All hotels in Playa del Carmen, Quintana Roo, Mexico
Carretera Cancún-Tulum KM 62, Municipio Solidaridad, Playa del Carmen, QROO, 77710, Mexico, ‏‎800-491-6126

4.8
    4.9
"nice hotel - definitely 4 - 4.5 star quality"
grand velas is a very nice hotel in playa del Carmen area - we have stayed at many hotels including one and only palmilla in cabo, the tides in playa, ritz carlton in cancun, etc... - it was nice but not the caliber of a true 5 star experience - the concierge service and restaurant staff are a 5/5 as they are well trained with customer service - one downfall is the pool staff - they were not helpful and unenthusiastic - when we asked if our family could sit down they simply said sure go ahead or nodded their heads - they did not bring us towels or set up our chairs, etc... it's pretty much every man for himself at the pool for towels, setting up, moving chairs, putting up the umbrellas, rare opportunity to order food, drinks, etc... there were no offers to provide our 2 year old toys, water to drink, etc.. also the swim up bartender appeared very annoyed at all the kids ordering milk shakes - we were also bothered by a call from the hotel to sit for a 30-45 minute session and in turn get a $150 discount and free future rooms - this sort of solicitation was never encountered at our other 5 star mexico hotels
Other trip Jun 1, 2014
family R&R
FANTASTIC!!!! I went on the trip without any preconceived ideas about the hotel. The staff was extremely accommodating and always said hello when passing in the hallway or restaurants. If the staff thought you may be in need of something, they never hesitated to inquire if I needed help with anything at all. During the entire stay @ the resort my every need was addressed and taken care of. I am definitely recommending this resort to all of my friends!!!
Other trip Jun 1, 2014
Merrily
"Great hotel, prefect service"
This was our second time at Grand Velas, and this time it was even better. The room was spacious and clean, all the restaurants are great, service is excellent.
4 night family trip May 22, 2014
RS
"The luxury is in the details"
We stayed at the Grand a Class section in a very large sized and we'll equipped suite with amazing ocean front view. The entire resort is even more spectacular than it looks on the website and the videos. Staff truly cater to your needs and pay attention to the smallest details ensuring a fabulous stay. The food is the best we've ever tasted compared to other all inclusive resorts, and we have been to quite a few 5 star resorts in Mexico and the Dominican Republic. There is limited night time activity, just a Sports bar that stays open until 3am. So if you are looking to party hard, you either have to take a cab off the resort or stay some where else. If you are looking for a top notch, elegant place to truly disconnect, be pampered and enjoy quiet romantic time with your significant other, then this is definitely the place to come.
Other trip May 28, 2014
Bunny and Mumu
"Great choice for a last minute getaway"
It was a great hotel, with an amazing staff willing to cater to our every need.
Other trip May 27, 2014
"Excellent Experience"
The Grand Velas is an amazing hotel. This is a perfect romantic getaway and you will be treated like a king and queen. Everything from the staff, rooms, food and alcohol were excellent.
Other trip May 26, 2014
"Great hotel and service"
We stayed at grand velas where my brother got married. We had a wonderful time there, great location and service. Food was really great and high end. Pool and beach area were very well maintained and clean. A few snafus with shuttle pick up from the airport but the resort compensated me for the mistake. We had out two year old daughter an they provided beach toys and a stroller and carseat to and from the airport so we were able to travel lifht. My husband and I had never done the resort thing and it definitely changed my mind. I would do it again for sure!
Other trip May 22, 2014
Meg
"One of my favorite places that I've been."
I have been round the world and this is by far my all time favorite. Staff couldn't do enough for you. The food was on the level of the best new York restaurants. The first night I stayed in the Zen which is in a tropical setting, though many people might like that, I'd rather be on the beach. When I was transferred to the beach section I could not ask for anything more.
Other trip May 19, 2014
"Best of the Best!"
It is one of the most amazing places to stay! You have to see it to believe it. The service, the restaurants, the spa, the pool, the kids club, the beach, the rooms, the free minibar, the top shelf drinks are all fantastic. It is our second time back and it was just as awesome as the first time we went. We stayed at the Zen side of the resort with our children which is very peaceful and quiet. Recommend 2nd level because the ceilings are taller and makes the room look huge. The kids club stays open till 11 pm which allowed my wife and I to have dinner and spend time together. All I have to say is Don't think about and just go!
Other trip Apr 24, 2014
Sammy
"spring vacation at grand velas"
Grand Velas (GV) is an upscale all-inclusive; Absolutely perfect for families that enjoy both together time as well as opportunities for kids to play on their own so the adults can have their own time. Staff is well trained and very accomodating - and able to deal satisfactorily with the obnoxious as well as the respectful. The facilities are first cut and the food - whether at the pool or in the restaurants - is generally very good. Expensive - but worth it.
Other trip Apr 21, 2014
"Top notch all inclusive!"
The Grand Velas was an amazing experience so many ways....the food, the beach, the friendly and attentive staff. Having 8 restaurants to choose from was great - and the quality of the food was excellent. The beach is pristine, and having food and beverage service made it so enjoyable. The staff everywhere were so friendly and really seemed to enjoy their jobs. We stayed at the Zen suites and with the shuttle service, getting to the beach and other parts of the sprawling property were very easy. We never had to wait more than a couple minutes. The only minor issue we had was related to our main floor suite at the Zen. The main floor suites are close to the jungle and a small "stream". As a result, they seem to have a slightly musty odor. The staff were very accomodating, and moved us to a 2nd level suite...problem solved.
Other trip Apr 20, 2014
JALC
"Awesome Hotel! Best All-inclusive!"
The Grand Velas was one of the best all- inclusive hotels I have ever been to. The property was beautiful, the service was excellent, food was great! The hotel was at full capacity yet you were able to get chairs at the pool, dinner reservations, etc. it was a wonderful experience for me and my family!!
Other trip Apr 19, 2014
lisa
"Excellente !"
Everything about our vacation was great and we just got back last night after a 7 day vacation. We lived in the Zen area and its very calm - If you are going to relax , Then pick Zen ( with a mosquito repellent) though. Ambassador is nicer but expensive. If you dont care about budget - pick ambassador. Our staff was outstanding ( Fernando, Jesus from Concierge) Jacobo at bar, Raul and Gerardo at Pool to name some. The only one concern i have about the resort is - Kids club. They should do something about small babies apart from leaving us the only option to hire a babysitter as it becomes expensive after a point. Our kids are 1 and 3 which kind of limited ourselves to be around them when we dint have a babysitter. Restaurants : Frida was exceptional followed by Cocina Autor. Did not get a chance to try Bistro or Piaf as we have kids. The only one restaurant which wasn't on par was Senlin as everything we ate was sweet. Activities : Snorkeling is included in all inclusive and it was great ! A lifeguard takes you in a kayak to the reef which was fun. Photography : DreamArt did an exceptional job with pics and i wish it was affordable. I thought they were very expensive though. There is a lot to write but overall - Its worth every penny- Just do it!
Other trip Apr 14, 2014
Shank
"Beautiful Hotel!"
This hotel was absolutely beautiful! Very clean, large rooms, excellent customer service and terrific food! This was our first time to Cancun and our first time staying at an all-inclusive. It was well worth it. The service at the restaurants was great! Especially Luis at Sen Lin-he was the best waiter I have ever encountered. I can't say enough good things about this hotel. We went with another family and the kids loved the pools, the swim up bar, and the teen club. Definitely will stay here again.
Other trip Apr 13, 2014
Jen
"Great architectural design"
Staff, particularly at Front Desk and Concierge needs additional training. Disregarded all preferences that had been defined in writing, did not know about Expedia upgrade requests and unreliable to confirm special reservations.
Other trip Apr 8, 2014
"Wonderfu l Hotel"
We were catered to at every opportunity. The service and food was spectacular. The rooms were large and comfortable. The beach was nice, but the ocean bottom is a bit rocky. The pool was very nice. This was the best all-inclusive by far.
Other trip Apr 7, 2014
"Beautiful doesn't give this hotel justice"
From the time you check in until you leave you are treated like a queen. My husband and I were on a horrible redeye flight with multiple stops and horrible service. All we wanted to do was check in and go to sleep. Once we entered the Grand Velas we were so impressed sleep was the last thing on our minds. We ended up having an wonderful brunch at the Bistro over looking a pool over looking the beautiful beach. The rooms are fantastic and all the service is amazing. There are so many great places to eat and great drink selections no matter how much you pay to stay there you feel like you are getting a deal.
Other trip Apr 5, 2014
Jen
"Beautiful resort"
Great spot. Beautiful resort and beach. Large but all three sections have their unique charm. We stayed in Zen section which was lovely, and never waited more than a minute for the shuttle to take us back and forth from the beach areas. Food was a bit mixed, but Cocina de Autour and Piaf were great. Bistro also good.
Other trip Apr 2, 2014
"Families everywhere as well as free Baby package"
I've never been to an all inclusive hotel/resort. This was a first for my wife and I and we loved it. I don't think I can go back having experienced this. I had a great time here. The facilities are clean and nice as well as staff. I was skeptical about what we would be drinking was quite surprised w/ the selection of liquor. Don't expect craft beer lol.
Other trip Apr 1, 2014
"5 Diamond family friendly hotel."
We visited Riviera Maya for the first time in January 2013 and stayed at a competing property closer to Cancun. It was nice, but If you want to stay at a hotel that will provide you with an experience that you will truly never forget, this is the one for you! On this trip, I was traveling with my wife and my five and eight-year-old girls. From the moment that we entered the property I knew that we had had made the right choice. The perfectly manicured grounds were like something out of a dream. The common areas of the hotel were very well taken care of. Nothing was ever out of place and everything was so clean. The property is so expansive that we rarely saw other guests anywhere other than the restaurants or pool areas. We stayed in the Zen section of the hotel. Our room was very spacious and clean. At first I was nervous about being set back from the beach and ocean and thought about asking to upgrade rooms to the ambassador section so that we wouldn't have to take the shuttle back and forth from the main buildings. I am glad I didn't because the savings afforded us the ability to visit Xel Ha and play golf at El Camaleon next door! The shuttle service was prompt and reliable. We never had to wait longer than 30 seconds for a ride. There was almost always a shuttle waiting for us when we needed one. The drivers were very courteous and attentive and helped make our stay a pleasurable one. All of the staff at the hotel made us feel comfortable and at home.
Other trip Mar 31, 2014
"Best All inclusive in Mexico, if not anywhere!"
Excellent hotel with fantastic food and superb beach.
Other trip Mar 30, 2014
"Zen was very peaceful"
Although not right by the beach this area of the resort is great due to closure to nature and overall calming vibe. We also never had to wait for the resort minivans to pick us up to take us to the other areas of the resort. Overall a really good experience
Other trip Mar 30, 2014
Beautiful facility, location & service. If you travel during peak times as we did, be sure to make dinner reservations ahead of time as the restaurants do fill up.
7 night trip Mar 12, 2014
Sonia
"Everything we could ask for"
The resort exceeded our expectations. The wait staff were always ready and willing to attend to our every needs. For those who are traveling with out kids just remember that some of the restaurants are adults only and the others are for families (which means it will be noisier). Last bit of advice.. when you check in BOOK your restaurants immediately. They can fill up quickly.
4 night trip Mar 13, 2014
"Best vacation so far"
We spent there one week, and had one of the most relaxing week of our life, so far.
Other trip Mar 17, 2014
"Excellent all inclusive resort"
Fantastic hotel, staff facilities, beach and food. Would recommend the Grand Velas Riviera Maya for anyone looking for an all exclusive resort.
Other trip Mar 12, 2014
MR
"Amazing hotel, expensive and worth every penny"
I just left yesterday and want to go back. I stayed at Occidental Xcaret as well and although the ratings are similar, Grand Velas is SO much nicer. It's a full star rating difference. The only (small) negatives are a) the room smells a little musty in the Zen towers since you are surrounded by woods/water, and b) you need to take a shuttle to the beach. Both of these are minor and far outweighed by the positives. Note that this is not a party hotel. One bar may get crowded at night (e.g. 50 people), but other nights it will be you and the bartender.
Other trip Mar 12, 2014
J
"Amazing resort with outstanding service!"
From the moment we entered the open-air lobby to the moment we put our feet in the sand on the expansive beach, we were amazed by the beauty of the property and the top notch service. Every employee was friendly, helpful and went out of their way to make sure we had what we needed at every step of our stay.
Other trip Mar 6, 2014
"The Best All-Inclusive Resort In the World!"
Been to many hotels in the region and nothing compares to the service and quality of this resort! Best restaurants and food quality is outstanding. Rooms are very accommodating and services are top notch.
Other trip Mar 3, 2014
"beautiful, ocean front room"
Everything was great. A little too noisy if close to the elevator but that is not an all day issue. Food was wonderful, nice decor. Quality drink options
Other trip Feb 22, 2014
"Hotel is paradise if you know what you're getting."
The property is beautiful and huge. It is separated into 3 sections. Two are for kids and the third is adults only. What they don't tell you is that the Zen area is not as kid friendly as they say. The walkways are dark at night and very quiet. The pool is not set up for children. This area is more like a spa retreat for couples. The Ambassador section is a short bus ride away, and the buses come often. We never waited. The pool at Ambassador is perfect for kids. The beach is right there. Ma@$!L is one of the pool managers and he is great. He takes care of everything. Er!c and San$@go were our poolside waiters and they were the best. We never waited for drinks or anything. Very friendly and helpful. We would leave the Zen, where we were staying and spend the day at the Ambassador pool and beach. There were even shows poolside and a bouncy castle. The bathrooms by the pool were clean and well kept. The food at all the restaurants was very high end especially for all-inclusive. The truffle risotto at Lucca was as good as any NY restaurant. Even the room service food was exceptional. The poolside food was great and I'm picky. Be aware there are only a few restaurants that accept kids for dinner and there is a dress code. What they don't tell you is that there is absolutey nothing to do after dinner unless you go to the teen club with your kids to shoot pool or kariokee. The teen club is also beautifully kept. Other than that there is no music or entertainment you can go to
Other trip Feb 22, 2014
Family
"Beyond 5 star! Excellent excellent!"
My husband and I are just returning from an Anniversary trip and WOW! What an amazing place!! From the moment we got out of the shuttle we were attended to like royalty. We've stayed at The Ritz Carlton and the service here even surpassed that! The food at "all inclusive" resorts usually isn't that good but it was excellent here! The minibar is included-snacks and soda/water restocked daily We stayed in the Zen suites. Beautiful and quiet. Had our own small splash pool but it wasn't heated so since it was in the shade it was too cool to enjoy. It looks as if you are in the middle of the jungle. The infinity pools are amazing. I don't think they book to capacity because even though the website says nothing was available it wasn't crowded at all. If you want to know how spoiled you are getting-walk down to one of the other resorts and you will quickly see. I cannot say enough good things. If I had to list a con it would be having to take the shuttle to the actual beach from the Zen suite area if you are not staying in the beach front Ambassador section. But we liked being away from others, in the "jungle". The spa was AMAZING!! You have to enjoy the water journey prior to your treatment. The beach water area isn't as nice as the hotel zone area simply because of where they are located on the map but still very nice. The service here would outweigh anything negative I could think of! Make sure you tell them anything you are celebrating and wait for the surprise!
Other trip Feb 21, 2014
Tonya
"Great place for couples"
Great place for couples. Very relaxing. Wouldn't go there with a group that likes to party.
Other trip Feb 18, 2014
Lauren
"Phenomenal Service!"
We had an incredible experience at The Grand Velas Resort! From the minute we arrived from the airport the resort staff were looking out for us doing their best to make sure we had the best experience imaginable. Everyone was incredibly accommodating and friendly and went out of their way to be helpful. The staff were polite, friendly and always around to be of service. We felt like we were being waited on and pampered even when we were just walking around the resort. While we were unsure about the convenience of staying in the Zen rooms further away from the larger pool and beach, it turns out that we had nothing to worry about. The transportation back and forth was beyond easy and we never waited longer than two minutes for a shuttle. We didn't have any trouble with noise in the Zen section, however, it's possible that during a busier time it would have been nice to be in the adults only section. Our room was spacious and lovely and we enjoyed having the private balcony. Everything about the resort was clean and well maintained and we had a very relaxing enjoyable experience.
Other trip Feb 11, 2014
"Great trip"
Had great time staff friendly kids loved the kids club. Food some of the best restaurants I have ever been to. Pool side sushi and Ceviches for adults burgers and hot dogs for kids made for great Lunches. Victor the pool manager/concierge took care of our every need. It was hard to believe it was Mexico because service so prompt and things so clean.
Other trip Feb 9, 2014
woody
Amazing place. Excellent staff, food, bed, luxury.
Other trip Feb 6, 2014
dr
"Fantastic honeymoon!"
I think it's important to give a frame of reference when making a review. My husband and I are by no means jet-setter 5-star-only hotel-goers, but I think we have high standards for hotel quality and food. This resort met and exceeded all of our expectations! We went here in late January for our honeymoon, and had a fantastic time! We stayed in the Zen suites, which I think I actually preferred to the more expensive rooms closer to the beach. The jungle area by Zen was pretty and secluded, so it felt like we had access to two different resorts. There was ALWAYS a shuttle waiting to take us to the main property, and it took about 90 seconds each time. The food was delicious. Cocina de autor was our favorite, followed by Frida and Piaf. However, ALL the restaurants were delicious, and we live in a city with plenty of fine dining (Chicago). Not a single complaint! The only things worth mentioning that COULD be a deal-breaker (if these things are extremely important to you) are: 1. There really is no nightlife. However, my husband and I preferred this atmosphere. After dinner, we'd get a drink at one of the bars and relax. 2. The atmosphere can change quickly depending on what groups are there. During the first few days of our stay, a conference was at the hotel and everyone we talked to in passing asked if we were from the conference. It seemed like being "regular" visitors made us the minority. But they were all very nice and didn't cause any disruption.
Other trip Feb 6, 2014
SS
"Awesome place with awesome staff"
Wonderful hotel with excellent staff and always willing to make our stay very pleasant. Francisco (Paco) in Zen is supert.
Other trip Jan 28, 2014
"Beautiful hotel with amazing amenities and service"
I am not a big "resort person." I travel to Mexico yearly and often to remote areas. I enjoy roughing it in paradise. This year we celebrated a special occasion and decided to try something different. Grand Velas is a wonderful oasis in an area of Mexico that is over-wrought with tourists looking to get wasted. It took a full day to get used to the massive property and buildings. It felt very commercial and the opposite of what I am often drawn to. But having such wonderful service and amenities along with beautiful surroundings made me wonder how I ever travelled any other way before. There was no shortage of food and drink, and despite the proximity to "party-town" and all-inclusive angle, it often felt as if we were the only guests around. The food was great and there were plenty of options. The beach was amazing. Plenty of tented beds and lounge chairs. Full-service bar to your seat. Beautiful infinity pools in multiple locations. We took several day trips to Playa del Carmen, Cozumel and Tulum. All very easy to get to. The hotel even pays for your taxi one-way to Playa where you can catch the bus or ferry to different towns. Over-all this trip was amazing. We got as much r&r as we needed and added as much adventure as we wanted. The only down-side for us was that there wasn't a tremendous amount of exposure to the mexican culture. Wish there were more options to experience the local food on the hotel grounds.
Other trip Jan 21, 2014
"Entirely different level of all-inclusive"
Yep, it was darn good. The food was great, service great, facilities great. I spent a week at Grand Velas with my gf and we didn't leave the resort once. I know I know, we were supposed to go see the historical sites/temples, swim in some caves and ride the zip lines. However it was just too darn nice and relaxing, we couldn't motivate ourselves to leave! As far as the restaurants go, everything is enjoyable. The two standouts for us were Frida and Piaf. I suggest if you go that you book those early in the week so you can repeat whichever you like better on your last night. At Frida you are started off by the server making you a Don Julia margarita table-side (I went with mango) which I thought was a nice touch and Piaf you are provided with wine pairings for each course. The wine, while not top end, isn't bad either. We were served Mondavi, Ravens Wood, etc. It's been well documented that you are given a bill to sign after each meal where you are provided an opportunity to tip (if you please). In the bill we were also usually given a comment card, which is assuring they are constantly using feedback. We ended up tipping somewhere between 10-15% for the meals depending how friendly our server was which varied between $20-40 USD. We didn't convert any cash to pesos, didn't find that necessary. My one piece of advice would be to bring something for heartburn/acid reflux. You're going to have lots of spice and acidic foods/drinks! And Enjoy!
Other trip Jan 21, 2014
Pete
"Amazing resort"
We traveled a lot around the world and always stayed on five stars hotels my wife and I rank this resort as one of the best.
Other trip Jan 18, 2014
Farouk
Amazing hotel , amazing food, amazing staff !!! The best vacation !
Other trip Jan 12, 2014
lina
Highly recommend this resort! Food was AMAZING, service was excellent and the grounds and room was beautiful!
2 night trip Jan 7, 2014
"Would return again!"
The hotel was excellent. Very friendly & helpful staff and not pushy. Food was good. Beach was great! Lots of activities for families. Quiet in evenings. Easy ride to Playa del Carmen, taxi to town was included.
4 night family trip Jan 1, 2014
Jill
"nice hotel if in grand or ambassador section"
food and service was great would not want to be in zen section quite a ways from beach. Staff very attentive. Made you feel special. Food was gourmet. Pools were warm which I loved some places it's too cold. Beach was kept clean I would recommend water shoes. One thing I would improve would be better communication for activities. Had a hard time locating exercise zumba classes and no one seemed to know the answers. Also I think they spoiled the natural beach look by putting a huge metal frame up for new years way too early. It spoiled some scenic pictures.
Other trip Jan 1, 2014
deb
It was a lovely experience for me and my family, I highly recommend it to anyone for a tranquil vacation with amazing food and amazing environment…
Other trip Dec 22, 2013
"BEST RESORT IVE BEEN TO"
Super clean professional overly accomodating. amazing luxurious rooms and bathrooms BEST spa experience-- a must here! Food was 5 stars at all 6 different restaurants with many different cuisine options.
Other trip Dec 19, 2013
LALA
"Best kids friendly hotel in cancun"
We tried several resorts in cancun, riviera maya. This one is the best. Food is great, magnificent pools and landscaping. I normally never spent time on writing reviews, but this one is worth it. They have kids club where you can drop off you 4+ year old for free, where they are going to watch the kid, do arts and crafts etc. Room service is excellent. Highly recommend this place to someone who is looking for quolity.
Other trip Dec 17, 2013
dariam
"Extraordinary Service"
We can't say enough about the amazing level of service you will receive staying at Grand Velas. From the moment we checked in, the hotel staff took care of us and made sure we were comfortable. After some miscommunication during the booking process, the hotel staff (specifically Alma) made sure all our issues were resolved satisfactorily. The hotel building itself is great. We ate at the italian and "molecular" restaurants and both were delicious. The pool area and staff were excellent and helped us relax and unwind. The only negative I'd mention is that the bedsheets in our room smelled very musky, as if they werent dried properly and the pillows were very uncomfortable. But, true to the level fo service this hotel provides, both of these issues were fixed immediately for us when we requested the sheets and pillows were changed. I would feel very comfortable recommending to anyone looking for a great vacation. NOTE: If you want to stay on the beach, make sure you stay in either the Ambassador or Grand Class buildings. If you book in the "Zen Grand" building, you will not have a beach view and will need to take a shuttle bus 5 minutes to get to the pool/beach area. This information is not clear on the hotels.com website.
2 night trip Dec 3, 2013
SLD
"Make sure you get what you paid for !!!"
PROS: the hotel itself is very nice, and overall is good to visit it. Really good for relaxing, even though you can find problems in your room. CONS: If I go next time, I will make sure to get what I paid for, Hotel staff hide some information (not everybody, but I would say about 30% of them), and please make sure you make them feel you are the one in control of any situation always !!!.. otherwise you can be waiting for a margarita all day long !!!, specially when is your checkout day. If travelling from Miami ( DON'T EVEN MENTION IT )
Other trip Dec 5, 2013