All hotels in Runaway Bay, Jamaica

Service is adequate
  • Bar and Beverages
    Standard bar
    Quite clean
The gentlemen who greeted you when you entered was the nicest person in the hotel. It went down hill from there. The check in girl we had to ask to repeat everything at least 3 times because she spoke so fast and then at times we could not even hear what she said. There is 1 elevator at one side of the building for everyone to use and of course our room was on the complete other side of the building. The air conditioning when it worked was only adequate. All the plug ins in the room were falling out of the wall. My niece was drugged at the Disco one night and was almost comatose for 2 days. My sister stopped another Jamaican man from dropping a pill in her friends drink. Security came and did absolutely nothing. The Manager of the hotel did not seem that concerned either when he was told about it also. I would not go back and would never recommend anyone else going there.
Other trip Oct 3, 2015
"vecation"
not good it was bad i got paint allover my shirt and it was not good. they take my shirt to wash and they bought it back worst than the way it went down so i throw it in the garbage.
Other trip Sep 30, 2015
luv traveling
"Fabulous Relaxing Stay"
I was not expecting all that I received for the money I paid. I booked the hotel because it was mid price range, 90% good reviews, and listed numerous activities. I was not disappointed. Because this hotel is not close to the Hip Strip or Ocho Rios, the hotel provided entertainment every night; from the reggae band on the Grand Balcony to the band at poolside to the Bomb fire on the beach to the late night disco, we were happy. However, if you want quiet, the room we stayed gave us that peace and tranquility. We really enjoyed our stay.
Other trip Sep 30, 2015
"Beautiful hotel all the staff was very nice to me"
My biggest experience eating the culture food. Some I like more than others . At dinner I have a special waiter that look for me every evening who treated my friend and me like we verse at a 5 star restaurant. Every evening we were served wine or whatever your preference was with your dinner. He even had me try a Bob Marley drink and that was very different and interesting. Love the service overall
Other trip Sep 27, 2015
Bridget
"Exceed my ecpectations!"
Wow.... what a nice experience. Word can not described it. I will give it a 5 stars. What a beach ! the best I discovered beside one in Dominican Republic called La Ensenada. The friendliness and the staff service was super! I will be back yah mon! :)
Other trip Sep 24, 2015
ana
"Great Hotel for the price."
I would say that overall it was a wonderful stay. I've been to several resorts in Jamaica and this was one of the best I have stayed at. I would love to see it once the construction is over.
Other trip Sep 23, 2015
"great pool and beach access"
we chose this hotel because of the pool and all inclusive. Pool closes early at 7pm. but then there is live music poolside and plenty of activities during the day. we didn't know there was a nude beach on the property as well but it was secluded. Buffet was very good with plenty of options although the so called theme nights seemed to have items from any other days lunch. room service is make your own plate and the staff will wrap it up and bring to your room. But be quick getting back to your room before they get there. Staff are very friendly and accommodating.
Other trip Sep 22, 2015
Greta
"Huge hotel with beautiful beach"
My experience overall was good... Not great. The hotel is HUGE and now that I went they are building 500 more rooms. There is a lot of walking to do here. The beach is stunning. Truly amazing with a lot of beach chairs but the closest ones are for the privilege customers. For all the others the beach chairs are further. The pool is very nice amd it acomodates plenty of people. The food in the buffet is very good. They have plenty of restaurants that open for dinner. They ask you to make a reservation ahead of time on the same day. BUT eventhough we stayed 9 days we were only able to go to 2. They were all booked and didnt have availability until out last days. They funny thing is that we went in slow season(September) The staff is very friendly and efficient. The rooms and the hotel are kept clean.
Other trip Sep 20, 2015
It wasn't great I've had better hotel experiences
Other trip Sep 20, 2015
"Nice hotel, beautiful beach, great staff"
Our room was very nice. The beach was beautiful! Almost every worker there were very pleasant and engaging. The lady who runs the reservations for the restaurants however, was not very accommodating and told us there were no available seats at almost all of the restaurants we wanted to go to for the week. She told us that they were booked and when we walked by multiple times throughout the night would see multiple opens tables. Other than that our stay was very relaxing and an awesome experience!
Other trip Sep 18, 2015
"Very nice my stay"
Woow I have wanderful time wiht my family all service was very nice
Other trip Sep 16, 2015
"Great all-inclusive getaway."
I traveled solo to the hotel from montego bay airport, which was about 1 hour and 10 mins by transport from the airport. Not as close as I expected, but the transport booked through expedia was easy to find, comfortable and had free wifi for the ride. Hotel iself was visually impressive, more beautiful grounds than I expected and very large. Beach was fantastic, clear, shallow water, perfect for relaxing and soaking and very gentle surf. Bring a floating device of some kind so you can take advantage of the calm seas. Not too many families the week of September 7-13, 2015, so pretty quiet and calm atmosphere. Loved the live entertainment provided at multiple locations daily, the buffet was abundant, clean, refilled constatntly, and a big selection of dishes, including lots of local options so you don't feel like you're eating generic hotel food. The staff was great at assisting and made you feel taken care of. The room i had was overlooking the pool in the main part of the hotel and was clean, if a bit dated. No bugs of any kind ever sighted, carpet in hallways was old and worn, and the room had a musty smell throughout my stay that required me to air out my room daily (humidity was very high so I didn't see the point of complaining about it), room was very large space and maid was wonderful. Overall, hotel gave me an unexpectedly good experience, was nicer than I had anticipated and I felt I got an experience worth more than I paid for. I would recommend it.
Other trip Sep 15, 2015
Sin
"Life is what you make it"
Having read many reviews on this hotel, we decided to be posiitive and see what we would find. There are usually negatives with most hotels, but this is a nice hotel. The staff were pleasant and if you smiled and talked to them, their smiles and attitudes were refreshing and made the trip a very positive experience. Our initial room was not a sea view and after requesting a different room we received a nice view of the west side of the hotel-beach and sea After dinner there was a regae group each night and sitting by the pool under the stars and listening to the music was a lot of fun.
Other trip Sep 14, 2015
rick
"clean fun hotel . A+"
2nd time at this hotel . Main reason is the beach and pool are excellent . Food was good not great but for the price its worth it . Only con was maybe the entertainment is 6 out of 10 but i am there for relaxation . Had a great time and would highly recommend this hotel .Drank an average of 10-15 rum and cokes a day lol
3 night romance trip Sep 4, 2015
steven
"Dont stay here"
We booked the junior deluxe suite and was very disappointed. The first two days we kept waiting for staff to fix switxh out tv remote. We had to call numerous times during our stay to ask for rags and towels. The bathroom was horrible! The soap bar dish fell off and there was rust all over. There was rust in the toilet and hot tub. The food was very nasty. The only good thing to eat from the buffet was the fry eggs or anything made from the omelette guy. The entertainment and pool/beach are very nice. The lobby is very nice as well but the room and food were horrible. Some of the staff need to show better customer service. I was so mad that I had to pay $40 for a week of wifi and only one device can be used under the wifi. I would never come back to this hotel. My stay at riu was 5 times better.
Other trip Sep 12, 2015
crystal
The front counter people weren't to friendly. The rest of the employees were nice and friendly I had a good experience
Other trip Sep 8, 2015
Marisol
"Nice hotel and friendly staff"
The hotel was nice. The food is delicious and the beach is stunning. The staff is hit or miss; most of the staff is friendly and very welcoming and others acted bothered when you would ask them a question. The beach was a bit of a walk from our room, definitely not as close or convenient as other resorts we stayed at. We had to ask for a room change on the first day because the room smelled like a horse's stable and reaked of urine. Housekeeping did a lousy job keeping the room clean; despite tipping the women every day, they never changed the bed sheets or even mopped the room floor. One thing that bugged me the most was the women stationed in the lobby constantly bothering the guests and inviting them to a "VIP" breakfast in an attempt to try and sell you timeshares. I did whatever I could to avoid these vultures but they would remember your name and harrass you relentlessly. Had it not been for the above issues, I would've rated this hotel 5-stars.
Other trip Sep 7, 2015
"Awesome trip!"
I had a great time. The hotel was clean and staff was great. The food was good and there was plenty of it. The staff was great and were eager to help you. I will return again.
Other trip Sep 4, 2015
"Great experience"
Celebrated my 50th birthday here and I would definitely come back again. The facilities were awesome and the staff were very accommodating. The only complaint I had is the is they seemed to be short on face towels but other than that we had a ball. Pools, food, excursions were all awesome. Make sure you bring some cash to tip but a great value over all.
Other trip Sep 4, 2015
"Spectacular"
I would recommend this hotel to anyone. The experience and enjoyment I had here was unbelievable. Definitely worth the money and experiences. Definitely would stay here again.
Other trip Sep 3, 2015
"It was good"
It was good overall. The only negative is lack of unhibited wireless internet access.
3 night family trip Aug 24, 2015
"Loved it"
Loved it.
3 night business trip Aug 21, 2015
Emmanuel
"Convenient, all-inclusive; good value for cost"
Overall pleasant experience with minor hicups such as need to request wash cloths daily, beds too firm for my comfort, and restricted wifi access. On site daily entertainment,shopping and variety of dining choices a big plus. Alcoholic beverages were not too watered down; surprised with dearth of sea food choices. Nice beach and pool size appropriate for resort size so was never too crowded.
Other trip Aug 26, 2015
Ronae
"Nice hotel on the Beach"
My hotel stay and the resort was overall pretty good. I would have to say the entertainment at this resort is above what I expected. Vanessa with the entertainment group really enjoy what she does. she will go out of her way to make you have a great time at this resort. The hotel is pleasing to the eye however they can improve the communication to the cleaning ladies. I had to call everyday for face towels and ICE to be delivered to the room I'm still waiting on the ICE to be delivered. The Shower head was broken and not repaired during my stay at the resort. The food was great
Other trip Aug 25, 2015
"Friendly staff, clean, food is good!"
Timeshare sales people were rude and misleading. We were coerced into attending then turned away because it was my daughter and I and my husband was not with us
Other trip Aug 23, 2015
"Would not recommend!"
Overall it was an unsatisfactory stay. Our room smelled like urine. The first night our AC didn't work. Upon arrival room was not ready which they guaranteed it would be had to wait almost 2hrs. Stay at the Riu in montego bay for a better experience
Other trip Aug 20, 2015
"Family friendly hotel"
I travelled as a single mom with two children ages 8 and 10. Our first room was awful facing construction and the a/c did not work. We changed rooms the next day (after waiting hours and much confusion at the front desk) and were given a lovely room with functional a/c. The resort is pretty clean considering the amount of people, at times cups and straws were blowing around the pool or on the beach but I did see staff cleaning up often. The grounds were beautifully maintained. The food was ok, not gourmet by any means but the buffet was large enough to find something you like. The Garden Grill was wonderful with a comfortable pleasant atmosphere but the Mikado was just ok. It was very hot in the Mikado and the staff seemed very new. We did not try Dolce Vita or Don Pablo. My biggest gripe would have to be the lack of adequate staffing. The front desk is grossly understaffed and need more training. When we changed rooms after waiting 2 hrs (5-7pm!!) I was given a room that was occupied. How does that happen? The front desk staff seemed lost and helpless. It took a "manager" to find a room for us that was available. Keep in mind, check in is at 3pm so I didn't even go to the desk until 5pm in hopes of the crowds being less and the room being ready. This shouldn't happen at a resort this big. Aside from that, we had a lovely time and the housekeeping staff kept us stocked on bath towels and pool towels daily. Glad to say, I was not offered drugs once while in JA.
Other trip Aug 18, 2015
Darla
It was great and a wonderful experience.next time I want to bring more family members
5 night family trip Aug 6, 2015
"Nice beach horrible staff"
The only good thing is the beach. The pool is always dirty even after they clean The staff is rude not willing to help you The room and resort is HOT the AC is horrible The room was old and outdated
Other trip Aug 15, 2015
ann
"Beautiful resort"
Beautiful comfortable resort with many activities, great beach,plenty of wonderful tasting food. Most of staff have a attitude though.
Other trip Aug 14, 2015
Beautil resort
"Hotel is awesome! I am planning my next trip..."
Let's just say " This hotel is second to none I've been to before. The pool ( swim up bar) is shaped like a lake. The jerk chicken is to died for. just exceptionally great ...
Other trip Aug 10, 2015
Loreen
"The hotel for members"
My experience was 50/50. Food & room was good. But they toke the all inclusive fun out of persons like me who was a non payed member. Almost felt like a second class citizen. The staff was the next toss up some friendly some rude some oh white tourist let me pay them mind not the black guy. Construction made the place dusty. Was an ok hotel would be even better if they cut out the membership crap. When they do that and add Liquor to the mini bar in room I bump them up from 3*** to 5*****.
Other trip Aug 7, 2015
Kenny
"Beautiful grounds"
The hotel is nice, food is great, service is good. But the entertainment Crew is not creative at all , just a DJ by the pool and the crew walking back and forth. It needs more activities like the ones at the other grand bahia principe like in Mexico or Dominican Republic.
Other trip Aug 2, 2015
"Nice Hotel just outside Ocho Rios"
Overall great experience. The best thing is the staff. The a la carte restaurants are also really good. My main problem was with the cleanliness of the room. But other than that there were no other issues and they is a lot to do close by and transportation was readily available.
Other trip Jul 29, 2015
Shana
"Relaxing Girls Trip"
The hotel and grounds were nice overall. But we had issues with the air conditioning that took them half the trip to fix (after numerous calls). We repeatedly asked for wash clothes to no avail. The king size bed was very uncomfortable. The food in the main buffet was extremely salty!! Nice resort, but wouldn't visit again.
Other trip Jul 27, 2015
Erika
"HORRIBLE RESORT!!!"
THIS HOTEL IS HORRIBLE!! It is all hype. The poor went out twice. The ENTIRE hotel had NO water for one day. I stayed 7 days and 6 nights and only had wash cloths ONE DAY! The food is decent and best. For every one respectable and courteous staff members there were 20 rude, arrogant, unhelpful, unpleasant staff members. My family should have received towels every day. I had to complain every day to receive fresh room towels. Clean beach towels were only available after complaining as well. I was in a wedding party of 75 people and every person / couple experienced the same problem. The bride asked the coordinator for a drink and she was told "DO I LOOK LIKE THE WAIT STAFF"! What a horrible experience. DO NOT WASTE YOUR COINS ON THIS RESORT! You will be so disappointed!
6 night trip with friends Jul 13, 2015
kiya
"Disappointing Experience"
This was supposed to be a relaxing family vacation, but it was not relaxing. I must say that the dining, housekeeping, and entertainment teams were really nice, but I would not go back because the hotel itself was a huge disappointment. Other family members visited this property 5 years ago and were impressed so we planned a family trip (12 ppl) for a week here. The elevators were quite small and we ended up walking up and down the stairs which was not bad, but for a hotel this size, better elevators are needed. The bathroom faucet in my room had very low water pressure, the phone in my bathroom went dead during a conversation, the mechanism for locking my door broke and so did the locking mechanisms of 3 other doors of other family members, there was a lack of towels at the end of the day, and there was construction on my floor and the floor below mine. Imagine waking up to the sound of a jackhammer breaking up tiles down the hall just after 8:00am! We spoke with a manager, and he was very gracious and made immediate arrangements to correct these issues, which were resolved but our initial impressions were already made. The floors in the main lobby and around the pool are pretty but incredibly slippery when wet! The vendors selling their goods in the water at the beach are very aggressive. I also had a no-show for my beach massage by the Spa, and a cancellation of a tour without notification by the Tour operator who claimed to have sent a note I never received.
Other trip Jul 21, 2015
Sam
Great stuff, great price, excellent beach, excellent food, a lot of activities in the resort, absolutely loved our vacation.
Other trip Jul 19, 2015
tanya
"Not impressed"
The room had several died insects on the walls and ceilings. I had to request pillows 2 nights in a row but gave up after never receiving them. The couch in the room smelled of urine.
Other trip Jul 8, 2015
Brande T
"My stay at The Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica"
Waited 2 to get towels, soap, shampoo, etc. after contacting the front desk and other staff 5 times. I was told that the hotel ran out of towels and other essential items.
Other trip Jul 6, 2015
Beautiful View. Awesome staff. They were very personalable, and accommodating. The food was great. I will be returning
Other trip Jul 5, 2015
Tash
If you're looking for a real beach... This resort is not located on a beach... It's more of a canal or man made beach. I would not recommend it!
Other trip Jul 4, 2015
The room has a great view of the ocean,but smelled bad. Was no iron in the room,they didn't replace the towels twice the safe is extra $42,the staff very unfriendly, the food ok. The beach very small most is concrete under the sand,the pool was great, the bar service was very bad. Not a very good experience.
Other trip Jul 4, 2015
Nuno
"Nice hotel with lots to offer for entire family"
Spectacular views with lots to offer for the entire family. During our stay we had a difficult time getting clean towels and wash cloths due to a broken machine.
Other trip Jun 30, 2015
The hotel and room were beautiful. The staff was very nice and helpful. It was an amazing and unforgettable experience.
Other trip Jun 27, 2015
"Excellent food. Wonderful resort."
The resort was very nice. The entertainment was also very good each night. I would like them to improve on teen activities. My pre-teens had very limited activities.
Other trip Jun 26, 2015
LRS
"ok hotel, nothing to rave about"
This hotel was very disappointing to us (3 couples in our party) When we checked in, we had no ac, and kept calling the front desk for help and couldn't get answers, after 2 hours, then someone let us know that the chiller was broken and they are fixing it. The ac start working 31/2 hours after we got our rooms, and it still didn't blow cold air for the duration of our stay. We booked an all inclusive, then found out, we can only choose two nights out of the four nights stay to eat at the specialty restaurants, the other nights had to be at the buffet restaurant which we got tired of. We had to pay for top shelf liquor, wifi, and safe box if we choose to use it. Staff was not helpful, had to keep asking for towels, as they only leave two towels in the roomonce a day. toiletries were not replenished when done. we were given an arrangement of fruits for my husband's birthday, and the next day the maid took it away when she cleaned our rooms. We didn't even get to eat any of the fruits. My sister and husband had to get their room changed because their room smelled badly and when the bellboy took them to the replacement room, someone was already in that room relaxing in their bed. What a shock and shame to walk in on someone. Mistakes Mistakes. We have stayed in resorts with lower star rating before and never had such bad experience. The front desk staff and maid service was the worst.
Other trip Jun 26, 2015
Angie
"Great place to stay walk with a plunger and own to"
This is a beautiful hotel. Very welcoming. Lots of good food and very clean except for my room. Lots of dust. My son and husband picked up allergies. Major sewer problem in the night. Called front desk waited almost 2 hrs. The plumer finally showed up smelled like liquor. Lots of security which I liked. They representatives are tricking you into giving away free stuff which i didn't accept. They want you to buy something at the end. They use toys to get the kids to say yes to the hotel tour. I didn't like that at all. They have a problem with towels. There were 4 of us and the first day we had no towels in our room. I called and waited and waited. Then they would only leave 2 towels but no hand towels. The same thing keeps happening the entire time we were there.Food was ok. Jamaican was not good at all. I've had better in NY. Rude bar tender at the pool. Pillow was terrible. They need to invest. Also throw pillow smelled terrible. Overall the hotel is ok. No activities for kids.
5 night family trip Jun 18, 2015
Neelawati
"Best Vacation ever."
We had one of the best vacation ever at the Gran Bahia Principe we would recommend this resort to anyone the staff was very polite friendly food was great not forgetting the drinks weather was awesome always remember tipping is always a good thing the appreciates so much. The staff always say hi, hello, good morning how are you. There's so much I have to say about our stay but it will take a whole day to write remember there's so much to do. If you book a tour to go downtown or a place call Margaritaville please stay away the try to get you and there prices is twice as much if you buying liquor to bring back home shop at the duty free at the airport its $5-$10 cheaper.
Other trip Jun 10, 2015
Lorna
"The staff was the great thing about to hotel"
The friendliest staff that i've ever had the pleasure to meet in all my years of traveling ... The OWNERS of the hotel need to step there game up PLEASE!!!, If they would like to have repeat business in the near future. If it wasn't for the lower ranking staff's we would have just left an went to anther hotel in Jamaica... The hotels upper management couldn't fix our problem an concers about the hotel at all, But the regular ( lower ranking staff) did an went over the call of duty an was glad to address and fix all of our concerns an problem that we encountered at once (ASAP) when the upper management couldn't and didn't even make any attempts to address our problems/concerns at all... That was so very SAD and almost destroyed our vacation... And for that I commend the lower level staff for there excellence an pride in there work as well as raising to the highest of standard of service to resolve each an every concern of ours.. THANK YOU LOWER LEVEL STAFF FOR YOUR HARD WORK AND PRIDE TO BE THE BEST PERSONS EACH AN EVERY ONE OF YOU ARE.... The UPPER RANKING MANAGEMENT TEAM as well as the OWNERS Of the HOTEL could an should take notes from the lower ranking staff an learn from there example ON HOW TO TREAT THERE GUESS .. A1 first class, Then i do believe that the hotel can become one of the hottest hotels in Jamaica.
Other trip Jun 10, 2015