All hotels in Sonora, California, United States of America
480 West Stockton Street, Sonora, CA, 95370, United States of America, ‏‎800-491-6126

2.3
    2.7
    2.4
    2.9
"Sonora's Gold Lodge"
This is a funky old motel, an old Route 66 kind of place - not a Sheraton (thank goodness!). We loved it! It was clean, the mattress was firm, we couldn't hear the people in the rooms on either side of us, the towels were thick, and the staff (all very friendly) guided us to a fantastic breakfast place less than 2 miles away as we checked out. We get tired of sterile cookie-cutter rooms...this place worked for us and it was not expensive!
1 night trip with friends Jul 25, 2015
"Got taken!"
Worst ever!
2 night romance trip Jun 19, 2015
"The last resort"
Don't let this "quaint" looking little place fool you. It's not what it appears from the highway. It's not bad if you pay no attention to the seedy characters who looked like they took up permanent residence at this motel, or if you can get passed the gawd awful musty old smell that hits you when you open the door to the room, or the the fact that obviously this place has never been updated since it was built, probably in the 60's. If there was anywhere else to go I would have refused to stay. But, this no-tell motel was the last resort and we were only there for one night so we stuck it out. On a bright note, the room, albeit old, was clean. The window AC worked and the king bed was comfortable. Even though the room faced the busy highway, traffic noise was never an issue. The free continental breakfast was a .79 cent packaged danish and some sort of cereal. Overall, it was an $89 a night experience I won't soon repeat. Still, it in no way detracted from an awesome weekend spent in the beautiful California Mother lode.
1 night romance trip May 30, 2015
"quite good, like the stay"
quite good experience staying here, and the people here are so nice and helpful
1 night trip with friends May 30, 2015
Xiaoqing
"Cheap = bad lodging"
Room smelled bad, there was no room service, the bed was in bad condition, bad location next to the road.
3 night romance trip May 22, 2015
Ana Maria
"My Stay"
The bed was rock hard, the traffic noise and running toilet kept me up. The staff was very friendly though. The place just needs a little TLC!
1 night trip Feb 20, 2015
"Cute quaint town for a reasonable price"
The rooms weren't in the best condition but the staff was great, and the location was beautiful and within walking distance of all of the necessities.
christine
"Sufficient"
Breakfast was meager. Room was comfortable but the shower was a bit small. I was looking for a ride to Yosemite and places to eat. Staff was unable to assist me even though a public bus came through town every day.
Other trip Sep 20, 2014
Clinton
"Good for the money"
The hotel was clean. There was a slight musty smell. Couch in room was very old and nothing I would sit on. Beds not great but OK. New flat screen tv hung on the wall was nice. AC worked well. Pool was out of order. It is an old hotel, quaint. I would not count on the breakfast. Good for the night, wouldn't book it for a whole vaca.
1 night family trip Jul 19, 2014
"Overnight before Yosemite"
Good enough for an overnight stay for the price. Quite badly maintained, the lock for our room did not work. Minimal breakfast was available.
1 night trip Aug 9, 2014
Andreas
"Near town"
The hotel was old. Missing handles from furniture. There were no bath mats to use on the slippery shower floor. Could not get rid of the flies. The air conditioner froze and wad covered with ice. They used a spoon and hair blower to fix it.
Other trip Aug 1, 2014
travel for gun
The price was not fair for what we had, the place is decadente and they make this big propaganda on breakfast with is very, very poor.
Other trip Jul 29, 2014
"The bad reviews are accurate."
Our room was so old and outdated, plus it was just dirty. Chips in the paint, flies (my husband killed at least 10 in the first 15 minutes we were there), old - stained - bedspreads, I could go on and on. My son pulled down the covers and there were chip crumbs on his sheets. So disgusting. Staying here was out of desperation because everywhere else is full, but I would NOT stay there again.
Other trip Jul 28, 2014
"hotel close to fairgrounds"
My son was an exhibitor in the Motherlode Fair. The hotel was walking distance to the fairgrounds and very comfortable. The staff was very friendly. We enjoyed our stay and will stay again next year.
Other trip Jul 24, 2014
Brianna
"The Gold Lodge Sonora"
First I booked 2 rooms through Expedia. My receipts showed two rooms. The clerk was adamant that I only booked 1 room and tried showing me a document that stated so. I told her to for get that paper and look at what I printed out. She was rude in the beginning. They finally gave me my 2 rooms 1 for myself and my GF and 1 for my daughters. My daughters room had 2 queens and an AC that did not work . It had a couch that smelled bad and was sinking in the middle. Rm 103 I was assigned 106 and when I opened the door the room was filthy. I was told Oh we don't have a maid and as assigned another room. This room also smelled, Had no couch no chair. The bath room window did not lock and there was dead bugs all over the window sills and bathroom floor.. There was a mattress grave yard right outside the back of my room. From the outside it looks nice and cozy but once inside stop turn around and go back.. I was charged over 100 per night for this nasty place. Never again.
Other trip Jul 16, 2014
"Far from gold"
The worst smell of old dirty and musty. Pool shut down for lack of certificate.
Other trip Jul 15, 2014
young family
"Bad"
Bed was a rock,I gave the clerk my towels so she could wash them, they had no clean ones, she never brought them back,she didn't clean room or make bed our 2nd night.office doesn't. . open until 8am. Continental lunch???
Other trip Jul 4, 2014
"Rundown"
Pricey for a broken down old motor lodge. Where was the breakfast?
1 night trip Jun 21, 2014
"Don't stay here unless no other alternative"
I booked this hotel as I had planned my trip a bit late and at that time I was not getting good hotels. Firstly, it is far from Yosemite, so you end up spending almost 3 hrs everyday in driving itself which is surely tiring when you have to drive uphill. The hotel staff doesn't seem professional. I stayed here for 3 days and they cleaned my room on 3rd day. There is no swimming pool or jacuzzi and internet wifi is just hopeless. Morning breakfast time is 8AM - 10AM so ideally everyone coming even at 9:45AM should get everything they claim they offer in breakfast but you won't get 100% of it if you go after 9AM. I will not recommend it to any of my friends unless there is no alternative left.
Other trip Jun 2, 2014
"Good price and location for a trip to Yosemite"
In terms of amenities like soap, cups, shampoo there was a bare minimum. However, the room was clean, the bed comfortable and the towels were absorbent. The Wi-fi system and the TV worked well. There were plenty of good places to eat nearby. The town seemed pleasant and welcoming. We didn't spend a lot of money to enjoy our stay.
Other trip May 24, 2014

"Très mauvaise surprise!"
Bonjour, pour tout vous dire, nous avons été tellement déçues lors de notre arrivée dans cet hôtel que nous ne sommes pas restées. Accueil tout juste aimable Chambre très vieille et élimée (moquette trouée par endroits, faience de SdB cassée etc mais surtout literie sale! Nous avons demandé que les lits soient refaits. Une personne visiblement par dégourdie est arrivée avec une brassée de draps et taies d'oreillers tout en boule. Rien n'était repassé. Quand je me suis approché des taies: une sur deux sentait le linge déjà utilisé. Nous avons pris la décision de ne pas rester. La personne de l'accueil a eu quand même la bonne idée de me rembourser le prix de la chambre. Je déconseille fortement cet hôtel à tout le monde.
1 night family trip Jun 18, 2015
Anne
FR
시골마을답게 약간 지저분하고 오래된 느낌이었네여. 요새미티에서 샌프란 가는 길에 잠시 들러 묵었는데, 그냥 지나치며 잠만 자기엔 괜찮았습니다. 짐 풀고 마을 구경을 했는데 마을이 조용하고 아담해서 좋았네요. 하지만 호텔 자체의 청결함이나 안락함은 별로였습니다..
1 night family trip Jun 21, 2014
1 night business trip May 24, 2014

TripAdvisor reviews for The Gold Lodge

"Don't Waste your money"
07/08/15 Dink21 San Jose, California
Probably the worst motel we have ever stayed at. Dirty old rooms. Shower so dirty would not use. Phone did not work, bedding dirty and room was so smelly. The mattress dirty and bed squeaked Curtains falling off rod and would not close. We stayed in the back part and smelled of dog poop..
"how the cheapest hotel in town turned out to be the most expensive visit of my life"
06/29/15 Susan Z San Rafael, California
Wasn't looking for a fancy place to stay, just a cheap room to catch some music. Bedding and linen scary. Slept in my clothes. Came home and realized I brought some friends home with me....meaning bed bugs. Have lived in my apartment for 12 years and never had a bite. Now it will cost me close to 1500$ to solve the problem. Wish I would've had read these reviews first. Maybe I can save someone else from sleepless nights spent waiting to remedy the problem.
"The experience was not at all nice"
06/10/15 Gloria B Stockton, California
The room was not as descrved, the lock would not work therefore we had to move rooms. The bed on the next room was lower on the head side due to a missing leg on the back side of the bed. We had to fix it ourselves. Not to mention it was the worst night sleep ever for us. I would not recommend it.
"Needs improvements badly, or at the very least locks that work."
06/03/15 VeNuSeena Redwood City, California
We stayed here while visiting our friend's lake house, luckily for us, it was one of those times where the kids didn't come, otherwise it would have been worse. the gentleman that checked us in was very pleasant, they offered a modest continental breakfast which was nice, but the motel overall is run down and the locks in our door din't work, we struggled to shut our door properly and I felt very unsafe all night. -We should have changed rooms but we checked past one in the morning and were quite exhausted. Other than that, the carpets were filthy as you would expect from a motel on the side of the road. However I should mention that it was quite clean so if you are just looking for a bed to crash for a few hours it might not be as bad
"Worst Motel ever.."
09/02/14 deedee d
Went on a weekend retreat with my honey and we had no idea that the motel was so old and dirty i wanted to leave ASAP. Mold everywhere. dirty smelly.. the sink only had hot water. Blood on the ceiling.. Fire alarm hanging from ceiling. Air was in the closet.. noisy as hell. Windows were painted shut. Im not kidding when i say there was a chain around a cig bucket that looked like it had been there for years. Scary place. i would rather have paid double for down the street. I ve learned now to look @ a room before paying. yikesssssss couldnt get out of there fast enough!!!
"WORST MOTEL EVER"
07/01/14 Sbbarn Tulare, California, United States
Dirty room smelled, should of left then. Air condition controls don't work they have window conditions installed above vanity only went down to 80 very cheap noisy unit.Bed hard linens coarse and smelled, 2 small pillows,blanket didn't fit king bed. Bathroom moldy shower, 2 towels, 1 soap,no mat. Asked for more towels 2nd day "we can wash yours but have none" towels never returned, no maid service no new towels, dried with washcloth an got out of town.
"don't do it!"
06/29/14 Peggy H Modesto, California
This is what I get by trying to get by cheap. The shower was full of mold. The soap dispenser in the shower did not work. There was sharp metal jutting out from the shower drain which could cause a cut. There was a blood stain on the mattress pad which was able to be seen as the sheets were so thin. There was no Kleenex in the dispenser and there was old coffee in the coffee pot. The pool and hot tub were locked up with the sign that stated they were closed by the health department due to unsanitary conditions. There were many other things along this line, but you get the drift. We had stayed there a few years ago and while rustic, it was clean and fine for a one night stay. It is now terribly run down and not worth the cheap rate.
"improvements in the works"
05/19/14 paul b Madera, California
Staff outside hotel totally awesome. The guy with Cambodian wife is always working and i can see that the owner will not invest a penny in the property. Hotel still needs cleaning outside and improvements like removing trash, mattresses etc but it appears that they are trying. When restored in 96 this was the gem of Sonora. Needs help!!!!
"Don't do it"
05/14/14 Anne N Saco, Maine
The staff are friendly BUT the place is old and very run down which is ok BUT the floor in both bathrooms were disgustingly filthy and dried vomit on the pavement outside the room.Very dirty.Stay somewhere else!
"Has a certain Bates Motel vibe to it"
01/31/14 l7Lola17 United States
Ok, so The Gold Lodge is one of the cheapest places to stay in Sorona and its really not a terrible choice. The staff is really friendly except for the older lady who seems to be the manager, she stares at the customers and staff with exasperation-but never speaks. The maintenace guy and reception staff are really accomodating-locals with great suggestions re: food, attractions, etc. The room was small and the bed was sort of a soldered rollaway mutant-it was impossible not to meet your bedmate in the middle of the bed within seconds of laying down. We actually switched rooms after our first night because the TV was broken. The next room was similar but without a refridgerator-the maintenance guy immediately ran down to our old room and grabbed the fridge and offered us any other anmenities they had available. The pool was like an oversized petri dish-you don't even want to walk close to it-let alone go for a swim. All in all I say its not bad here but really for about 10 bucks more a night you can stay at chain hotel or other local option. So if you are on a budget this place will suffice, but if you have an extra 10 or 15 dollars to spend per night I'd consider upgrading.