All hotels in New Church, Virginia, United States of America
You can collect Hotels.com® Rewards nights here4188 Nelson Road, New Church, VA, 23415, United States of America, ‏‎800-491-6126

4.8
    4.8
"Beautiful accommodations with lots of amenities."
My daughter and I enjoyed our one night stay at this beautiful Victorian B&B. The gardens and grounds are very appealing. Hummingbirds were common around the flowering plants. There is the main inn and another guest house where snacks and drinks are available all day. We did not use the pool but it was very inviting. A tremendous effort has obviously gone into making this inn an attractive and welcoming lodging. The breakfast was surprisingly mediocre for a B&B, but all in all the experience was very worthwhile.
Other trip Aug 7, 2014
Rosalyn
"Dorothy is a WONDERFUL host! all staff are!"
Dorothy was so kind to me when I unknowingly let the shower leak onto the floor. She let me know so gently, and without blame, that the downstairs rooms had noticed a leak.... she let me know that she cleaned it up the next morning and not to worry. I felt terrible and she gave me a hug and said not to worry. I know that had to be a challenge and possibly costly, to clean up. If you stay in the Attic room, make sure you keep the shower curtain inside the bathtub. The staff (Michelle) was also wonderful and helpful at breakfast!
Other trip Jul 23, 2014
alice
"Highly Recommend!!!"
This place was amazing! The food went way beyond expectation. I'm vegan and I'm used to fruit salad and black coffee for breakfast so I was over the moon when I was getting open faced breakfast sandwiches and PANCAKES!!! The rooms were beautiful and the grounds are spacious. Chincoteague island is like 10 minutes away.
2 night romance trip Mar 8, 2014
Melaina
"lovely stay"
We had a lovely stay. The pluses include a beautiful room with a terrific hot tub, and a nicely furnished guest common area. Pretty grounds and a warm hostess welcome were pluses as well.Meals were superb. Things to watch. Be prepared to invest driving time to see Chincoteague since there is really nothing to see within walking distance.. Also, the attic room is not suitable for most adult couples. We were lucky to be able to upgrade after arrivals since otherwise the low ceilings would have made the room unpleasant. Probably just right for kids. Overall a good value and we will likely go back.
2 night trip Sep 21, 2013
jeff h
"very nice B&B. Great owner, staff and food."
Place had been upgraded since last time we were there and they were going to do even more. Owner was very nice as was the staff. Food was great. Had some new dishes and nice twists on old favorites. This will be my choice of place to stay when we return to the area. PS Great value!
Other trip Sep 16, 2013
"Nice B&B"
We had a very plesant stay. It was between the Virginia side and Maryland side of Chincoteague. Perfect location for us. Michelle, one of the staff members was more then helpful and very pleasant. Also a wealth of information about the area. The room was clean, had an old fashioned bathtub, small fridge. A separate building had snacks for guests (homemade cookies, yum) amung other selections, a small stove, dinner ware and a fridge. They also had a BBQ and a built in pool, a zen garden. The breakfasts were plentiful and delicious. We stayed four nights and had a different breakfast each day. The only down side was that it is not within walking distance to a town center for shops or resturants.
Other trip Aug 24, 2013
"Amazing B&B!!"
Garden and the Sea B&B was amazing! Dorothee and Thomas made us feel at home immediately. The grounds are beautiful, peaceful and relaxing, there is a great pool Our room was perfect, we stayed in the attic room, it was clean, cozy and comfortable. The bathroom was across the hall, it was clean, had a huge claw foot tub and everything else you need. The homemade breakfast was scrumptious. Dorothee was able to give us many great recommendations for food and activities. The B&B is located very conveniently to great sites, and convenient shopping. I highly recommend Garden and the Sea B&B, and we can't wait to go back!
2 night romance trip Jun 12, 2013
Helen
"A great place for a vacation."
Doro was out working in the yard when I arrived, Thomas came out to meet me in the gravel parking lot. Friendly folks. I asked for breakfast a bit earlier than they're used to. I asked for a vegan breakfast. They accommodated me in both cases -- deliciously in the second case. The room is very B&B which hurts my head a bit, but if Victorian chairs, flowery wallpaper, and doilies are you thing, then this place is your dream. Nice common area with games, books, DVDs, sodas, & snacks, but I stayed in my room. No desk (though a small cafe table did the job), not many power outlets, and generally not a good place for business. The WiFi wasn't bad, but the 19" CRT TV didn't suit my needs. Of course, if you're there on vacation with family, you probably wont mind it. However the room was nice, with a cozy gas fireplace, and a comfortable wicker sleigh bed. In nice weather you could sit in the many comfortable chairs on the porches, under the trees, or by the pool. It was cold and rainy when I stayed. Next time I'm in town, hopefully I'll get to experience the B&B's charm a bit more.
3 night business trip Feb 24, 2013
SiD
We stayed in the Chantilly Room for two nights. The room was very nice. Definitely not the room for you if you can't climb into a deep tub (also the shower). It does state that on the website. The Inn is about 20 minutes from Chincoteague, so be aware that there is nothing nearby. They are dog friendly, too! Loved the port and the snacks provided in the Garden House. We did not use the pool, but it looked very nice. We will visit here again because we love Chincoteague.
2 night trip Sep 21, 2012
Ellis
"nice old victorian"
The building was very nice and the owners were very warm and inviting.
1 night trip Aug 30, 2012
"Lovely B&B with great hosts, wonderful breakfast!"
The owners and employees are wonderful - friendly and helpful without being overbearing, and they have gone out of their way to everything to help their guests enjoy their stays. Breakfast was great. It was also very nice to be able to make tea and coffee and then enjoy it with the cookies and other snacks provided when we wished. In general, there were so many thoughtful conveniences provided, including towels for the pool and beach (and pets if relevant), cold bottled water any time, and helpful tips re: restaurant and entertainment options. For us, the only negatives related to the bathroom water and shower facility. The water, particularly from the sink, had a pronounced 'old metal' smell strong enough that it lingered briefly on your skin, and the rather small claw footed tub fitted with an add-on shower fixture and clingy plastic all-around shower curtain made for a less than ideal shower experience. Just mentioning this in case it would also be a concern for other travelers, but it might not be troubling at all to some guests and also may not be true for all rooms. We stayed in the Nelson room.
Other trip Aug 19, 2012
SB
"A classy place."
The new owners are very hospitable and friendly. Breakfasts were quite good. We greatly enjoyed our stay.
Other trip Jun 19, 2012

"Great B&B - would stay there again"
We stayed 3 nights. The presentation was very good and the owners are very friendly and helpful. It is in a good location - close to the highway and visitors centre for Virginia and Maryland but not right on the main road. Beautiful large garden with pool to relax in. The fully cooked breakfasts were very good indeeed. My only problem was the shower over the bath in our room (room called Nelson). I would not recommend that room for elderly people as the bath is a high, narrow claw bath and so getting out is a bit difficult. Other rooms probably had a different shower set up. Highly recommended.
Other trip Aug 5, 2012
Lindsey

"Tolles Anwesen"
Wir hatten den Sandpiper Room". Das Zimmer ist sehr und gemütlich eingerichtet. Wir hatten sogar einen Wirlpool. Der Salon war ausgesprochen gemütlich. Wir hatten sogar Gebäck mit Tee oder Kaffee und Sherry. Das Frühstück war lecker und reichhaltig. Man spricht Deutsch. Wir würden gerne jederzeit wiederkommen.
1 night family trip Dec 30, 2013
Heinrich
DE
2 night trip Aug 11, 2012

TripAdvisor reviews for Garden and the Sea B&B Inn

"Fantastic B&B!!!"
05/08/15 Amberlee16 Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
If you are looking for a fabulous getaway, look no further! This Bed and Breakfast is fantastic. There are 3 houses to choose from, we stayed in the main house where breakfast is served (except in the winter). The room was gorgeous, the bed very comfortable and the double jacuzzi bath a treat! Breakfast was a gormet delight each morning, even working with my gluten free issues. (Just be sure to let them know when you book so they can be sure to have unique and delicious items for you). The homemade yogurt, fresh squeezed juices and fruit as well as a main course are served in an elegant dining area. I felt so pampered! We were close to all the things we wanted to do from Chincoteague Island and the NASA Wallops center to the Ocean shore. The owner suggested a visit to the "coolest city" of Berlin, MD where we stopped at the Hotel Atlantic (also on her suggestion) for a great lunch. It was a little early for sitting in the lovely gardens, but the flowers were beginning to bloom and the window areas in the dining room were lovely to look out of. The perfect place to relax after a day or two of roaming the area. I hope we can stay again soon.
"A Gem of a Romantic B&B!"
03/09/15 Heronhouse16316 Pungoteague, Virginia
Who would have thought one could find a gem of a romantic B&B in New Church, half way between the Bay and the sea on Virginia's Eastern Shore? Certainly not me, and I live here on the Eastern Shore! But in searching for a near-by Inn to celebrate a special occasion, I came upon the Garden and Sea B&B, and because the photos and accompanying descriptions on their Web pages looked very enticing, I thought I would give it a try. Wow! Being off-season with snow still on the ground, we had a choice of a couple of rooms. It was so hard to pick, but when we go back, as surely we shall, we'll reserve the room we chose -- the Champagne Room, with its really comfortable brass bed, a gas fireplace, bathroom with double sink and a huge Jacuzzi, a refrigerator for the champagne... Downstairs was the sitting room with cookies, soft drinks, and -- can you believe it? -- a decanter of port!! That's where we had breakfast: perfecto;y prepared French toast with Mascapone and strawberries, a fresh fruit cup, fresh-sqeezed orange juice, homemade bread, just-brewed coffee. It was incredible! I wonder what the Inn looks like in Spring when all the beds are in bloom and the trees in blossom; magical, I bet. Must go and see...
02/26/15 Slapphapi
I went there this past weekend, during the off season and had the most pleasant stay. The staff was wonderful and attentive. The room was so charming and warm feeling. I will definitely be going back in the spring.
"Charming Country Inn on the Eastern Shore"
02/08/15 John_Rotruck Washington DC, District of Columbia
Although not necessarily adjacent to anything else on the eastern shore, this attractive and comfortable inn is centrally located between Berlin, MD, and Virginia attractions such as Chincoteague and Assagteauge Islands and Onancock.
"Relaxing 1-night stay"
01/28/15 Chriskons Paris, France
We booked at the Garden and the Sea Inn last minute, on an off-season trip to Chincoteague. Michelle was amazing at taking our reservation, making sure that our middle-of-the-night arrival would be smooth and welcomed us the next morning with a delicious breakfast. The inn was spotlessly clean and great effort has been made to preserve its historical character, especially that of the buildings. Some interior furnishing elements are more recent and may not blend in perfectly with the original antiques, but this may just be my professional distortion (I'm an interior designer). Although the surroundings may not be very appealing, the grounds are superbly well kept and the inn is very conveniently located. Overall a very satisfying short stay.
"Spacious"
01/05/15 SailingPanda Seattle, Washington
I stayed one night with family in the The Shiraz Suite in the "off-season". The description for this suite is very accurate. The futon is very comfortable. It is situated just steps from the private entrance. If you're sleeping on the futon you have to walk through the bedroom to the bathroom. Therefore, for those who get up at night to use the bathroom it can be a bit annoying. From the bedroom there is a door that opens up to yard. Breakfast was served to the suite which was nice at no additional charge. It may have been because of the off season perhaps? The website describes: "Sample entrees include German specialties like Weisswuerste, Leberkaese or Kirschenmichel or delicious American dishes like Eggs Benedict, fresh Blueberry Pancakes, our great feta cheese omlet or our egg roulade with delicious mustard dip. Everything comes with sausage or bacon." I had FRENCH TOAST which isn't on the website. It was a very simple breakfast. Other breakfast food I had were: -sausage -bread (which was really good, nice and moist) -dried fruit -Orange juice -tea -apples The only reason why I gave a 4/5 is the breakfast was not very filling.
"Delicious and Relaxing"
11/12/14 Kristine D Pennsauken, New Jersey, United States
My husband and I visited in the early summer and we had an amazing time. A huge perk that we experienced was being able to take our dog with us. The inn is very pet friendly and we had an amazing time, not to mention the surrounding area was as well. We were able to go to a local winery and to the beach with the dog. Everyone was so polite and welcoming, and the food was to die for. Our breakfasts were the highlight to an already amazing time. We want to go back again for not only a nice experience with our pup, but for that beautiful breakfast.
"Deceptive Billing Practices"
10/31/14 Susan J
We booked online for a 3 night stay. The booking e-mail came in with deposit made and balance due at check-in. We arrived after the staff had left for the day and a very nice letter was left on the door with directions to our room and other amenities available until morning. A breakfast of a stuffed croissant filled with creamy chicken chunks with melted shredded cheese over the top was exquisite, Michelle met us with our receipt to check-in. As I looked at the balance, I was aware that it was not correct. I looked up the confirmation e-mail and showed Michelle. She said she would look into it. She crossed off the amount and wrote in the confirmation amount. I brought it up to her again on Sunday after we returned home and saw the charge. She said she would look into it and call me on Monday. She did not call and the charge cleared. I responded to the e-mail confirmation from the "innkeeper" regarding my concerns about the apparent "bait and switch." He initially tried to soft-shoe me about how the charges were supposed to go; due to the reservation system not working the way it is supposed to. I told him that I understood his explanation, but the confirmation e-mail showed a different amount. Thomas then accused me of trying to "fleece" them. That confirmation e-mail is a contract and all I wanted was for him to abide by the contract. If the original confirmation e-mail had been correct, there would have been no issue. Finally after some back and forth, he begrudgingly agreed to refund the money. (As of this posting, the refund has not hit my account) He told me that nobody had ever questioned the elevated charge before, which I find hard to believe. I wonder how many people he has deceptively changed the contract on? Thomas, you have a nice property and great staff, however your customer service skills are severely lacking. If anybody does not like the place or agree with you, it seems you go on the offensive and become bullish. You never get a second chance to make a first impression. My first impression of you left a bad taste in our mouth. We will not return to your establishment. My wife spoke to some of her colleagues about the charges and they were quite taken aback that a merchant would conduct business in this manner. The Best B &B I have ever stayed at, however due to their deceptive billing practices, I cannot, in good conscience recommend this establishment.
"An Unexpected Find"
10/29/14 Jane S Hellertown, Pennsylvania
My husband and I were traveling home from Florida with our dog, and booked the Garden and Sea Inn because it was "dog friendly" and on our route. Even before we arrived, the hospitality was evident; they actually called to make sure there were no dietary restrictions as they planned the weekend menu. We didn't know what to expect, but when we arrived we were greeted by Michelle, who showed us the property and our room and gave helpful suggestions for dinner. The room was immaculate, spacious and comfortable. There were snacks available, even for our dog! And, they are truly dog friendly. There is plenty of room outside for long walks and exercise (and our dog wants to make sure we mention the treats!). There were waste bags and a place to dispose. The breakfast was absolutely wonderful. The owners were away, so we were not able to meet them, but their sense of welcome and hospitality was evident, and Michelle and the staff took great care of everything. Next time, instead of a stop on the road, we will make this inn a destination.
"Excellent Meals, Friendly Hosts, Smelly Closet"
10/26/14 BobbyRubino Elizabethtown, Pennsylvania
My girlfriend and I have stayed here two years in a row. Both times the breakfasts were amazing: Mascarpone-stuffed French toast with a fresh plum and red wine reduction, eggs Benedict with a smoked salmon twist, banana French toast with a pecan streusel topping. In addition, owners Thomas and Doro and their staff are extremely friendly, welcoming, and helpful at suggesting things to do over one's visit (both the island boat tour crew and winery they recommended were excellent). However, on the first night of our three-night visit we informed management of an odd smell emanating from the main closet (which was inconveniently located a few feet from our bed). The next morning we asked if someone could check the crawl space beneath the floors or the attic above the room for a dead animal; the crawl space was checked but not until the following afternoon. In short, we didn't feel like our concerns were addressed in a timely or adequate manner. On the last morning of our stay we were told by staff that they were in fact aware of a bad smell in that closet, but that the most likely culprit was mold (this was not remotely possible - we know the difference between a musty, moldy smell and that of decomposing animal flesh; and even if it was the case, this revelation right before checkout was not appreciated). The Garden and Sea Inn is a charming place where you can relax outside on a hammock, sip port and snack on homemade cookies available in the common area, and enjoy some of the finest breakfasts I've ever tasted. But you may want to pack some air freshener just in case.