All hotels in Long Beach, California, United States of America
335 Pacific Avenue, Long Beach, CA, 90802, United States of America, ‏‎800-491-6126

Quite clean
  • Bar
    Bar is awesome
    Room is not nice
    Uncomfortable
"Little unique hotel with charm, comfort and great!"
Excellent little hotel! Super helpful staff, clean, great location and comfortable beds.
Other trip Mar 14, 2015
andriya
"Charming revamped hotel with character"
Very pleasant and attentive staff. Rooms are described accurately online so I give this place two thumbs up. They keep ther establishment clean with a modern upgraded twist. It's on the edge of downtown but still feels pretty safe.
2 night business trip Mar 6, 2015
Megan
"4-day stay....too long"
Staff is fabulous! Hotel is modern and clean! Rooms are the size of prison cells (I assume, as I have never been held in one). Room size, bed size and weird bathroom really bummed me out.
4 night business trip Mar 4, 2015
Pleasant. Quiet. Clean. Met my needs as a single woman traveler. Would stay again.
Other trip Mar 9, 2015
"Why not feel like you are at home?"
this is the second year we all have stayed for a business trip love the Varden, love the staff the only way to go in Long Beach!
2 night business trip Feb 20, 2015
Small, but quaint rooms! The staff were tremendous.
Other trip Feb 19, 2015
"VERY tiny hotel room in Long Beach"
The room was very tiny but clean. Sliding closets door separate the bedroom from the bathroom which gives no privacy to couples. The front desk clerk didn't have a wine opener or knife which I found very strange. Our room did not come with a mini fridge and there were no snack or drink machines. Not even free coffee or water! I would recommend staying somewhere else for this price point ($150 including tax). However the manager was so kind that I did not have the heart to complain about anything.
Other trip Feb 9, 2015
"Good experience"
Pleasant and helpful staff
2 night business trip Jan 5, 2015
"A stay in Long Beach"
The staff were wonderful. The rooms are VERY small - definitely large enough for more than a single traveler.
3 night business trip Dec 3, 2014
"Nice hotel with personal attention toward guests"
Nice boutique hotel with exceptional service. Rooms are small yet represent good value when considering the rate of alternative hotels in the area. Only real drawback was that the room was poorly insulated from noise of other rooms and the outside hallways.
1 night trip Nov 29, 2014
"Really neat place."
I had out o town guest and needed a place close to me in LB. She loved it. Good value, and the customer service was outstanding. Tracy was personable, attentive and she made us feel that she would give all the time we needed to make sure that we were satisfied and understood all the hotel policies and history. Reminded me of boutique hotels in Cusco, Peru. Charming
Other trip Nov 19, 2014
e
"A pretty place"
Helpful staff, comfy bed, good planning in room arrangement
3 night trip Nov 13, 2014
Julia
"Absolutely our favorite hotel in Long Beach!"
This hotel is truly a hidden gem!!! A vintage building that has been well cared for with European flair. The customer service was impeccable, the cleanliness was on the mark and we couldn't have been happier. Anytime we are in Long Beach, we will be staying here - No question!
1 night romance trip Nov 8, 2014
"I would recommend."
Pleasant. Short. Front desk people were very, very kind and helpful.
1 night business trip Oct 28, 2014
"An unlikely surprise!"
I was pleasantly surprised by the staff and how friendly they were. The hotel is in a great location, only steps away from downtown Long Beach's Pine avenue. I grew up in Long Beach, and have lived in New York since the late 80's. Great job at a being a boutique hotel. Very clean. The bed was so comfortable, cable TV, free internet, and fresh fruit and free coffee/tea/water was a plus. I will definitely return to The Varden when I visit family in Long Beach again.
1 night business trip Oct 8, 2014
Dion Robinson
"Excellent Example of a Boutique Hotel"
It was a great stay. The evening front desk staff is extremely helpful and hospitable. She even helped us locate a few important necessities around the downtown area before our flight. Kudos
2 night romance trip Oct 7, 2014
Mathew
"Great Small Boutique Hotel"
This is a great little hotel. The only caveat is that the rooms are small. Great for one person or a very romantic couple. Not so great for anyone else. Other than that, you cannot beat the location or the service. One final caveat, there are no elevators, but they are happy to help you with your bags.
1 night business trip Oct 5, 2014
"Upscale ex-boarding house"
I have driven past this hotel countless times and often stopped at the donut shop next door but it never really caught my attention. It looks like an old boarding house but it has been totally upgraded and remodled in white modern decor. Room is fairly small but I don't spend much time in there anyway. There is a streetcar rail line in front but I never heard a train in the 2 nights I was there. The neighborhood is urban, but easy 2 block walk to Pine St restaurants and entertainment.
2 night business trip Sep 29, 2014
"Modern, friendly and comfortable"
Very clean and modern hotel. Small room but very comfortable. Staff was always friendly, and I can't complain about the complementary wine tasting everyday. If you're in the Long Beach area I would highly recommend it.
3 night business trip Sep 20, 2014
Robert Vidaure
"Definitely "boutique""
Old building with thin walls, I could hear the guest in the room next door snoring. The rooms are tiny but the AC and shower were great, bed comfy and staff very accommodating. For 2 nights downtown it was perfect for just me.
2 night business trip Sep 17, 2014
Lola
"Very convenient!"
The location of this hotel is GREAT. It is central to the main shopping, nightlife, and restaurants in Long Beach. Also down the street from the aquarium and the Pike. The price of the room was a good deal considering the location. The staff was also incredibly friendly and we got a cup of cold white wine when we arrived because we made it just in time for their complementary wine tasting. The building is clean and well kept, but old. The neighborhood was also a bit shady, but so is most of Long Beach (let's be real!). The stairs are creaky and the hallways are slightly hospital-like, but that did not bother me too much. The room itself was small but comfortable and very clean. I loved the white theme of the hotel. However, I could have definitely used a bigger sink. I'm a woman who likes to lay my makeup and toiletries out and there was definitely no room for that. Overall, pleasant experience, will probably return!
1 night trip Aug 30, 2014
Lucy
"Grey staff and stay"
Couldn't ask for more. Great people, cool rooms... Perfect.
Other trip Sep 1, 2014
mike
Great location, amazing staff, comfy room
4 night trip Aug 18, 2014
"Super nice boutique hotel in downtown Long Beach"
In Long Beach for the Sprint Triathlon, showed up Saturday and they were able to store the bikes for us in a downstairs room, safe and ready to go the next morning at 5AM! As it was Breakfast with fresh coffee, fruit and pastries. The staff was super helpful, the hotel clean and the room small (I knew that) but smartly designed and pleasantly decorated. The bed was super comfortable. The hotel is short walking distance from most restaurants in the new Long Beach downtown, altogether and very pleasant experience, yes I would go back.
Other trip Aug 18, 2014
Carlos
"Beautiful renovation"
Staff and the owner was amazing. Very service oriented. No elevator but the help with bags.
1 night business trip Aug 13, 2014
Rob
"Great hotel for a great price!"
Very friendly staff and extremely well kept hotel. Stayed here several times and will continue to stay when in Long Beach, CA.
1 night trip Jul 3, 2014
RV
"Excellence service"
Small rooms, but not small enough to be a problem. Very nice staff, location was great. Breakfast consisted of juice/coffee and muffins, plus yoghurt and ready to make-pouridge.
4 night romance trip Aug 4, 2014
"Excellent Location"
The location is outstanding as it is within walking distance of downtown Long Beach. We walked to the hotel from Pine street two nights in a row at midnight and had no issues at all. The hotel has great customer service and security. My wife was unhappy with the size of the bathroom but she managed to deal with it and the location easily offsets that issue.
2 night trip Aug 1, 2014
"No Elevator - But clean, convenient and friendly"
This is a historic building, a 'walk-up' - which means no elevator. The location is great for Long Beach activities - you can walk to the Promenade and a huge variety of restaurants and bars. The customer service is outstanding, and the room was clean. The only reason I gave this hotel a "3" for overall rating is because it has no elevator and the room is VERY small. Most rooms only have a double bed, and it's up against a wall to give you some space. There are clothing hooks but no closet, and a shelf under the hooks so you can't hang anything long. The bathroom is tiny as well. I would stay here again (alone) for 1-2 nights at the most, but this wouldn't work for two people that need more space.
1 night business trip Jul 30, 2014
KakalinaW
"Small but comfortable with 5 star customer service"
The room was comically small, but once you accepted this fact, it became more comfortable. The service staff was 5 star, they have to be, this is a tiny boutique hotel, it's not the Ritz Carlton, but neither was the nightly rate.
2 night trip Jul 22, 2014
Ron R
"Very pleasant, intimate hotel experience"
The Varden Hotel is quite a nice place to stay. Close to restaurants and downtown, fairly quiet. The only criticism I had was that the towels in our room were not quite dry.
3 night trip Jul 4, 2014
Barb
"Very charming hotel!"
The hotel is charming and our room was clean and neat. I was very impressed with the level of service I received from the hotel staff. The bellman escorted us to our room and showed us how to use the TV, ipod radio, AC unit etc. Free wine tasting in the evening was really nice and gave us a chance to mingle with other guests. The room was very small, but I knew this going in because I read reviews of other guests. As far as a nice, clean place to sleep and shower, it was perfect. This is not the type of hotel you'd choose if you were planning on hanging out in the room all day. I'll definitely book here again when visiting Long Beach.
1 night trip Jul 19, 2014
Hilary Fulton
"Perfect location."
Walking distance to many restaurants. Great pre-cruise stay!
Other trip Jul 19, 2014
Deb
VERY nice and accommodating staff, and walking distance to the places we wanted to visit. Rooms are tiny, I wouldn't recommend bringing the kids, but perfect for a weekend getaway!
2 night romance trip Jul 11, 2014
"Second home"
The staff is 100 % attentive. When I left my electric toothbrush behind they called and mailed it to me - got it in one day!
2 night business trip Jul 7, 2014
"Best Service!"
Perfect for two people in downtown Long Beach
4 night trip Jul 2, 2014
immaculate rooms, fun decor and fantastic staff
1 night family trip Jun 28, 2014
Very impressed. I was nervous to book this hotel due to the "boutique" style. The staff was incredible and was there every step of the way to answer my questions. Very friendly! I will definitely be back!
1 night trip Jun 29, 2014
"Close to a lot"
Not bad. Bed was squeaky, could hear the people in the room next us making love on their squeaky bed. Paid parking does not guarantee you a spot, so might not get parking when you need it.
2 night trip Jun 27, 2014
"Not for those who want a traditional hotel"
The Varden is a small and quirky boutique hotel. If you like a traditional hotel experience this is not for you. My experience was mixed. The best part was the staff. They go out of their way to be personable and helpful. Now to the quirkiness. The room I stayed in was the smallest hotel room I had ever seen (and I travel a lot).. They did try some creative space solutions and the materials were first rate. But there was no closet and only one drawer. The desk was tiny and therefore very hard to work at. It had no outlets to plug in anything electronic! The bathroom was also tiny. The sink was so small that the shelf over it covered up 75% of the opening. As such, the sink was almost unusable - try washing your face or brushing your teeth when getting anywhere near the faucet means that you hit your head on a shelf. The shower was also so small as to almost be unusable. You could not stand in it without both arms hitting the surrounding shower curtain (I kid you not). I never thought that I would see a smaller shower (or room) than that on a cruise ship, but there you were.. Finally, although the hotel was generally quiet, I had the misfortune to have the room at the top of the first flight of stairs so all the noise from people talking at the reception desk funneled up to my room. So stay at the Varden if you want a quirky historic hotel with a great staff that gives you the tiniest hotel room you can possibly imagine.
3 night business trip Jun 18, 2014
"Comfortable but small"
Great pillows, very comfortable sheets and comforter. It is small, there is not much desk space to work and the bathroom is tiny.
1 night business trip Jun 12, 2014
roadrep
"Great Place to Stay"
This place was amazing, good price for what you get. Staff incredibly friendly and helpful, they offer refreshments during check-in and have a great continental breakfast in morning. Rooms are small but perfect for two people especially if not spending a lot of time in room. Location is great super close to Queen Mary and is still in good area as suppose to other areas in Long Beach. You have to pay for parking but its in secure lot right next door. Highly recommend this place and definitely staying there again
1 night trip with friends Jun 6, 2014
Drew W
"The price was right! Quiet rooms. Cleanliness."
Everything was functional without all the frills, which I didn't need because I wasn't in the room that long. Everything I needed was provided. The continental breakfast was wonderful and efficient. 4 blocks from the conference center but the free bus service every 20 minutes was accommodating. Request for service answered immediately. Highly recommend for future trips.
3 night business trip Jun 8, 2014
M Mitchell
"Recent stay at Varden Boutique Hotel in Long Beach"
Frankly, I never stayed at a boutique hotel, but it's location was perfect for the social function to which we were invited. Friendly? Absolutely. Welcoming? Absolutely. Breakfast? Coffee, tea, three kinds of yogurt, cereal, apples, oranges. The room? Very modern, elegant, free wi fi, cable tv, air conditioning, very quiet. Many similar hotels in other countries are way below in standards. Just one negative remark: the hotel did not have an elevator...and with my foot problem I had difficulty getting to our room, but...would we stay at the same hotel in the future? Absolutely! It is so close to the beautiful downtown Long Beach.
Other trip Jun 12, 2014
Getta
"Wonderful place to stay"
I was on a business trip to offices within walking distance. Staff could not be more helpful or friendly. The owner was there in the morning when I left. He obviously is very hands-on in making sure guests have a wonderful experience. The rooms don't have a lot of storage/hanging space so not good for a lot of luggage. Great for a quick overnight. The bed was so comfortable! Rooms are very affordable compared to others in the area. Check it out!
Other trip Jun 6, 2014
"Good location in downtown Long Beach"
The Varden is very convenient to the downtown district and nearby attractions.My room was very fresh and well looked after. Most reviewers mentioned the small size of their rooms, but I did not have a problem with mine. These rooms can handle one or two people at the most. More than two people in a room will be confining. My room could have used two extra chairs or a small couch, as there was only one chair for sitting. The bed I had was full size and very comfortable. It was placed near a window where I could get some fresh air.You will get some traffic noise from Pacific Ave., but my room was very quiet with hardly any noise.The staff at the Varden are very friendly and engaging.All are very knowledgable about the area and can recommend restarauts and attractions.The small size of the hotel helps make this possible,as this allows the staff to get to know their guests,something you don't see at the larger properties. Be aware the MTA Blue Line goes by the hotel as does a few Long Beach Transit bus lines, so you do have easy access to public transport. Good luck with your visit.
4 night trip May 15, 2014
DMR
"Perfect Escape"
We have been at the Varden a few times, and as you can see, we are always looking forward to coming back. This is the 3rd review we submit because it is a pleasure to tell others that this is the perfect spot to be when we go to Long Beach
1 night romance trip May 10, 2014
Julles Salvatierra
"Good place but small"
Great customer service but it's small
1 night trip May 9, 2014
"close to convention center"
The hotel staff were very nice and always helpful. It was convenient and clean.
2 night business trip Apr 27, 2014