All hotels in Cape May, New Jersey, United States of America
205 W Beach Ave, Cape May, NJ, 08204, United States of America, ‏‎800-491-6126

"Family Fun at the Shack"
What a fun place! We took a family vacation over a holiday weekend and chose the Beach Shack based upon its reviews, dog friendliness, and facilities. We were not disappointed. The staff tried very hard to accommodate our every request, the pool was delightful and heated, and the facilities were very family friendly. A giant sandbox, on site restaurant, fire pit and plenty of chairs for lounging added to the fun. Families were everywhere having a great time. They even set up your lounge chair on the beach! We thoroughly enjoyed our family weekend and everyone agreed we would be back!
3 night family trip May 22, 2015
"Quite good, almost there."
I stayed at the Beach Shack for one night on a long driving trip around the eastern US. It's got a great location, right on the beach, and within easy walking distance of the small, historic downtown area. It's an upgraded old 1950s hotel that is looking for boutique status, but falls a bit short. The rooms, though, are quite comfortable and simple. Little fridge makes it possible to stay a few days, and keep some beverages cold. I went to check out at 7:30 am (didn't seem excessively early to me), and the office wasn't even open. had to call a phone number and make arrangements to leave. Not a good system. Oh, and the cable was out for a critical NBA playoff game. Not good. Free wifi was nice. All in all, a fine choice. But if you want the same location for half the price, there are others right the beach too.
1 night trip May 26, 2015
"Just Ok!"
Not worth the price. Bed was comfortable but a lot of broken and unfinished work in the room.
3 night family trip May 23, 2015
"Perfect Weekend Away"
My husband and I stayed Memorial Day weekend at the Beach Shack and had a wonderful time. The rooms could definitely use some updating but they were very clean and in working order. The location is perfect, the staff at The Rusty Nail was wonderful, especially the one bartender, John. We had a little mix up with service but since it was the first weekend of the summer a lot of new employees were being trained and didn't quite know the ropes yet. Overall we will definitely recommend this to our friends and family and look forward to another stay in the near future.
3 night romance trip May 22, 2015
"Pre-Memorial Day stay"
We were pleasantly surprised by the condition and convenience of this hotel. Not only is it across from the beach, but it is also within walking distance of the Washington Street shops and restaurants. Lounge chairs and umbrellas were provided at the beach and having an informal restaurant/bar with great food right on the property was a real plus. The only negative was that the band playing at the bar on the first afternoon/evening of our stay was rather loud (for my taste at least) and I found it annoying. The hotel and restaurant also accommodate pets which will delight my pet owning friends when I tell them!
2 night romance trip May 17, 2015
"Wonderful room wonderful view"
it was the best place ever, next time my husband and I want a getaway my husband and i will be at the beach shack
Other trip Oct 14, 2014
pa folks
WE were there for just one night.The room was clean and large. I have no complaints.It was nice to have a view of the beach.
1 night romance trip Oct 8, 2014
"back in time"
great staff, breakfast was great,great view
3 night trip with friends Oct 3, 2014
CHARLES
"Nice Property"
I thought it was nice though I thought the pictures online made it look more plush. Was very minimal in reality. Beds were great. Room was clean
Other trip Oct 9, 2014
Easy check in, convenient location good amenities.
Other trip Oct 6, 2014
swanbirds
"Moderately priced hotel in a great location"
The location was awesome as it is right across the street from the beach. The room was clean and the bed was comfortable. The other furniture was a questionable; not all the drawers worked and the sofa is a bit on the older side. The staff was responsive but not proactive.They will set up beach lounges, etc. and provide you with towels on the beach. I have nothing negative to say about this place, but probably would not stay there again. The hotel has a bar on site. They provide live entertainment for about five hours on Friday and Saturday nights. As the bar was right outside the door to our room, we had to listen to the entertainment whether we wanted to or not (we didn't). When the guy opened his set with Margaritaville, we started to look for somewhere else to go. After dinner and a long walk, the music was still going strong and we were cranking up the volume on the TV so we could hear it over the live entertainment. The scene repeated itself the next night. None of this is necessarily a bad thing; depends on what one is looking for. We were looking for a quite, relaxing weekend at the beach. If we wanted to sit at a bar and listen to someone doing covers of over-played songs, we can do that at home. Plenty of people were enjoying themselves and the live entertainment; it just wasn't what we wanted. I wouldn't discourage anyone from staying at the Beach Shack. It's a nice enough place, but we were scouting out other places for our next stay in Cape May.
2 night romance trip Oct 3, 2014
"Great comfort stay for the area"
clean room, comfortable, like the extras such as fridge & microwave, close to everything.
1 night trip with friends Sep 28, 2014
"No frills"
No frills, but working fridge (even freezer) and microwave a great feature. Two packs of caffeinated coffee with coffeemaker and half and half that didn't need to be refrigerated, yay. Lots of extra pillows and blankets. No phone or phone book. Had problem with the free wifi and the person at the desk was so heavily accented that I couldn't understand her. Would stay here again if sharing costs and didn't have to impress anyone. Dog friendly!
2 night trip Sep 25, 2014
"Overpriced"
Too many things broken or disrepair. Staff didn't seem to care, too busy visiting with friends. Rusty Nail is definitely for the under 30 crowd. Very casual to the point of unprofessional. I was offered pot pie as the special of the day. Really? we are at the beach, where is the seafood? I went never went back.
Other trip Oct 2, 2014
"Pet Friendly"
Noisy barking dog next door barking most of the evening. Television in adjoining rooms prevent sleeping until after 11:00 pm.
Other trip Sep 30, 2014
"Cozy room near the beach!!!!!"
Location of the Beach Shack was great ......across the street from the beach, close to restaurants and shopping areas! We would recommend the facility for a stay at the beach!!!!
mary
"Nice Hotel close to the beach"
We had a very nice weekend! The hotel is close to the beach! The hotel provides lounge chairs towels umbrellas and food service on the beach! No charge! The rusty nail provides food, entertainment and drinks. The staff was excellent. The rooms were clean!
Barn
"Decent hotel in good location"
We had a good stay. The hotel is just across the street from beach and there is a great bar on the grounds. The room furniture is run down and carpet dirty. The staff was pleasant.
Other trip Sep 27, 2014
"It was very nice"
We only stayed one nite, so it was a lot to squeeze into such a short trip .. Hotel staff was friendly and helpful . Great location with ample parking . Bar/restaurant on premises was convenient . Wish we could have spent a little more time .. Pics on site look like you have a private balcony area, but you don't, your actually having morning coffee sitting right next to your neighbors
1 night trip Sep 21, 2014
KC
"Love the location"
Hotel, staff and accomodations were great. Convenient to so many places and restaurants. Loved the Rusty Nail, music and staff. Will definitely return.
Other trip Sep 24, 2014
lon
"GOOD !"
Great location, great staff, nice MOTEL type accommodations..
Other trip Sep 24, 2014
"Nice & cozy"
Over all its a nice place to stay closed to all great location beach near by.
2 night business trip Sep 18, 2014
Rahman
This was our first stay at The Beach Shack and we had a great time. Very fun atmosphere at the outdoor bar and firepit. The beach is right across the street and it is a short walk into town and the Washington Street Mall. The room was no-frills but clean and had everything we needed for our 3 night stay (refrigerator, coffee maker, iron/ironing board). The bed was very comfortable. And we liked that it is dog-friendly even though we didn't bring our dog. We would definitely stay here again.
3 night family trip Sep 13, 2014
Bridget
"Old Dated Hotel"
horrible old dated hotel. cant believe they own the Congress hall. Smelled like mildew. Pictures are very deceiving.
2 night romance trip Sep 12, 2014
Ann
"Good experience"
Very nice stay. Had a wonderful time.
1 night trip Sep 12, 2014
"Do not stay here"
This hotel is dated, musty, so not like the pictures you should run. We can't believe it is owned by Congress Hall. Horrible.
2 night romance trip Sep 12, 2014
Ann
"Super"
really enjoyed our stay. I can't say anything more than I would go back in a minute. Brian
2 night trip Aug 31, 2014
Brian NYC
Favorite place to stay in cape may. Best tiki bar and fire pit.
Other trip Sep 7, 2014
"Great Location- Great stay"
Nice casual environment in a great location. All the sister properties are awesome, great bars and restaurants, plan to go back!
2 night trip Sep 2, 2014
For the price payed per night you definitely expect better room quality. The sofa bed area has no AC and it got too warm at night.
Other trip Sep 3, 2014
"Our Stay in Cape May NJ"
Great family vacation and we will be visiting again.
2 night trip Aug 27, 2014
Ken
"awesome"
loved it, everything about the hotel, it's staff and the service is excellent.
1 night trip Aug 15, 2014
Brian Sheehy
"OK but needs upgrades"
I get that this is the Jersey Shore and the hotels aren't amazing resorts like at other beaches, but I still expect more for the price paid. A 2 night stay was over $800 with taxes, and I don't think it's too much to ask that these hotels provide basic maintenance and upgrades. The keys had to be jiggled for several attempts before the door to our room could be opened or locked. The rooms don't have telephones, which would have been fine if I had cell phone service, but I did not. The bathroom sink leaked on my feet whenever I stood there to wash hands or brush teeth. They provide free wifi, but the signal was weak in our room and I was routinely disconnected. I was over all very disappointed with the hotel. To be fair, the location is wonderful. They also provide free towels, chairs, and umbrellas on the beach. There is also wait staff where you can order from their restaurant. That was the best part of the stay. The beach amenities were fantastic. That said, when my family and I go back to Cape May, I'll bring my own beach chairs and stay in a better maintained property.
2 night family trip Jul 20, 2014
Suzanne
"Not worth the money to stay near beach."
Our room was dark with little lighting, and overlooking a laundry facility. It was near the beach. I would rather have stayed a block or two away, stayed in nicer, more comfortable spot. We've been on vacation for nearly two weeks. It was the highest priced and least impressive of all the places that we've stayed in! I would not recommend staying here.
Other trip Jul 3, 2014
"Awesome beach hotel"
This was a last minute find for us and we couldn't have been happier. The hotel is a little older, but well maintained and very clean. The staff was helpful and polite. The attached restaurant/bar The Rusty Nail was nice but the service wasn't amazing. We got seated for breakfast one morning then had to track down a waitress to get served. The waitress (Emily) was super nice and took our order even though it wasn't her table. She even rushed our order. The food was delicious, but my boyfriend's breakfast burrito was missing salsa and they kept forgetting to bring it. The tiki bar could have used a couple extra bartenders. We had a hard time getting waited on there as well. So we tried another restaurant the next morning. But the hotel itself was very nice and we will definately recommend this hotel and we will be staying here again!
2 night trip Jun 21, 2014
Emily and Tom
"Beachy Casual, Relaxed Fun!"
The Beach Shack location was perfect and the Rusty Nail on the premises was the best. Pool was well maintained and great poolside food and drink service from the Rusty Nail. Going over to the Rusty Nail at night for dinner or drinks then listening to the live music was the best. The rooms were comfy and spacious. Interior was a little dated, bathroom fan didn't work, otherwise, all you need for a great beach stay! Awesome beach property and ammenities as well...chairs, towels, etc.
2 night trip Jun 17, 2014
JRTravels
"Cape May in late May early June-2014"
The beach was across the street,; couldn't get any closer! The motel was within walking distance of Washington Street where the shops are. The trolley tour of the area was enjoyable and not that expensive. The food where we ate was very good, on the pricey side, but not unreasonable considering it is a tourist area at the beach. The only downside as far as the hotel is concerned: It is DOG friendly. The first room we got was next to a room with a "barking dog". As soon as we entered the room, the dog sensed our presence and continuously barked. I voiced my dissatisfaction with the office and they promptly changed my room. If you don't like dogs, this is not the place to stay. However, Cape May is "dog friendly" and I did not see one person walking their dog that had a bag in their hand for clean-up? I didn't see any poop either.
Other trip Jun 4, 2014
Bill & Janice
A very nice place to stay. You feel like you are at a resort
Other trip Jun 3, 2014
angie
"Excellent location"
We loved our stay. Close to the beach. Loved the fire pit! Quiet at night after Rusty Nails Restaurant and live entertainment stops at 10. Walking distance to Cape May sights and entertainment.
Other trip Jun 1, 2014
"Great place on the beach."
I've been traveling thru Cape May for over 20 years but usually stayed down in Chincoteague on the way back north from the Outer Banks. This time we took the afternoon ferry and enjoyed a great evening and morning breakfast here. Perfect!
Other trip May 18, 2014
"can't get any closer to the water!"
i loved my stay - i thought the bed was super comfy & i really enjoyed being in the room... it was early in the season so the place was pretty empty and it was too foggy & cold to use the pool or the beach services... the one bad thing was i could hear the people next door clearly - having the TV on helped and luckily they were quiet overall, but i could still hear them as if they were in my room - the room was adjoined by a regular door, so it wasn't good at limitimg the noise... if the place were packed & they were noisier, i think it would have been a deal breaker... i would certainly return to the beach shack but i'd be nervous about noisy neighbors...
Other trip May 16, 2014
KayBee
"Never knew it was there"
Unfortunately it rained the whole time we were in Cape May, but lucky for us that our room was so comfortable and clean. Checking in and checking out weren't the quickest I've ever had, but the experiences weren't bad. The Beach Shack is in a great location, and I never even realized it was there. We will definitely stay there again!
1 night trip Oct 10, 2013
Lori
"Good location and the bar The Rusty Nail was nice"
Good overall.. We were there off peak and rates were good too. Liked the Rusty Nail bar too..
Other trip Oct 13, 2013
"Great on-the-beach location at a good value"
Friendly hotel staff made our short stay a perfect two-day getaway.
2 night trip Oct 6, 2013
MLM
"Really nice hotel, right across from the beach."
We stayed for two nights off season and had a great time. Its location is perfect - right across from the beach and a few blocks from town. Bed is awesome but bathroom could use updating. Fire pit outside provided a perfect spot to unwind with a cocktail and the staff were really nice. We definitely plan on returning.
Other trip Oct 9, 2013
jen
"beachfront"
nice place in a great location.....a little old but not too bad
2 night trip Oct 5, 2013
tom
"Nice hotel across from beach"
We spent a weekend at The Beach Shack in early October along with another couple. Our reservations were accurate and the front desk staff member who easily and quickly checked us in was very pleasant and helpful. She provided us with our room keys and a colorful Concierge book that listed background information and history about this hotel and several others within Cape May as well as the local farm which provides fresh produce and meats to many of the town's restaurants. Also included was a listing of "Things to do this Weekend" such as the Oktoberfest, pig roast and craft fair that were going on, as well as a book in the room that listed information on all of the local hotels, shopping, restaurants, etc. Our room was clean and comfortable and even had a small microwave, dishes and utensils for some light in-house fare. We did not have any issues or needs that would require us to have any further interaction with hotel staff, other than to check-out, which was equally pleasant and easy. Our stay was made especially enjoyable by the live entertainment (local singers/musicians) who played on the private "beach" grounds around the firepit, which proved to be most pleasant listening, even from our balcony. The Rusty Nail Restaurant, with it's large outdoor bar area, is conveniently located just next door.
Other trip Oct 7, 2013
Harriette
"Staff excellent all around! A+ Room. Lighting odd"
You must stay here. I loved my stay here! The staff was wonderful! The front desk employees were super friendly. I told them about a long strenuous, fitness event that I did earlier that weekend, and they chatted with me about it. Even asked if I recovered the next day. It really made me feel personally welcome. I love that they set up the chairs and towels for you at the beach. Honestly, one of my best hotel stays. The only thing that was a bit off was the lighting. When I entered there was a light switch by the door that did not immediately turn on any lights. I later found out it was connected to an outlet, which probably had a lamp there before. There was a lot of natural light. Truthfully, not a big thing. Just would be helpful to switch on the lights if you are carrying things in at night. I cannot wait to come back and stay here again!
2 night trip Sep 28, 2013
"Found our home at the shore!"
Fantastic! Great location--beach across the street and 3 blocks from Congress Hall; Great music every evening; Great food at The Rusty Nail (especially the fried oysters). Room was clean, spacious, fridge, microwave, 2 TV's and extra vanity space. Could actually sleep 4. If you just want to kick back and watch the ocean, you have a one stop location. Or you're only blocks from restaurants, specialty shops and dinner shows.
3 night trip Sep 21, 2013
Carol and Robert
"PERFECT HOTEL"
WENT FOR ONE NIGHT FOR A LITTLE GETAWAY.GREAT ROOM.CLOSE TO EVERYTHING.RUSTY NAIL HAS GREAT FOOD AND LOVED THE FIRE PIT AT NIGHT.WE WILL BE BACK.
1 night trip Sep 27, 2013