All hotels in Sandown, England, United Kingdom

• Wellness
    Great wellness & sports facilities
    Great pool
  • Value
    Fairly good value for money
    Ordinary amenities
  • Bar
    Bar is not good
    Poor vibe
"Wonderful stay"
I had a great stay at the hotel and treatment in the spa. All the staff was friendly and eager to help. The Isle of Wight is a beautiful place to visit. I will definitely be back!
2 night business trip Jun 19, 2015
This was our (my girlfriend and mine) first time in the Isle of Wight, so also our first time in this hotel. After checking the weather forecast and seeing it would rain on Saturday, we wanted to stay somewhere with an added value. Melville Hall Hotel was perfect for that: while it was raining outside, we enjoyed the hotel's spa facilities and pools. The staff was nice, the rooms were clean and nice, the breakfast was really good... We would be happy to repeat any time.

"A night at the Melville Hotel"
One night on business (short stay 9pm till the morning) . Hotel a little understaffed though it was a pretty quiet night. The room was decent, comfortable bed etc... (interesting 1969 IW festival memorablia on the bar walls... worth a look) and the Breakfast (and service) was fantastic, even offered a 7:30 start for that. Well worth the money (at this time of year) and I love supporting smaller IW businesses as it must be so difficult at quiet times of year to be profitable so would say this is a really decent honest IW hotel well worth supporting and I will stay there again. (Didn't try the Spa etc though am sure they are very well worth a visit if you have time... ) PS, Bit tricky to find in the dark if you arrive at that time so worth researching directions in advance as postcode (via sat-nav) does not exactly get you there.
1 night business trip Dec 8, 2015
Dr Philip
"Relaxing trip"
Hotel is a bit old but in good condition. Spa is great plus and people were very helpful.
3 night romance trip Nov 4, 2015
Konstantin
"Nice spa hotel close to the beach"
Helpful staff, good size room with an excellent range of complimentary soaps etc.
Other trip Apr 18, 2015
"V. friendly hotel, nothing was too much trouble!"
We spent three nights over the Easter weekend at Melville Hall Hotel and had a great stay. The room (122) was warm without being stuffy, and the window could be opened if need be. The bed was comfortable and there was plenty of storage in the room for clothes and other belongings. The shower was really powerful and there was always plenty of hot water - it surprised me as it was a mixer tap shower with no temperature scale, yet was really good, consistent warmth and pressure. The hospitality tray had a really good selection of teas (sadly the Assam, my favourite, wasn't replenished each day - but if I had asked I'm sure it would have been). Our only negative comment about the room would be its location - it was at the top of the stairs and at the junction of two short corridors of rooms. We were woken up quite a few times by people coming back in the small hours, talking loudly as they passed our door on their way to their own rooms. The indoor jacuzzi and plunge pool were always empty when we wanted to use them, and rarely were there other people in the detox cabins or sauna. The outdoor hot tub was more popular, though, and unfortunately occupied for long periods by people smoking and drinking cans of lager. I don't think this is the norm though, I think we were just unlucky! Robes and towels could be changed at reception as often as required, and the fresh ones were always warm.
Other trip Apr 7, 2015
"Lovely hotel. Quiet, leafy cul de sac nr seafront"
Great location near the seafront, set in a quiet leafy cul de sac. Good service, fabulous breakfast, clean and comfortable nice warm room & en suite. All good thank you.
1 night trip Feb 9, 2015
Grace
"Excellent Service & Friendly Staff!!"
Value for money, hotel located in a calm and cool Location. Perfect for Couples !
Other trip Feb 7, 2015
Palani
"Quite nice"
Quite basic facilities but nice. Listing the spa facilities as having a pool is a bit of an understatement though as I've seen baths bigger. Also, there are no gym facilities (which some other sites wrongly suggest). Overall, pretty good stay though.
1 night business trip Jan 28, 2015
"I ll be back"
Only one night but stay was very comfortable and enjoyable . Will definitely stay again
1 night romance trip Jan 17, 2015
"Not happy"
We booked our stay on 20th September and in the comments I put I was disabled , 2 weeks before we were due to go on our new year break I received a phone call from melville hall hotel to say the only rooms suitable for me on the ground floor was £20 extra a night I asked if there was a lift and told no . The hotel is not disabled friendly I'm a double amputee and there's 3 high steps to get into the hotel . When we paid our bill £40 was deducted from the bill for our Inconvience . Although the hotel wasn't advertised as entertainment on New Year's Eve we had thought there would be something but no only a cd playing . We had our New Year's Eve meal in the hotel and 9pm we were in our room watching TV not really a good way to celebrate the new year in ,if I had known about the hotel not being disabled friendly and the extra cost for the room we wouldn't have booked the hotel . Hotel is ideal for the spa
Other trip Jan 3, 2015
jennifer
"Need for improvement"
Reception staff were dismissive when told the, about our television that kept cutting, dinner was over priced for what it was. Pool and jacuzzi facilities were very small,
2 night business trip Nov 27, 2014
Rachna
"Relaxing environment"
A short break with my wife to make the most of me refereeing at Sandown rfc . Close to railway station and a short walk into town centre . Room was a little dated in decor but comfortable and fairly clean. Pool and leisure facilities make it a relaxing venue with welcoming staff and mesmerising fish tank which I could have spent all weekend gazing at. Not 5 star but very good value for money and would definitely return if in the area.
Other trip Oct 27, 2014
wayne
"Great service"
A warm welcome, staff helpful throughout. Restaurant staff very quick and energetic to serve all the customers promptly. Good food. Hotel has a spa plus outdoor heated hot tub and swimming pool
2 night family trip Sep 23, 2014
Vectis Breezer
"Excellent service"
From the moment you park up you know you've made the right choice coming here. We used this hotel as a base for exploring the island. Staff were great, very attentive, the pool, steam room and jacuzzi perfectly clean and heated just right, so nice after a day walking the island. Breakfast can't be knocked either. We'll definitely be back!
2 night trip Sep 1, 2014
"comfy bed"
Very pleased with the hotel, décor a little tired in places but clean. Our bedroom was fine and bed very comfy. The bathroom was ok but could do with something to hold onto getting in and out of the bath as the bath/shower is high (if you don't have long legs or a bit unsteady). Food was ok and good service. Facial in spa good and the young lady very pleasant and competent.
4 night romance trip Aug 25, 2014
"Get away"
Very comfortable, good facilities, staff very friendly and helpful
4 night trip Aug 18, 2014
"Hotel walking distance to the beach"
One of the maid was rude and rushing us out so that she could clean the room. But most of the staff were nice. Clean pool and jacuzzi
Other trip Aug 15, 2014
"Hotel is located close to beach. Benefits to us"
But bed was awful so uncomfortable and very noisey by our window till late hours by pool. Seems odd that even joined by staff in giggles at 10.30 pm
Other trip Aug 5, 2014
anonymous
"Underwhelming experience"
This place is beyond tired and in need of refurbishment. The furniture and condition of the room are like going into a time warp back to 1985 without the Back to the Future movie glamour! The rooms are not cleaned regularly and was so small it makes a box room feel spacious. The staff are indifferent with some in fairness quite friendly and yet others that do not give you the time of day. The hotel looks like a nice period property with landscaped gardens. But as the old saying goes, "don't judge a book by its cover" or it's website pictures. The Spa facility is basic and unassisted with poor cleanliness. How this hotel maintains 3* rating is beyond me. They have plenty of good reviews, but judging by the other guests who were in the majority in there late 50s and 60's, they clearly are operating the standards of a retirement home. If your under 40 and from a city like London, Manchester etc you will feel totally robbed here as this place is poor and makes a TravelLodge feel like the Ritz in Mayfair.
Other trip Aug 1, 2014
Arif
"Enjoyable visit with just a few drawbacks"
Comfortable stay and friendly service in a clean but slightly dated hotel. For the price, superior room disappointingly small in size, quite hot and stand alone fan had to be used to keep it cool. Excellent breakfast. Good location; ten minutes walk to town centre and station close by.
3 night trip with friends Jun 29, 2014
AC
"Dispointment at Melville Hall"
The spa facility and restaurant/bar facility is very good at Melville, but the room, a classic double, fell well below our expectation, the staff were very friendly, and helpful, but especially during the off peak hours, they were non existent, and the bar was on a beeper to a staff member that was operating elsewhere most of the time, we felt that this hotel, lacked the level of care and attention to detail, but the facility outside of the rooms, could not be faulted, just the small detail, has gone amiss, which led to a feeling of disappointment
Other trip Jun 23, 2014
"4 day break"
Booked an off season break in June but were blessed with great weather. Hotel is easy to find just off the main route through Sandown on a quiet road, so the hotel is very quiet. Parking on site not a problem either. Hotel is spacious, with plenty of seating in the lounge area next to the bar. Easy access to the spa facilities and the outdoor pool. We had a 2 bedroom suite, although only booked a room with double bed. Very comfortable room/bed, tea/coffee making facilities and quiet. Excellent breakfast with large selection of hot food cooked to order (eg large fillet of smoked haddock was great and somewhat unusual for any hotel to offer). Would recommend this place to anyone.
Other trip Jun 14, 2014
Jeremy
"Great Facilities"
Good location,especially if using public transport. Great if you want spa, swimming pool sauna and the like. very friendly staff. Room could do with attention to detail, then it would probably gain another star.
4 night romance trip Jun 5, 2014
satisfied
"Good hotel"
We chose this hotel because we wanted a swimming pool and I could not find many decently priced hotels which could offer spa facilities. Overall the hotel is good, staff are friendly and helpful. We had booked two rooms , but we didnot like the location of one of the rooms as it was right in the corridors, so they upgraded us to a superior room for one night and moved us to a new room the next morning - which was great. They charged us for the newspapers - though only a small amount but I think the receptionist should have mentioned this while asking. Overall, hotel is located within 5-10 mins walk from the beach.
2 night family trip Jun 6, 2014
"ideal location"
Ideal for seafront and town center
1 night business trip Feb 17, 2014
"Very Friendly"
Working in the area so just a 1 night stopover. Very friendly staff, excellent food and nice clean room.
1 night business trip Dec 19, 2013
Tonky10
Quite clean and up to expectation
2 night trip Dec 18, 2013
Jeremy
"Very professional hotel"
We were greated by a friendly receptionist and received the same manner from all of the ther staff members. The room was as a normal hotel room would be.
1 night romance trip Oct 14, 2013

"Gedateerd hotel met goede ligging"
Op foto's en aan de buitenkant lijkt het hotel heel wat. De kamer die wij hadden, was behoorlijk gedateerd. Ook moesten wij onze bagage over een trap naar boven sjouwen. Beetje vergane glorie. Daarom is de prijs die voor een kamer gevraagd wordt best pittig. Voorzieningen zoals zwembad en beautycenter (behandelingen tegen betaling) zijn goed. Ligging in de buurt van zee is prima.
2 night trip Jun 10, 2014
NL
"hôtel"
Personnel de l'accueil excellent (rapide et efficace). C'est moins le cas pour celui du restaurant... Chambres correctes en taille. Cependant la salle d'eau aurait pu être plus petite et la chambre un peu plus grande.
Other trip Aug 24, 2013
2 night trip May 24, 2014

TripAdvisor reviews for Melville Hall Hotel

"a lovely treat"
02/11/16 susan w Torquay, United Kingdom
we have been going to Melville now twice a year for the last 5 years, we love the hotel and staff and enjoy the lovely food served in a peaceful and tastefully decorated restaurant, the staff aim to please and make you feel completely at home.
"Lovely people"
02/11/16 Paula T
Had a lovely two day break very clean and tidy lovely staff all very helpful smiley and nice nice room good spa and lush treatments Chloe did mine and she was amazing X restaurant staff very nice and very attentive no faults worse thing was having to leave :( would def recommend
"lovely spa treatment"
02/09/16 Romany H
bought the spa weekend on wowcher which included ferry, two nights stay at hotel, three course meal and £20 off each voucher all for £199. The hotel was very dated but is under renovation so will eventually be brought up to date. Our room was ok nothing special but didn't mind. I had a lovely 115 minute body cocoon with paige and it was very relaxing and well worth the money. My partner had the neck, back and shoulder massage also with paige which was also good. The food in the hotel was nice and if the weather was better there was an outdoor pool and jacuzzi. The staff were very helpful and made it a nice stay. The hotel is located in Sandown which is near to Ryde and Shanklin so we had a drive round the area and there are lovely beaches and pubs locally. Will return again !
"peacefull retreat"
02/08/16 hyperstar29 Essex, United Kingdom
Nice and clean quite place great views very close to beach acess is hood and has own parking ideal for weekend getaway check with hotel as always has offers and cheap ferryreturn if you book through them.
"A great two days"
02/01/16 C0rinne12 London, United Kingdom
Went to this hotel for two nights with friends and had a really relaxing time. It's a really "oldie worldly" hotel where the staff went out of their way to make our trip a success - and it was!! Would definitely visit again
"Would not return"
01/31/16 jimandgaye Lewes, United Kingdom
The second time at Melville Hall but alas the last. Looking forward to a relaxing time that we had before at the spa hotel but we were very disappointed. After travelling since early morning I was looking forward to relaxing in the spa only to find it too crowded to swim or relax in. I then tried to read in the lounge but was annoyed by the loud pop music coming from the empty bar area. Eventually I had to give up and go to my room. My spa bath didn't work and neither did my TV. I didn't report it because we had unpacked and didn't want to move rooms. The evening meal was awful with my husbands meal looking like raw meat juices on his plate. He was really put off by the sight of this. They were unable to supply custard with his sponge pudding either. My vegetarian breakfast was poor and the bare tables do not give you a feeling of luxury that we had before. My spa treatment was interrupted by people walking past the treatment room. We finally found the hot tub outside was a good place to relax but was told to come out because it was dark even though there was lighting and I had asked at reception if we could use it. The service also was lacking and unprofessional in some of the staff although the wine waiter was excellent as usual.It would be simple to put this hotel right but things seem to have deteriorated and we will not be returning in the future.
"Mrs purkis"
01/29/16 Sharon P
Lovely hotel with amazing staff nothing to much trouble for them. Spa facilities excellent would definitely recommend. High standard of food and lots of choice for breakfast. Rooms spotlessly clean. I had 2 treatments in the spa, a back massage and a facial both done by Gemma, what a lovely young lady!!! I feel amazing and ready to return to the real world....I would also like to mention our waiter a true gent.
"nice relaxing stay"
01/27/16 wilfowen Southampton, United Kingdom
very clean rooms staff very friendly good morning breakfast wife had nails done at the spa and very happy only down side was the carisberg ran out so had to pay £2 for small tins of fosters which are only £1 in the local premier shop lol didnt sleep to well because of the snoring from the next room sounded like the next door occupants where actually in our room lol so had poor nights sleep but overal enjoyed our stay so thanks to the melville
"Warm Welcome & Enjoyable Stay"
01/25/16 leaht700 London, United Kingdom
A friend & I recently ventured to the Isle of Wight for a weekend getaway. We arrived pretty late at night and got a bit lost but was warmly welcomed by the doorman (Noel) who knew my name and greeted us, checked us in and showed us to our rooms. There was a delicious full breakfast offered every morning of our stay and the dinner was really good as well. We also enjoyed facials at Utopia Spa! Our overall trip and experience was well enjoyed and the staff at Melville Hall Hotel are all very helpful and friendly. Thank you!
"Fantastic Hotel"
01/20/16 Hannah L
Myself and my boyfriend stayed here (20&25) from the 18-19th of January and it was absolutely excellent.The hotel has got an older feel, yes, but it only adds to the charm. It is in no way dirty or unkempt, let me assure you. The indoor pool and jacuzzi were amazing and all for £45! That includes breakfast as well! The staff couldn't do more to help you out, they were all so friendly and helpful. We received a tour on our arrival and were given all the information we needed. Our room was modern and so comfy we also had a jacuzzi bath, which was awesome! I would stay here again in a second, it is one of the best hotels I've stayed in in the UK. Some things you may want to know: You don't need to bring towels, the hotel provides very nice ones. The hotel has a bar that runs until 11 or a bit after (tequila sunrise cocktail was lush) It's a very short 10 minute walk to the center of Sandown. Bring your swim stuff because the pool and jacuzzi are excellent. All in all, I loved it! Thoroughly recommend!