All hotels in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States of America
1234 Locust Street, Philadelphia, PA, 19107, United States of America, ‏‎800-491-6126

"Little gem in noisy part of town!"
Overall the hotel was very nice and had unexpected perks (breakfast delivered to the room by very friendly staff!) The major down side was the lack of a curtain to block out the street lights and better sound insulation to drown out the INCREDIBLY NOISY street action that lasted well past 3am.
1 night business trip Oct 29, 2014
Maziar
Very nice downtown hotel. Close to everything. Definitely worth every penny. Nice over night weekend getaway.
Other trip Oct 28, 2014
Blair
Nice hotel. Very nice room and staff was friendly and very accommodating
Other trip Oct 26, 2014
frequent travel
"Beautiful hotel in a great location"
This place is beautiful and the room and bathroom are both very spacious. The room was a little dim, however, and the windows could have better sound proofing. I could hear all the cars and pedestrians passing and it was a little hard to fall asleep. It is close to many points of interest and a minute's walk from several forms of public transportation. Breakfast is delivered to your door and you can have it packed to go. The staff is super nice. The man who checked me out walked me to all the way down into the subway station to make sure I knew which way I was going. Overall I enjoyed my stay and would recommend this hotel to anyone.
Other trip Oct 25, 2014
Hotel was great only problem was room was noisy with street noise. They offered earplugs in the room but I didnt use them.
1 night romance trip Oct 4, 2014
Matthew
"Convenient Location"
What a great find! Walkable distance to all the sites, great restaurants and bars! Look forward to checking out their other locations! Quiet stay with wonderful amenities.
Other trip Oct 10, 2014
Sassy
"Accepted but didn't accommodate our reservation"
I'm not able to provide a review because the day of check-in I received an alert that there was a problem with our reservation. The Independent was unable to accommodate us. Odd, considering we'd received reservation confirmation. Thankfully Hotels.com helped find different accommodations for us. So, what's the Independent like? I have no idea.
2 night trip Sep 23, 2014
Pamela
"Two thumbs up"
I loved everything about the hotel. Staff is great, room is cozy and huge. I felt like I was at home. I will only stay here from now on. And not to mention $20 parking! I'm sold!!!
Other trip Sep 29, 2014
Great staff, great location, great town.
2 night family trip Sep 20, 2014
The room was big and comfortable and the staff super friendly and helpful. I'd definitely stay there again!
Other trip Sep 19, 2014
"Tucked away treasure"
wonderful accommodations, friendly, helpful staff, very European boutique feel and close to everything...
Other trip Sep 13, 2014
"Boutique hotel with lots of charm"
This boutique hotel was a hidden gem. Rooms were fantastic and daily breakfast delivery was a warm touch. Next door to an amazing little italian restaurant. Location was perfect!
Other trip Sep 12, 2014
It's a cute boutique hotel. Our bathroom was a little rundown (hole in shower enclosure, shower head pipe loose, etc.) but overall nice. Location was extremely convenient for night-life and theatre district. My advice - get a room high up. We were on the second floor and they provide ear plugs in the room due to the noisy bar crowd that wanders the neighborhood. We didn't get back to the room until close to 2am and were still kept up by the crowds.
1 night romance trip Aug 15, 2014
"Great locTion, terrific staff"
We appreciated the great location. Our first time in Philadelphia and we felt that we were able to do all in just a few days, mainly because of the great location and knowledgeable staff. The hotel is unique, and the staff couldn't be better. If Dan is working during your stay, you will feel like you have your own concierge. He is knowledgeable of all the area has to offer and so willing to make your stay the best it can be. Highly, highly recommend.
Other trip Aug 8, 2014
mary
"Very nice boutique hotel close to downtown"
We spent three nights here and enjoyed ourselves. Staff very pleasant and helpful. Easy access to historic sites we visited. walking distance to subway and Philly Phlash stop. Complimentary breakfast choices for room were nice and fresh daily.
Other trip Jul 15, 2014
"Enjoy Philadelphia"
Nice boutique hotel. Wonderful Italian restaurant next door and an excellent Indian restaurant a half a block away. Very convenient location, within a mile or two walk of everything we want to experience--from the Franklin Institute museum to famous South Street.
2 night trip Jul 10, 2014
"Loved it"
After reading reviews of other area hotels I was contemplating canceling my overnight stay in the city. Then I found this hotel. The price was very affordable and the reviews were almost all positive. My stay here was short but it was without any complaints. The room was beautiful with high ceilings and laminated hardwood floors. It was very clean! The bed and linens were very comfortable. I would recommend this hotel to everyone! A+
1 night trip Jul 2, 2014
Michelle M
Was very nice love it . Our four time there right in heart of city.
Jay
It was nice, stuff was helpful, close to many restaurants and shops, free basic breakfast at room, but loads of options down the street.
Other trip Jul 2, 2014
pranab
"hidden gem"
Lovely, accommodating staff; comfortable room; wireless is free and worked well. Minor maintenance issues but the staff was very responsive when I pointed them out.
1 night business trip Jun 26, 2014
The hotel staff were friendly. The check in and check out was very easy. The complimentary breakfast was great! And the location to shopping areas was just right. The room was clean and comfortable. The only recommendation would be to have central air conditioning. The weekend I stayed at the inn, it rained and the sound of the rain hitting the air conditioner unit kept me up. But I would still stay at this hotel again!
Other trip Jun 21, 2014
"FAB FAB FAB...."
I couldn't have asked for a better experience... Only thing I could suggest is having the ice on each floor and someone check their water pressure because it kept going UP then DOWN....
1 night trip with friends Jun 12, 2014
Devinephilly
"Lovely, but missing a few comforts"
We were impressed with interior of this remodeled old building. Our room and the bath were very nice. Our room felt like a guest room in someone's home. However, the lighting in the room did not allow for us to read in bed or elsewhere in the room. There were no comfortable chairs in which to relax. Breakfast is brought to your room. However, there was no table at which to comfortably sit and eat. Breakfast is not hot and may disappoint someone who wants more substantial food. At night people out in the street were loud.
Other trip May 26, 2014
Bea
"Great location - short walk to convention center"
Breakfast basket was great. Excellent restaurant choices near hotel. Very cute boutique hotel with great staff.
Other trip May 1, 2014
Jörg und Mery
"Lovely Boutique Hotel"
A wonderful boutique hotel with high ceilings - I stayed on the fifth floor - and convenient parking. Staff is very nice and the weeknight complimentary wine and cheese receptions are fun! Regarding the noise level that other people commented on, I stayed there for two nights and slept fine. I will definitely be back!
Other trip Apr 10, 2014
Cyndi
"Wonderful experience!"
The Independent is a lovely hotel in a great location! We stayed for one night and wished it could have been longer. This is a small, 24-room boutique hotel and it was perfect. Great location, close to the Academy of Music where we had show tickets. Extremely professional and friendly staff who were attentive and happy to accommodate. Much preferred this hotel to a larger "chain"-type hotel. We will definitely stay here on our next trip to Philly.
Other trip Apr 10, 2014
Shelley
"Amazing hotel in amazing area"
Great hotel with a very friendly and helpful staff. Room includes a delivered breakfast and access to a great neighborhood gym. The area is amazing with restaurants and shops. Easy access to transportation to the rest of the city.
2 night trip Mar 17, 2014
"Couple going to Philly, come here."
Just stayed for a quick night out. Great place, reasonable rate, right location and close to many great shops and places to eat.
Other trip Mar 7, 2014
ohio couple
"Friendly Staff! Comfortable"
I accidentally left my wallet at the check-in desk and the front desk called right away and brought it to me!! This hotel is in a good area and was only $20-25 cab ride to Wells Fargo Center, where we went to go see a concert. Would recommend!!
Other trip Mar 3, 2014
Troy
"Favorite hotel in Philadelphia"
My wife and I often come in to Philadelphia for concerts, operas, art museums, etc.The Independent is in an excellent location, just a block or two from the theaters and restaurants we go to most often. The staff members are uniformly friendly and helpful, and the price is often very reasonable. The rooms are clean, spacious, and well appointed, and the continental breakfast delivered to your door every morning is an adequate start for the day.
1 night trip Jan 30, 2014
Barry
"Staying here for 2nd time"
We really love this hotel. It is small, nicely kept and in a perfect location to walk to most places in Philly downtown. It has modern updates to a fantastic old building and is very comfortable. We will stay here again on our next trip back to Philly.
1 night trip Jan 30, 2014
kathleen hunt
"Great place, but not if you're a light sleeper."
When earplugs are left at your nightstand, you know you've got a loud night ahead. We were in town for a 40th birthday and the room/hotel was very nice. Walls are paper thin, so heard the elevator all night. We didn't get to sleep until 3am, but I had I gone to bed earlier I'm sure I would have been upset with the rave across the street and probably used the earplugs...
Other trip Jan 13, 2014
Jen
"Good location, rooms and helpful staff"
Room was clean and pleasant with microwave and fridge. AM breakfast was a nice touch - good hotel.
Other trip Jan 13, 2014
R
"FANTASTIC"
Everything about this hotel was wonderful! It had a perfect location, it was charming, personal, and well decorated. We really enjoyed the personalized breakfast in bed and wine and cheese our in the evening. Dan in reception was very friendly and extremely helpful! We had a lovely stay and would 100% recommend The Independent to anyone traveling to Philadelphia. Sanne & Antonio
Other trip Jan 5, 2014
Sanne &Antonio
"Average"
On the positve side, the staff was professional and cordial and the continental breakfast being delivered to your room is very nice. The room itself was rather drab. Boring wall color and old fashioned drapes. The bathroom was ok but could use an update. The biggest issue was the music from the restaurant below. I was on the second floor and the music played loudly until midnight. I'd suggest asking for a room on a higher floor.
3 night trip Dec 20, 2013
"Pleasing Stay"
Overall, the experience was good with very friendly helpful hotel employees. The street noise can be problematic, ear plugs are provided but we had a problem with the mirror lights in the bathroom and the key becoming inoperable at times.
Other trip Dec 26, 2013
"Very friendly staff"
My wife and I were in town to see Pink in concert at the Wacovia Center. I really didn't want to stay at a chain hotel and found the Independent Hotel on the internet. The Independent was great, front desk staff members Eric and Dan were very helpful with directions and dinner reservations. Shopping and city transportation nearby. 15 minute walk to the Italian Market, great cheese steak sandwiches at Gino's and oh ya ... The concert was unbelievable...
2 night trip Dec 5, 2013
Rick Forte
"The perfect place to stay"
If you want location, friendly and quality service and amenities, then this is the place for you.
1 night trip Dec 2, 2013
Hotel wasn't bad for the price but DON'T stay in the STREET SIDE rooms as the noise from outside is HORRENDOUS. With the older structure and windows I felt like I was sleeping in the street and got no sleep at all. We switched to an interior room after the first night and it was fine. I wish I had seen this online.
Other trip Dec 3, 2013
"Romantic getaway"
We stayed in hotel just one night. Hotel staff was friendly and very helpful. The room was just a pictured, very clean. This just might become our yearly anniversary getaway.
Other trip Nov 25, 2013
T & L
"Great Boutique Hotel"
Great rate for a nice room central to many things in Philly. The staff was super friendly, and rate includes internet, free breakfast delivered to the room, and wine/cheese reception. Highly recommended.
2 night business trip Nov 13, 2013
"Great stay, wonderful staff"
We stayed at the Independent with some friends from Italy who had never seen Philadelphia. The hotel's location was ideal and the accommodations were excellent. It's an old building that's been completely redone -- tastefully. The rooms were very clean, welcoming, and quiet. The staff was very helpful and welcoming. We would definitely stay again.
Other trip Nov 7, 2013
"Good experience"
We were a couple spending a weekend in Philly. The hotel definitely met our needs. Location: Excellent - served very well as a base for exploring the city. Staff: Excellent - all of the staff we met were extremely welcoming, accommodating and friendly. Room: Adequate to Good - comfortable bed, nice writing desk, high ceilings, large bathroom with an excellent shower (double shower head). The biggest disadvantage of the room was that there was little natural light and no view at all. Also a few odd touches - painted a slightly odd color, strange ceiling tiles, very loud fan in the bathroom. Not quite the level of luxury that the marketing suggests, but cute enough. Extra Amenities: Lovely to have customized breakfast (inclusive in price) delivered to the room. The breakfast itself was average, though. The bathroom toiletries and towels were very good. The radio/iPod dock didn't work, which was a shame as we wanted to play some music at one point. It also turned out to be displaying the wrong time, which we realized too late, causing us to oversleep by an hour. Fortunately the very accommodating staff were happy to give us a late checkout after we overslept. Other: Gym passes were included, though we didn't make use of them. We were a little disappointed that the 'weekday' wine and cheese reception doesn't include Fridays. When the TV/music were on in the lobby we could hear them in our room, which was a bit annoying, but they were turned off at night.
Other trip Nov 3, 2013
Alex
"Good location, reasonable price"
The hotel is located in a good central area between Rittenhouse Square and the historical district. It occupies of the 2nd through 5th floors of an older renovated building located directly above one of the subway lines. With the subway and the active nightlife you will definitely find it impossible to escape the noise of the city - if such things bother you, choose a different location or a hotel with sufficient height to get you farther from the street. Hotel staff was pleasant and knowledgeable. Parking at this hotel is a very good deal (for Philadelphia) and is within a half block's walk. The area within a few block radius has many good restaurants and bars. Rooms have personality - a pleasant change from a cookie cutter hotel.
Other trip Oct 30, 2013
"Boutique Hotel"
This hotel defines itself as a "boutique hotel" - It is located in a remodeled printing factory building in an older neighborhood that is not really designed for this hotel use. Initial unloading of baggage is inconvenient and, even thou ample parking is available, it is not convenient to the hotel. You have to take an elevator to get to the lobby from the street entrance. With all of that being said, we enjoyed our stay here, the staff was friendly, the continental breakfast delivered to our door was a nice touch and the room itself was uniquely comfortable and definitely not standardized like you would find in a regular hotel. The location was a little off the beaten trail but there were a lot of interesting historic sites and other things to do within a 15 - 20 minute walk.
Other trip Oct 21, 2013
Marty
"Great location, friendly staff"
Complementary wi-fi and breakfast
2 night trip with friends Sep 10, 2013
"Wonderful..help was extrodordinarily helpful"
The friendly climate and assistance in all aspects
Other trip Aug 18, 2013
ken
"Great room. Some small maintenance issues."
The staff was wonderful and accommodating. There were some issues with the coffee maker not functioning, but there was coffee available in the main lobby. The room was spacious and comfortable.
1 night trip Aug 8, 2013
Staff was pleasant and helpful. Many nice touches including wine and light breakfast delivered to room. We were staying for doctor visit and was very convenient. Only one suggestion we would make, accessible room furniture should be rearranged bath good but unable to pass bed with wheelchair. Thank u for very pleasant stay.
Response by The Independent Hotel
Hello, We are very pleased to hear you had a nice stay with us, and that you enjoyed our wine and cheese reception as well as the continental breakfast delivered to your room. However, we are sorry to hear about the inconvenience you had in our handicapped-accessible room. We appreciate the helpful feedback, and we will look into re-arranging the furniture to resolve that issue. Thanks so much, and we look forward to seeing you again!
1 night trip Jul 8, 2013
"Nice place to be in city center"
This hotel was very nice, it is far from the Italian Market, but if you want to go there take a cab and stay at this hotel. On the other hand if you want to go to old Philadelphia this is the place for you if you also like to walk.... My wife loved the shower.
Other trip Jul 8, 2013