All hotels in Monterey, California, United States of America
2227 N Fremont Street, Monterey, CA, 93940, United States of America, ‏‎855-239-9400

Comfortable
    Room is not nice
  • Bar
    Bar is not good
"Good for the price"
The hotel is convenient and cheap. For $50 a night for a double room it was clean and good enough. The single rooms are tiny but doubles are big enough.
Other trip Jan 21, 2015
n
"stayed in 2 different rooms for 5 nights"
Electrical outlets in need of repair in both rooms. dead bolt broken in one room. noisy with electrical interference on the TV. Had to make coffee in the bathroom because no electrical outlet in reach of the coffee pot. Difficult to regulate heat, but I like it cool anyway. No comfortable chair to sit in to watch TV, but nice chair for office at the desk. Bedspread thin but heavy and ineffective at warmth. Blanket thin. Many repairs needed.
Other trip Jan 4, 2015
"Worth the $$$"
Was good!
1 night trip with friends Dec 20, 2014
SALEH
"free breakfast edible, but not appetizing"
Regarding the room, on the plus side, the wifi worked, the bathroom was big and the room had a good-sized fridge and microwave. On the minus side, the paint was chipping on the baseboards all throughout the room, the blankets on the bed were thin (and they don't give you an extra set of blankets in the closet like many hotels), one of the lights in the bathroom was out, the towels were scratchy and thin, and the curved shower curtain bar was sagging in the middle which meant that the curtain didn't stay closed on the sides. The free breakfast isn't worth really worth it. Orange juice and coffee, white and wheat bread, butter in individual packets, a big jar of peanut butter and big jar of jam for everyone to share and dip their knives in and share germs, overly sweet cheap pastries bought at the grocery store, frosted flakes and fruit loops cereal with only one kind of milk. It's all edible, but not really appetizing. You'd probably be better off finding breakfast at a local diner. Regarding the service, the folks running the place were nice and accommodating. My only complaint was that when I checked in I got charged extra for having a third person in my room, even though my reservation already reflected a price for three people and the prices on hotels.com were all quoted with three people. If the price was going to be different based on 2 vs. 3 occupancy, it should have said so when I initially made my reservation when I first indicated that I had three people.
2 night family trip Dec 19, 2014
"Good for the price"
Comfy beds. Friendly staff. Extra r space for desk is nice. Bathroom only area needing more comfort with softer towels and better water spray. Overall good value
Other trip Dec 8, 2014
"I'd come back"
Nice room.. Bed is pretty comfortable.. Pretty clean... Pretty close to a lot of beaches and attractions like Monterey bay aquarium.
"Unwilling to help"
The hotel itself was fine (though a little dark and uninviting), and the breakfast was simple but appreciated. However, we had some problems with the management. When we checked in to the room, we told the manager that we wanted to change the reservation, and the manager checked us in and told us to call expedia; after calling expedia, they called the hotel management to try to change the reservation (expedia said only the hotel could accept the change) and the management refused because we had already checked in. Thus we were charged for the entirety of our stay even though we had told the management we wanted to check out early before checking in! Very misleading and manipulative! Luckily expedia graciously offered to cover the difference, leaving us responsible only for a change fee. Thanks expedia! DO NOT RECOMMEND.
"Red roof disappointment"
Very small room, thread bare towels and very cheap soap was provided. The description said breakfast was included, that was coffee and toast or sweet roll. We will definitely not return here.
2 night romance trip Nov 12, 2014
"Relaxing Stay"
We stayed in the family suite and loved that it was spacious and had a jetted tub. This room also has a large secluded patio perfect for hanging out in the cool evenings.
1 night romance trip Oct 2, 2014
Honeymooners
"on Fremont street which is close to everything."
Stayed 2 nights in 2 different rooms. The first room was near busy road and it was very noisy. Carpet was very old and needed replacing. Walls needed to be repainted. Had to unplug refrigerator at night because it was very noisy. The second night we stayed in another room at considerably rate. The room was much bigger and away from the main road. The hotel really has to do some renovations such as replacing rugs and repainting and it would be highly recommended.
1 night trip Sep 11, 2014
The room smelled sour and was disgusting. The carpet looked filthy and the room just felt dirty. The bathroom was not much better. The toilet had stains in it and the towels were not even useable. They looked old and yellowish. I would NEVER stay here again or recommend this hotel to anyone.
2 night trip Sep 9, 2014
"OK for the price, a mid-range motel"
The hotel was clean and the room was nice. We just slept there for one night and I usually look for a basic but comfortable room. The location is not the best but it is close to the majority of other hotels/motels in Monterey. The most disappointing part was the breakfast: as other reviewers have pointed out it is very minimal, a couple of cereals, bread with jam and peanut butter, boiled eggs, tea, coffee and supermarket danish. Since the offer is minimal I think at least the quality should be decent, but here the items are really of the cheapest quality, the toaster toasts only on one side so people kept turning the slices and get them burned on the side that got toasted twice setting off the alarm several times just in the short time I was there. The coffee tasted awful and the danish were straight out of the supermarket box. My suggestion is that with a $5 price increase, a few tables and a little more effort you can offer your guests a much better breakfast experience that will reflect positively on the entire stay. Since your space is limited just offer a few but quality items. If not, than do not include breakfast at all, remember that breakfast is the last experience before people leave your facility and it's the last impression they have of your business!
1 night trip Aug 31, 2014
Valb
"No frills hotel."
Clean and convenient. No frills at all...thin towels, one bar of soap, packet of shampoo, mini breakfast ( jars or pb&j for everyone to use). Worked for us as we were just stopping over for one night and needed a place to sleep.
1 night family trip Jul 28, 2014
"Nice room and nice poeple at the front desk"
I left my Ipad in the hotel room. The management shipped the Ipad to me for $25. I really appreciated this. I would definitely stay there again.
2 night trip Jul 11, 2014
Porter
"Not far from downtown Monterey"
Very helpful desk staff, was happy to get this room at the last minute when going to Big Sur on a whim!
Other trip May 25, 2014
"Good enough for me"
The hotel itself was good. If I were to compare it to the nicer hotels out there that I've experienced it obviously couldn't compare. However for the price and the purpose of our stay it was perfect. My girlfriend and I were traveling along the California coast and would stay in different hotels every night. So I wasn't expecting anything glamorous. The staff was very helpful and very friendly. The price was fair in my opinion. The only thing I didn't like was the surrounding neighborhood, but that isn't the hotels fault. It all depends on what you expect.. worked for me and I'd stay there again if I needed to.
2 night romance trip May 2, 2014
"Stay Away"
Do not stay here! Rooms are tiny, all the water (toilet, shower and sink) is brown! Also, getting extra towels is worse than pulling teeth from the worst behaved 6 year old.
3 night trip May 2, 2014
"great place to stay before fishing"
The rooms arent as nice as they look on hotels.com, however they were good for an overnight stay before going salmon fishing. Excellent price point for a pet freindly hotel. $10 a night for pets was also a added bonus! All in all, I would stay again.
1 night trip Apr 28, 2014
Tamara
"Simple comfortable rm about 15 min. from Monterey"
The staff is very friendly and accommodating. The decor is very basic, no wall decorations and not enough light. One desk lamp and 1 night stand light. Needed a light near the full length mirror/closet.
Other trip Apr 28, 2014
This property was not well maintained Even the small details like towels were much to be desired. The towels were rough and not suitable for after showering.( Small and dinghy) There was someone else' hair left in the bathroom on floor and sink area. The neighborhood and the property itself was not great. On the property itself there were several vehicles that looked like junk vechicles. We wondered if someone were living in some of these RV's or whatever they were.
1 night trip Apr 10, 2014
J and J
"fair accommodations"
Everything was nice, my room very clean, in room coffee and micro/frig worked. Should have had HBO or Showtime, no Jacuzzi was a disappointment, that will be a must have next time. Good restaurants nearby, recommend "Breakfast Club".
3 night trip Apr 10, 2014
"Horrible hotel"
Dirty, chipped paint. Door lock was broken when we arrived. Hotel staff were rude.
Other trip Apr 8, 2014
stephanie
"Had to leave"
The family was very kind at check in unfortunately, the rooms were older and dank. We left after a few minutes.
4 night family trip Mar 28, 2014
"just terrible"
Room was tiny, bed felt like sleeping on a dromedary camel's back, and there was mold all over the bathroom. You could smell it from the front door! Shower didn't work well either. At least the location was convenient.
1 night business trip Mar 22, 2014
"Good for the price."
Just a quick drive away from the water and much cheaper than alternative hotels on cannery row. I would recommend for anyone trying to get away for the weekend on a budget.
Other trip Mar 19, 2014
Amber
"Close to beach"
I ordered a suite and got the opposite. And I had to pay 80.00 more for a suite and they only had 1 left. And bed had ants I will never refer this hotel to anyone.
Other trip Mar 17, 2014
Over powering smell of curry in the hallways. All the hallway doors were being left open to clear the smell. Hot tub boarded over-looked like it hadn't been working for a long time. Breakfast not restocked.
1 night trip Feb 20, 2014
"Going home."
My only real complaint is the back of the door was dirty and beat up. The ceiling over the shower was also dirty and beat up. I never went to the breakfast. The location and room was ok.
2 night business trip Jan 17, 2014
TP
"Not thrilled"
Told staff about black stuff floating in the bath tub. Hot tub was broken. Almost had to hug wall to get out of bed on my side
Other trip Jan 19, 2014
"The low price belies the comfort and cleanliness"
Excellent accommodations; easy drive to Monterey Bay Aquarium. I highly recommend this motel for cleanliness, comfort and helpfulness of staff. Liked having a refrigerator in the room along with coffee-maker and Wi-Fi.
Other trip Dec 28, 2013
n/a
Other trip Dec 2, 2013
Very clean, staff nice. Also we didn't hear any of the other guests.
Other trip Dec 1, 2013
L
good experience but not enough towels and didn't receive a email of my bill like i was told i would by the front desk. but i would stay here again
Other trip Nov 25, 2013
"I love This hotel !!"
Its was great ! When I go here to monterey im staying here from now on ! Wonderful room ,very clean , great wifi ,lovely amenities nice and quite hotel !! Friendly staff !!
Other trip Nov 9, 2013
Diandra
"I love This hotel !!"
Other trip Nov 9, 2013
Diandra
For the most part the hotel was pleasant, the only draw back is that there were not enough electrical outlets and as a result we had to make coffee in the bathroom. My husband had to crawl on his hands and knees to plug in the computer very inconvenient. Most hotels have lamps that have electrical outlets in the base to provide additional access to electricity to plug in chargers of all types. Having to use the restroom plugs was also inconvenient.
Other trip Nov 7, 2013
roriru
"First experience of Red Roof"
We had never stayed in a Red Roof before. Very well presented and well designed. We had a number of practical, tecnical problems with the room which I pointed out to the reception desk before we left so that they could be put right for others. I got a really bad response! 1. It was my fault because I should have reppotred it at the time. 2. It was the housekeeper's fault because she should chek everything is working. 3. There could be no compensation because I had booked through Expedia. I put in their comment card, stating the above, as near as I remember, and the manager offered a second night free. We payed to stay a few miles down the road. (Turned out the receptionist was the manager's wife.)
Other trip Oct 26, 2013
Keith
Not great but not bad at all. Very adequate - especially if you don't need to stay in the room for long periods of time. Beds were a bit soft for my taste and there was a large stain on the carpet at the entrance of the door. There was a larger than usual refrigerator and it was close to places to eat which was nice.
1 night trip Oct 12, 2013
dawn
"Abbotts at the Red Roof"
I was sorry to hear that Hotels.com did not tell them that I had a dog. Lucky for me the Manager moved some reservations around so we could stay there. They are in the process of upgrading rooms and we got one that was completed. That are small but OK for a night or two.
1 night trip Oct 12, 2013
Abbott
"Not a pleasant stay:"
I got here and there room was a mess. First the floor/carpet was a completely soaked. Not sure if it was a leak or what. I tried calling the front desk and they said wait until the morning and it should dry. There was probably a leak or something because when I got up in the morning, more of the floor was wet. Drainage in the bathroom was not very good. Room layout is very strange where u can't even watch TV if you are working on the desk. There is no Nfl network or premium cable channels. Wouldn't stay here again . Overpriced compared to other options in the area.
2 night business trip Sep 25, 2013
"rudest staff I've ever encountered"
Clean room and a good location for getting around the area. The staff was unbelievably rude. This was a last minute booking late in the evening and I left early the next morning. I'm a business traveler and deal with many different chains on a regular basis. This was by far the absolute worst. Sadly, it was the only room available in the area so I was stuck with the choice. Would not recommend under any circumstances until they learn the meaning of respect and customer service.
1 night trip with friends Sep 20, 2013
I was expecting a decent hotel but this was below what I was expecting. First is the room design was very poor. It was nice they had a desk but It was in a separate room, which does not allow you to watch TV and work on the table at the same time. Next is my drainage in the shower was horrible. My water would constantly be backed up and would take complete your drain until I was out of there. Then the customer service at the front desk, was very poor. The person in charge on more than one occasion seemed angry that I booked online and not through the hotel directly by making comments and all. Don't think I would stay here again.
1 night business trip Sep 23, 2013
"Surley workers"
The blanket was stained. The room smelled. The bathroom was poorly cleaned. The guy who checked us in was very surley. I did not get my requested receipt. The office was closed until 7:30am. We had to leave at 6am to get to our boat trip. Only good thing was that it was only 10 minutes from the dock. The room was way overpriced. I will not stay here again.
1 night trip Sep 14, 2013
Birdman
"Not perfect but not bad."
The room was very nice, spacious and very comfortable. Hot tub would have been nice but it was out of order :/ People were nice and welcoming. There was tevhnically a breakfast but there was probably 4 store baught danishes, some bread & jelly.. not the best but at leads there was SOMETHING. Another perk was thst it was in close walking range from Monterey Lanes bowling alley, CVS, and plenty of restaurants. Overall I would say it was very enjoyable but I was dissapointed with the hot tub and breakfast.
1 night business trip Sep 13, 2013
"We'd come back"
We were there for a wedding at 'Lover's Point' so we just needed a home base ... This motel was fine ... Parking is very tight, lots of people with dogs, and there was a Carnival Ferris Wheel across the street that stayed open pretty late. ... But for what we needed, it was fine.
1 night trip Aug 31, 2013
Old Couple
WE had a good stay, it was all very satisfactory
4 night trip Aug 15, 2013
"Wouldn't stay here again"
Parking was adquate and free. that's always nice. Older hotel. The room was clean, although the bedspread had a couple stains. Blankets were vellux, were worn and had holes. Only 2 pillows per bed and they were pretty flat. We had four adults in the room, but were only given 3 bath towels, 2 washcloths, 2 hand towels and 1 tiny shampoo each day. So, had to ask for more. Old toilet, stopped up easily. Called for plunger, she came to door, handed it to us, then made a hasty escape. No call to make sure things were okay.
Other trip Jul 28, 2013
"Convenient, but a little run down."
Rooms were a little run down. No blankets or decent comforters provided. Asked for extra towels, which we never received. Towels were the roughest, scratchiest cloth imaginable. TV operation was very odd. On/Off switch added to bottom of TV, remote wouldn't turn it on or off. No smoking facility, with no outside designated smoking areas. Continental breakfast very limited, with awful coffee. Parking was very tight. Overall 2 Stars is being generous.
2 night trip Jul 19, 2013
"Dependable economy"
This hotel is recently upgraded in and out. Not fancy, but rooms are larger than nearby Super8. Staff is accommodating. With all of the upgrades, however, we were disappointed that we couldn't hook our own DVD player into the new flat screen TV, so we were stuck watching cable in the evenings.The area is very quiet, and close to the main drag to all of our destinations. You get what you pay for, but not less. We have stayed here 4 or 5 times.
2 night family trip Jul 7, 2013
Lorraine
"Not a bad place to stay for a day or two"
I didnt mind staying here even though it was not on the beachfront, like I would have liked, but the price was affordable.
1 night trip Jun 15, 2013