smells weird. The shared bathroom situation is not fun. The neighborhood is absolutely terrible. The decor is funky and not is a cool way. Spend a few more bucks and stay in a better place.
2 night romance trip Jun 22, 2015
"Upscale hostel in SF"
Although my room had a private bath, Encore Express is basically a hostel, but seems like a pretty nice one. The interior is nothing fancy, but was very clean and well decorated. Room was basic with a cheap desk and dresser, but had a 4-poster bed and decent towels and was very clean. Wi-fi worked well. The room was on an interior courtyard/air shaft, so the ventilation from the window was pretty meager. My only complaint was that the window would not stay open, so I had to prop it open by taking one of the drawers from the desk and sticking it in the window opening to keep the sash from sliding back down. Neighborhood was not great, but was okay and perfectly safe. Street parking is available on nearby streets if you don't mind a bit of a search. Not sure I would go back to this hotel again, but for young, budget travelers it might be just right.
2 night trip Jun 12, 2015
"Wasn't great but wasn't terrible either"
My fiancé and I got tickets to see a concert at the Regency Ballroom and we didn't want to drive home after th show. I decided to look for hotel rooms that were cheap and close by. The encore express hit both of those qualifiers. I read the reviews and was a little leary about booking but I figured "hey it can't be that bad for one night". It wasn't bad but it wasn't great either. You have to pay for parking in the parking garage next door which runs $22.50 per day or you can take your chances on street parking. You also have to be buzzed in to the hotel. The only way to get in is with a room key. The hotel is very clearly older and it does have a shared bathroom. The shared bathroom situation isn't terrible and you do get a sink in the room. The rooms are old and outdated but they are clean. The guy at the front desk was friendly. Also make note that the basement of the hotel is a recording studio that can be rented out and you can hear the muffled sounds of whatever musicians are down there.
1 night romance trip May 26, 2015
Breana
"The Hostel Experience."
Decided to take a spur of the moment trip to SF, unfortunately, it was the weekend of the "bay to breakers" run, so this was literally the last hotel in town with rooms. I was with a friend, so I was trying to find a room with two beds, but given the choice between blurring the lines between bromance and romance, and sleeping in Golden Gate Park, I took a single bed room here. On checking in and asking if there were any rooms with double beds, he told me this was a "hostel style" hotel, and that they had only single bed rooms. Entering the room confirmed it - it looked, smelled and felt just like a hostel I stayed at in London, sans bunk bed. Some reviews mentioned a noise issue at night, and complained about the neighborhood. I didn't find either to be a problem. The location is nice. It was maybe a 10 minute bus ride from the Bolt terminal, and a short walk to several good restaurants, bars, and the Asian Art Museum. The shared bathrooms were clean. All-in-all, if you're a thrifty traveller who's accustomed to hostels, this place should do the trick nicely for you. If you're expecting a true "hotel" experience, you'd better fork over the $40+ more per night and go with Motel 6/equivalent.
2 night trip with friends May 15, 2015
Joshua
"Neat little place, esp. if you're a music lover"
We were in town to see Faith No More @ The Warfield and this was perfect for us. The hotel is only a few miles away. (About a $5 / 10 minute uber ride) The guy running the desk was super chill and nice. We didn't catch his name but we called him Garth. Check in was easy. The room itself was nothing fancy but it was fine for us. It was clean and in fairly good condition. It had the promised amenities (refrigerator, microwave, attached bathroom) Most rooms here have shared bathrooms in the hall but we paid a little extra for the private one, I'm glad we did because the shared one was busy. The room was pretty freakin small but was fine for us. We were looking for something close to the Warfield that was clean, had a private bathroom and wasn't ridiculously expensive. This was literally the only place that fit the bill that night. The place is obviously under renovation and will surely be even nicer soon. The parking around here kinda sucks but there is street parking available. The neighborhood is kinda sketch though so I would recommend using the neighboring parking garage. ($22.50 for the night) This place is really neat. The basement floor is practice spaces for bands. After we got back from our concert we wandered around and listened to some bands. This hotel is designed for bands to stay at and we really dug that. Support the arts and give this quirky place a shot.
1 night romance trip Apr 20, 2015
"Need to tell more about hotel"
Wish it would have been more clear that you had to share bathrooms with everyone.
1 night romance trip Apr 21, 2015
Tammy
"my stay at encore express."
Wasn't in the room much. But for its cost, it wasn't bad. The shower next to us wasn't in service, and the other bathroom on our floor smelled like sewage. Probably would not stay there again, maybe after some renovations? Staff was great though!
3 night romance trip Mar 27, 2015
"Very convenient and clean."
this location is close to everything and the staff was very helpful. Also the room and bathroom were very clean.
Other trip Mar 31, 2015
Rachel
"It was a good stay."
The rooms were nice and clean.The only problem is that you share the bathrooms with other people. Overall we had a good stay and the beds were comfortable. The price was not too expensive for a night.
1 night romance trip Mar 7, 2015
"The room was OK, when I could get into it."
I had a private room in the hostel which was decent and I was able to tolerate the constant noise from the rehearsal rooms underneath the hostel (bands practice until ~11PM) however getting locked out of my room for a night was inexcusable. My keycard became ineffective (this can easily occur if left within close proximity to a cell phone for example) and I became locked out of my room at 5AM in a pair of boxers and t-shirt after attempting to use the restroom (which I also needed the keycard to work for). There was absolutely no one I could contact to be let back into my room and consequently I had to wait until someone opened the office at 9AM. After spending an hour roaming the hallways looking for a contact number I was fortunate enough to be offered an empty bed in a 4 bunk bed room from one of the hostel occupants. Hours later, after explaining my situation to hotel staff I wasn't compensated, rather my situation was shrugged off as an unfortunate turn of events. Wow. There's no one in the office between 11PM-9AM so if you need something (e.g. to get into your room) your ---- out of luck. For this reason alone I wouldn't stay here again. I spent my 2nd week here living in fear that I would get locked out of my room again.
Other trip Mar 15, 2015
"Good choice in city center. Not a luxury hotel."
I love this place. Very comfortable, lots of character and convenient. I would definitely stay here again. This is an old-style urban hotel. You will have a small, safe, comfortable room right in the city center. You will use shared bathrooms, which are clean and in perfectly good condition. It's a 3 story walkup. The person at the front desk was perfectly friendly and helpful. If you like hotels at airports with large parking lots, or you require a breakfast bar or elevator, this isn't your place. There's no concierge. However, If you want to be right in the middle of the city when you walk out the door, then this is a great choice. Just be aware that the front door is locked when the office closes. I think it would be a problem if you show up late at night to check in, as you'll be locked out.
2 night trip Feb 28, 2015
Stanley
"Good location. Good price. Good experience."
I just needed a place to crash for a couple of nights, not a place to spend my time during the day. This place may have been a bit rough around the edges, but my room was clean and had a TV and refrigerator which was nice, but not essential. Can't beat the price.
Other trip Feb 24, 2015
"Very pleasant, affordable stay in SF"
The entire staff was awesome. They were friendly, welcoming, and Excell at customer service. They are on the mild non-pushing style; however, they all seem to take pride in their job. Very much enjoyed my stay.
1 night business trip Jan 25, 2015
Dawn
"very good"
I really enjoyed my stay. The receptionists gave excellent directions which made it was to get around. The bus were very handy. Thanks for everything
5 night trip with friends Jan 17, 2015
"Always clean and well managed"
My stay was wonderful and the staff was very helpful.
Other trip Jan 23, 2015
"Great hotel in the city"
Great hotel, cool location. Right in the city, close to bus stops and the cable car. Parking garage next door, good for over night if you can't find parking on the street. Connected to a music practice space but that's downstairs and its not loud at all. Actually really enjoy the faint sound of a band playing. If it becomes that much of an issue for you, they have free ear plugs at the front desk. Very friendly staff. Clean bathrooms. Yes they are shared bathrooms with the rest of the floor, but there are many bathrooms on the each floor. And a sink in the room, so it's not bad at all getting ready back in your room.
Other trip Jan 21, 2015
Gehrig
"Good price for Location"
Good location walkable to Union Sq. in 15-20 min. and 1.5 blks from Van Ness. Lots of restaurants and services on Polk St. w/i 1/2 blk and good/safe parking garage on corner. Good price but definitely not the ritz. Band practice space in basement adds to the vibe but also noise until about 11 PM. Had a shared bath and was clean and mostly available.
2 night family trip Jan 13, 2015
"This place smells"
Steep narrow stair case no bathrooms in rooms and a musty, moldy smell that lingered through the property needs to be renovated. Only perk was the location really close to Polk street
2 night trip with friends Nov 20, 2014
Harold
"Think of another place..."
IF not in the worst, this hotel is in one of the worst neighborhoods. Totally ruined my imagination of SF. Pictures look not too bad, but the hotel smells bad and is pretty old. My bed was the worst bed I've had in any hotel... I stayed there for four nights and didn't have any good sleep. Wouldn't recommend this hotel to anyone.
4 night business trip Nov 8, 2014
"Good hotel for price"
Separate bathrooms, no elevator. You get what you pay for
Other trip Oct 13, 2014
Traveler
"great value no complaints"
enjoyed the room and comfort close to places i always visit
Other trip Oct 2, 2014
george
"Cool concept!"
Neat place. Would be great for people really in to music. Bands would love this place
2 night business trip Sep 24, 2014
"It was good."
Overall my stay was good. I was expecting the worst and it was better than expected. It was a good experience with the shared bathrooms but I prefer not to share. I would stay again.
4 night trip with friends Sep 20, 2014
Yvonne
"Just a Party"
Perfect location to party down on Polk Street.....easy cab ride to anywhere else you wanna go. Never had to wait for a bathroom to open up and everything was clean and tidy. Got a little warm at night and had to sleep with the window open but no big deal.
2 night trip Aug 22, 2014
"Rock music hotel"
First above, you can enjoy rock music until 11:30 PM! Personally, my company and I were not much fond of music so it was VERY uncomfortable and interruptive. Second, there seemed to be construction going on near or at the hotel that started around 6 AM, which limits your morning sleep to a great extent. Third, the number of replaced towels significantly decreased over time. Other than these about the average.
4 night business trip Aug 10, 2014
"Cheap stay in San Francisco"
I needed to attend a conference in San Francisco on a very tight budget. Found this hotel online. For a cheap stay in San Francisco, this is a good enough place. I used the shared bathroom option. Although I was fortunate that this weekend the shower in my floor was functioning (the first floor shower was not), overall, just for sleeping, this is a good hotel for the price (no elevator, though).
Other trip Aug 13, 2014
Jorge
"You get what you pay for"
This hotel was functional. Went for Outside Lands and stayed here because it was one of the most reasonably prices hotel. Even though the bathroom and shower were shared, there was never a crazy wait for either. Our room qs cleaned everyday and staff was friendly. There was a well price parking garage one block over on Sutter. I wouldn't recommend parking on the street seeing how a truck was broken into on our second night right outside the hotel.
2 night trip with friends Aug 8, 2014
"Low, low budget digs"
I just needed an affordable place to stay and that's what I got. Very basic, but no elevator made for a tough hike up narrow, steep stairs and a so-so mattress. Three plusses: the cost was a bargain for peak tourist season in SF; the towels were surprisingly generous and absorbent; and my room was very quiet. No street noise and no boisterous tenants. On the edges of the Tenderloin, not the classiest neighborhood in town.
2 night business trip Aug 1, 2014
Patrick
"It's at a good spot to go anywhere in San francisc"
We stayt in sort of an appartment with privat bathroom. The hotel and room has a lot off curiosa, that's fun. The bed was good. The shower was for little people and didn't work that well. We experienced some issues with the housekeeping but after connecting with the reception they made up for that.the people at the reception are nice and helpfull.
4 night trip Jul 25, 2014
Catharina
"Fantastic Value"
I had a great stay - common bathrooms were clean and I never had to wait. Noise on the 2nd floor was not a problem, from the band practice space on the ground floor. I would stay here again. Good restaurants within walking distance.
3 night trip Jul 15, 2014
"okay stay"
I booked this hotel for its location. The room was much smaller than I anticipated, and it was a little difficult with the shared bathroom and shower situation, but we made it work. Sometimes there was no one waiting and other times there was a line! Overall the stay wasn't to bad and the staff were all very pleasant.
2 night trip with friends Jun 27, 2014
Bianca
"Best Value"
This is not, by any means, a nice hotel. My room was clean, which is all I asked for, but it was absurdly cheap. If you're looking for all the amenities, look elsewhere, if you're looking for a clean bed to crash in every night, nothing more, it's perfect. My bed was clean, towels were provided, bathroom was clean, but shared. Location was in a 'safe' but lower scale neighborhood.
3 night trip Jun 24, 2014
"Good location, very decent place for the money"
The location is very good, the staff is supportive and hospitable. The rooms are quite nice for the money paid, don't expect a lot of luxury, but only a decent place to stay. Shared bathrooms was the only cons. But available and clean.
Other trip Jun 27, 2014
Danny
This hotel has no ammenities, no elevator, shared bathroom, but you get what you pay for
2 night trip Jun 5, 2014
"Terrific location and cool ambiance (music)"
This is my favorite place to stay in San Francisco. I come often and try to stay here every time. Nothing fancy, but definitely the best value.
2 night trip May 28, 2014
"Moderate accommodations but good value"
If you just need a clean, conveniently-located room for a few nights and don't expect elaborate accommodations, then this place should work fine for you. The hotel is a good value for the price. It is in a safe neighborhood with street and public parking available. Rooms were respectable with a tv, small frig, sink, towels, toiletries. You need to share a bathroom/shower (which are kept clean) with several other rooms on your floor which could make for a short wait during peak times. Alternatively, you use a bathroom on another floor or down the hall if you are in a hurry. The room could get warm during summer nights because there are no fans or AC, but usually the open window breeze is enough. They have storage available for luggage and wifi computer access. The front desk is only open 9am-11pm so if you need assistance in the early morning hours, you will have to wait a while.
Other trip May 27, 2014
"Good value; questionable cleanliness"
We found a dead bedbug on the mattress when we checked into our first room. The staff were very apologetic and switched us to a new room that they sprayed & steamed for us, but it was disturbing nonetheless. We could also hear loud music through the walls until about 11pm each night. The location was good, however (very central though on the edge of the iffy Tenderloin district) and it was cheap. OK place to stay if you're on a budget and don't mind sharing a bathroom.
Other trip May 26, 2014
"great for the price"
I was upgraded from a private room/private bath to a room with 2 beds and a kitchen which was nice since I was staying for 4 days. Lots of restaurants near by. Parking was tricky, but not unavailable in the surrounding area. My room was near the back of the hotel and the window faced the back alley. I could hear the music/people from downstairs when the back door was open. The music does go pretty late of Friday and Saturday nights (1-2 am). I suggest earplugs, they worked for me. Otherwise, it is an awesome place to stay.
3 night business trip May 15, 2014
You get what you can expect. Location is good! Only minus point is the parking. It's really expensive and it's closed on sunday.
Other trip Apr 30, 2014
"Great stay and location"
I read a lot of reviews and decided to stay anyway. No regrets! I had a private room. Shared CLEAN bathrooms. A friendly staff who helped me gets cabs, suggest places to eat, cleaned my room and provided fresh towels. Yes, there is a band studio downstairs but its only a problem if you stay there during the daytime; which why would you? This is San Fran! Go explore. There are a few homeless people around but they were non-aggressive and at no point did I feel unsafe. I will be staying here next time I visit. Thanks!
3 night trip Apr 25, 2014
Carl S.
I TERRIBLE SORRY, FOR NOT SAYING A LOT STUFF,BUT I RECOMMEND IT ONLY PARA STUDENTS WHOM MUST HAVE VERY GOOD HEALTH, MAIN POINT THERE IS NOT ELEVATOR.
Other trip Apr 29, 2014
GHRISLAINE
"Good for Price"
I found that the hotel was good for price. I saw a few people wrote the concern about the location, but it was no problem. Just one needs to avoid going down to South. It was fine for me because I used Bush street and Powell St to go to Union Square or Powell Station.
Other trip Apr 27, 2014
"I Didnt Know"
This is a band hotel and some rooms do not have bathrooms.There are rehearsal rooms down stars and you will hear music most of the day and nights if your on the 1st or second floor. If I would have known what I was getting I would have prepared myself but it came with quite a shock knowing that some rooms have to share bathrooms. I was probably a little harder then I should have been with the kids running the place.
2 night trip Apr 18, 2014
Thunderbird
"Great spot"
Room was clean and spacious. Would stay here again. Only downfall... as with any place in the city... Parking can be a pain. Busy area. But felt safe.
4 night business trip Apr 14, 2014
kacy
"Better than I thought"
I am really impress with Encore Express at several front. For one, the price. Two, location. Three, safe neighborhood. Four, my nephew loved it. The only problem was parking. Yes, there is parking next to the hotel but you must added to the hotel cost. How about $20 for a day. I stayed for three nights which means $20 per day. Parking is a hassle in SF. You can only pay for two hours at parking meter for $4. Even if you want to stay longer you can't. Private garage will gauge you for $15 for 4 hours to 6. Enjoy your stay at Encore Express.
3 night family trip Apr 1, 2014
Mr. Juno
"Good If You Are Young"
I would not recommend this place for a family to stay, or even someone who cannot stand a little dirt. However, I enjoyed it. I was mostly out and about SF all day, so it really was just a place to come back and sleep at. The shared shower situation was kind of a pain because I had to wait in line a couple of times, but for the price I cannot complain.
Other trip Mar 24, 2014
"Just Okay"
As the title says... just okay. I really didn't have any complaints. I was just happy to be in San Francisco with a friend.
Other trip Mar 18, 2014
"Just Okay"
Other trip Mar 18, 2014
"More than I expected"
My friend and I were looking for a cheap hotel to stay and this one was a good choice. The building itself required the room card to enter so it was safe to stay overnight. Although there were many stairs, the building was really nice and cozy. Shower was okay. The staffs were very kind too.
Other trip Mar 16, 2014
Erythrea
Appropriate hotel for this price. Main disadvantages is not pleasant smell (may be marijuana? I am not familiar.) Room are clean enough. pretty good for budget travel. Do not miss there are bottled water, microwave, toaster near office.
Other trip Feb 7, 2014