All hotels in Fort McMurray, Alberta, Canada
8200 Franklin Ave, Fort Mcmurray, AB, T9H2H9, Canada, ‏‎800-491-6126

"Nothing special and reasonable."
It's your basic 3 star place. Clean, comfortable, location is downtown, but the town is long strip. You'll be at the car dealer end. Other than the burrito joint across the street and the strip club a block away, you're going to be driving.
Response by Merit Hotel & Suites
Thank you for your comments Mr John. Enjoy your beautiful town of San Diego!
2 night trip Jun 13, 2014
John B
"A Great place to stay"
Its a great place to stay in. Employees r really friendly ei. i was waiting for the elevator and janitor was blocking one of the elevator and cleaning stuffs was there. when he saw me and asked me whether i want go up or not, he simply take out his cart and said you can go sir. i will take the next one. Everything is great and i simply wish they had offered breakfast with the hotel cost! its kind of hustle and little exp to stay without a breakfast given. So overall 4 star for me, breakfast included would have make it a 5 star*
Response by Merit Hotel & Suites
Dear Guest. Thank you for your most positive comments.Rest assured that your compliments have gladly been shared with the entire team and we do look forward to welcoming you soon again to our hotel. Michel Joncas General Manager
2 night business trip Oct 20, 2013
imrahman
"Good Business Man Hotel"
Good to stay while on a business trip. No frills.
3 night business trip Apr 23, 2013
"pricey for what u get"
had to stay here for one night nothing else available in town, i thought it was quite expensive for a room with an outdated fridge/ microwave/ tube tv. the tv was ancient only basic channels and some of them were fuzzy and making weird noises.
1 night business trip Jan 28, 2013
ray

"My Merit stay."
Very impressed. This hotel- room spotless, service good, Wifi connection easy, quiet, staff friendly & helpful, location was great, right downtown. I would stay here again, and would recommend it to others. Thank you.
1 night trip with friends Aug 20, 2015
Jacqueline
"Not recommended..."
We had an awful 5-day stay. On arrival, the room was 23.5 degrees C, and when we turned on the AC, the room didn’t cool. We spoke with the front desk the next morning, who said it would be fixed later that day. We returned that evening to find the room still 23 degrees C, as they hadn't bothered to turn it on after they "fixed" it. It seemed to work, struggling to cool to barely comfortable, and very noisy. The beds were fitted with thin sheets and old, tired comforters, which were barely adequate. The TV was nice, but the programming was pitiful and lacking in any good prime-time shows. The next morning my wife was awoken by the chambermaid who bustled in and threw opened the drapes, despite the “do not disturb” sign on the door! The following evening we returned to find the covers on the bed were sloppily replaced, the floor hadn’t been vacuumed, and some kind of beetle-type bugs crawling in various places. The toilet did not flush well, and often needed a second flush. When it finally plugged, the handyman cleared it with a plunger, it still didn’t work well after he “fixed” it. The hotel amenities were well-lacking as well. The indoor pool was drained and closed, and the hot tub could be better described as a “warm chemical bath”, due to the barely heated and over-treated water. The entire tub had a ring around it, which I only noticed after I’d turned on the jets and entered! Generally speaking, we had a very poor stay at this hotel, and would not recommend it.
Response by Merit Hotel & Suites
We are very sorry to hear that you had such an unfavorable stay with is. Your comments will be shared with our team so that we can use them to improve the experience we offer our guests.
5 night family trip May 18, 2015
"Not good"
The lady at the front desk not help fall at all would not stop there again
Response by Merit Hotel & Suites
We are very sorry to hear that you found the service you received to be lacking. 1st class customer service is something this hotel is well known for, but unfortunately we fell short with your experience. Your comments will be shared with our team so that it can be used to better the experience we provide to our guests.
1 night trip with friends May 16, 2015
"rudeness rules"
Front desk guys were rude.
Response by Merit Hotel & Suites
Were very sorry to hear you had an unfavorable service experience. Great customer service is a focus and pride point of our hotel. Unfortunately we seem to have fallen short as was your experience. We will share your comments with our team so that they can be used to better improve the experiences we provide to our guests.
1 night trip Mar 21, 2015
PATRICK
I have stayed numerous times at this hotel. Overall had good experience
Response by Merit Hotel & Suites
Thanks for your review, we look forward to hosting you again should your travels see you return to the region.
Other trip May 6, 2015
It was good. Staff was great. It was a great room and surprised of the condition
Response by Merit Hotel & Suites
Thank you for your review. We hope to have the opportunity to host you again should your travels see you returning to the region.
Other trip May 5, 2015
"Not pleased with the money part"
The stay was great we did not have to check out until 1pm Thank you BUT you charged our card on Apr. 19/2015 for $324.82 for two nights, but we cancel one night so Apr. 24/2015 you credited our card for $161.87 which was fine (I have never been charged for a room before we even stay there). When checked in on Apr. 25/2015 we told the clerk we had been charged already for the room, he then showed us the letter with a note and marked it with yellow pen that it was not paid for?????? I then told him again it was charged to our card. So paid them on Apr. 26/2015. So could please credit us with $162.95. Should not have for pay something you have not used or brought?????? THANK YOU
Response by Merit Hotel & Suites
Were glad to hear you enjoyed your stay apart from the payment issue. All has been resolved and the incidental/damage deposit hold has been released.
1 night family trip Apr 25, 2015
"Decent. Reasonable value for FM"
Overnight business trip. Near a seedy strip club but safe parking. Reasonably comfortable and clean room. Breakfast was not included. It's adequate and ok. Clean.
Response by Merit Hotel & Suites
Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback. We hope to have the opportunity to host you again in the near future.
1 night business trip Apr 23, 2015
"Hotel convenient, close to downtown"
Enjoyed the hotel for its location (and walkability) to downtown. We needed a child's playpen (for infant sleeping) and one was made available and brought to the room immediately. Front receptionist was very helpful.
Other trip Apr 22, 2015
Pat.
Good overall. Hotel was well located and easy to get to from the airport. Having your own car is essential as the attractions (seeing the Northern Lights and visiting the Tar Sands Oil production locations) means you need your own transport. Town itself is dusty and I probably would not go there in winter as it gets down to minus thirty degrees centigrade, apparently, but we went in April and the snow had stopped a week before and the weather was mild (zero to 20 range for 3 days). Mike
Other trip Apr 19, 2015
Stayed for 2 days,room was very nice. Front desk was excellent,only complaint was cleaning staff did not do a very good job cleaning for the second day
Response by Merit Hotel & Suites
Thanks for your review Dave, glad you enjoyed the hotel overall. I'ts surprising to hear your room was not cleaned to your satisfaction the second day as our first class housekeeping team is one of the prides of the hotel. We will certainly share your comments with our team as this feedback is most valuable. Thanks and hope to see you again soon.
Other trip Apr 12, 2015
"Pleasant staff and clean hotel"
Enjoyed the friendly front desk staff. Rooms were clean , temp. Easily controlled, and comfortable beds! No need to order food as nice restaurant on site with room service . Great job , Merit Hotels!
Response by Merit Hotel & Suites
Thanks for your review Louise, its great to hear you loved everything about our hotel! We hope to see you again very soon.
Other trip Apr 10, 2015
Louise
Good but for a quiet room ask for one at the back of the hotel.
Other trip Apr 8, 2015
"heart beat of down town"
Good place to rest after a long days work or a long drive in the hear of Down town away from Uptown
Response by Merit Hotel & Suites
Dear Guest, Thank you for the great review of our hotel! We are glad that you enjoyed your stay and that we were able to provide you with a relaxing place after a long days work. We hope to see you again very soon. Sincerely,
2 night trip Mar 20, 2015
Nice Hotel, very clean staff was friendly and helpful. Would recommend this hotel to others
Response by Merit Hotel & Suites
Thanks Doug! Appreciate your review & kind comments about our hotel! We are glad that you enjoyed your stay and hope to see you again very soon next time your in Fort Mac!. Sincerely,
2 night business trip Mar 17, 2015
Doug
"Quiet and Comfy"
A quick spur of the moment weekend trip to visit family. Chose this hotel because it was several blocks from busy streets in a quieter area of downtown. It did not disappoint - only thing not working was one of the elevators and I assume that will be fixed this week.
Response by Merit Hotel & Suites
Dear Guest, Thank you for review of our hotel We are glad that we did not disappoint! :) You are correct, the elevator incident was isolated, it has since been fixed once a part required arrived from Edmonton. Glad you enjoyed your stay and hope to see you again very soon. Sincerely,
2 night family trip Mar 13, 2015
Friendly and helpful staff. Clean comfortable rooms.
Response by Merit Hotel & Suites
Dear Guest, Thank you for the great review of our hotel! We are glad that you enjoyed your stay and hope to see you again very soon. Sincerely, Nuwan.E General Manager
Other trip Mar 10, 2015
"Had a very comfortable sleep, underground parking"
My overall stay was great, hotel has seen a bit of wear and tear needs some updating. Gym facility in rough shape.
Other trip Mar 9, 2015
"Great Service - Clean and Quite"
Great service, Staff was very friendly I stayed over month and I don't have any complains
12 night business trip Feb 8, 2015
"Comfortable and clean"
A little excessive music noise on Saturday night is my only complaint.
Response by Merit Hotel & Suites
Dear Guest, Thank you for the great review of our hotel! We are glad that you enjoyed your stay and hope to see you again very soon and glad to hear that all other aspects of your stay apart from some noise met your expectations! Sincerely, Nuwan.E General Manager
Other trip Mar 1, 2015
Michele
"Good location in Fort Mac."
We had a very pleasant stay and the staff was extremely courteous and obliging. Only hicup - the restaurant wait time for food - quite long.
Other trip Feb 18, 2015
Maureen
"Quick Trip, comfortable stay"
I stayed for two nights in Ft. McMurray. It was -24 so I spent most of my time in the hotel room. It was quiet, the beds were very comfortable. I had an executive King Suite which was lovely.
Other trip Feb 10, 2015
avid traveller
"Fort Mac Merit"
Room was average everything was in good shape but the cleaning staff always missed something.
Response by Merit Hotel & Suites
Thank you for your feed back. Your comments will be reviewed with our team so that we can endeavor to provide a better experience.
10 night business trip Jan 19, 2015
"Average hotel"
Waited one hour at hotel restaurant for breakfast. Didn't return (bought groceries and ate breakfast in the room.) Hotel could use some repairs to walls in common areas. Rooms were clean and staff was friendly.
Response by Merit Hotel & Suites
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We are pleased that you found the staff to be friendly and will share your comments with the restaurant team. We hope to welcome you back to our hotel very soon! Sincerely, Nuwan.E General Manager
Other trip Jan 17, 2015
Inspector
"Hello"
Good stay and clean room didn't like the idea of having to use card to use elevator, when u have visitors u have to come down to main floor to let them in.
Response by Merit Hotel & Suites
Thank you for your review. I'm glad you enjoyed your stay. Unfortunately Fort Mac being what it is, the elevator key access is a necessary security feature to ensue the safety of our guests.
1 night trip Dec 5, 2014
kevin
I stayed on business trip at Merit hotel. I liked the hotel: the staff was pleasant, my room was clean and quiet. The hotel had underground parking.
Other trip Dec 8, 2014
traveller
"Downtown location"
The Merit was a great choice for location. Close to all amenities. Booked a 1 bedroom suite with kitchenette. Nice sitting area with pullout sofa bed. 2 flat panel TVs Large bedroom with 2 Queen beds. Great comfort. Super clean and Seattles Best coffee to boot. Bathroom was on the small side but neat and tidy. Defiantly will stay again on my next trip to Fort McMurray Ab.
Response by Merit Hotel & Suites
Dear Guest, Thank you for the great review of our hotel! We are glad that you enjoyed your stay and enjoyed the many attributes of our property and rooms! We hope to see you again very soon. Sincerely, Nuwan.E General Manager
Other trip Oct 14, 2014
Chuck
"One of the best deals in Fort McMurray."
This hotel is one of the cheaper places I was able to find in Fort McMurray. Positives: The room was clean and large and the bed was very comfortable. The bathroom was clean and the toiletries were restocked each day of my stay with quality products. The TV was decent with a fairly standard selection of channels. Negatives: The in hotel dining is not great and is quite expensive for what you get. I had the chicken wings and onion rings and while both were edible neither were anywhere close to the quality of a chain like Original Joes where the prices are if anything a little cheaper. They both seemed of the quality you get from a supplier like Bridge Brand and not made in house. The location is also quite out of the way for most people coming into the town for meetings and the like. It would take a cab ride to get to the central business district of downtown and this hotel is more in an industrial type of area. All in all I am pleased. The place was clean, quiet, and the service was great. There are hotels I have stayed in in Fort McMurray that I will admit I like a little more, but their slight improvements are not worth their larger price tag.
Response by Merit Hotel & Suites
Dear Guest, Thank you for the great review of our hotel! We are glad that you enjoyed your stay and hope to see you again very soon. We will be sure to share your concerns about the food selection with our restaurant lease partners! Sincerely, Nuwan.E General Manager
Other trip Sep 7, 2014
MynameisnotPete
"Merit Hotel"
Okay
2 night business trip Aug 28, 2014
N/A
"Nice place to stay, however"
This is a nice place for a first timer in Fort McMurray like myself as it was accross the street from my new employer Keyano. The rooms are comfortable and right accross the street from a convenience store. The resturant was pricy but good, maybe a discount for guests would be an added touch. There was a young man who worked nights was extremely helpful as my wife and daughters and my own luggage was delayed. However, when I asked if the shuttle could take me to walmart to get a change of clothes for my wife, daughter and I the young lady was not so helpful, "call a cab" was the reply. Most all hotels in a city will provide a shuttle to and from the airport, and in cases of emergency such as this. The young ladies there at the desk were not friendly, the young man was new only 2 months there, new ! But the young ladies could take some lessons from him.
Response by Merit Hotel & Suites
Hi Joseph, were glad to that overall you enjoyed the hotel. To address the service issue regarding the shuttle, this can attributed to communication failure. Our hotel itself does not operate our own shuttle, due to the infrequency with which it is utilized. As such we use and a third party company that exclusively provides shuttle service to the airport alone. This is why the shuttle could not be used for a special trip.
Other trip Aug 31, 2014
joseph
"Not bad. Solid 3 star hotel"
Needs to include breakfast-- like everywhere else in FM.
1 night business trip Aug 28, 2014
"Great room design for a working visit"
A quiet nights rest with a good breakfast at the attached restaurant.
1 night business trip Aug 19, 2014
Don
"Great staff"
Great staff. I was able to check in early with their help. I will stay there again on my next trip.
Other trip Aug 14, 2014
"Good hotel"
Clean and good condition, bed appeared to be comfortable. Underground parking was nice feature and at no extra charge
Response by Merit Hotel & Suites
"Just minutes away from the tittybar"
I was pretty wasted there. So don't remever much. But it seemed nice. I'll probably go back
Other trip Jul 15, 2014
jason
"Big Concern: $300.00 deposit on prepaid rooms!"
Convenient and good value for the money. Guest should be cautioned about the $300.00 deposit.
Response by Merit Hotel & Suites
I'm glad that you found the hotel to be convenient and good value overall. Regarding the $300 deposit, it actually is not a deposit in that no actual charge is applied to your credit card. It is however processed as a pre-auth hold on your card (please check with your Credit Card issuing bank if you would like more information on the difference between Hotel charges and pre-auth holds) that reserves the $300 to be applied against any incidental charges such as Room Service, Laundry etc... as well as a damage deposit. This is a standard practice in this region among full service hotels.
Other trip Jul 8, 2014
"Question the use of damage deposits from customers"
My wife and I travel with a service dog to provide assistance to enable her to walk rather than being in a wheelchair or using a cane. As you can guess, the dog is large as it provides her balance and helps to pull her forward. The front desk was completely uninformed about service dogs or the law associated with them. At first it appeared that they were going to deny us access to the hotel. The clerk spent several minutes on the phone with her manager discussing the service dog. We felt as though we were second class citizens who should be using the back door rather than the front. The clerk advised that this was the first time they had ever encountered a service dog and there appeared to be no policy with respect to such an event. we were then told we had to put down a $300.00 deposit for the time we stayed at the hotel. The clerk indicated that everyone was required to make the same deposit. I later found out that this is only applied to those who have not previously booked at the hotel. A senior businessman related to my wife that he had to pay the same deposit. We also found out that a group of young men who had stayed previously did not have to pay this deposit. Since we are middle age, I don't think that we are likely to have wild parties. On a positive note the restaurant staff were extremely pleasant and sincerely wished that we would come back again. I would probably go back to the restaurant and lounge but not the hotel.
2 night trip Jun 25, 2014
Gord Shaw
"One night stay, mid week for business"
Fast and friendly check in/out. The room was clean and well appointed. I'll stay there again on my next trip.
Response by Merit Hotel & Suites
Thanks for your review & look forward to seeing you next time your travels bring you to Fort McMurray.
Other trip Jun 26, 2014
Ed
"Friendly staff, clean room"
The air conditioning is a problem--VERY noisy and VERY ineffective. The room was stifling so hard to get any sleep.
Response by Merit Hotel & Suites
Dear Karen, we are so sorry you did not enjoy your stay at the Merit due to the air conditioning. We appreciate your kind words on our cleanness and our staff. Next time please report this immediately we will be able to upgrade you or change your room and fix the AC. We appreciate your comments. Hope to see you again on your next visit.
Other trip Jun 20, 2014
"Too expensive hotel"
I went to Fort Mc Murray for education about the Oil Sands. And I'm not satisfied to payed so much money for accomodation. I recommand travellers to contact the Tourism Office a longtime before a trip to receive better choices.
Response by Merit Hotel & Suites
Dear guest, thank you for your comments, unfortunately even if you call a longtime before a trip to receive better choices, the fact is very simple, if you come on week days all hotels are on top demand, so unless you wish to pay for a motel which is very far from the hotel's quality and unless you come on week-ends and during summer, you will be facing the same reality!
Other trip Jun 15, 2014
"Noisy Room and Un-Caring Front Desk Staff"
Not worth the cost of the room. The air conditioner was extremely noisy and couldn't be turned off. Worst sleep in a long time. When I mentioned this to the front desk staff she was more concerned about checking her phone.
Response by Merit Hotel & Suites
Dear Dan, we are sorry that you did not enjoy your experience during your stay with us, you are right in fact you can not turn off the air conditioner on the unit, you need to use the thermostat on the wall, very easy procedure there is a function off that you can use. On your next visit we can show you how it works. For the front desk staff answering the phone, it is very important for us to answer the phone and put the person on hold while answering other customers demand at the same time. We are well known for our front desk staff to be very customer oriented, so we are sorry that the front desk did not leave up to your expectation.
1 night trip Jun 2, 2014
"Unfortunate Timing"
Stayed for 1 night when there was a fire alarm at 2:30 am. Other than that, the room was very clean although had a bit of a funny smell. Staff were pleasant. Nothing special, but okay overall.
Response by Merit Hotel & Suites
Dear Chantal, we are sorry for the fire alarm at 2h30, unfortunately a guest burn her popcorn and the smoke set the fire alarm!. I am glad despite this unfortunate event you have enjoyed your stay. Hope to see soon again.
Other trip May 29, 2014
Chantal
"Good place to stay"
This is Fort McMurray, so it is a different world. The Merit is a nice place to stay, Pearl at the front desk always makes my visit. She is friendly and remembers my name. Underground parking is great in the winter. This is my usual hotel when in Fort Mac.
Response by Merit Hotel & Suites
Thank you Curtis for your kind words. I will make sure Pear sees your comment. You are right, Fort McMurray is a different world but with friendly people! Hope to welcome you again very soon!
1 night business trip May 6, 2014
It was a relaxing and comfortable stay, to bad the hot tub and pool were in the midst of switching to salt water looking forward to staying again soon.
Response by Merit Hotel & Suites
Thank you Teresa for your comment. Good news, the salt water pool and Spa should be ready to go by the end of May. So next time you come, don't forget to bring your bathing suit.
2 night business trip May 2, 2014
Teresa
"Room Not Made Up"
I stayed for two nights. When I returned for the second night, the room was not made up. I complained about it when I check out the next morning, but nothing was done. **On the first night the fire alarm went off at 4 am. All hotel quests had to leave the hotel until 6 am...I heard it was a vehicle in the underground that caught fire. The good news is that their fire alarm worked very well. A safe place to stay from that point of view.
Response by Merit Hotel & Suites
Dear guest. Sorry for the alarm, kind of out of our control. About your room not being clean, unfortunately when you leave a Do Not Disturb sign at you door , we do not enter, so that what happen in your case. We are very proud of our housekeeping department and we are again sorry for the misunderstanding.
Other trip May 1, 2014
"Great hotel for a visit to Fort MacMurray"
Great stay and was able to visit with friends in the small sitting area. Room was clean and the beds were very comfortable. Staff very friendly and accommodating. Would stay here again.
Response by Merit Hotel & Suites
Thank you so much for your nice comments. I will definitely share your appraisals with all our staff. Hope to welcome you again !
Other trip Apr 29, 2014