All hotels in San Francisco, California, United States of America
1353 Bush Street, San Francisco, CA, 94109, United States of America, ‏‎800-491-6126

• Bar and Beverages
    Bar is awesome
    Clean
    Food is not good
    Poor vibe
    Bad breakfast
"Encore, encore!"
Fantastic hotel, would definitely stay there again. It was centrally located and within walking distance to most of the major tourist attractions. The bathrooms were lovely and kept very clean, and the staff were friendly and helpful. If you're looking for a good hotel at a decent price in SF, this is the one for you.
3 night romance trip Dec 20, 2015
"Great neighberhood"
I had a large room, which was nice and clean but I think there was a mouse.
2 night romance trip Dec 15, 2015
Piotr
"Good stay good price...maybe not for the fussy"
Despite what the other complaining reviews said, my experience was quite satisfactory...reduced price and no frills but no problems.. I walked to hotel from downtown (20 min) at 9 PM on Monday night in December. Wile there were some older people that appeared to be intoxicated and some sleeping on the sidewalks around Ellis Street, they, nor the situation, particularly bothered me--I found it interesting for a firsthand view on their condition. While I wondered if it was a dicey walk, I did not feel endangered, in fact I was treated with respect (I am a male, 60 years old and was moderately well dressed and had a shoulder bag). The hotel was a good deal--nice and professional reception. There is a music recording studio in the basement and there was a band practicing, but it was quite muted and less distracting than what I have gotten with highway noise at other motels. The room had a small TV, a nice new refrigerator and a nice new sink. Bed was comfortable and clean and the place was fairly quiet (maybe a bit of footstep sounds) but I had a restful sleep. The shared bath was small but clean (cleaner that many airports or other public restrooms). I skipped a morning shower as it was in use. I appreciated the photo of Grace Slick with Janis Joplin on my wall. I think while this motel is a bit out from downtown and a bit old, and you pass through the Tenderloin district to walk to it, it is well taken care of and is not a bad place to stay for under $100 a night.
1 night business trip Dec 14, 2015
"Good hotel if you want an awesome Night Life."
Stayed for a night. hotel and the hotel room is not good. but what do you expect I paid cheap. If you plan to have a great nightlife, This hotel will be awesome since great bars are a few meters away. Polk Street is also known for being the Red Light District of SF so expect more happenings at night. You dont need to drive even when drunk because everything is just a few minutes walk away! lol Go to a bar and order "Adios". This is not great for family but fantastic for couple lol Neighbor is not Good and very noisy as well especially at daytime.
1 night business trip Dec 1, 2015
Not Provided
"Nice little place to stay for a night"
I was a bit weary about staying at hotel room with a shared bathroom but it turns out it was no problem at all. The room was roomy, confortable and very clean. The hotel is old but well maintained and staff was super friendly
2 night trip with friends Nov 13, 2015
Marcela
This last minute trip was great!great service, croim and price!
1 night romance trip Nov 14, 2015
Danielle
great budget choice!
1 night trip with friends Nov 7, 2015
Margaret
"Hotel was extremely small"
No personal bathroom. You have to share with other guest. Small room for $120 a night. So not worth it. No AC, no guest service. Wouldn't recommended
Other trip Nov 1, 2015
"No waiting to go!"
I was a little apprehensive about not having a bathroom in my room, but it worked just fine. Easy access and didn't have to wait to use the bathroom Access to three bathrooms on our floor. The staff was very friendly and helpful. Yes, I would stay there again.
4 night romance trip Oct 23, 2015
"Not to shabby"
It was clean. The bathrooms and showers were down the hall but we're also clean
1 night trip Oct 11, 2015
Jerry
"Roughing it with style- hip hostel w/single rooms"
It was good for the price. We had to ask for towels, but the place had a peaceful vibe and respectful patrons. There are plenty of restaurants around. Good for a date if you don't mind using a bathroom down the hall.
1 night romance trip Oct 11, 2015
"Great value"
Hotel was lovely - cute European-esque décor, comfortable-sized rooms, and plush large towels. There were no additional towels (washclothes or handtowels), which was slightly inconvenient. Also, shared bathrooms were rather nice - very clean, good water pressure, warmed up quickly. Despite warnings, my room key never deactivated due to close proximity to a phone. Only other comments would be that the office is only open limited hours, so ensure you can check out based on that to leave, and leave the window cracked during the day for airflow as there wasn't AC. Overall a cute hotel and great value for the price.
3 night romance trip Oct 11, 2015
"Avoid where possible"
1 shower to 30 ppl, what a joke. Poor hotel and expensive!
1 night trip with friends Oct 6, 2015
Hugo
"Central"
I paid for a central room and get this without bath at the room
3 night trip Sep 26, 2015
Tore Martin
"No reason not to stay here"
There was nothing particularly bad or outstanding at this hotel, which is good, I guess. We knew going in there was no en-suite bathroom. It wasn't terrible to have a shared. The sink in-room was great and the fridge worked. There's also somewhat affordable parking nearby. For the price, you can't beat it on a busy weekend in San Francisco, but it's far from romantic.
2 night romance trip Sep 16, 2015
Joel
"A decent room at a decent rate!"
For the price you pay - compared with other options in San Francisco for such a centrally-located hotel - this place is a steal. It's aged, but the rooms and beds were clean. I got a European-style room (shared bathroom) and found the bathrooms were cleaned several times a day. The front desk staff were friendly and helpful. Overall, I would recommend this hotel as an economical way to stay in the city.
1 night romance trip Sep 14, 2015
Kayotae
We got a lot of exercise walking up and down the hotel stairs. Location was good.
2 night romance trip Aug 24, 2015
"You get what you pay for"
You don't pay a lot because you don't get a lot/ hardly anything. It gets the job done, as the my colleague and former basketball driver John Goldman used to tell me.
Other trip Aug 2, 2015
Hotel Guy
"Inexpensive, nice staff, old amenties"
Inexpensive, nice staff, old amenties, parking garage nearby - great if you just need a place to sleep for 6-8 house and grab a shower. Not fancy in any way.
Other trip Jul 31, 2015
"European character in the heart of San Francisco"
This hotel was very convenient, with a nice atmosphere, and the staff was extremely helpful and kind. I liked the funky European feel which made it homey and fun. I would recommend it to the traveler who likes that type of experience.
Other trip Jul 26, 2015
"Great for the price"
Everyone whining about this place....IT IS GREAT FOR THE MONEY! If you're going to a show at the Masonic or the Regency, it's within walking distance. Lots of bars and restaurants around the area. The guy who checked us in was a little rude and short, but all the other staff members were pleasant. Walls are paper thin, but everyone was very respectful and stayed quiet. Not the place to stay if you want to party and drink, as you have to climb stairs to get to the room. Also, as I said, walls are paper thin. However, I found it a great place to stay in San Fran on a budget. I'll be back again!
1 night trip with friends Jul 9, 2015
Jacob
"I'd stay again"
Stayed here for a trip with a friend. Stayed in a private room with shared bathrooms and it wasn't bad for the price. If you're just looking for a clean spot to rest at night, this is the spot. Its nothing fancy I will say, its just a few blocks from Tenderloin area but I still felt secure being that you need a key to even get in the hotel at all. We did have an issue finding someone at the front desk to hold out luggage while we went out before check out which caused us to missed our Alcatraz tour. Despite the bad customer service towards the end of our stayed, this place wasn't bad.
3 night trip with friends Jun 26, 2015
Olivia
"A good stay."
Good budget hotel. Friendly staff. Clean common use bathrooms and showers. The clearly communicated music studios on the lower level were no problem at all. Many nearby restaurants. Be prepared for stairs.
2 night romance trip Jun 25, 2015
Don't stay here. It smells weird. The shared bathroom situation is not fun. The neighborhood is absolutely terrible. The decor is funky and not is a cool way. Spend a few more bucks and stay in a better place.
2 night romance trip Jun 22, 2015
"Upscale hostel in SF"
Although my room had a private bath, Encore Express is basically a hostel, but seems like a pretty nice one. The interior is nothing fancy, but was very clean and well decorated. Room was basic with a cheap desk and dresser, but had a 4-poster bed and decent towels and was very clean. Wi-fi worked well. The room was on an interior courtyard/air shaft, so the ventilation from the window was pretty meager. My only complaint was that the window would not stay open, so I had to prop it open by taking one of the drawers from the desk and sticking it in the window opening to keep the sash from sliding back down. Neighborhood was not great, but was okay and perfectly safe. Street parking is available on nearby streets if you don't mind a bit of a search. Not sure I would go back to this hotel again, but for young, budget travelers it might be just right.
2 night trip Jun 12, 2015
It just seemed quite dirty. We didn't learn until we got there that there would be bands practicing below us until 11pm.
Other trip Jun 15, 2015
"Wasn't great but wasn't terrible either"
My fiancé and I got tickets to see a concert at the Regency Ballroom and we didn't want to drive home after th show. I decided to look for hotel rooms that were cheap and close by. The encore express hit both of those qualifiers. I read the reviews and was a little leary about booking but I figured "hey it can't be that bad for one night". It wasn't bad but it wasn't great either. You have to pay for parking in the parking garage next door which runs $22.50 per day or you can take your chances on street parking. You also have to be buzzed in to the hotel. The only way to get in is with a room key. The hotel is very clearly older and it does have a shared bathroom. The shared bathroom situation isn't terrible and you do get a sink in the room. The rooms are old and outdated but they are clean. The guy at the front desk was friendly. Also make note that the basement of the hotel is a recording studio that can be rented out and you can hear the muffled sounds of whatever musicians are down there.
1 night romance trip May 26, 2015
Breana
"The Hostel Experience."
Decided to take a spur of the moment trip to SF, unfortunately, it was the weekend of the "bay to breakers" run, so this was literally the last hotel in town with rooms. I was with a friend, so I was trying to find a room with two beds, but given the choice between blurring the lines between bromance and romance, and sleeping in Golden Gate Park, I took a single bed room here. On checking in and asking if there were any rooms with double beds, he told me this was a "hostel style" hotel, and that they had only single bed rooms. Entering the room confirmed it - it looked, smelled and felt just like a hostel I stayed at in London, sans bunk bed. Some reviews mentioned a noise issue at night, and complained about the neighborhood. I didn't find either to be a problem. The location is nice. It was maybe a 10 minute bus ride from the Bolt terminal, and a short walk to several good restaurants, bars, and the Asian Art Museum. The shared bathrooms were clean. All-in-all, if you're a thrifty traveller who's accustomed to hostels, this place should do the trick nicely for you. If you're expecting a true "hotel" experience, you'd better fork over the $40+ more per night and go with Motel 6/equivalent.
2 night trip with friends May 15, 2015
Joshua
"Neat little place, esp. if you're a music lover"
We were in town to see Faith No More @ The Warfield and this was perfect for us. The hotel is only a few miles away. (About a $5 / 10 minute uber ride) The guy running the desk was super chill and nice. We didn't catch his name but we called him Garth. Check in was easy. The room itself was nothing fancy but it was fine for us. It was clean and in fairly good condition. It had the promised amenities (refrigerator, microwave, attached bathroom) Most rooms here have shared bathrooms in the hall but we paid a little extra for the private one, I'm glad we did because the shared one was busy. The room was pretty freakin small but was fine for us. We were looking for something close to the Warfield that was clean, had a private bathroom and wasn't ridiculously expensive. This was literally the only place that fit the bill that night. The place is obviously under renovation and will surely be even nicer soon. The parking around here kinda sucks but there is street parking available. The neighborhood is kinda sketch though so I would recommend using the neighboring parking garage. ($22.50 for the night) This place is really neat. The basement floor is practice spaces for bands. After we got back from our concert we wandered around and listened to some bands. This hotel is designed for bands to stay at and we really dug that. Support the arts and give this quirky place a shot.
1 night romance trip Apr 20, 2015
"Need to tell more about hotel"
Wish it would have been more clear that you had to share bathrooms with everyone.
1 night romance trip Apr 21, 2015
Tammy
"A little surprised"
I did not realize when I booked the reservation that it was a hostel/hotel. I also did not realize that it had a Music Theme. Jam sessions in the basement when we were there on a Wed night.
Other trip Apr 10, 2015
tdu
"Jake front desk was amazing he should be manager"
-location great -The front desk manager looks like the owners son very bad service -Jake front desk person he should be a manager he was amazing in every request we had -Half of the bathrooms were close that is not good specially when they are shared with other guest and the hotel was full
Other trip Apr 6, 2015
Sergio
"my stay at encore express."
Wasn't in the room much. But for its cost, it wasn't bad. The shower next to us wasn't in service, and the other bathroom on our floor smelled like sewage. Probably would not stay there again, maybe after some renovations? Staff was great though!
3 night romance trip Mar 27, 2015
"Very convenient and clean."
this location is close to everything and the staff was very helpful. Also the room and bathroom were very clean.
Other trip Mar 31, 2015
Rachel
"It was a good stay."
The rooms were nice and clean.The only problem is that you share the bathrooms with other people. Overall we had a good stay and the beds were comfortable. The price was not too expensive for a night.
1 night romance trip Mar 7, 2015
"The room was OK, when I could get into it."
I had a private room in the hostel which was decent and I was able to tolerate the constant noise from the rehearsal rooms underneath the hostel (bands practice until ~11PM) however getting locked out of my room for a night was inexcusable. My keycard became ineffective (this can easily occur if left within close proximity to a cell phone for example) and I became locked out of my room at 5AM in a pair of boxers and t-shirt after attempting to use the restroom (which I also needed the keycard to work for). There was absolutely no one I could contact to be let back into my room and consequently I had to wait until someone opened the office at 9AM. After spending an hour roaming the hallways looking for a contact number I was fortunate enough to be offered an empty bed in a 4 bunk bed room from one of the hostel occupants. Hours later, after explaining my situation to hotel staff I wasn't compensated, rather my situation was shrugged off as an unfortunate turn of events. Wow. There's no one in the office between 11PM-9AM so if you need something (e.g. to get into your room) your ---- out of luck. For this reason alone I wouldn't stay here again. I spent my 2nd week here living in fear that I would get locked out of my room again.
Other trip Mar 15, 2015
"Good choice in city center. Not a luxury hotel."
I love this place. Very comfortable, lots of character and convenient. I would definitely stay here again. This is an old-style urban hotel. You will have a small, safe, comfortable room right in the city center. You will use shared bathrooms, which are clean and in perfectly good condition. It's a 3 story walkup. The person at the front desk was perfectly friendly and helpful. If you like hotels at airports with large parking lots, or you require a breakfast bar or elevator, this isn't your place. There's no concierge. However, If you want to be right in the middle of the city when you walk out the door, then this is a great choice. Just be aware that the front door is locked when the office closes. I think it would be a problem if you show up late at night to check in, as you'll be locked out.
2 night trip Feb 28, 2015
Stanley
"Good location. Good price. Good experience."
I just needed a place to crash for a couple of nights, not a place to spend my time during the day. This place may have been a bit rough around the edges, but my room was clean and had a TV and refrigerator which was nice, but not essential. Can't beat the price.
Other trip Feb 24, 2015
"Very pleasant, affordable stay in SF"
The entire staff was awesome. They were friendly, welcoming, and Excell at customer service. They are on the mild non-pushing style; however, they all seem to take pride in their job. Very much enjoyed my stay.
1 night business trip Jan 25, 2015
Dawn
"very good"
I really enjoyed my stay. The receptionists gave excellent directions which made it was to get around. The bus were very handy. Thanks for everything
5 night trip with friends Jan 17, 2015
"Always clean and well managed"
My stay was wonderful and the staff was very helpful.
Other trip Jan 23, 2015
"Great hotel in the city"
Great hotel, cool location. Right in the city, close to bus stops and the cable car. Parking garage next door, good for over night if you can't find parking on the street. Connected to a music practice space but that's downstairs and its not loud at all. Actually really enjoy the faint sound of a band playing. If it becomes that much of an issue for you, they have free ear plugs at the front desk. Very friendly staff. Clean bathrooms. Yes they are shared bathrooms with the rest of the floor, but there are many bathrooms on the each floor. And a sink in the room, so it's not bad at all getting ready back in your room.
Other trip Jan 21, 2015
Gehrig
"Good price for Location"
Good location walkable to Union Sq. in 15-20 min. and 1.5 blks from Van Ness. Lots of restaurants and services on Polk St. w/i 1/2 blk and good/safe parking garage on corner. Good price but definitely not the ritz. Band practice space in basement adds to the vibe but also noise until about 11 PM. Had a shared bath and was clean and mostly available.
2 night family trip Jan 13, 2015
"This place smells"
Steep narrow stair case no bathrooms in rooms and a musty, moldy smell that lingered through the property needs to be renovated. Only perk was the location really close to Polk street
2 night trip with friends Nov 20, 2014
Harold
"Think of another place..."
IF not in the worst, this hotel is in one of the worst neighborhoods. Totally ruined my imagination of SF. Pictures look not too bad, but the hotel smells bad and is pretty old. My bed was the worst bed I've had in any hotel... I stayed there for four nights and didn't have any good sleep. Wouldn't recommend this hotel to anyone.
4 night business trip Nov 8, 2014
"Good hotel for price"
Separate bathrooms, no elevator. You get what you pay for
Other trip Oct 13, 2014
Traveler
"great value no complaints"
enjoyed the room and comfort close to places i always visit
Other trip Oct 2, 2014
george
"Cool concept!"
Neat place. Would be great for people really in to music. Bands would love this place
2 night business trip Sep 24, 2014
"It was good."
Overall my stay was good. I was expecting the worst and it was better than expected. It was a good experience with the shared bathrooms but I prefer not to share. I would stay again.
4 night trip with friends Sep 20, 2014
Yvonne
"Just a Party"
Perfect location to party down on Polk Street.....easy cab ride to anywhere else you wanna go. Never had to wait for a bathroom to open up and everything was clean and tidy. Got a little warm at night and had to sleep with the window open but no big deal.
2 night trip Aug 22, 2014