All hotels in Shanghai, China

Service is poor
    Uncomfortable
    Bad internet service
"The worse experience."
I could not stay there, because I didn't have access to internet in the room . There was not dining set at my suit.
2 night business trip Oct 3, 2013
"So so hotel"
Room space small, the view was not relevant, fairly clean, location ok, service low they had no interest in being more attentive.
Other trip Oct 7, 2013
Gabe
"A good Hotel , A good deal"
Nice big lobby. Staffs at front desk serve very efficiently. Rooms are comfortable and clean with good size. Very spacious balcony where you can dry washes. Convenient to access to many restaurants. Subway station is not too far but a good walk due to very wide intersection and overhead path, a bit confusion as well.Anyhow it is a good place to stay and very affordable.
Other trip Oct 7, 2013
Shouping
It was a comfortable stay except for the guests leaving at 5am and arguing at top of voices and then the phone ringing 3 times and no answer at the same time of thr morning.
3 night trip Sep 19, 2013
"Will not come back again"
I called the hotel asked if there is self-served washing machine before I booked it, The guy said yes, but when I got there, they told me NO. And nobody can tell me who picked call. They took long time find my booking and looks like disappointed when find out I stay only for one night. Internet was not free and need to pay extra. I stock luggage there for few days but needs to pay each day 10 RMB. This is the only place that asks pay for stocking luggage. I will never come back again. They are looking for Money for every thing.
1 night trip Sep 17, 2013
"Good value for your money"
Breakfast was a joke for 30 RMB, but 50 meters from the hotel at Pizza Hut was a nice breakfast for 20 RMB. The wifi at the hotels Cafe lobby wasn't working most of the time and the stuff at the coffee place at the hotel did not care about the wifi or any other issues, I assume that they are outside operators and do not really belong to the hotel, neither did they understand any English . Beside this issue all was fine. Great location.
5 night business trip Sep 6, 2013
None of the two rooms i booked were smoking free. One of the rooms smelled like sewage. The repair crew was called in but said could not fix the problem. The hotel did offer two other apartments but both smelled equally bad or worse. I eventually figured out the smell came from the open pipe for a washing machine in the kitchen. The hotel removed the washing machine but left the pipe open.
1 night trip Aug 1, 2013
MN
"Close to the Metro"
On a positive note this hotel is close to the Metro and there is a convenient store next door where you can buy bottled water. On a negative note, this hotel was the worse hotel I stayed at in during my trip to China. They have a sewer drainage problem that releases a bad odor problem in the bathroom and you have to close the door at night or you will smell it in the bedroom area. I stayed in a suite and the furniture was pretty worn out and the wallpaper was coming off the walls. It is a shame that the hotel is not kept up since Shanghai is such a marvelous place to visit. I usually to do not bother writing reviews but for me to sit here and write one, I felt it important enough to let any interested hotel guest know what they would be facing at their arrival. Also, the reception and concierge staff were rude and not very helpful.
Other trip Jul 31, 2013
Alma
"Reasonable hotel close to subway"
We stayed here for three nights in July 2013. We liked it because it was close to a subway stop and all of the major Shanghai attractions were easily accessible via the metro. If you travel to the hotel by subway from the train station or airport, travel lightly because the subway is crowded and getting a lot of baggage off and on the metro will be a problem. A single carry on and a backpack would not be a problem. The hotel staff had some English language skills and were generally helpful. We did not eat the breakfast because it seemed over-priced at about $15 per person. Instead, we ate at a couple different noodle shops that were good and within a block of the hotel. There is also a 24 hour KFC, a McDonalds and a 24 hour convenience store within a block of the hotel.
Other trip Jul 27, 2013
"HOTEL ?"
PARKING NO GUIEDENCE . THEY HAVE FEW BUILDINGS AND COMMON PARKING FOR ALL. RECEPTION LOOK LIKE 2 STAR HOTEL , STAFF CANT UNDERSTAND SIMPLE ENGLISH. ROOM TOO SMALL .
Other trip Jul 25, 2013
VIKI
"Rayfront Hotel, Shanghai, China"
The hotel is downtown and an easy place to leave for sightseeing. There is a mall located within 5 minutes with many food courts including some Western restaurants. We declined to eat in the hotel. We did not feel that those facilities would meet western standards. However there were many restaurants here the hotel. The service was good. Laundry service great! And the staff tried to help in every situation although English speakers are limited. I would stay here again if visiting the Shanghai area.
Other trip Jul 24, 2013
Marion
"Great value in a good location"
The Rayfont is an amazing value in a city with high cost real estate. I stayed in one of the Deluxe Business Suites (really a 1 bed apartment) on the 22nd floor for 9 days starting July 5th through Expedia. Much better than a hotel room at the Hilton or Marriott at a fraction of the cost. It was located in the building 2 next to the hotel. The apartment was quite nice and well furnished. It was 900 square feet with a small kitchen, dining area, living room, large bath, large bedroom, and a balcony. The kitchen had small refrigerator, coffee maker, stove, washer / dryer combination, and sink (but no microwave). Oddly, there were no plates, bowls, pots, pans or utensils. These could be rented for about $20 I was told. Otherwise it was a well equipped kitchen. The washer and dryer combination was difficult to use since everything was in Chinese but a staff member advised me on what settings to use. The AC worked well in my unit and could freeze me out when it was 97 degrees outside. There is also free parking in case you have friends visit with a car. The pool and gym is about 1/4 mile away at a sister hotel. Altogether the Rayfont complex is 2 hotels and about 14 residential buildings of about 38 stories . It was also odd the balcony had no chairs but I took a couple of chairs out from the dinning room which worked nicely. There is no working wifi but I hooked up my laptop with DSL using a cable which worked fine. I paid the extra $6 a day (max) to have internet access.
Other trip Jul 17, 2013
Ed
"Dreadful"
Dreadful customer service. The front of house staff will have you thinking of returning to the airport almost immediately. Front of house staff are lazy, unkempt, and will not help you with anything. They laughed at me when I came downstairs at midnight looking for painkillers after being very sick, and spend most their shifts on their phones with their feet on the desk, or ignoring the endless queue of people who are waiting to be assisted. The "Suite" I booked was never cleaned properly, the sofas and floors thick with black hair, and the shower curtain had half a foot of brown mould growing up it. The kitchen doesn't stock a kettle, silverware, plates, or anything to eat or drink out of. The bed mattress is rock hard, the curtains don't close properly and the sheets are not changed despite being requested daily. The bathroom is old, the fixtures leak, are dirty, and no shampoos or soaps were provided despite a 9 night stay. The managers are lazy and slow, and the only good thing about this hotel is the concierge who would translate you intended destinations into Mandarin. The door staff do not help with taxis, nor do they speak any English.
Other trip Jun 27, 2013
"convenience"
Satisfied.
6 night trip May 18, 2013

The following English reviews were posted by hotel guests from other countries:

"Good hotel in good location"
Good location, close to transport, room was comfortable
2 night trip Apr 2, 2016
rong qing
"Great location, great rates"
Great room at a very affordable rate, considering its location. The area is also filled with restaurants and shops to add to its convenience. The rooms are not big by any stretch of the imagination, but I could still manage all my 3 weeks of luggage around.
3 night trip Feb 17, 2016
Xiang
"Not 4 star but great for the price"
Overall I enjoyed my stay. I especially liked the room size. However, on checkout the staff was ticked off when I had trouble locating the initial deposit slip.
3 night romance trip Feb 20, 2016
"Fair"
According to the details on Hotel.com there should be fitness room and swimming pool in this hotel, but I had verified that no such facilities were provided in my stay. The overall quality is fair. I like the room and found it comfortable, though.
3 night trip Jan 9, 2016
"Good location, good price."
Good for a short stay,if your re out and about most of the time, rooms are alright. Great location. Train stations close, and a shopping mall close by. Close to alot of the main attractions. Front desk staff could be nicer.
4 night romance trip Dec 25, 2015
Iris
"it was fair."
It works as a cheap place to stay. The rate on hotels.com was pretty low for Shanghai, but it didn't include breakfast -- a mild bummer. The combination heating/AC unit in our room wasn't working, which took a while to figure out, but once that was conveyed to management, they were quick to troubleshoot and then offer a new room. Housecleaning basically only made the bed, nothing else, which didn't bother us, but seemed odd. Beware the taxi hustlers outside, it's better to try your hand at flagging one driving by. These guys consistently bugged us, and asked for 80RMB for what should be a ~20RMB ride. Even better, cross the busy intersection and hop on the metro. SML Center and the street behind it are pretty cool for shopping.
4 night business trip Nov 11, 2015
"Aging hotel in a good location"
The decorations and furniture are aging. The cleaner could definitely do a better job. However, the location is good and price is reasonable.
12 night family trip Oct 30, 2015
Min
"Pang"
It's a nice hotel for the price
3 night business trip Oct 23, 2015
Nga I wa
Hotel staff not overly helpful. Room pretty good condition in a convenient location.
2 night romance trip Oct 23, 2015
Natasha
• very high priced for the quality & service offered
1 night business trip Oct 14, 2015
Robin
SG
"1 star hostel"
It's not a hotel it's a hostel(1 star)
2 night business trip Sep 21, 2015
Atheer
"Hotel room with a view"
Stayed 2 nights here after my tour ended to meet up with friends. Room is small but clean. Request for a high floor room to get an amazing view of the city. Wifi does not work at all at the hotel.
Other trip Sep 21, 2015
Ivy
MY
"really bad hotel"
Do not go. It's really dirty especially the toilet. If you're looking for a same price hotel go to the Donghu Hotel in Donghu road
5 night business trip Sep 8, 2015
Lorenzo
"Clean and pretty new."
A decent hotel in a pretty central part of town. Rooms were clean and modern, bed was comfy. Lobby is smallish, and shared with a few other businesses including a nice cafe.
1 night business trip Aug 30, 2015
"A convenient and functional hotel"
It meets most of our requirements without much fuss, though the hotel will not make much effort to provide what is seen as additional help. We booked the two rooms (a business suite and a twin room). We phoned and wrote to the hotel two months before our stay, asking to have the rooms nearby. On our arrival, the reception desk still saw an arrangement with two rooms in two different buildings. One receptionist was helpful while another was dismissive. The helpful one managed to locate two rooms on the same floor. She first discovered a possibility of having two rooms next to each other, but the dismissive one claimed that one of these rooms was being used for storage. We late found this was untrue. Nevertheless, having two rooms on different sides of the lifts is much better than having them in different buildings. Apart from this room issue, we are happy with all other aspects of our stay.
Other trip Aug 29, 2015
"OVERVIEW."
Accommodation very comfortable English channels on the T.V including CNN for news in English, very good location staff helpful and friendly would stay again in the future.
4 night romance trip Aug 10, 2015
Roy A.
"Business trip"
Nice to stay and near train station.
3 night business trip Jul 27, 2015
anisa
"Power Shower"
Swimming pool advertised to look like it's in the building but it's in the middle of a residential area. Room a little grubby but shower was incredible! Really good location to metro and French Concession area and about 20 minutes from The Bund.
1 night romance trip Jul 21, 2015
"Terrible stay"
Upon arrival I waited 25 minutes to check in. The receptionist then stated I didn't have a reservation - despite me showing him the email confirmation from Expedia. Eventually! After much debate get agreed to give me a room - although it took further argument to get a suite which I had paid for. The room was in a different building - there are several and the receptionist didn't state this or advise how to find the building or room. The room was unclean. Wallpaper peeling off the wall, carpets dirty and fungus in the bathroom. Worst hotel I've ever stayed in!!! Location is close to the subway / metro and from there a quick and cheap journey into a Shanghai.
Other trip Jul 13, 2015
"Turtles service"
No free wireless wifi
2 night business trip Mar 30, 2015
HON SING
"Short Business trip stay"
Hotel location is good, is more like a service apartment than hotel, front desk staff are always busy. Price is reasonable for the location to move around town.
2 night business trip Jun 16, 2015
KokPing
"Better than expectations!"
We chose the Rayfont on price, in spite of a number of derogatory reviews. The hotel is a large, multi-storey complex which, I imagine, was built in the 1980s, and has had little if any refurbishment since then. So, in places, it appears tired and delapidated. But our room was large and comfortable, with a separate kitchen, and was satisfactorily serviced each day. The hotel is handy to the Metro. Our only gripe would be with Hotel Reception which is extremely busy, and grossly understaffed, making checking in and out a potentially lengthy and fraught operation. Having said that, we arrived at 8.30am, having made no arrangement for an early check-in, and reception staff were able to arrange for us to have our room by 10.45am.
Other trip Jun 18, 2015
"OK hotel Shanghai"
I have stayed several times in the hotel and it is well positioned to access metro and there are plenty of dining options near by. However, the rooms are looking a little tired and in need of some refreshing. The hotel staff were not very helpful when I arrived as they could not find my booking, I do not speak Chinese and their English was not very good.
1 night business trip May 25, 2015
Clean, comfortable and convenient. Room service everyday.
Other trip May 25, 2015
"Location is great (that's about it)"
I usually stay there in SHA due to location. The hotel is not a nice hotel. It is fine for staying a couple of days on biz trip, but would not stay there with my wife. But it is in a great neighbourhood, as it borders the French Concession, a great location for foreigners. Plus, where else can you get great location at such low prices?
2 night business trip Mar 24, 2015
"Good value but limited customer service"
I stayed here for 8 days. The location is GREAT which is why I would consider staying there again, and is excellent value as you can walk to Xintiandi, Huaihai, Taikang Lu, French Concession etc very easily. I was a bit disappointed with elements of the customer service. When I arrived there was a storm and when I tried to contact the staff to tell the taxi driver the address, they passed the phone around for ages (while I was getting soaked...) and didn't understand what I wanted (I do speak some Chinese so this was a bit weird) so the taxi driver had to explain. When I got there, soaking, the concierge was 'too busy' to help with my huge bag to a different building. They advertised that they had WIFI in the rooms when they didn't. When I asked for an iron, twice in one day, it wasn't put in the room. It was only the third time the following day and being grouchy with them when they finally did something. Checkout was ok and the concierge was very helpful getting a taxi etc. Don't expect much friendly treatment and there's a lack of professionalism but hey, it's good value.
Other trip Apr 8, 2015
L
"Nice hotel close to downtown"
The hotel was as good as I expected And we get a good serves and now just am waiting to get my deposit back
Other trip Apr 7, 2015
kameel
Don't stay here. Rooms stink of drains, it's dirty noisy old and tired. Needs to be knocked down
Other trip Apr 5, 2015
"Hotel should prepare a free wifi in a room"
I'm happy in stayed at rayfont downtown hotel.The location is very good,walking distance from a metro. Many restuarant and shoping at the station.
1 night business trip Mar 4, 2015
Suwit
"very good location and safe place!"
Only has wired internet. even you pay RMB 36 per day, the connection is still sucks!!
Other trip Jan 16, 2015
"Broken but nice room"
The hotelroom looks really nice and a good view. Nice bathroom. Unfortunately we had a few problems with things who didn't work in the room. The refrigerator should be cold, not warm as the receptionist told us when we comment the problem. Also problem with the shower and the sink in our bathroom. The room was freezing and the heat didn't work at all. Hard to communicate in english with everyone who work here. We stayed here for 4 nights and we enjoyed it overall. The location is fine.
4 night trip with friends Dec 29, 2014
Malin
"nice hotel near mid town"
is okay , nothing special. just near mid town. this hotel near rail station
Other trip Dec 29, 2014
Eddy
HK
"Near amenities n shopping but service bad!"
Stay here only if can speak Chinese. Almost all the people are Chinese. The young guy (on duty on 16/12/14)in charge of calling taxi for us was extremely helpful!☺☺
3 night family trip Dec 13, 2014
"AVOID"
Awful service. Dirty smelly rooms that are under poor management. Service was terrible and the staff very rude. We booked for two nights, checked in, saw the room and checked straight out. When we asked to check out they didn't even bother to ask why. Also when we asked for a refund the hotel refused. Currently under investigation from hotels.com over their service and misleading information/pictures. DO NOT STAY HERE!
2 night romance trip Dec 12, 2014
"Basic hotel without wifi"
Firstly, the hotel lobby is a disaster and don't expect a warm welcome from the hotel staff who constantly look stressed and put upon. My first impressions are terrible and despite saying there is interest, please be aware that there is no wifi so anyone with a vague new computer or a mac will not be able to use the cable. There is a cafe in the lobby which has wifi. The hotel seems to be constantly busy and messy with staff who are not pleasant or interested in making your stay pleasant. The room was actually fine, small but physically OK. One one staff member spoke english and on the second day my toilet wouldn't flush. The room was freezing and despite making several complaints I finally was given a duvet and my windows were opened everyday. By the 4th day a mysterious smell preceded my room and after much complaining I was offered an upgrade, which was fine. The room was bigger and warmer but the toilet didn't always flush. The location was ok but the hotel had only 4 lifts and it was constantly busy and difficult to get into the lifts. While this is cheap, I wouldn't recommend this or go back again.
SH
"acceptable level but won't come back"
Bed sheets and linen were clean and comfortable. Close to metro station and some tourist attractions. But Many stains/marks on table and remote control dirty. Power from plugs on walls sometimes would just stop and I had to change where I plug my chargers so many times.. Not sure if it was hotel thing or other problem. Didn't get good impression. from positive reviews here I expected more.
HK