All hotels in Newport, Rhode Island, United States of America
You can collect Hotels.com® Rewards nights here27 Clarke Street, Newport, RI, 02840, United States of America, ‏‎800-491-6126

A friend and I rented two rooms for a wedding at Bowen's Wharf. I liked the quaint street. The staff found us parking. This is a cluster of four houses. I loved the rooms overall. One small complaint is the lack of drapes to block early morning sunshine, so it's impossible sleep in. No screens in the window, but I opened it anyway. Comfortable beds. Good bathroom. The breakfast room had toast and English muffins. There were tea bags, but it was very difficult to get hot water. (The dispenser was extremely slow.) We ended up at the house next door for a hot breakfast. The menu said omelettes, but the waiter stated that he never saw one made. The scrambled eggs were good, but they lost our order for some reason and we had to wait about 40 minutes. Most staff members very friendly (esp. Joe), one or two not. I did overhear two "conversations" wherein staff members were chewed out. I guess that we can attribute that to the old, thin walls. Overall, great location, good staff and comfortable rooms. I would stay there again.
1 night trip with friends May 2, 2015
stephen
"Great location, great breakfast and great hosts."
The king bed was actually two twin mattresses. My husband kept falling to the center of the bed. The water coming out is shower was a trickle but once my husband took the shower head apart and got the crud out it worked fine. It should be noted however that breakfast was great, off street parking helpful and location to town was great.
1 night romance trip Apr 18, 2015
"A hidden gem"
Clean room, super attentive staff... A great find
1 night family trip Dec 31, 2014
Nina
"Getaway"
We had a very pleasant stay at the Cleveland House. It was just for a last minute getaway. The pricing was reasonable considering it was also restaurant week,BONUS!! The room was very clean and the bed was sooo comfortable. The staff was friendly,helpful and they cook a great breakfast. It is in a great location! Walking distance to the downtown area for food,shopping and the wharf. It was our first experience with a bed and breakfast and we plan on staying there again next time we go to Newport. Highly recommend!
1 night romance trip Nov 15, 2014
"House convenience"
House is very close to dock area and in quiet neighborhood.
1 night romance trip Oct 18, 2014
"happy times"
Staff very helpful and friendly.
1 night trip with friends Oct 20, 2014
Georgina
"Great location, good price"
Couple minutes walk from most of the tourist-type activities.
1 night romance trip Sep 25, 2014
"Very comfortable stay!"
Enjoyed 2 nights here at the Cleveland house. Very quite neighborhood, room was very nice. Breakfast was fantastic!!!!!! Will defiantly return!!!!
1 night trip Sep 25, 2014
Kathy & Tom
"Only If Location Is Important"
I cannot at all recommend this B&B. The only nice feature is it's location where it's in easy walking distance to the retail hub area and waterfront district. The room was extremely small. No chair; just the bed for sitting. The bathroom was also very small. The bathroom sink, as tiny as it was, was actually in the bedroom. The toilet wasn't working properly and the bathroom exhaust fan was broken. The room had only one very tiny closet...really no place to store luggage. One window had no screen. One of the worst problems was the parking situation. Very small lot and little street parkingade it very difficult coming and going. The Staff tried to make the best of the parking problem but little they could do. The room cost was very high especially for what you got.
Other trip Sep 24, 2014
Everyone was helpful. The room was small but clean. There was parking which is hard to come by in Newport. We easily walked to the harbor and restaurants. Also a great location to bike to the mansions.
1 night trip Aug 27, 2014
"Newport B&B"
Great location. Friendly staff. Decent breakfast at next door B&B under same management.
1 night trip Aug 23, 2014
Becky
"Friendly"
Customer service was helpful.
1 night romance trip Aug 23, 2014
"Overall Good Stay"
Service was wonderful. Breakfast was also good. Walking distance to downtown, Tennis Hall of Fame.. Room was small and TV left a bit to be desired. I was told there was adequate parking, which is definitely a stretch. Parking is extremely limited, with no guarantee of a spot when you return at night. We actually paid for a cab several times ( and left our car) several times rather than take a chance on parking.
4 night business trip Aug 18, 2014
Janiced
"B&B in need of renovation."
While everything appeared clean it don't feel clean. Young and inexperienced staff who had to check the actual room to make sure no one else was in it. Bathroom and room itself felt dated, worn, and was trying to hard to be something it is not. Carpet was gross and not suited for a hotel. Overall we will not be staying here again.
1 night romance trip Aug 21, 2014
Great place - friendly, courteous and helpful
3 night family trip Aug 12, 2014
Lou
"Can't go wrong"
Great location, great hotel, great service.
1 night trip with friends Aug 6, 2014
chris
"pleasant stay at historic residence"
Overall it was a pleasant place to stay. We were given a choice of staying in the Cleveland House or the Clarkeston across the street. We chose the Clarkeson because it is more historic (built in 1705). Our room was not huge but was comfortable, quiet and clean. The location is very convenient; many shops, restaurants, etc. within a 5-10 minute walk. My only criticism is about the breakfast service. We were given a choice of continental or full breakfast and chose the latter. However the staff seemed to be overwhelmed by the 4 parties that were having breakfast that morning and as a result we had to wait 20 minutes before our food order was even taken. Once the food arrived all was well... the food was reasonably tasty. Aside from this issue, we were very satisfied and enjoyed our stay.
1 night family trip Aug 2, 2014
A wonderful bed and breakfast. Older and charming room. Staff was fantastic. Newport is a bit confusing with one way streets, but it made for a pleasant neighborhood were I felt comfortable at night, unlike other cities I've been in.
Other trip Jul 30, 2014
"No fan of Bed & Breakfasts, but now even more so!"
When I arrived I was treated to a confusing check-in process by a bombastic gentleman who completely ignored me for 5 minutes telling another guest about restaurants he did not like in the area (and one or two he liked). After a while I interrupted to ask if this was where I check in (it wasn't obvious). I was asked for my credit card (I assumed for incidentals), then handed a receipt to sign without explanation. It turns out my web booking did not collect the room charge. The "gentleman" whom I guessed to be the owner, asked me to follow his daughter to 2 room options. The daughter was lovely and pleasant and showed me a well air conditioned room below the office. The second room turned out to be in the Melville house next door. After viewing the second room, I chose it based on the relative quietness of and the desire NOT to interact with the owner again. There was no desk for me to work at, unfortunately, and I later realized no television either. If the internet had been better, this would not be a problem, but the internet connection was awful. Later that night, I “tried” to sleep in an uncomfortable double bed with many loud voices outside my window. There were several tables and umbrellas outside my window and several other guests (I assume) were having some drinks and being unreasonably loud for after 11 pm. As is usual for my work related stays in Newport, I left well before breakfast was available. I was very thankful that i only stayed here the one night.
1 night business trip Jul 22, 2014
Mike G
"Ended up at the Admiral Farragut"
Although my booking was at Cleveland House, I ended up at another one of the related properties next door, the Admiral Farragut. The manager and staff were very friendly and accommodating. The room was small but very comfortable. The breakfast was made to order and the service was friendly. I would recommend the Cleveland House/Admiral Farragut to anyone wanting a nice place to stay that is close to everything in the Newport area.
1 night trip Jul 16, 2014
Tony D
"Staff is as Charming and Friendly as Hotel"
We checked in during a very busy time, during a very busy week at the Cleveland House and at first, felt shuffled around. We weren't sure what to expect from the room or experience. But Rick was very kind in helping sort out the rooms. His son Chase was learning the ropes that day and was supremely polite and friendly, which made us especially besotted with the charming colonial home. The room was both rustic and comfortable, well-appointed and perfectly suited to our needs. Breakfast with Monica the next day was delightful and filling. Overall, the staff are the best feature of this already cute and cozy inn right off the wharfs. A must-stay!
2 night romance trip Jul 8, 2014
Jen
"It was okay"
Got room next to office in lobby so it was loud. It was only room w/ king bed. Heard every conversation whenever someone checked in. Owner was inappropriate telling us story about calling the police on another guest who was trying to pull a scam on him. I booked it cause only room available left on holiday. Wouldn't spend the $300 again
Other trip Jul 6, 2014
nikpop
"Great Location with Charm"
The Cleveland house was great! My room was adorable, clean, comfortable, and relaxing. Parking was free, location is right where you want to be only a block from restaurants, bars, nightlife, water, shopping,etc. Hot Breakfast options in the morning were great and the Owner is the nicest and most helpful person I have met in Newport. I can't wait to come back!
1 night trip with friends Jun 13, 2014
ctfree
"The Real Experience"
We really enjoyed our stay. Much better in a bed and breakfast than a conventional hotel. We felt like, we experienced the real Newport just being a few blocks from downtown and the water.
1 night romance trip May 25, 2014
Lucy and Wallace

"Central location with parking."
We upgraded to a large room on the ground floor which was extremely comfortable.
Other trip Aug 9, 2014
"ok."
nice hotel, very friendly staff, fantastic location, comfortable room, shower never worked properley, tv never worked at all, and had to go to another hotel for breakfast as the dining room at hotel we stayed at was full, so we had to walk across the road to the other hotel they owned, that was full too, so off we went to the next hotel, luckily that had a table, this didnt really bother me, but the shower did, and no tv did too, as after a long day out, getting back to room about 11 it would of been nice to watch an hour of tv before nodding off, but nobody could get it to work, but having said all that, the lady couldnt apologise enough, and i would go back as these are only trivial things that can, and i am sure have allready been put right. all in all i had a good time, newport is a great place, dont miss out if you ever gat chance to go there.
Other trip Jun 2, 2014
GAZ

"Tranditional guesthouse?"
Avis mitigé: l'hôtel tout mignon avec une déco traditionnelle, pourrait être mieux entretenu. Les couloirs et parties communes ne sont pas climatisés et dans un état pire que les chambres. La climatisation très bruyante, ainsi que l'escalier juste à côté de notre chambre. Le petit déjeuner est traditionnel et offert dans le forfait, par contre il ne faut pas venir aux heures de pointe - pas assez de tables. Très bon emplacement près du port de Newport.
2 night romance trip Aug 13, 2014
Veronika
FR
"Emplacement de l'hôtel est idéal prêt de tout."
Hotel bien plutôt vieux déjeuner le matin manquait décomptés houx.
1 night trip Aug 18, 2014
1 night trip Jul 17, 2014
2 night trip Jun 27, 2014
4 night business trip Jun 1, 2014

TripAdvisor reviews for Cleveland House

"Great Service, Great Location"
11/11/14 ant w rutland
We stayed at the Cleveland House for one night on Columbus Day weekend. The house was located on a quiet street and easy to find. Parking looked as though it could have been a challenge but was not for us. We parked on the street but considered ourselves lucky. The rooms were comfortable and quiet. The service was very accommodating. Breakfast was relaxing. They had coffee, juice, breads, cereal and fruit but if a hot breakfast is what you want then they also own the B&B next door where they will serve you eggs, pancakes, waffles, bacon, sausage and the rest. We did that and it was terrific. It was less than a 5 minute walk to the Newport waterfront/wharf.
"B&B Great Location"
10/15/14 Barbara M Wokingham, United Kingdom
Very friendly welcome on arriving at Cleveland House - and the car parking is behind another property opposite. We were upgraded into a King room - which considering the age of the "old" house - the room was compact, but bed was very comfortable - don't expect a fridge, or hair drier as neither in the room - but I am sure if you asked for a hair drier one could have appeared. The Cleveland is located a couple of minutes walk from the "waterfront" - great location, and lots of bars, restaurants and shops all within walking distance - although at the time of our visit - first week of October - we found that we were "out of season" so some shops / restaurants were already closed for the season or on shorter opening hours but that didn't spoil our visit - Newport very busy and we were so lucky with the weather which was warm for the time of the year. We took breakfast in an adjoining property- this was freshly cooked on an individual basis - plentiful which set us up for our next part of our trip visiting New England.
"Lots to discuss here"
09/12/14 doublerdad San Jose, California
First of all, our visit here was on a whim. We made a reservation the morning we arrived; and got a really good price. We'd never been to Newport before, and had no clue what we were doing. Chose this place for the location, and it delivers, in a big way. Right in the center of everything, you can walk everywhere, easily, and we did. The room itself was charming; it was a "golf" themed room, and had some old antique clubs as part of the decor. No TV (that was perfectly OK by us), No closet space to speak of. The bathroom was huge and had a jacuzzi tub. Bed was good. Problem was, the room had absolutely ZERO view; onto a wall across the alley, and being on the ground floor, pedestrians could see right into the window walking by, so in general we had to enjoy our no view room with the shades drawn. Oh well...that's probably why we got the deal we did. The parking situation is chaotic at best. Unmanageable is the word. They promise free parking, but don't have anywhere near enough spaces. I was sent to a spot that didn't exist, then couldn't get out of the narrow lot in our rental. Then I got sent to a spot where I was basically parked in. Didn't really bother us, as we didn't use the car again until we left, but if one wanted to drive around, getting in and out of there is impossible. Also, service checking in was very, very slow and tedious. But the breakfast...HOLY COW! That was GREAT food! Best blueberry pancakes I've ever had! Made to order. One can have as much as one wants, too, no limit! Being made to order it's a little slow getting there, so allow time. But this place is worth staying in, despite some of the hassles, for the location and especially the amazing breakfast!!
"Nice Stay, Great Location!"
09/01/14 Jim O Lexington, Massachusetts
We went with another couple, and we were very happy with our stay at the Cleveland House. Rick and the staff were very accommodating, and the location is fantastic. Parking may not be great if you plan to do a lot of driving around Newport, but for touring the harbor and walking to restaurants and pubs, you can't beat it. Breakfast was cooked to order, and it was great - LOVED the thin, crispy bacon. Overall, a very nice stay.
"Good B&B in Newport"
08/25/14 415janiced
The Bed and Breakfast was fine with the exception of the parking. I was told there was adequate parking when booking which was quite a stretch... We had to leave our car in the lot and take a cab for fear we would not have a spot upon our return. On a better note, the service was great, the breakfast was good and the room was clean. The room was a bit small for my taste, and tv left a bit to be desired. It was a good value in Newport and within walking distance to the down town area.
"Worse B & B we've EVER visited!"
08/11/14 Ed P
The troubles began when we first arrived and it took the counter help 25 minutes to find us a parking space half a block away. "Oh, and you have to move your car by 9am or you'll get a ticket. And we're required to place this 8x10 sheet of paper on your dashboard with your room number and name on it." Who makes up a rule like this after considering the security implications? "Now, let's walk you up to your room, and back down these stairs and through this narrow passage way." Seriously, I was awake most of the night wondering how the hell we'd get out of here in case of a fire or emergency! "So, here's your room. Oh, there's no tv, just a boom box with one working speaker." No tv, no problem. We brought our iPad so let's log into the wireless and watch an old movie. "Oh, wireless is down and we can't get it fixed." Morning time, I can relax because we lived. Shower time. I have NEVER seen a shower like this. So once I figure out how the broken controls work, I discover the poor water pressure and the fact that the water is either scalding or cold, with about 5 seconds of moderate temp in between. Then the water pressure drops. Holy hell! I confront the manager. His solution? "Find another place." We did. We thought the groupon value would be a decent savings. Don't make the same mistake we made!
"Absolutely Perfect!!!"
07/25/14 Dimitrinyc
We have been coming to newport for a while now and always stay in hotels. This was the first time we stayed in a b&b and were a bit weary. From the moment we walked in the door and were greeted by Rick we felt at home. He offered us several different rooms and we chose a very private and cozy room on the second floor. The breakfast is amazing you have to walk over to the house next door for that which is no big deal. After this experience we will never stay in a hotel again in newport this place makes you feel at home and the staff is so friendly. Not sure why people write negative reviews about this place this is not the four seasons and they don't represent that they are a luxury hotel. But if you want to feel that cozy feeling with a New England environment then this is the place to be. We will be back soon for sure.
"Good and Bad"
07/24/14 GipsyMinneapolis Minneapolis
My sister and I arrived at the Inn on July 19 at about 1 pm, and Rick the owner was very friendly, however, our rooms were not ready so we couldn't check in, which was disappointing after driving for over an hour to get there. We decided to head out and see the sights, but I had to change clothes in the bathroom in the property across the street. We had a lovely day on the wharf and the cliff walk and when we returned to the B&B at 5 pm we checked in and were given the key to our room. Unfortunately when we entered the room we found dirty coffee cups, unmade beds, and a dirty bathroom. The room had not been cleaned at all! This was even more disappointing since we were tired from sightseeing all day. We had to sit and wait in the lobby for about a half hour while they cleaned our room. On the positive side, the B&B is in a great location and the breakfast was very good. We only stayed one night and it's too bad this was our first impression of the place. Since Newport has lots of B&Bs, I might try someplace else before I stay here again.
"Close to town location at a good value"
06/27/14 merboston Boston, Massachusetts
We decided to go to Newport last minute and called the Cleveland house to see if they had any availability. I spoke directly with the owner who was friendly and easy to deal with. Rick met us upon arriving and showed us a few rooms so we could take our pick. This is not a luxury resort by any means, but it was clean, well run and had a comfortable bed. We weren't planning to spend much time in the room anyways. The location is ideal as it is only one block away from Thames Street, close to the resturants and bars. We were able to hear people walking above us as we were in the basement so this may bother some people, but wasn't a big deal for us. We look forward to returning this summer and maybe checking out the others inns Rick owns on the same street.
"A quiet little spot close to everything!"
06/26/14 susan j Castine, Maine
Cleveland House was a great little family-owned place for us during our 2 day stay in Newport... far enough away from the bustle so it was quiet, but close enough so that we could walk to everything; shops, restaurants, attractions... and we didn't have to worry about finding parking. There's lots to do and choose from downtown. The owner was very accommodating and was helpful when wanting to find a nice restaurant. I'd stay again!