All hotels in Kingwood, West Virginia, United States of America

Room is not nice
    Dirty
    Uncomfortable
"Closed"
I could not check in. The place was closed. Locked. No lights. No one around.
1 night family trip Mar 13, 2016
Margaret
Quaint accommodations.
1 night romance trip Nov 14, 2015
Yolanda
Although the staff was friendly, the staff lacked efficiency. For example, I waited a long time at the check-in desk for someone to come by and see me standing there, and then waited longer for them to come back to check me in. I was also disappointed in the condition of the rooms, and the continental breakfast.
Other trip Oct 12, 2015
very clean room but very old, needs to be updated, will not stay again
2 night romance trip Oct 6, 2015
"awesome"
Very nice old place, well worth the money
1 night business trip Oct 6, 2015
"Terrible Overall"
Terrible! Dirt on heater, wallpaper was peeling off, mattress was so worn that it sunk in the middle. Owner said they were remodeling. Rooms should not be available in this condition. Worst place I've stayed. Should give us a refund. Felt like the room was a safety hazard. Sink was in bedroom, with light fixture above it. There was an old-fashioned pull-chain switch for the fixture, but it didn't work. In order to turn off light, we had to unscrew bulbs (5 or 6 light bulbs)! There was an extension cord and an electrical strip with several things plugged into them. There was no drinking water in room, and no ice bucket or instructions on how to get ice and water! We checked in late, and there was no information in the room with instructions about where the continental breakfast was. Assumed it was downstairs, so went downstairs. There was a hot breakfast being set up, but owner said the continental breakfast was upstairs, across from our room. Hot breakfast was for the Rotary Club. We found sign for the continental breakfast once we got back upstairs, but it was NOT in a conspicuous place. Coffee was set up in coffeemaker, ready to be made, but wasn't made yet. We couldn't wait for the coffee to be made, so just grabbed a few items to eat on the road. Found drinking water in that room, in a dispenser. It was almost empty, and it was not cold, even though it was on cold setting!
1 night romance trip Aug 24, 2015
Walls dirty, hinge missing on door to bathroom, very small room. AC worked but smelled musty.
Other trip Aug 9, 2015
Marc
"Fun in Kingwood"
We enjoyed our stay here a lot. The only down side was it was pretty warm in our room. The air conditioner unit didn't cool the room very much. However the owners were very friendly and we even got to watch the movie on the lawn that they have on Friday nights.
1 night family trip Jul 17, 2015
"Tired and Worn"
This is a restaurant with a hotel attached almost as an afterthought...all rooms are on the second (maybe higher). It's not a bad place to stay if you have to. The room we stayed in was worn. It had quaint furniture...almost antiques...and then a wine refrigerator inexpicably was stationed on the nightstand beside the bed (leveled out with a piece of 1x4...classy!). The sliding glass doors on the tub/shower would not close; missing/loosened laminate on the sink repaired with packing tape; neither the digital clock nor the cable remote worked. With that said, the room and bathroom were clean. Skip the "continental breakfast" (cold cereal, instant oatmeal packets, packaged Danish) and hit the coffee shop and small family restaurant on Price Street. The place was empty when we arrived and ran into the housekeeper who led me to the manager to check in...not sure I would've been able to find him on my own. The manager was uber-friendly and gave us a larger room on his own. Depending on your state of mind, this inn could be considered quirky (if you have low expectations) or a disaster (if you require crisp and new).
1 night romance trip Mar 23, 2015
"Bad example of a B and B!"
I arrived in the evening to a horrible parking area full of ruts and holes. I went in a door and had no idea where to go, so I had to just walk around. When I finally found my key at the front desk I went to my room. The walls were paper thin and people were talking loudly. I could hear a phone conversation in the next room, including the person on the phone! The carpet was filthy and had bugs crawling on it. When I pulled back the covers to the bed the blanket was stained and the sheets were gross with spots of black and stains. It was a horrible experience. I love B and Bs and this one was disgusting!
Other trip Nov 18, 2014
Rae
"Last room available with 20 miles of WVU football."
Cat on the roof was odd as we pulled in. Low battery on smoke alarm beeped all night. No bugs, but carpets were dirty. Direct TV had no signal during stay. I would not recommend this B&B, unless it is the last room available for a one night stay after a WVU football game.
Other trip Oct 20, 2014
"Nice town."
Kingwood is a lovely town. The location of Preston County Inn is beautiful. The hotel itself not so much. They used a lot of duct tape, curtains hanging part up, part down, cobwebs everywhere. Was not really clean. Now with the price of $79 per night, it was cheaper than closer to Morgantown, We would not return to this hotel
Other trip Oct 19, 2014
"Awful!!!"
The inn was very dirty, had a lot of mold in the bathrooms and the ceiling fans had an inch of dirt on them. Slept on the bed, not in the bed, because it did not look clean. There were cats, which I hate, in the inn and on the front porch. We were greeted at our door by a cat one morning. Breakfast was served in a very dirty kitchenette at the end of the hall. Did not eat. If you have an aversion to dirt, mold, rust, and cats do not book the inn. Hated it.
2 night trip Sep 19, 2014
Barb eckman
"Getting Some R & R"
The Preston County Inn is a quaint Inn located in a small town The new owner is in the process of remodeling the Inn a little at a time. More importantly, the owner is making the Inn part of the community. They are having more and more community events on the Inn's property. We got a good night's sleep. It was very quiet. The rooms are decorated with wallpaper, furnishings, bedding and curtains during the period of the early 1900's. The other rooms of the Inn are filled with beautiful antiques, pictures and memobilia. It will take a lot of work and time to bring the Inn up to the standard the owners wants it to be. We would stay there again. There is a new deck where you can sit outside and enjoy your dinner or a drink. The front porch has rocking chairs where you can sit and enjoy the view.
1 night trip Jun 3, 2014
Becky
"nice historical hotel-very nice outside"
friendly people- beautiful resterant-good food-nice in town location
Other trip May 27, 2014
reta
"Just what we needed"
We needed a place to stay relatively close to the football game we were going to. We found it in a nearby town. It is an older hotel, but has charm and character. Don't expect a great deal and you will be pleased. The staff is very friendly and helpful. It suited us just fine and we were happy we stayed there.
Other trip Oct 20, 2013
Joan
"Poor customer service"
I had to cancel my reservation, and every time I tried to call there was no answer so I was charged the full fee since I did not cancel in time. To this day they never did call back.
2 night trip Oct 11, 2013
Paul S
"Happy Honeymooning!"
My husband and I stayed at The Preston County Inn for the first part of our honeymoon. We loved it! The continental breakfast made it easy for us to wake at our leisure. The staff were very easy-going and went above and beyond what we would have expected. Our stay there was extremely enjoyable. Access to restaurants, a hospital, and many historical sites are only a few of the benefits of The Preston County Inn.
2 night romance trip Jul 25, 2013
Stephanie M.
"not far from Deep Creek"
Had a nice time, loved the antiquity and coziness of the place, town was shut down on Sunday but came to life nbext morning.. very quaint and nice..
1 night trip Jul 21, 2013
Willy
we did not stay the room was dirty would not recommend this to anyone
1 night trip May 25, 2013
"Nice old home, but felt like it was run by ghosts!"
Very disappointed there was no breakfast available, no one tending the bar and the entire time we were there we saw "staff" at the desk once. There was no opportunity to report a soaking wet carpet in our room due to a leak in the A/C until we checked out, to ask for more soap or an additional towel. When we checked in there was no one there-our keys were left on the desk with our name and this was 3pm on a Saturday afternoon, no one to orient us to hours of access to anything. The home itself is gorgeous, in need of some repair as any historic place would be. Room was spacious with 2 bathrooms, great water pressure, quiet, large TV, mini fridg, (no microwave) and A/C.
Other trip May 21, 2013
"Not happy!"
We were extremely disappointed in our accomodations.
Other trip May 20, 2013

The following English reviews were posted by hotel guests from other countries:

"Charming"
Great little place full of character and charm. If your in the area then this is the place to stay. Its a little old and certinly not one of your sterile chain hotels. The host look after you like your a family guest. Will definately stay here again if I get a chance for a return visit.
1 night trip Nov 9, 2014

The following reviews were posted by hotel guests from other countries:

"oud gezellig hotel"
Leek een oud sfeervol hotel,wel wat duur voor de prijs
1 night family trip Sep 5, 2014
fred
NL
"Kunne være et hyggeligt sted"
Stedet var meget hyggeligt, men standarden af vedligeholdelse meget mangelfuld. Vi mødte ingen personale, nøglen lå fremme og alt var høflig selvbetjening. Omgivelserne var gode og det kunne blive et godt sted med en mere kærlig hånd. Vi fik endog et bedre værelse end vi havde bestilt, og det var ok.
1 night family trip Oct 6, 2013
1 night trip Aug 13, 2013

TripAdvisor reviews for The Preston County Inn

"Needs updating"
03/29/16 Ingrid G
Love the old building,staff very friendly, food is good, but rooms are dirty and need a lot of updating, cant open windows, there duct taped location is perfect,a nice little town, love it in kingwood
"Great little place"
02/11/16 Larry J Salt Lake City, Utah
The rooms came at a great rate. We also ate there fairly often, and we thought that both breakfast and dinner were very good. Most of all, I liked the staff, because everyone I encountered was pleasant and unique.
"Historic Inn with Friendly and Accommodating Staff"
10/20/15 Vivian K Stillwater, Oklahoma
I really enjoyed my stay at the Preston County Inn. The staff that I met were very nice people. Anything I needed or any questions I had they took care of it. I have already recommended to some people who I knew were traveling around that area.
"Beyond bad!"
09/13/15 Sintita Michigan
I don't know where to begin about how shabby,dark, dirty and smelly this place is. It's one thing to be dated in decor but another to be dirty. Soap and elbow grease are cheap. From start to finish, front to back it was awful. As for the staff, forget it. Truly, I'd have preferred to sleep in my car. But I'll try to find something good in it--there was oodles of hot water for a shower and the WiFi connection in our room was stellar. I guess if you close your eyes and nose, you'll be OK. I think the owner has potential on his hands but is overlooking some obvious steps to make it even minimally acceptable.
"Could have been cleaner"
07/31/15 Honeysslave New York City, New York
This is a lovely OLD house with the public rooms furnished in period pieces but the bedrooms need updating. Very friendly staff which offsets the shortcomings of the rooms which are small. The bathrooms looks like those you would see at camp, although everything worked...except the air conditioning. The air conditioners are the portable type and did not cool the rooms. The windows in the rooms were duct-taped and dirty. The baseboards in the room were also dirty. The restaurant appeared to be spotlessly clean, as were the public rooms but the rest of the place is shoddy. OK if you are just sleeping there but I would not want to spend any time beyond that in the bedroom. Did have wi-fi and Dish TV, which is a plus. True, there are a couple of cats around but they are not in the building and I did not detect any cat odors at all. I would probably stay there again, the price is right, but not during very hot weather until they upgrade their A/C.
"nasty"
07/28/15 Laney1986 Richmond, Virginia
The Preston County Inn Pictures are very deceiving, place was very dirty, the smell of cat pee in the upstairs hall was very BAD. Outside deck could have been nice, but needed MUCH cleaning, rails were covered in mildew and needed to be washed, cat hair was all over all out door cushions to the point you did not want to sit. Rugs were very old and in need of cleaning or replacement. Rooms are very small and the AC units – let’s just say blew our minds. Pulled the covers back on the bed and my husband said NO, were leaving. Love going to B&B’s – but this should NOT be listed for folks to go to…. VERY nasty.
"Loved the restaurant, would recommend"
07/20/15 Kate D Huntington, West Virginia
The Inn has great historical qualities. The restaurant at the Inn was also very good, and we ate there quite a bit during our stay. I would recommend my friends to stay there if they were ever in Kingwood.
"Good atmosphere, Great food at Restaurant at Inn, would gladly return and stay again"
06/25/15 Kendra P Fairmont, West Virginia
I stayed at The Preston County Inn on a Monday through Thursday when I was there for business and had a very nice experience there. I really liked the atmosphere and found it warm and comfortable. The restaurant there was really good and I would gladly return there and stay again if I find myself in Kingwood again.
"Would like to see it work...."
05/26/15 doninwv Reedsville
OK so, I'll tell you up front that I'm rounding 'up' on my review because I'd like to see this historic and quaint inn survive, prosper and improve. I'll be honest, but 'positive'. I'm from a neighboring town but chose this Inn for a friend who was visiting. The stay (I stayed as well) was not all it could be, but as others have said, was not terrible either for the price and in consideration of the constraints of age of the building. The beds were old but clean, and comfortable enough. The floor heating\cooling unit with window ductwork was odd, but fairly new and worked well. Aesthetically, not great ....but I think the owners are trying to generate revenue and slowly but surely renovate and upgrade the entire building. Our room was a bit of a mismatch, and dated in some ways, but as long as it's clean (it was) there can be a bit of charm in that. The price was very decent, especially given that lodging choices are scarce in the area. I liked the open wraparound porch looking out on a nice lawn, enjoyed the floral landscaping, and loved the big ole butterscotch cat who acts as unofficial (or official?) mascot, greeting all who come and go. I know not about the dining experience, but have heard good comments. Overall this experience was not bad, and I would love to see The Inn survive and prosper. It feels like there is much more potential here, so let's help it thrive, and slowly but surely 'upgrade' and regain the glory of days gone by. .
"Historic Inn, quaint and hospitable"
05/22/15 Franklin B Fairmont, West Virginia
I enjoyed staying at The Preston County Inn in Kingwood. The rates were decent and although the rooms were smaller compared to other places, they clearly are working hard to improve things over time and we appreciated it.