All hotels in Santa Monica, California, United States of America
1301 Ocean Ave, Santa Monica, CA, 90401, United States of America, ‏‎800-491-6126

• Wellness
    Great wellness & sports facilities
  • Bar
    Bar is awesome
    Bad breakfast
  • Value
    Poor value for money
"A great hotel in a great location."
We had a great time at this hotel. Great rooftop bar that has an awesome happy hour. You can walk to the pier, or many wonderful restaurants, or to shopping in just a few minutes.
"Did not want to leave Hotel Shangri La!!"
I RARELY have a day off and even more rare a weekend off so when I do I plan a 'staycation'. I went to the Shangri La Hotel! This was my second time there and I recommend everyone to go and have a wonderful 'getaway' at this Hotel. The food is AMAZING, you can walk to shops and cafes, the Hotel STAFF are professional and really make you feel welcome and of course a room with a VIEW OF THE OCEAN is the best!!
3 night trip Nov 14, 2014
melonie
Stayed one night and had a wonderful experience. Staff is very nice and professional. Room had beautiful Ocean View - Very comfortable space and nice Art Deco interior design.
Other trip Oct 27, 2014
Overall nice place to stay my only complain is the room is tight especially with a child. Friendly staff and fast service
Other trip Sep 11, 2014
"Great location."
The room was comfortable and clean and the ocean view room up to expectations. The only thing that I did not like was that all the room lights were on one switch.
Other trip Jul 23, 2014
"Disappointing"
Old hotel, trying to be new. Bed too big for the room. Couldn't get the shower to work, like opening a safe. All they could tell me was talk to Expedia. That won't happen again. We live and learn.
Other trip Jun 30, 2014
"Great hotel!"
Awesome hotel, room was big and nice, especially loved the bathtub, good food and drinks too!! Great views and in a really good location!
3 night business trip Jun 11, 2014
The room was big however we missed a coffee maker and a small fridge and decoration was bad
2 night trip Jun 6, 2014
Diana
"Art Deco Interlude"
we wanted an art deco hotel and this was awesome. There were many original features in this lovely old hotel which we appreciated.
Other trip May 11, 2014
"Weekend Getaway"
Perfect location. Updated and stylish rooms. Excellent amenities.
Other trip May 5, 2014
Greg
"What a mess!"
Look elsewhere. I've stayed in many hotels and usually don't write reviews but this hotel (at the price we paid) made me change my mind. The elevator wasn't working, the bell hop was not very helpful at all. Our room was mediocre, at best. Just an overall nightmare. The Shangri-La across the street is a much better option.
1 night romance trip Mar 25, 2014
MK
It was so great I stayed an extra day!!!
3 night trip Mar 31, 2014
Ann
"Overnight in Santa Monica"
I wanted a nice hotel with an ocean view for an overnight in Santa Monica. The swimming pool is rather small there but then the hotel is old. Loved the deco details in the bar. The room was very clean, large and comfortable and it had a 180 degree ocean view and was bliss to wake up to. The hotel is just steps away from the buzz of Santa Monica so just perfect for our intended use.
1 night trip Mar 22, 2014
Brenda Kearney
I stayed here for a few nights on business and was very pleased with this hotel. The room was clean and comfortable, the rooftop lounge had nice cocktails and food with a sunset view, and the hotel staff quickly accommodated all of my requests. The location is great- on the beach and close to many restaurants and attractions. I would stay here again and hope to enjoy the outdoor pool and cabanas next time. I would definitely recommend this hotel to others!
3 night business trip Mar 11, 2014
K Lee
The staff and service could not have been better! Great location... I would highly recommend!
2 night trip Mar 11, 2014
Lesley
"Great location and Views"
The views of the beach were incredicible. The hotel was in a great area. We walked everywhere we wanted to go during out stay.
Other trip Mar 17, 2014
"Getaway."
Great location. Great staff. Old hotel, uncomfy bed I think for price of ocean front room we could have stayed at better condition hotel.
Other trip Mar 16, 2014
Manya
Great Location, Great customer service for the most part(one night at the main level bar, customers going up to the roof top bar not staying in the hotel seemed the be the top priority for the staff) Besides that, great staff, clean, nice décor, quick room service, and good food.
3 night romance trip Mar 5, 2014
"A little funky- but in the right spot"
So my hubby and I were looking to have a romantic getaway and booked a room here because of the good reviews. When we got there the very polite staff told us we had been upgraded to a suite- which sounded awesome!!!! When we got to our suite- I was a little baffled. Upon opening the door I saw 4 closed doors right in front of us- 1 on my left, 1 in front of me, and 2 directly to my right. Starting left to right- soor #1 was a bathroom, modern and nice with a shower. Door 2 was another bathroom, complete with an ENORMOUS tub and (get this) a window with a curtain that separated the bathroom from the bedroom (which was behind door number 3. I suppose this voyeuristic little touch was the highlight- as we invited a few friends up and thoroughly enjoyed one of us guiding them into the bedroom while the other fake-soaping exhibitionist threw open the curtains---- those reactions were priceless and good for many laughs. So what was behind door 4? Well- it was another bedroom- just like the first.... Which just seemed weird because that setup didn't really make us feel like we were being treated more special as a couple- and really it just presented a real dilemma about how to use both bedrooms and how to pick the right one to sleep in. Call me crazy- but the more options I have the more discombobulated I get.... So I would have preferred the simple room we had originally planned!! Anyway- the bar was real nice... And that's about all I have to say.
1 night business trip Feb 18, 2014
Tam
"Pricey and small but not the worst on the block..."
The room and bathroom were nice and clean, had no problem with checking-in. Asked for late checkout, and when my boyfriend and I returned to get our stuff, they had locked us out anyway. When we went to the desk to get our key cards activated again, the concierge didn't even verify we were who we said we were and just reactivated the keys. Guess next time I can do that and shop around other people's hotel rooms.... Overall, it was small, clean, pricey, and convenient for walking around Santa Monica. Not my favorite stay, but from the looks of the other hotels in the area we could have done a lot worse.
1 night trip with friends Feb 8, 2014
"Mistake"
The hotel is disappointing and way over-rated and over-priced. The front desk ( the front is literally just a desk) staff are petty and unhelpful. The room is poorly organized with old furnitures and rusted windows. Had to ask to re-supply shampoo and tissue on different days and was sent a clearly used tooth brush - really disgusting. PS: the hotel has no relationship with the classy Shangri-la Hotel in Asia, and it is no comparison.
Other trip Feb 5, 2014
Sean
"Could have been better for the price!"
Very pricy for a mediocre room. My apartment is bigger than these rooms. The partial ocean view is sticking your head out the window and looking to the left (WACK)... The only thing I enjoyed was the location. The pool area is nice too, however it was to xoldd for swimming.
Other trip Dec 28, 2013
Tee
The staff was very friendly. Loved the vibe of the hotel. Plan to return
Other trip Dec 17, 2013
kathy
"hotel shangri la"
I thoroughly enjoyed my stay. I would recommend it and stay agian.
1 night business trip Nov 27, 2013
"Excellent location"
Stayed at the hotel for one night. Room and overall quality was good, but location excellent.
1 night trip Nov 30, 2013
Dilip
"nightmare"
Worse overprice experience in my life the photos on line has nothing to do what the reality is too small no parking so you have to pay 35 extra and the good luck with the shower...
1 night trip Nov 21, 2013
wendy
"Excellent."
Great location! Good service and right choice of ocean view.
6 night trip Nov 15, 2013
John Liu
"Pier side hotel"
The overall experience was fine. The in room facilities were little bit old but not too old to stay. I was locked in the bathroom door due to the old lock. Other than this, the hotel was fine, with reasonable price comparing to the hotels near santa monica pier.
Other trip Oct 1, 2013
Marshon
"Across from the beach"
Lovely hotel in a great location right across the street from the beach. Pool area is nice and the PH bar is great for grabbing a drink at night. Staff were all really friendly and helpful. I would stay here again when visiting Santa Monica.
1 night trip Sep 28, 2013
corey
This hotel is in a great location with an incredible ocean view. Walking distance to lots of shopping, restaurants, pier and beach. Staff is super friendly and helpful.
Other trip Sep 26, 2013
"Great Location and Atmosphere"
If you want to experience the old Hollywood feel, this is the place for you. Contemporary,trendy interior but maintains its 1940's art deco feel. Great pool; very nice people...and the rooms are fantastic. My family and I come here every September after we attend our favorite college football game. Love the beach and strolling around the promenade. This will be our place for years to come.
2 night family trip Sep 21, 2013
Ryan
"Perfect Location and Great Staff"
We enjoyed our hotel stay the staff was friendly and very accommodating. We could walk out to just about anything. Everything you need is within walking distance. Parking was 35.00 a day but allowed in and out privileges.
4 night trip Sep 19, 2013
"Anniversary staycation"
Air conditioning was not comfortable and shower water temp was chilly. They had a friendly staff, yet no ice machine access.
Other trip Jul 24, 2013
Marc
"Very well done updates and excellent service!"
Has to have been one of the kindest, most attentive staff I have ever seen. Smiling, friendly, prompt, helpful... wow! The management of this hotel must be treating their employees very well and it showed from every single interaction we had. Bravo for the makeover to a historic property.
Other trip Jul 19, 2013
BZ
we enjoyed our stay, staff very helpful and friendly. location of the hotel is great, walking distance to the pier and third street promenade. Room was small but clean.
1 night trip Jul 6, 2013
"Nice hotel close to the beach"
Great location across the street from the beach. All rooms have an ocean view. Nice room layout with clean lines. Pool small but okay. Hot tub and pool were clean and appealing. Only thing that was a little off-putting was the noise level. There was a party in the courtyard by the pool that was a little noisy, but the DJ made an effort to keep the noise down by having the people who wanted to dance wear blue tooth headsets so that they could hear the music and still keep the volume down. Nice view from the rooftop bar but a little claustrophobic inside the bar. Obviously a hotel that is aimed toward the singles crowd. If you're looking for a quiet hotel in which to kick back and relax, this would not be the hotel for you.
Other trip Jul 15, 2013
Debbie
"Great trip with kids"
Great weekend with my daughters, 15 & 11. They upgraded us to a suite with a kitchen. Rooms had plenty of room, and location was amazing. The beach was across the street, shops only a block away and easy access to the freeway.
2 night family trip Jun 24, 2013
Shay
"Swanky"
Great location, super swanky, but hotel rooms were extremely small. Bathroom door did not shut so no privacy was found there. Overall, a nice place
1 night trip Jun 21, 2013
"Beachfront Chic"
Even though you can tell this building is old they did a remarkable job with the bathrooms!
Other trip Jun 24, 2013
Andy
"Hotel has old hollywood charm"
Great place to spend Mother's Day weekend with your adult children!! Would love to return for an extended stay!!!! Ambience leaves you feeling like you're on a cruise ship!!
Other trip May 18, 2013
DD
Our stay at thr Shangila was wonderful!the room was very large and a surprise of 2 bathrooms. The staff was friendly and helpful. Would highly reccomemd it.
3 night trip with friends Apr 23, 2013
"Great Place!"
Stayed here with some friends to celebrate my sister's bachelorette party. It was a really nice place, we loved how it was walking distance to all of the shops/restaurants on third street! The staff was very helpful, they were easy going about a later checkout time. I booked a one bedroom suite, but was upgraded upon arrival to a 2 bedroom suite which was AWESOME!! The view from the room was beautiful, but the furniture was a little outdated. However, the beds were all super cozy. I slept on the pull out sofa and it was very comfortable, surprisingly! We did not utilize the pool because the weather didn't permit, it was freezing cold (we went mid-April). But the pool area was very nice as well. Overall, I would stay again and recommend to others. ;)
1 night trip with friends Apr 13, 2013
"Wonderful"
Wonderful
Romance trip Apr 18, 2013
Wonderful
"Not bad, not great. Clean and friendly."
The Shangri La is well located, clean and has a friendly staff. Our king room was tiny and our bed was a bit soft for our taste. Overall experience was: satisfactory.
Other trip Apr 2, 2013
Very good but wish they had the coffee makers in the room found in less expensive hotels but sadly not in the expensive. Nice to have a small, boutique like hotel with Deco like decorations, combination of old design and new.
3 night trip Mar 15, 2013
"Great location, great service"
The Hotel was very clean, had nice decor, and was in a great location. We had breakfast in the restaurant and it was really good.
2 night trip with friends Feb 23, 2013
We had a wonderful time.....great staff at all areas of the hotel.
Other trip Mar 2, 2013
"Great little beach hotel."
I loved this little hotel. So chic and what a view my room had! Superb! The only improvement I think they could make is the front desk staff. The ladies look too casual (they wear street clothes) and I found their demeanor, while not rude, just not upbeat or that pleasant. Otherwise, my stay was very pleasant.
Other trip Feb 28, 2013
ruby
"Nice style but ..."
The hotel has style. The deco interior is well done. I can't recommend it due to the fact that the roof top bar is incredibly loud and obnoxious on the weekend. Was impossible to fall asleep until after 2am.
Other trip Feb 25, 2013
Only negative is that our pay per view movies weren't working. Apparently they weren't working for the entire hotel. Other than that, it was a perfect stay.
1 night romance trip Feb 14, 2013