All hotels in Reading, England, United Kingdom

Service is poor
    Uncomfortable
    Bad internet service
"Nope."
yuk! If you are a B and B then serve breakfast. We stayed on a Saturday night and they don't serve breakfast on Sunday mornings. If that was in the pre-booking info I must have missed it. Still, kinda sucks because I paid the same price. Room was stuffy and windows didn't open. No A/C usually isn't a problem in England but it is if you can't get windows to open. Close to train station was its best feature. We never interacted with a human being at this place - I found that odd.
1 night romance trip Jul 18, 2015
Douglas
"Avoid unless you have no choice"
The only good thing about it is the location, right by the train station and around the corner from the very nice Reading city centre. As other reviewers have noted, this isn't a hotel. It isn't really a bed and breakfast either as once the cafe closes at 3:00 there is NO ONE around in case you need anything or require anything. The room is very basic with run-down bureau, old, somewhat stained wall to wall carpet, no chair (at least for my single room) and a VERY UNCOMFORTABLE single bed. I could feel the coils. All doors slam very loudly even if you are trying to be quiet. Bring ear plugs. My room overlooked a back alley filled with garbage cans that were noisily filled around 11:00 at night. The free breakfast was a thoroughly inadequate selection of a bowl of corn flakes or two pieces of buttered toast and a mysterious concoction supposed to be scrambled eggs or a full English breakfast with toast, beans, an egg and mystery meat. If you can abide the mystery meat, it's some sort of breakfast; if you are vegetarian, you will leave almost as hungry as when you arrived. Can't imagine who would frequent this cafe except the beleaguered guests of the "hotel." The staff, who appear to be East European or Russian, aren't exactly friendly. The whole setup reminded me of a post-Cold War place I stayed in in Prague a long while ago. Everything was cheap, beaten-up, and frankly depressing. I hate given such a totally negative review, but this place deserves it.
3 night business trip Apr 14, 2015
La Baguette is conveniently located downtown near the station. The rooms, tucked away above an inauspicious entryway, are petite but very clean, functional and comfortable and the breakfast in the neighboring cafe also met expectations. There was a bit of party noise from the back of a club that backs onto the same courtyard. Also, you will need to call ahead to instructions how to check in after 3 pm. Overall, I thought it was good value.
Other trip Dec 14, 2014
"Worst"
No clean towels. No room service for beds. When I complained the woman said I asked not to have clean linens. SHOULD NOT BE RECOMMENDED TO ANYONE
Other trip Jul 9, 2014

The following English reviews were posted by hotel guests from other countries:

"Most awful experince"
I went to attend a conference in London. It was al on line booking.The hotel owner stays far away leaving the key for entry to a neighbouring café. On entry the doorway was poorly lit .The way to the room was littered with dirt and heavily stained carpet. The timing of the light was such that the light turned off before I reached my room, leaving me out in the cold and dark. Over all the experience of staying in that hotel was very traumatic I will not recommend this place for any body.
1 night business trip Mar 14, 2016
geeta
"Nightmare"
Terrible, avoid at all costs. I didn't even get through the door. I called the mobile number and was instructed where to find the access card, it didn't work. The guy couldn't be bothered to come and open the door for me, he also informed me that he doesn't do refunds. I booked into another hotel instead. Give it a swerve!
1 night business trip Feb 23, 2016
Roy
"So convenient for train and town."
Slick correspondence, amazingly convenient and good value.
1 night business trip Nov 9, 2015
"zero value for money"
it's not a hotel but more a hostel with indvidual rooms. no value for money with no service.
2 night trip with friends Sep 18, 2015
Amit
"No breakfast, no check out!"
The room was well located for us but it's v noisy as in the city centre, was small but pleasant enough. When I came to check out and breakfast though the cafe was shut. Meaning we had to search elsewhere for food even though it had been paid for in the price and we just had to leave our key in our room and shut the door. There was no one to see on our way out. Also checkout times on hotel.com differ from those written in the rooms!
1 night trip with friends Aug 22, 2015
"Very expensive (£65) small noisy room"
Just stayed for an overnight stop, very, very small room! £65 very expensive! Could not sleep, very noisy outside all night. But had a nice bacon roll in the morning. Very close to city centre.
1 night business trip Aug 5, 2015
N
"Hungry Linda"
In a good position for trains, restaurants etc. We assumed breakfast was included but apparently not on a Sunday! No opening window in the room but noisy fan included at no extra charge. One skinny pillow accompanied by skinny duvet. Good shower though.
1 night romance trip Aug 8, 2015
"Nights stopover."
Just a stopover on my way home from Heathrow. Arrived after 3pm so had to request the key guard code, no issues and had a pleasant nights rest. It's location is ideal for the station and the town centre.
1 night trip Jul 28, 2015
"nightmaire stay in Reading"
very noisy at night constant noise it took me days to recover from the sleeplessness and poor rest
1 night business trip Jul 7, 2015
Adebayo
"Honest managers were a credit"
Right, so the rooms are basic and some may not like it. But it's a brilliant location if you want close to the railway station and the owners could not have been more helpful when I was locked out of my room.
Other trip Jun 21, 2015
Jay
I was given the wrong postcode, which led me to walking around Reading for more than an hour. Room was so tiny that it made me claustrophobic. Wi-Fi not working at night. A room with a view, on waste containers. Only took it because it was the last room available, all over Reading. Hopefully never again. But hotel staff was great, very helpful.
Other trip Apr 28, 2015
Ideal location for me & incredibly quiet despite it's central location
Other trip Mar 2, 2015
"A satisfactory hotel"
I stayed at La Baguettes on two seperate occasions. La Baguette is a satisfactory hotel that is conveniently located in the center of Reading. The amenities are OK however the shower heads were quite rusted. Everything else was normal as per hotels in England. The rooms were warms and the beds were satisfactory. The WiFi was slow however usable. In short, the hotel is great if your looking for a stay in Reading, specifically as it is also quite affordable in comparison with some of the larger hotel chains. The breakfast offered was 'ok', fairly normal by English standards.
Ben
"My Stay at La Baguette"
I arrived late, but the owner left a door key in the lock box outside for me. The room was small, but it was sufficient for both the price and what I needed it for. Free wifi that worked well. Room was clean. Overall good stay.
1 night trip Oct 25, 2014
Tiffany
"Ken and Richards stay"
Lovely place good shower very clean and tidy.
1 night trip with friends Oct 18, 2014
Kenneth
"Good location, but cleanliness not so good"
the location is really good, but noise and not clean...
5 night business trip Sep 28, 2014
Raul
"Not a good room for price"
One person, £65 for small single that is too warm is too much
1 night business trip Sep 8, 2014
"Ideally located hotel in the centre of Reading"
I booked this b&b for the Reading festival. It was conveniently located near to the train station. The room was clean and adequate for a single person. The bed was a little firm but satisfactory for one nights stay. Be aware they don't provide breakfast on Sundays. Also it was a shame some of the staff could not understand English and therefore help me with my query.
Other trip Aug 26, 2014
"Budget place"
The corridor smelt of enamel so not a great welcome, the room was ok but the shower was not clean. Ok for a one night stay.
1 night trip Aug 22, 2014
Tintin
"Clean, convenient with comfortable bed"
We had difficulty finding the place, as the sat nav kept sending us down bus only routes. Fortunately we had access to google maps. I had requested twin beds, but on arrival found a double bed. After contacting the owner, a single fold up bed was delivered quickly. There is no parking available close by, which was a disadvantage. Some information on where to park, when booking would be useful. The room was clean, nicely decorated and the bed comfortable, with a good shower. There was no air con, but a fan was provided. It was, however too noisy to leave on at night and the room was very hot. The breakfast was very good in the cafe below the building.
Other trip Jul 12, 2014
"City-centre bolt-hole"
"Hotel" is a bit of a misnomer - there is no reception as such after 15:00, when the cafe downstairs closes. Instead, you'll be sent an e-mail giving you the code to access your room key from a box. The room was small, but clean and with all the facilities you want, and the two ladies in the cafe very professional in providing breakfast for those staying as well as those coming in just to buy sandwiches etc. for work. So cost-effective and quite acceptable for that "need to stay somewhere decent" trip.
Other trip Jun 29, 2014
Nigel
"never again"
Not clean. Hair in bed. Coffee and sugar opened . Terrible
1 night business trip Jun 24, 2014
"never ever again"
Room is not clean. Hair in bedsheets. No toilet paper. Bathwasher and shampoo were open and used half already. Coffee and sugar open and use already. Ask for hair dryer but still not prepare. Only good location. Rest of that....never want it anymore
1 night business trip Jun 22, 2014
"Clean but noisy"
Nice clean room, small but had everything that was needed. The room became very hot as the night wore on to the point where I had to sleep on top of the bed clothes with the fan directed towards me. Also, the window to the room overlooked the back of a pub that was open until late and I was constantly woken by the bottle bin being loaded with empty bottles at regular intervals - and I normally sleep through anything, including thunder storms and even a hurricane in Florida once! Other than that, the room was clean, the service good and the breakfast was excellent.
1 night business trip Jun 19, 2014
Grunty
"Frequent customer."
My wife and I often use La Baguette overnight when travelling to Heathrow. The rooms are pretty small, but it's amazingly quiet.
Other trip Jun 10, 2014
Goudie
"My stay"
The baguette was ok Only a small room but clean and good for a night in transit
1 night trip Jun 6, 2014
"Near the station"
The hotel is clean has good email and location.
1 night business trip May 15, 2014
Excellent location near train station and city center. Not much service assistance. Hotel sold with breakfast, and you only find out when you get there that there is no breakfast on Sunday and bank holiday. Unfair and inconvenient for a B&B package. Prices listed at hotel entrance, is out dated .... Which doesn't help if you want to extend your stay only to find out it is 10 pounds more than you expected per nite.
2 night business trip May 3, 2014
Great location. Cafe staff super nice, as usual.
1 night business trip Apr 28, 2014
I've stayed many times in this B&B, but this time it wasn't as nice as the previous ones. Room 23 needs lots of maintenance: head of the bed was broken, the carpet was torn, the shower base was chipped and one of the towels was torn as well. It's a real shame because I loved everytime I stayed there. This time though, it was nice at all. It might just be that room, in that case, fix some of those things before booking people in. The breakfast staff (at the coffee place downstairs) was wonderful, as always.
1 night business trip Feb 27, 2014
"Inexpensive and convenient location"
Very good price, and central location in Reading make this a good choice. Includes full breakfast too
Other trip Feb 24, 2014
"You get what you pay for!!"
This is an honest budget hotel and if you need to be in the centre of Reading, it provides an ideal base. Room and bathroom are clean and although somewhat 'no frills', suited my needs.
1 night trip Feb 3, 2014
kEVIN
"La Baguette"
I stayed here for 5 nights in December, initially due to the price and location. I found this to be a very good B&B which couldn't be much more central in Reading. It's also excellently placed for anyone on a course at the nearby QA training facility - about 6 minutes walk.
5 night business trip Dec 1, 2013
"Very convenient for Reading Station"
A very quick overnight stay as I landed at Heathrow too late for the last train home and staying at Reading made more sense than overnight at Heathrow. Decor not great, but the room had everything that was needed and at only a couple of minutes from the RailAir bus terminal, it was perfectly located. Breakfast in the cafe was OK and as I was in a hurry they put my hot drink in a take-away cup that I could take to the train, which was good. It was ideal for the purpose, inexpensive, and I would be happy to stay there again on a similar trip.
Other trip Nov 24, 2013
R
"Small but comfy"
Day started badly with e-mail from La Baguette telling me they had double booked and my stay was cancelled, followed by another three minutes later telling me it was a mistake. Stayed in a single room, very small but comfy enough. As frequently reported about this hotel, the TV does not work. For the benefit of the owners, the mains cable has a break just where it enters the plug. Cut 2 inches off and fit a new plug and it will be fine! Plus features of this hotel are location, great breakfast and friendly staff in the cafe.
1 night business trip Oct 30, 2013
"we didnt have breakfast. everything was not good"
I never see terrible service like that. There was no one to talk to when we need help. The toilet was dirty. The phone wasnt answer when we are calling. welcoming wasnt good. No duvet cover. TV was not working.
Other trip Nov 1, 2013
"Cheap & cheerful"
Good location and nice breakfast; rooms not luxurious but ok; surrounding pubs a little noisy at the weekend
6 night trip Sep 30, 2013
Charles Dubois
Located very close to the train station made it easy to get to. My room was at the back and overlooked a very noisy bar/pub so sleeping was an issue. The cafe downstairs hadn't opened when I left (after 9:00am) so I didn't get a breakfast.But it was cheap!
1 night business trip Sep 27, 2013
"La baguette"
No one there to let me in bags left right behind front door. Had to book somewhere else still waiting on refund for an appalling choice to trust the site and think I could get a nice cheap bedsit
1 night trip Sep 25, 2013
Neal
"A tiny room in a great location!"
I was amazed at how they fit this room in the building, but when I went outside, everything I needed was right there.
1 night trip Sep 17, 2013
Brian Y
"Budget Stay"
Clean Room, close to shops/station, Breakfast good although did not expect to have it in adjoining shop/sandwich bar
Other trip Sep 16, 2013
david
"Highly Recommended"
For a cheap B&B, which is what I needed for 1 night, it was perfect. The staff were helpful when I contacted them and no problems with rooms keys or wifi code, It was all explained in an e-mail. Very good value for money and a comfy, clean highly recommended B&B! There was music I could hear but to be honest I expected it in the town Centre of Reading and had my ear plugs anyway!
Other trip Aug 17, 2013
Fran
"clean and comfy"
Would stay again
2 night trip Aug 2, 2013
Ronnie
I stayed for one night on a Saturday, it was value for money and very close to the station. But there was no breakfast, even thou it was part of a café. Because the cafe doesn't open on Sundays or bank holidays. However there are plenty of other cafes that are open for breakfast, including The Monk Head (Wetherspoon), which opens at 7am. The neighbourhood is rather noisy, but the double glazing soon sorts out that problem.
1 night trip Aug 3, 2013
"Good for overnight stay by Reading station"
Just stayed for 1 night due to proximity to Reading station. Arrived much later in the night than anticipated, but check in & check out were really easy. Room was clean & tidy, if a bit on the small side; en-suite was nice, new & clean. The only problem I had was that my window looked out onto a terrace next to a night club - I had to close the window due to noise & cigarette stench (on a hot summer's eve not exactly ideal). Might be worth asking for a room on the other side of the building.
1 night trip Jul 13, 2013
Fabulosa
"Convenient location for a good B&B"
The B&B experience was good and met my needs. The room was clean & comfortable and the breakfast was perfectly acceptable. Perhaps they should offer an equivalent of the full English but as a vegetarian option. I know they offered beans on toast or scrambled or fried egg on toast, but as a non meat eater, I quite like a breakfast consisting of (from)fried/poached/scrambled egg, beans, tomato, mushroom, with veggie sausage. I was quite happy with the choice available, but this is my suggestion. Otherwise, the experience was fine..
Other trip Jul 7, 2013