All hotels in San Luis Obispo, California, United States of America
1930 Monterey Street, San Luis Obispo, CA, 93401, United States of America, ‏‎800-491-6126

"Cal Poly volleyball visit"
Great service. Very quiet rooms. Awesome sized suites.
4 night family trip Nov 6, 2014
JULIE
"Easy to find and so comfortable."
We had a great stay. The desk staff were super nice on check-in, when we had difficulty with the tv and at check-out. The bed and linens were very comfortable and the room nice and quiet so we got a great nights sleep.
4 night family trip Nov 6, 2014
"A nice relaxing stay!"
Decent and convenient place. Good eateries within walking distance. I found it quiet and comfortable. I couldn't get the TV to show anything but channel 3, but I didn't really want to watch TV anyway, as the wi-fi network worked just fine. The free breakfast is OK, with sausage patties and scrambled eggs, orange juice and a selection of breads and muffins and such. I wouldn't hesitate to stay there again.
2 night trip Oct 29, 2014
Matthew
"It's a Room."
The window didn't close properly, the screen looked like it had been pried off, the chairs were stained, and of the course the Bed. The bed, was old and very uncomfortable, you could feel the springs in the bed. That being said, it's a room.
Other trip Nov 3, 2014
Greg
"good value for the money"
staff helpful, decent continental breakfast, comfortable and clean rooms, good value for the cost
3 night business trip Oct 20, 2014
"Weekend in SLO"
All was good, but the upholstered chair provided in the corner of the room was completely broken down, and well beyond its years of service. Would have rather had the extra space, than such a worn out chair.
2 night trip Oct 15, 2014
"Nice close to slo cal poly"
Older looking very home needs updating. For what I paid? Not worth it. Max I would pay is 60 a night.
Other trip Oct 19, 2014
"great get-away in san luis obispo"
excellent breakfast, very helpful desk help, great place to stay
2 night trip with friends Oct 8, 2014
Lenore
"Great place to stop for the night"
Great clean hotel and amazing breakfast. Everything about this place was top notch.
1 night trip Sep 30, 2014
jason
"Great place and worth the money."
Great hotel and very comfortable stay. Breakfast was good and they have a great patio to sit on and eat. Staff was friendly and even had movies we could check out to watch in the rooms. I would recommend others to stay for sure.
1 night family trip Oct 1, 2014
"nice family getaway"
We had a fun family getaway. The pool could have been a little warmer especially sincd our child was the only one enjoying it.
2 night trip Sep 19, 2014
Lupe
"Exceeded my expectations"
This motel is much, much nicer than I expected. The grounds and pool area were in excellent condition and very clean and tidy. The rooms were quiet, clean and spacious with excellent "heavenly beds' as good or better than Westin's. The small refrig. and microwave were a pleasant surprise since most Westins and Hilton's don't even offer them in their rooms. In fact, this motel is nicer than some Crown Plaza hotels I've stayed at! - And to top it odd, they even offer a free breakfast which included scrambled eggs, waffles, cold cereal, and fruit!
Other trip Oct 1, 2014
"Great staff!"
We were in town to see our son at Cal Poly. Unfortunately, while there I came down with food poisoning and was very ill. It was the day of our departure, and the hotel staff could not have been nicer or more helpful. They directed us to Urgent Care, let us stay until I was able to travel and in general were wonderful. Will definitely stay again!
2 night romance trip Sep 26, 2014
"Well-located hotel and good value"
A fatal error for this otherwise good-value property is the paper-thin walls - every sound made by guests on both sides could be easily heard, making sleep very difficult.
Other trip Sep 29, 2014
"Ok for an overnight"
We had booked for three nights but only stayed one night because not what we had hoped for . A bit far from downtown and the room we had was not in the best position
Other trip Sep 27, 2014
chris
breakfast offered was not very good. eggs were hard and dry.
1 night trip Sep 19, 2014
xx
"Nice hotel close to CalPoly"
I stay at this hotel few times while visit my son at Cal Poly. very convenient and easy access to school.
Other trip Sep 21, 2014
ibby
Nice hotel, well kept, excellent complimentary breakfast.
Other trip Sep 20, 2014
jeff
"nice stay but...."
Nice place to stay with fabulous breakfast and pool. Staff was sweet but ill prepared. Door lock failed and we became locked out of room at 11 pm. We did not get back into room until after 1 a.m. staff was friendly but not prepared. Ruined an otherwise great stay because we sat outside waiting when we should have been sleeping . Had a 7 a.m. meeting which was less than productive. No apology ever offered by hotel. Found that to be very odd.
2 night business trip Jul 13, 2014
"Convenient location"
Tight quarters - fine for 2 people but no more than that.
Other trip Sep 18, 2014
"Hotel close to Cal Poly"
Great experience with them. Staff really nice. Free upgrade to a suite which was fantastic!
Other trip Sep 14, 2014
Nothing especially wonderful about the Sands. Nevertheless, it is extremely convenient to the 101 Fwy; and a free, simple but robust breakfast bar is more than what many costlier hotels offer. The Sands was clean and comfortable; is somewhat central to restaurants and Downtown SLO (walking distance if you have the time and energy), and reasonably priced compared to motels of similar quality. While we didn't utilize the pool, it looked large; and the main lobby even has a small library of free DVDs to choose from for viewing in your room. This is my second stay here, and I would stay again, as well as recommend the Sands to friends.
1 night trip Sep 4, 2014
PeteB
"Very relaxing, nice area."
This hotel was near the quaint town of SLO. Very quiet and small. Staff was helpful in recommending places to eat.
Other trip Sep 5, 2014
"Nice, moderately priced hotel"
This is not the Ritz, but for a moderately priced hotel, it was very adequate. It was clean, well maintained, and the sheets and towels were much better than most in this price range. The complimentary breakfast included scrambled eggs, sausage patties, bagels, muffins, make-your-own waffles, yogurt, fruit, OJ, and coffee. The pool was very clean, and kept at the perfect temperature. I would definitely stay here again.
Other trip Sep 1, 2014
"Not what I expected considering the 3 star rating"
This hotel is a hashed-over OLD motel. The room was "remodeled" by a handyman I think. It was cheesy. They retained the original aluminum single-pane windows from the fifties and sixties, which block out NO noise. However, it was clean and comfortable and the breakfast was OK. It was just expensive for what I got.
Other trip Aug 27, 2014
"Nice hotel close to downtown, beach and more."
I choose the perfect hotel for my first time stay in San Luis Obispo. It has a very nice pool and patio making it kid friendly. The rooms feel cozy, and are comfortable providing frig, microwave and DVD player. You can check out from a big selection of movies at front desk. The staff is friendly, courteous and informative. The continental breakfast had a good variety of food, and thru out the day the front desk offered delicious cookies. Best of all, the location is accessible to many tourist attractions.
Other trip Aug 20, 2014
Laurosa
"Close to downtown"
The hotel was nice and clean, the pool area was very nice. I would stay here again.
3 night family trip Aug 13, 2014
"Things happen. Great management."
There were problems beyond the control of the management or hotel with cable/internet. The staff and management went out of their way to minimize its impact on my business trip. Six stars to the staff and management.Very accommodating to my needs.
Other trip Aug 18, 2014
Gene
"Great for 1-2 night stay for driving down coast"
Helpful staff; very clean room I always go for rooms with white bed covers which this motel had. I don't go for pasley spreads and comforters. You can hide a multitude of yuck I a pasley spread. Very clean bathroom. Looks like the rooms were refreshed recently. Took a leisurely drive down the coast and this was perfect.
Other trip Aug 17, 2014
KayJay
"GREAT stay, even with kids. Excellent service."
San Luis Obispo Sands Inn & Suites; my family and I had a GREAT experience. Pool really was heated. No rust or dirt anywhere. One light bulb blinking when we got to our room; the staff quickly took care of it. All the staff were great at anything we asked, and with two children we did have some various needs. Great service is not when everything is perfect, but that the staff will immediately fix anything that comes up--and they did exactly that. This was one of the best experiences we have ever had. We try to pick value hotels but not the lowest chains; this was new to us, and now we will definitely stay there again when we go back to the San Luis Obispo area. Absolutely deserves the highest ratings in every category for a mid-level hotel.
2 night family trip Aug 12, 2014
"On our way home"
Helpful desk when I called asking for specific info regarding SLO. Waffle maker suffered a breakdown just before I was to use it. Fresh fruit @ breakfast. Quiet.
1 night trip Aug 12, 2014
Lei
"I like this place. Second stay here in a year."
Older hotel but well kept. Hot tub was not hot enough the first night. Our neighbors seemed to have NO CONTROL of their children or TV volume. I spoke with the staff and they made sure it did not happen again.
Other trip Aug 13, 2014
Nordictoad
"Do not recommend"
For the price we paid, I expected a lot more. There was no parking for our vehicle, so we parked on the street. The pool does not open until 9:00am (I wanted to do early morning laps). The room was tiny, had old furniture (a recliner/rocking chair -that I'm sure was infested with cooties), and the breakfast food..... oh man! I don't think it was real food. The eggs were a mystery, the fruit was terrible, the orange juice was awful, the pastries looked old and crusty. Overall, we were terribly dissatisfied by this place.
1 night trip Aug 7, 2014
"Decent hotel with a very friendly staff"
First of all, everyone working at The Sands was very helpful, friendly, and professional. Overall, this is a solid option for the price. It is in a good location (close to the freeway, near a few restaurants and cafes, and a 15 minute walk from Downtown SLO) and the rooms are clean and spacious. On the downside, the bed was uncomfortable and the AC didn't work great. The bathroom didn't have a tub and the shower was TINY. Also, the toilet flushes VERY loudly and that can be heard through the walls. I didn't use the pool, but it looked nice, and the fitness center was okay. The complimentary hot breakfast was not very good. I would've rather they do a higher-quality continental breakfast featuring local baked goods, coffee, and fruit, than the spongy instant eggs and steamed sausage patties on offer. Again, hard to fault it too much for the price, but too many problems to give it better than an OK .
Other trip Aug 7, 2014
"San Luis Obispo stay"
We stayed twice at the Sands to and from our trip. The hotel is located at the very north end of town, with good places to eat within walking distance. The hotel staff was extremely courteous and friendly. The free breakfast was adequate. The only problems were the low-flow toilets. Having to flush them multiple times eliminates the conservation for which they are intended.
Other trip Aug 3, 2014
Moss
"Very good experience"
After spending one night at another hotel across town VB with bugs.....we looked online and found the Sands. From the time we stepped into the office to the time we left, we were impressed. Will return
Other trip Jul 30, 2014
T
Regular room with King bed was cramped and dated. Water pressure and temp fluctuated. Switched to suite and quality improvement was obvious.
3 night trip Jul 22, 2014
Rob
"Very clean option for reasonable price"
Excellent place to stay for affordable, clean lodging.
2 night trip Jul 23, 2014
Diana
Good value for the price. Room and grounds were clean and looked good. Can't say enough about helpfulness and politeness of the staff. They really make the Sands a nice place to stay. Would stay at his hotel again.
2 night family trip Jul 21, 2014
Sheryl
"Excellent accommodations"
Fast friendly check-in. Was offered freshly baked cookies. Large rooms with comfortable bed. Like that the sink is separate from the bath. Very good breakfast and overall service. Convenient location to Cal Poly & 101 freeway. Will stay here again!!
2 night trip Jul 21, 2014
Dave W
"Close to Cal Poly"
Great Place for a reasonable price. Jason is fantastic.
2 night trip Jul 22, 2014
Mitch
"Perfect for a college visit"
We were there to visit Cal Poly. Very close to the college. The breakfast was great. The place was pretty quiet. The staff were very friendly.
2 night family trip Jul 21, 2014
"Good Choice"
Good location near Cal Poly and many restaurants. Close to Avila Beach. Clean, nice pool, good hot breakfast, free movies, good rates. Would stay there again.
Other trip Jul 18, 2014
Lynn
"stay"
great location near Cal Poly University, Downtown, and Freeway without being right next to either so that noise is an issue. A quiet place and dog friendly. Great service and clean rooms, spacious suites, but the sink water spout was annoying how the water sprays out (pretty minor complaint except when you wash your hands, brush your teeth, wash your face, ,etc). I would stay there again. Nice breakfast spread, too, including waffle maker, eggs, meats, plus normal continental stuff.
4 night trip Jun 22, 2014
"very conventien to downtown."
Feel very comfort in the hotel.Just the breakfast is not that mcuh choice.
Other trip Jul 12, 2014
May
"The hotel is old but kept well"
The hotel is old but kept well, the rooms are ok, beds comfortable, great towels, the front desk and the cleaning lady were really friendly. The 2 things that would improve the hotel get the carpet of the balcony/hall off and the old old old chair off the room. Good location we drove to town but you could walk.
Other trip Jul 5, 2014
mariana
"Nice place to stay, with good value."
Staff was very accommodating. Overall, very quiet.
Other trip Jun 30, 2014
"Everything Fine in SLO"
The breakfast was well presented. The stay was pleasent
1 night business trip Jun 26, 2014
"Perfect for our needs"
We were visiting Cal Poly with our son for a campus tour. We drove down from Santa Clara and spent the night at Sands Inn. Check-in was quick and easy. The clerk was friendly. He gave us a map of the campus with driving directions. Room was clean we arrived late at night so it was a nice surprise to wake up surrounded by such beautiful scenery. Breakfast was fine. Nothing special but good quality.
1 night trip Jun 26, 2014
Cal Poly visitors
"Room was OK"
The room was OK. It was clean not slightly dated. The problem was with the bathroom. There was a standing shower and the door wouldn't open and shut properly. You could tell they had caulked it several times over, probably due to leaks. I would stay again in a pinch, but it wouldn't be my first choice.
1 night trip Jun 14, 2014