All hotels in Newport, Rhode Island, United States of America
337 Thames St, Newport, RI, 02840, United States of America, ‏‎800-491-6126

4.8
"Clean and comfortable but didn't go the extra mile"
Pleasantly surprised. I had a few choices for a winter getaway in Newport but picked here bc The Marriott was booked, Hyatt was too far a walk in the cold and a few similar options (Vanderbuilt, Viking) charged resort fees/parking fees even in winter, which added $30 on to the cost. free parking at the Bay Club and the winter rates were good for the size of the room. Biggest flaw with Bay Club is that hotel was not at all flexible with early check in/late check out. We had a couple things that we were doing which required us to change outfits in a nearby bathroom because we were told they 'don't do' early/late checkouts. Checkout time is 11 a.m. and check in was after 3 p.m. This put a damper things. Even noon would have been better. Beyond that, the rooms were comfortable/rennovated. They felt classy/modern with exposed aged wood ceilings and soothing neutral colors. The bed was very comfortable ... each room had a kitchenette and separate bedroom/living room area. Bathroom was great with a big glass walk-in shower and great water pressure. Everything was sparkling clean. The only other negative I'd point out is that our room seemed to be above the bar/restaurant because it smelled very strongly of canned tuna fish at times and then others smelled like burnt toast. The tuna smell was pretty offputting ... also, we could hear music through the floor early in the morning and LOTS and LOTS of banging starting around 6 a.m. Loud bangs which woke us up.
1 night romance trip Dec 20, 2014
"Great location but hotel isn't great"
Pros: Location - it is in the middle of everything! Noise level - the building is old and seems to have great soundproofing. We were on the 2nd floor and the hotel . Parking - next to building and it's free Bathrooms - large and updated. Just wish they could have included a box of tissues. Cons: Front desk - serious attitude. In addition, only 1 person is available to check-in people and answer the phones,. This resulted in over a 10 min wait. Also, I had requested a rollaway bed and woman told me there wasn't one available. I told her who I spoke with, when I spoke with them, and that I had received confirmation and she said she'd see what she could do. Rollaway bed/sofa bed. The rollaway did show up eventually - with sheets only (no pillow/blanket) and foam sticking out of the places where the mattress was no longer intact. The sofa bed simply needs to be replaced - it's terrible. In addition, when we pulled the cushions off, we found dirty tissues. Heating - was ridiculous. The room was just cold and the fan that circulates the heat made everything colder. There is a refrigerator, dishwasher and plates/utensils for 4 but nothing else (i.e. cutting boards, paper towels, sharp knives) so the "kitchen" is limited. "Breakfast" consists of individually wrapped pastries, apples, oranges and bananas Would we stay here again? Possibly, the location can't be beat and the room is good sized however we'll look at other options when we return.
Other trip Dec 24, 2014
"Tis the season."
If you want to avoid the crowds, find great deals, not have to worry about restaurant reservations and be right in the middle of Newport then off-season (particularly early Dec) is the time to go. We had a great stay at the Newport Bay Club -- couldn't ask for a better location. Room was very large, clean and comfortable. Staff was very helpful.
Other trip Dec 16, 2014
music from the bar below could be heard but was not bad
Other trip Dec 15, 2014
"A welcome surprise"
The place was great - better than I expected, the duplex suite was incredible, with two decks and terrific views.
1 night business trip Dec 3, 2014
"nice and close to restaurants and shops"
We went for a girls' weekend to celebrate my sister's upcoming wedding. The 2 bedroom suite was a nice size for 6 of us. We enjoyed the location too. Just as a warning, the parking is only for one car and the continental breakfast was not much.
Other trip Nov 24, 2014
Christina
"Perfection"
I've stayed at thousands of hotels, this one blew my mind. First off its in the center of everything. Parked and walked very convenient. Secondly the staff were so pleasant. Now onto the best part, the room. Besides it being clean, the views from the balconies, were amazing. Even though it was cold, my boyfriend and I braved the cold and sat outside to watch the sunset over the water. The concept of the rooms are awesome. I could go on forever but this is the only hotel I will be staying at in Newport.
Victoria
Great downtown location. Right in the heart of Thames street. Very spacious rooms and very clean!
"Great location - Comfortable rooms"
Pleasantly surprised with size of room and amenities suitable for an extended stay. Lots to do within walking distance. Great location.
Other trip Nov 19, 2014
"Great room!"
All this place was missing was a stove and I could live in that room. It was spacious, clean, and very nice. +++++
Other trip Nov 18, 2014
"Nice Stay"
Excellent...off-season, few others in hotel, breakfast was ok, fruit, coffee, juice and pastries. Suite was quite large for 2. No complaints.
1 night romance trip Nov 12, 2014
"location, location, location"
Great location, friendly staff, comfortable suites that were recently renovated. The only downfall is paper-thin walls! Be prepared to REALLY get to know your neighbors, whether you want to or not.
2 night family trip Nov 14, 2014
"Our stay at Newport Bay Club and Hotel"
We had a very nice time. The suite was very clean, updated, roomy and comfortable. The hotel is in a nice, central location, within easy walking distance to the shops, bars, and restaurants in the downtown area. The hotel has several shops, and a nice bar and restaurant on the lower levels. The staff was friendly and helpful. We would definitely return.
2 night romance trip Oct 30, 2014
Lynn
"Expensive hotel that offers little"
I think that for the price we paid the breakfast was disgraceful. There was only a couple of yogurts, fruit, and minature buns. The coffee was good and there was only orange juice. One day I had to call the front desk because there was no yogurt left and that occured at 9am. The front desk told me they would look to see if they had anymore yogurt left. The rooms were comfortable and clean. But for &1300.00 for a four night stay the hotel could have provided a better breakfast. We will not stay there again. We visit Rhode Island ever fall for the past 4 yrs and have stayed at different hotels/bed n breakfast and we would go back to any of them except Newport Bay hotel.
4 night romance trip Sep 26, 2014
Carrie
perfect location, clean, plenty of space, friendly staff.
2 night family trip Oct 11, 2014
"Great hotel and perfect location."
I really enjoyed this hotel and will be staying again. The room has a nice setup and the location of the hotel is perfect to restaurants, bars and shopping. I would recommend this hotel.
Other trip Oct 19, 2014
"Close to everything"
Room was large & comfy. Great location. Staff was helpful. Parking was included. Overall great hotel.
Other trip Oct 16, 2014
jody
"Hotel in the heart of downtown."
Quick stay - hotel was conveniently located. Pleasant - clean. In the heart of downtown - lots going on at night so plan your sleep accordingly. Parking is limited but free and convenient.
Other trip Oct 14, 2014
"plenty of space"
The hotel staff we encountered made us feel welcome. The hotel is well located as almost everything is within walking distance. The one bedroom townhouse was more than spacious for two people and two bathrooms were a plus.
Other trip Oct 12, 2014
"Overlooking Newport Harbor"
Early fall stay. Excellent location, near restaurants and terrace overlooking Newport harbor. The room was clean, kitchenette functional and the staff was very helpful.
2 night romance trip Sep 15, 2014
Angus
Very nice property and location. Plenty of space and close to all attractions.
2 night romance trip Oct 3, 2014
"Pretty good"
The furniture is a little dated, but it's in a great location and the room has a ton of space.
2 night romance trip Sep 26, 2014
"Great location walk to everything"
only issue we had was room service never showed up to clean our room . We hung the service sign on the door by 9.00am and when we returned at 1.00 pm was not serviced . at 1.45 pm I asked a service person in the hall and she said she was the only one left and was leaving at 2.00 pm . I asked for some clean towels and went on my way .
Other trip Oct 2, 2014
Hotel is great
1 night business trip Sep 25, 2014
"Great Hotel-Staff???"
The hotel is beautiful. The staff was confused with the reservations and are very strict about not having early check in and extra parking. Also got charged twice for the room -(mix up..not entirely their fault) but make sure you are going to use the credit card that held the room to pay for the room.
Other trip Sep 29, 2014
pf
"A night visiting newport"
We visited newport for a 24 hour trip and splurged on one of the rooms on the top floor. The room was awesome - spiral staircase, 2 balconies. Comfy and it had a great view of the sunset. There were no crazy extravagances, but it was exactly what we needed
1 night trip Sep 22, 2014
"Fabulous room, great location!"
This is a charming small hotel right in e heart of historic downtown Newport. Our room was clean and very spacious, more like a charming apartment than a hotel room. It had a separate living room, dining room and full kitchen with granite countertops! there wa also a wonderful fitness facility, much better than most hotel provided facilities. Request a top floor to avoid having to hear the bar next door and early morning garbage pick up.
Other trip Sep 26, 2014
"Newport bay club is a great location but...."
location cant be beat! However, the beds are FULL size, the bedding is horrible as is the pillows. If you can get past that then your stay will be awesome! The rest of the room is fine, actually nice and the location is fantastic. We stayed for 4 nights and I couldn't wait to leave because I hadn't slept at all. I am not a high maintenance person, so I would imagine others would give similar reviews
2 night trip Sep 19, 2014
"Nice stay. Nice suite"
Maid service was loud in the morning. Bed very soft.
1 night trip Sep 18, 2014
Great stay great location large rooms wish we got a room with its own balcony but third floor public balcony still nice view will stay again reasonable price
2 night trip Sep 5, 2014
Eric L
"Great experience"
This hotel is located in the center of tourist district. The rooms (actually suites) are very comfortable, and recently updated. The Bathroom was nicely updated and ours had a big shower stall, more than sufficient for two people. If I return to Newport, I will definitely stay there again.
2 night romance trip Aug 27, 2014
"Awful Hotel"
Hotel room leaked from the ceiling. the air conditioning unit was so loud that it kept everybody up all night. I would not recommend this hotel...
Other trip Aug 29, 2014
Alden
LOVED IT
1 night trip Aug 20, 2014
"Excellent location and much better than hotel!"
- Great Location! Beautiful view of the harbor and very clean. The kitchen was great for snacks and of course, beer.
2 night trip Aug 15, 2014
mark21
"Best Hotel for Location"
Everything was great about the stay at Newport Bay. Easy to find and in the scenic part of Newport and great restaurants, walling distance. I will definitely go their again.
1 night trip Aug 18, 2014
"Great hotel!"
Great hotel in a perfect location. Staff awesome. Highly recommended and I'll definitely be coming back!
1 night family trip Aug 13, 2014
"Good service and location"
Stay at the bay club on our wedding night. Everything was great even though there was a hurricane on the 4th of July during our wedding. The ladies at the front desk were very helpful with check in and bag storage, and very pleasant people to talk to. Great location and rooms.
2 night business trip Jul 4, 2014
"Noisy staff"
Hotel was in perfect location in Newport. Room was spacious. Pull out sofa bed great $ for group of 4. Maids were so inconsiderate and loud every morning waking us up, no regard for the hotel guests hollering to each other down the halls. Missed tv in the bedroom
2 night trip Jul 30, 2014
"Very convenient"
Hotel staff was excellent and friendly. The place is a bit dated and could use some new furniture and mattresses.
2 night trip Jul 25, 2014
"My review"
Thoroughly enjoyed it. Loved the 2 private balconies
4 night trip Jul 7, 2014
Bob C
"Nightmare Hotel Experience"
When we arrived at this hotel at 2 AM after our flight being delayed due to terrible weather, there was no one at the hotel to let us in. We slept in our car behind the hotel till 5 AM when a passing policeman told us about a nearby Hyatt. Our phones had run out of battery and we could not search for hotels and there was a terrible storm and we were low on gas for the rental car. My kids were terrified and so scared and could not understand why we could not get in to the hotel. The next day I phoned the hotel and they did not really seem to think it was a big deal and told me there was a security guard on duty to let guests in late at night. We never saw a soul when we tried to get in. After a long conversation with Hotels.Com they finally decided to refund my money for a hotel I could never gain access to. This was a total travel nightmare. Do NOT ever stay at this hotel. Spend a few more dollars on the Hyatt at Goat Island. Great location and the service was impeccable.
2 night business trip Jul 9, 2014
Cheryl
"LOVED it! Will stay again!"
LOVED the history of our hotel. It was spacious, clean, and within walking distance of all kinds of restaurants and shopping. The staff was EXTREMELY helpful. Plenty of great parking. I can't say anything bad about it. We will DEFINITELY stay here again!
2 night family trip Jul 2, 2014
JenW
"Perfect Location"
Loved the location - in the middle of everything. The room was very spacious and comfortable. The kitchenette was a great plus!
2 night family trip Jun 26, 2014
Great location and value. Would have liked a bigger TV
2 night family trip Jun 24, 2014
Chuck
Like this hotel in general but do think it's overpriced. The staff were friendly and helpful. The room was very nice and clean. Biggest complaint is the queen size bed and, frankly, the toilet paper is too rough. Don't laugh, that can be important. Location was very good for walking around Newport, eating and shopping. Starbucks is a couple of blocks away and Pinkberry's is a short distance. It seemed to me that this area of Newport has turned itself into a tourist trap so do get off the main drag.
4 night trip Jun 15, 2014
Nellie
"Perfect location"
It was a great location. The rooms were comfortable. The kitchen was fully equipped. Parking was very convenient. Would recommend and stay at the same hotel if visiting again.
3 night trip Jun 10, 2014
J and A C
We really enjoyed our stay here. Everyone was very nice and helpful. We did not have an ice bucket in our room and asked them for one and instantly we had one in our room. The room was very nice and the whole place was really comfortable. It was very well located and you had an easy walk to what ever you wanted. Would stay here again.The
Other trip Jun 14, 2014
Bill and Cindy
"Very good place to stay but only 1 parking spot!"
The hotel itself was nice and I don't really have any complaints about that. Hotel is in an awesome location and the price was very reasonable. The guy that checked us in wasn't too helpful when it came to accommodating our 2nd car. We got a 2 bedroom suite for 2 couples coming from 2 different directions (NYC & BOS). The same guy seemed to be friendlier when we checked out. We ended up paying for overnight parking in the lot behind for $30 on Fri night and $40 on Sat night. Something to consider when booking.
2 night trip May 30, 2014
Jay
Perfect hotel right in the middle of downtown Newport!
Other trip Jun 2, 2014
Miranda
"Great for a Newport overnight"
Loved the spacious living/bedroom combo. This hotel is in the middle of the port neighborhood. Great restaurants and bars plus one mile from the Cliff Walk!
1 night business trip May 29, 2014